The Tide of Humanity - Page 14

The Tide of Humanity

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 142
Thank Tree208Thanks

This is a discussion on The Tide of Humanity within the Articles forums, part of the Announcements category; Great post!...

  1. #131

    Great post!

  2. #132

    Continue guys, i'm just reading !

  3. #133

    I recommend that anyone concerned with this epidemic read Jack Donovan's the Way of Men.

    In my opinion, necessity, not meaning, has become the creeping norm. It is not necessary that you have an identity, any strength, or heritage. There is a common scourge among nationalists and communists, and most people inbetween, and that's the notion of the business profit. It's a dead, cold, idea that strips you of your worth as a worker, or your meaning as an individual.

    Business profit is why global trade preys on undeveloped countries - and why you're rejected on grounds of hate speech. It doesn't care about what you believe in, who your family is, who you vote for, it just wants to keep on churning money. What do you get? Small bursts of dopamine, pleasure, to try and satisfy yourself.

    People are plenty willing to demand something for them. But they rarely lay down themselves on the line (which is partly why hackers are so successful, because they can get quite a lot by manipulating the tools of modern civilisation instead of risking their entire lives). And right now, I'm willing to admit I'm one of those people. I don't want to give up everything I have for the things I believe in, because I have people who care about me in normal life, and honestly?

    We're not raised to fight, climb, struggle, anymore. We are raised to work and enjoy ourselves.

    I'm not calling everyone in this thread, the forum, or the internet to action, to throw down the shackles of civilisation and torch their nearest government building. Balance is a thing.
    I just think it should be entirely necessary to rethink the entire way we live our lives, before we or future generations regret it.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PersonalityCafe.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #134

    Quote Originally Posted by metalkettle View Post
    I recommend that anyone concerned with this epidemic read Jack Donovan's the Way of Men.

    In my opinion, necessity, not meaning, has become the creeping norm. It is not necessary that you have an identity, any strength, or heritage. There is a common scourge among nationalists and communists, and most people inbetween, and that's the notion of the business profit. It's a dead, cold, idea that strips you of your worth as a worker, or your meaning as an individual.

    Business profit is why global trade preys on undeveloped countries - and why you're rejected on grounds of hate speech. It doesn't care about what you believe in, who your family is, who you vote for, it just wants to keep on churning money. What do you get? Small bursts of dopamine, pleasure, to try and satisfy yourself.

    People are plenty willing to demand something for them. But they rarely lay down themselves on the line (which is partly why hackers are so successful, because they can get quite a lot by manipulating the tools of modern civilisation instead of risking their entire lives). And right now, I'm willing to admit I'm one of those people. I don't want to give up everything I have for the things I believe in, because I have people who care about me in normal life, and honestly?

    We're not raised to fight, climb, struggle, anymore. We are raised to work and enjoy ourselves.

    I'm not calling everyone in this thread, the forum, or the internet to action, to throw down the shackles of civilisation and torch their nearest government building. Balance is a thing.
    I just think it should be entirely necessary to rethink the entire way we live our lives, before we or future generations regret it.
    this didn't make any sense to me. "necessity, not meaning has become the creeping norm." necessity of what? do you mean finding meaning in life? none of your post is really making any sense to me.

  6. #135

    the tide of humanity, is a festering stinking mess, but floating on top is the cream of the crop that makes life worth living

  7. #136

    Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    this didn't make any sense to me. "necessity, not meaning has become the creeping norm." necessity of what? do you mean finding meaning in life? none of your post is really making any sense to me.
    As in what's necessary, minimally, to live a life, provided you have reward structures. You have to find meaning yourself, which is why so many people are depressed. Otherwise, you walk solitarily wondering what you're doing wrong as you balance your life to the requirements of modern society. Nobody has respect for their country anymore because governments have widely become untrustworthy, and politics has become so entrenching and broad that it's essentially pointless to try and have specific ideas unless you're running for office- so you don't even have the identity of American, British, because why bother?
    It's been stripped away for the sake of making you work alongside the other masses easier. Perhaps I'm not wording this correctly, but I know I'm not wrong, because most people don't have a real place in life that they can say they belong to.

  8. #137

    Quote Originally Posted by metalkettle View Post
    As in what's necessary, minimally, to live a life, provided you have reward structures. You have to find meaning yourself, which is why so many people are depressed. Otherwise, you walk solitarily wondering what you're doing wrong as you balance your life to the requirements of modern society. Nobody has respect for their country anymore because governments have widely become untrustworthy, and politics has become so entrenching and broad that it's essentially pointless to try and have specific ideas unless you're running for office- so you don't even have the identity of American, British, because why bother?
    It's been stripped away for the sake of making you work alongside the other masses easier. Perhaps I'm not wording this correctly, but I know I'm not wrong, because most people don't have a real place in life that they can say they belong to.
    you know, that's why i think nationalism is a welcome concept. i understand wanting to be an enlightened person that loves everyone on the planet and would never dream of waging war against another country for any reason, but that's looking at humanity through a distorted lens that filters out reality. you could say, well, we could make it a reality but that would imply everyone would have to jump on board. there's so much evil doing in this world, in a vast ocean how would one filter it out? condensed into smaller seas perhaps that would be more of a possibility. governments untrustworthy or just runs things contrary to certain people's opinions? i choose trust, and if something isn't right to your liking then it's our responsibility to try and effect a change.

