[Enneagram Type 9] "Cauterizing the wound," more 9w1 or 1w9?

"Cauterizing the wound," more 9w1 or 1w9?

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Thank Tree7Thanks
  • 1 Post By ruskiix
  • 2 Post By Dalton
  • 3 Post By tanstaafl28
  • 1 Post By caramel_choctop

This is a discussion on "Cauterizing the wound," more 9w1 or 1w9? within the Body Triad - Types 8,9,1 forums, part of the Enneagram Personality Theory Forum category; So I've noticed my coping mechanism of choice in relationships, once things go truly bad, tends to start out with ...

Type 1w9

"Cauterizing the wound," more 9w1 or 1w9?

So I've noticed my coping mechanism of choice in relationships, once things go truly bad, tends to start out with a very 9-ish dissociation and numbness, and then I tend to just dive in and use that state to bring up everything left related to the situation that can still hurt, and bring it up until it stops hurting and all the weakness left in the situation is burned out. So, whatever is still vulnerable or weak, I wear out while still spaced out in a 9 sort of way, since I can take it all like that (and if I go too far, the 9ish numbness just gets that much stronger).

I've been wondering lately if I'm 9w1 or 1w9, since I seem very strong in both and the distinction isn't huge, but since this seems to be probably one of the most distinct things I do, it seems like a good start. Does anyone else relate to this? I know 1s are focused on not making mistakes, on being perfect, which I think is what this is. I am a masochist, but this isn't about wallowing so much as making sure if the situation repeats itself, I can handle it more rationally in the future. But it's only possible with the 9 numbness, so maybe that's more 9w1 than I realize?

Also, I've read a decent amount about this, but. Can you be close enough to two types to be essentially half and half? Because I feel like I slip back and forth between 9 and 1 so much that neither is really stronger. And instinctual variants seem split too--I'm very sx with 9, very sp with 1, but not at all the other way around. I mostly settle on 1w9 because it seems to explain why I pass as INTJ sometimes (despite being very INFJ), but. Sometimes I really doubt which is stronger.
    sweethomealabama thanked this post.

Type 4w5

FWIW, I do this too, the whole masochistic dwelling on pain until it burns away forever, never to return.

Type 5w6

Quote Originally Posted by ruskiix View Post
    So I've noticed my coping mechanism of choice in relationships, once things go truly bad, tends to start out with a very 9-ish dissociation and numbness, and then I tend to just dive in and use that state to bring up everything left related to the situation that can still hurt, and bring it up until it stops hurting and all the weakness left in the situation is burned out. So, whatever is still vulnerable or weak, I wear out while still spaced out in a 9 sort of way, since I can take it all like that (and if I go too far, the 9ish numbness just gets that much stronger).
    Very 9ish.

I've been wondering lately if I'm 9w1 or 1w9, since I seem very strong in both and the distinction isn't huge, but since this seems to be probably one of the most distinct things I do, it seems like a good start. Does anyone else relate to this? I know 1s are focused on not making mistakes, on being perfect, which I think is what this is. I am a masochist, but this isn't about wallowing so much as making sure if the situation repeats itself, I can handle it more rationally in the future. But it's only possible with the 9 numbness, so maybe that's more 9w1 than I realize?
    I think the distinction between 1w9 and 9w1 is rather substantial. 9s will go to great lengths to avoid conflict.
    1s are rather perfectionistic, hyper-critical, and self-righteous. They aren't going to avoid conflict so much.

Also, I've read a decent amount about this, but. Can you be close enough to two types to be essentially half and half? Because I feel like I slip back and forth between 9 and 1 so much that neither is really stronger. And instinctual variants seem split too--I'm very sx with 9, very sp with 1, but not at all the other way around. I mostly settle on 1w9 because it seems to explain why I pass as INTJ sometimes (despite being very INFJ), but. Sometimes I really doubt which is stronger.
    I'd be more inclined to believe that each probably holds more sway over you at different times, depending on your mood and circumstances. Your tritype and instinctual stacking will also have a role to play.
    ruskiix, sweethomealabama and Artorias thanked this post.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PersonalityCafe.com
    Advertisements

That sounds like a very 1 reaction. I get caught up in various negative emotions, but the only way I can get out of them is to take action. Getting it out of my system doesn't work for me because it encourages narcotisation.
    ruskiix thanked this post.

Type 8w9

well, damn. now i don't know if my 1w9 should be a 9w1, because I used to be a masochist until I literally went clinically psychotic. And since then, I've gotten through things by being proactive.

I'm in some weird phase where I actually ask my mom "So, what's the healthy way people do this grieving thing? I'm still in shock, so should I dive inside and use this as a time to explore before I close off, or just go about what I would have done if I hadn't been given the bad news. Not ignoring it, rather watching it subtly change my usual M.O. and trusting my gut to know that I'll come up with a "fix".

Sounds like I shifted from 9w1 to 1w9 after my mind was basically destroyed and rebuilt (over a year of chronic acute psychosis, triggered by Zen meditation... a meditation which I continued even amidst the psychosis).

I think I went beyond Burning-Out-The-Issue-In-Numbness and have replaced my aversion to discomfort with an aversion to complacency. I see my Zen thing as resting on Numbness-Laurels, and it feels wrong and squicky to go back to that.

In true INFJ style, I answered my own question.

Now to figure out if 4w5 is truly my primary, bc my main "itches" are very Change-the-World'y and very VERY social. No dreamy.