What a cognitive function is.

What a cognitive function is.

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
Thank Tree8Thanks

This is a discussion on What a cognitive function is. within the Cognitive Functions forums, part of the Personality Type Forums category; Cognitive functions, are processes of the cognition. They are not behaviors, they are not philosophies, they're not magic, they're not ...

  1. #1

    What a cognitive function is.

    Cognitive functions, are processes of the cognition. They are not behaviors, they are not philosophies, they're not magic, they're not a language, they're not a culture, they are not a government, they're not math, they're not animals, they're not poetry, they're not professors nor students, and they're definitely not unicorns. Anything that is not a process of cognition means that it is not a cognitive function.

    There are two types of cognitive functions:
    1. There are perceptive functions
    2. And there are judgement functions

    There are two different directions a function can take:
    1. An extraverted direction which means external from self.
    2. An introverted direction which means internal to self.

    There are two different types of perceptive functions:
    1. There is sensation which deals with perceiving sensations constantly. A sensation does not mean senses. There are sensations and there are senses. Senses perceive sensations, senses are not sensations.

    2. There is intuition which deals with perceiving possibilities, and underlying meanings constantly. An intuition is not a sensation nor is it a sense. The senses can perceive intuitions, but senses are not intuitions.

    3. A sense is how we perceive. A perceptive function is what we perceive. Sensors perceive sensations through the senses, Intuitives perceive through the senses. There are also way more senses then the common known five senses which also help us perceive.

    There are two judgement functions:
    1. There is feeling which is a judgement that derives from a core of harmony and discord to acquire peace/contentment. It can deal with either facts or opinions but facts eventually mold or help induce opinions.

    2. There is thinking which is a judgement that derives from the core of acquiring and utilization of facts to acquire resources, it has nothing to do with opinions unless the opinion is judged as fact. Resources can be anything from materialistic possessions to Intellection knowledge or skill.

    The cognitive functions are processes which means they are a system and follow the rules of a system. Once the gears of senses start to perceive/rotate, the perceptive function gear starts rotating which in turn produces perceptions. A process is when one thing affects another thing which in turn produces an effect that can lead to the production of other things. In other words cognitive functions are explainable and none of them are mystical. Some may seem mystical but they are either misunderstood or some people just cant comprehend them. None of you are special in relation to others, none of you are better in relation to others. Instead each of you are individuals on your own journey trying to discover yourself and how to use that self to relate to the world around you and within you. We all have a place in the system of life as gears that are part of existence.
    Pancreatic Pandora and Eggsies thanked this post.



  2. #2
    ENTP - The Visionaries

    I am assuming that when you say "process of cognition" this means "process of acquiring knowledge," to put it in layman's terms.

  3. #3

    Quote Originally Posted by PaladinX View Post
    I am assuming that when you say "process of cognition" this means "process of acquiring knowledge," to put it in layman's terms.
    I was actually referring to this definition of cognition:
    Cognition is the process by which the sensory input is transformed, reduced, elaborated, stored, recovered, and used.
    The "process of acquiring knowledge" can also be used instead of "process of cognition", if its better understood that way.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PersonalityCafe.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    ENTP - The Visionaries

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Logic View Post
    I was actually referring to this definition of cognition:


    The "process of acquiring knowledge" can also be used instead of "process of cognition", if its better understood that way.
    Hmmm that definition seems to rely upon a posteriori knowledge and neglects a priori knowledge.

    This is dictionary.com's definition:

    the act or process of knowing; perception.


    EDIT:

    I think the point I am driving at is that you define "Cognitive functions" as "processes of cognition." I really don't like when a derivative of a word is used to describe the original word as the dictionary is often wont to do. My interest here is in the idea of the topic itself "What a cognitive function is," rather than the descriptions of types of functions. Telling me what types of "cognitive functions" are does not tell me what a "cognitive function" is.

  6. #5

    Quote Originally Posted by PaladinX View Post
    Hmmm that definition seems to rely upon a posteriori knowledge and neglects a priori knowledge.