  9. #138

    Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    you know, that's why i think nationalism is a welcome concept. i understand wanting to be an enlightened person that loves everyone on the planet and would never dream of waging war against another country for any reason, but that's looking at humanity through a distorted lens that filters out reality. you could say, well, we could make it a reality but that would imply everyone would have to jump on board. there's so much evil doing in this world, in a vast ocean how would one filter it out? condensed into smaller seas perhaps that would be more of a possibility. governments untrustworthy or just runs things contrary to certain people's opinions? i choose trust, and if something isn't right to your liking then it's our responsibility to try and effect a change.
    Well said. I think family is one of the best ways to form people with a sense of value, even if they're skeptical to things like this, because then at least they have a strict group they can rely on, since we do live in a world where strangers pass by each other.
    I'm surprised this is a debated topic, but here we are.
    Penny thanked this post.

  10. #139

    Quote Originally Posted by steelnerve View Post
    I understand you point of view. If I am right, you are concerned with the way people are getting stagnant. Only the crazy ideas are in circulation, and social media owns it. I myself look at people going to a place or an event just to post the event on facebook or some other website with a phone that has the camera pointed towards them snapping pics like that's the only use of it. Just as Steve-O said, it's the age of the selfie. But is there anything else other than that? I wonder, I'll have to travel a lot to find that answer, probably returning with an unsatisfactory answer to the question. Laziness is the result of lack of motivation. I was given an mp3 player when I turned 12, just so that I can stay mum. I ended up dismantling it later to find what plays the music in it. Same goes for Android devices. Some of the people are into bringing changes. I would mention Cyanogenmod and paranoid android as examples of these. Some people even consider cell phones as a way to keep a better check on their health. The technology is integrating within ourselves, how the integration will progress is a decision that lies with us. You seem to be an active thinker. I might be going a bit off-topic here, but your post is compelling enough to talk upon.
    And this is where my sister-in-law and I disagree drastically. She has such robot phobia that she cannot even bear to hear people talking about AI. She gets physically ill. I tried to get to the bottom of it in a psychological way, but it seems even she doesn't know why she is so afraid. It borders on the fear of death (IMO).
    I actually take Stephen Hawking's view that the only way people will be balanced is to merge with technology. So here we have two scenarios, one separating robots completely from people, enslaving them, using humans as batteries, or just killing humans off. The second scenario, and the least dramatic and more realistic one is that the future us will be kind of like cyborgs, and live longer, better lives. That's the scenario I will choose for the time being. Not to open any cans of worms, here, but this topic fascinates me and I just had to jump in :-)
    Last edited by Cacaia; 09-13-2019 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Miispeled Hawking

  11. #140

    Quote Originally Posted by Humaning View Post
    I think we live in an age of Rennaissance. Submitting art and working on science has never been so accessible to the public. We don't get out and march up and down as often, but what is the point of that? What is the great peril we are in? If our freedom and/or comfort was more under question this same people would not be so complaisant. I don't know why denigrating the suppossed proletariats remains fashionable. There are amazing things happening all over the world and the whole can benefit from it by the density of our connectivity. I think as a species we are on the right track. Still lazy and fearful, as we have always been, but steadily going towards complexity inspite of these weaknesses.
    Interestingly, connectivity also brought the unexpected realisation of the many differences existing between people, of status, and more importantly, of happiness. My parents experienced a sort of happiness in their childhood and early adult life that could only be reciprocated by a closed-doors policy country. I'll concentrate on this one thing because it was new to me.

    In short, they did not realize their short-comings, even though they did not have access to many books, songs, or even foods (during the last years of communism though they did after, and would sometimes still come in contact with "foreign" elements) because there weren't stark contrasts within the society to spark differences.

    People in the past, such as in the 18-19th century, at least in parts of continental Europe, didn't know about certain things that they were missing out on, because they never had contact with them and it was harder to obtain audio-visual materials.

    People in the countryside might have lived in conditions that today are called poor (water source was river, no refrigerators, no tv, transportation done with animals, bad roads, diseases, toilet in the yard outside, etc.), but since everybody was in the same situation, they weren't saddened by it and didn't realize their condition, and were in fact happy. Minus cases or violence or theft probably. Today we are bombarded by stark societal contrasts and much deeper differences between countries in terms of technological advancement and sense of security, and we get exposed to them everyday.

    Now we compare countries or states on a daily basis and tend to denigrate our own places of origin, and there's massive migration and mixing.

    It's harder for people to live simple lives now. It's also harder to teach your children that they don't need to do 400 activities in their free time, get 4 degrees, 5 diplomas, and be the next nobel-prize winner to feel respected by the society and be happy. At least we have more science.

    The thoughts of having to exercise/sitting too much or choosing their foods by organic quality and ingredients used to be very foreign to them for example; or climate change and death of species.

    I would say I like it more now though, of course, though I wish I could fix certain problems within the society.
    Last edited by Aarya; 09-13-2019 at 10:47 AM.


     
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [ESTP] Natural Killers ¯Turning the Tide of Battle
    By asewland in forum ESTP Forum - The Doers
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 08-05-2017, 07:37 AM
  2. [INFP] Humanity
    By lothweneriniel in forum INFP Forum - The Idealists
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-02-2011, 05:19 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:57 PM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
© 2014 PersonalityCafe
 

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0