[INTP] INTPs and empathy - Page 9

INTPs and empathy

+ Reply to Thread
Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 104
Thank Tree84Thanks

This is a discussion on INTPs and empathy within the INTP Forum - The Thinkers forums, part of the NT's Temperament Forum- The Intellects category; Yeah, empathy is the ability to share the emotions of someone in a particular situation, whether or not you've literally ...

  1. #81
    INTJ - The Scientists

    Yeah, empathy is the ability to share the emotions of someone in a particular situation, whether or not you've literally 'been there' before. I've never starved but I feel terrible for people who are and I can vividly imagine the many levels of emotional and physical pain they go through.

    I think I'm pretty empathetic - I usually feel emotional whenever I see/hear anyone in pain. With the exception of tearing up if I don't have my guard up, it's not something that changes the way I act.

    But I admit I feel stronger emotion if I feel the reason for someone else's pain is logically justified. Kids being upset about anything, having a serious medical problem, being emotionally betrayed by someone they had good reasons to trust, being financially fucked, people grieving for lost loved ones, etc - I take this stuff seriously. People weeping or freaking out because their jerk boyfriend treated them badly for the umpteenth time, or they broke something they liked, or someone they barely know died - I feel bad that they are genuinely upset, but thinking 'get a grip' interferes with my empathy for them.
    The Phantom and ozasis thanked this post.

  2. #82
    INTP - The Thinkers

    Quote Originally Posted by The Phantom View Post
    Huh? I've never been in a war but I imagine having your home blown to smithereens when your innocent isn't a nice feeling. So I can empathize.

    1 : the imaginative projection of a subjective state into an object so that the object appears to be infused with it
    2 : the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner; also : the capacity for this

    So there was nothing wrong with what I said.


    LOL.
    while i do not disagree that you need to have experienced it exactly in order to have empathy, that would only be silly and impossible. i do however think that certain situations that you mentioned is too far off to have any real sense of what's going on emotionally. using the word "empathy" in those situations, to me, sounds silly and somewhat offensive. your use of the word is particulary strange then, when you say that you don't feel empathy in small everyday situations, but do when you see war and starving children.

  3. #83
    INTP - The Thinkers

    Quote Originally Posted by animalcule View Post
    Yeah, empathy is the ability to share the emotions of someone in a particular situation, whether or not you've literally 'been there' before. I've never starved but I feel terrible for people who are and I can vividly imagine the many levels of emotional and physical pain they go through.

    I think I'm pretty empathetic - I usually feel emotional whenever I see/hear anyone in pain. With the exception of tearing up if I don't have my guard up, it's not something that changes the way I act.

    But I admit I feel stronger emotion if I feel the reason for someone else's pain is logically justified. Kids being upset about anything, having a serious medical problem, being emotionally betrayed by someone they had good reasons to trust, being financially fucked, people grieving for lost loved ones, etc - I take this stuff seriously. People weeping or freaking out because their jerk boyfriend treated them badly for the umpteenth time, or they broke something they liked, or someone they barely know died - I feel bad that they are genuinely upset, but thinking 'get a grip' interferes with my empathy for them.
    agree with this 100%

  4. #84
    INTP - The Thinkers


    Quote Originally Posted by Ventricity View Post
    while i do not disagree that you need to have experienced it exactly in order to have empathy, that would only be silly and impossible. i do however think that certain situations that you mentioned is too far off to have any real sense of what's going on emotionally. using the word "empathy" in those situations, to me, sounds silly and somewhat offensive. your use of the word is particulary strange then, when you say that you don't feel empathy in small everyday situations, but do when you see war and starving children.
    Basically where I have the ability to empathize for war and starvation of innocent people, you don't. I can easily place myself in their shoes and can imagine such things vividly. Smaller things are just what they are - small! So as far as I'm concerned, don't warrant an emotional response.

  5. #85
    INTP - The Thinkers

    Hi,

    I've just registered because earlier i took an empathy test in which i got 72. However, a few months ago i did take the Myers-Briggs test, which placed me within the INTP. Now, it's kind of odd that most INTPs score so low, or perhaps it's the opposite.

    Either way, i do read emotions very well, and that may be tied to several journeys i have made inside my mind, which allowed me to understand the cause-effect of emotions, fears, pulsions, etc. In a certain, it's like i'm able to mimic facial/eye expression, synthesizing them inside my mind. I also feel a certain vibration from people, and often emit different ones myself expecting some kind of feedback.

    Actually i believe that certain traumatic events in your life may block/unblock the emotional/feeling side of your mind, and with the proper discipline you attenuate mood amplitudes and may use your inate intuition to sort of collapse those different perceptive dimensions, thus creating that 0 moment, which is a not simple déjà vu feeling, more like a sequence of déjà vus.

    Also, activities related to art (part-time musician) or risky sports (surfing/skating), may help one develop this. Sex too, probably. And wandering through nature as well, as you definitely have to get rid of all the "noise" in your perception/feeling.

    Or perhaps i do not belong in the INTP category anymore. But i've always had this "3rd person" perspective as a kid, and nowadays i "switch modes" quite easily.

    Anyone out there more or less like this?
    username and Miya thanked this post.

  6. #86
    INTP - The Thinkers

    I know HOW to be technically empathetic. I read a book on letter-writing to improve my social skills... But inside I find it hard to be empathetic with people especially when something was very much their own fault and they just cant see that. But I tell them they will be fine, this time will pass, and things will be easier.

  7. #87
    ENTP - The Visionaries

    You probably was forced to learn this like i was forced to learn how to socialize in school

  8. #88
    INTP - The Thinkers


    Quote Originally Posted by MSHZR 0083 View Post
    Hi,

    I've just registered because earlier i took an empathy test in which i got 72. However, a few months ago i did take the Myers-Briggs test, which placed me within the INTP. Now, it's kind of odd that most INTPs score so low, or perhaps it's the opposite.

    Either way, i do read emotions very well, and that may be tied to several journeys i have made inside my mind, which allowed me to understand the cause-effect of emotions, fears, pulsions, etc. In a certain, it's like i'm able to mimic facial/eye expression, synthesizing them inside my mind. I also feel a certain vibration from people, and often emit different ones myself expecting some kind of feedback.

    Actually i believe that certain traumatic events in your life may block/unblock the emotional/feeling side of your mind, and with the proper discipline you attenuate mood amplitudes and may use your inate intuition to sort of collapse those different perceptive dimensions, thus creating that 0 moment, which is a not simple déjà vu feeling, more like a sequence of déjà vus.

    Also, activities related to art (part-time musician) or risky sports (surfing/skating), may help one develop this. Sex too, probably. And wandering through nature as well, as you definitely have to get rid of all the "noise" in your perception/feeling.

    Or perhaps i do not belong in the INTP category anymore. But i've always had this "3rd person" perspective as a kid, and nowadays i "switch modes" quite easily.

    Anyone out there more or less like this?
    Yes. I scored 68 on the empathy quotient test. I don't know if I learned empathy, or if it's something natural for me. I have undergone quite a few traumatic experiences, so maybe that's the reason for my emotional sensitivity. I cannot fathom causing others pain because, emotionally, I've been to hell and back.

  9. #89
    Unknown Personality


    as expected, it is mostly the women who seem to be (aware of being) empathetic :))

    i remember having a "collection of feelings" as a child and teenager, i knew how it felt to be homeless, a thief, a homosexual, a liar, an orphan, etc, quite an unpleasant and heavy thing for a youngster. i remember i once sat with my mother at the kitchen table when i was 10 and there was either lonely shepherd of the wind of change on the radio and i told my mum it was the music written for someone who died. i perceived it that way without conscious reasons behind it, and was irritated when my mother told me it was a "normal" song.

    in the very early 20s this finally matured to sth deeply compassionate inside me. however, i cannot show emotion in front of others, even if inside i'm a gurgling volcano. when no one's there i'm someone who smiles, laughs and cries at the most minute expressions of emotion in myself or others (documentaries, films, series, even anime; also, when reading something beautiful).

    empathy is both a gift and a burden! it's both beautiful and heartbreaking.
    username thanked this post.

  10. #90
    INTP - The Thinkers


    Quote Originally Posted by miyachanfan View Post
    as expected, it is mostly the women who seem to be (aware of being) empathetic :))

    i remember having a "collection of feelings" as a child and teenager, i knew how it felt to be homeless, a thief, a homosexual, a liar, an orphan, etc, quite an unpleasant and heavy thing for a youngster. i remember i once sat with my mother at the kitchen table when i was 10 and there was either lonely shepherd of the wind of change on the radio and i told my mum it was the music written for someone who died. i perceived it that way without conscious reasons behind it, and was irritated when my mother told me it was a "normal" song.

    in the very early 20s this finally matured to sth deeply compassionate inside me. however, i cannot show emotion in front of others, even if inside i'm a gurgling volcano. when no one's there i'm someone who smiles, laughs and cries at the most minute expressions of emotion in myself or others (documentaries, films, series, even anime; also, when reading something beautiful).

    empathy is both a gift and a burden! it's both beautiful and heartbreaking.
    I also have a really difficult time showing my emotions to others. I would much rather lead people to believe I'm stone-hearted, when, in fact, I'm excessively kind.

    Are you a 5w4?


 

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. *Note* To protect our forum from spam, we require all users to verify their email. We will send you a confirmation email after you've created an account. Be sure to check your "spam" box if you don't receive it in your inbox.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Similar Threads

  1. [INFJ] troublesome empathy
    By Pacifique in forum INFJ Forum - The Protectors
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-04-2012, 12:48 AM
  2. [INFP] Empathy
    By shazza in forum INFP Forum - The Idealists
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-21-2010, 02:01 PM
  3. Empathy VS Symapathy
    By Jack Rabid in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-04-2009, 10:13 PM
  4. Neurology and empathy
    By red riding hood in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-13-2009, 05:56 PM
  5. Physical Empathy
    By Dr. Metallic in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-24-2009, 06:35 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:56 AM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
© 2014 PersonalityCafe