    This is dictionary.com's definition:

    the act or process of knowing; perception.
    I see what you are saying and heres my explanation why I chose that definition instead of others:

    A cognitive function is a process and only a process. We can be born with the process but we are not born with innate facts or opinions. Instead its later on after birth that we start acquiring facts and/or opinions. The question is...where do these facts and opinions originate from? The answer is that facts and opinions are originaly conceived through the use of our cognitive functions, the processes that we innately use to acquire knowledge. The only true priori in this case is the process but not the knowledge, so therefore someone just born cant just know. We have to perceive first before we can ever just know anything.

    Going into Jungs collective unconscious it must be understood that all that knowledge from previous generations and so on, all came from the use of their cognitive functions processing information. The process was the first step though, the intake of information was the second step, and the "knowing" is the effect of these two steps.

    Now going to the origin of the universe it can be said that all knowledge already exists without us, and within us we can unlock this knowledge, but in order to unlock this priori knowledge, we first must use our processes to decipher this information to acquire such knowledge. In other words the priori knowledge may be within us but its the process that brings up this ancient knowledge of the universe from within us so we can become aware of it.

    The definition I used refers to the process of intaking information, whether its from within or without but It may not necessarily lead to "knowing" or else everyone would just "know" when they use their process, and the difference of opinions proves that not everyone just knows.

    Also the definition from dictionary.com seems to correlate with Jungs perceptive functions and not cognition as a whole.
    PaladinX thanked this post.

  7. #6

    @PaladinX , I just saw your edit and you have a point. Im in agreement that we should just use "the process of acquiring knowledge" instead. You are right that a derivative should not describe the original word, I didnt catch that when I wrote the thread. Thanks.
    PaladinX thanked this post.

  8. #7
    Unknown

    This is why I vote for the removal of the word "function" for the term altogether, though I don't know what word would take its place. Framing these entities as mere processes of cognition is only looking at one limb of the entire elephant.

  9. #8

    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricSparkle View Post
    This is why I vote for the removal of the word "function" for the term altogether, though I don't know what word would take its place. Framing these entities as mere processes of cognition is only looking at one limb of the entire elephant.
    Try not to misunderstand me, I think that "personality" as a whole is complex with many levels that go beyond cognitive functions, but its the Jungian cognitive functions themselves that are only processes and nothing more. Other parts of our personalities may be different and consists of different factors that make us who we are but we must understand these factors for what they are and not for what they are not. A process is a process and anyone trying to look beyond a process when talking about a process is missing the core of what exactly a process is and consists of.

  10. #9
    Unknown

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Logic View Post
    Try not to misunderstand me, I think that "personality" as a whole is complex with many levels that go beyond cognitive functions, but its the Jungian cognitive functions themselves that are only processes and nothing more. Other parts of our personalities may be different and consists of different factors that make us who we are but we must understand these factors for what they are and not for what they are not. A process is a process and anyone trying to look beyond a process when talking about a process is missing the core of what exactly a process is and consists of.
    Yes, process=process. But is "function" really the right name for them in the first place? A lot of people seem to think because of this that a process has to be 1+2+3=3+2+1 to be Ti, flowers=love to be Fe and 1,2,Macarena to be Ne, but I find that approach too reductionistic to work with the complexity of our heads. What tells is the overall pattern and mindset of the individual.

  11. #10
    ENTP - The Visionaries

    Is process really the right word? 'Function' essentially means 'action.' 'Process' essentially means a 'series of actions.'

    Function: the kind of action or activity proper to a person, thing, or institution; the purpose for which something is designed or exists; role.

    Process: a systematic series of actions directed to some end.


     
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cognitive Function: Ne vs Ni
    By MegaTuxRacer in forum Articles
    Replies: 284
    Last Post: 02-22-2019, 11:32 AM
  2. How much of each cognitive function do YOU think you have?
    By thehigher in forum Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 07-10-2014, 01:18 PM
  3. Which cognitive function this is?
    By Lemur in forum Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-20-2014, 05:03 AM
  4. What cognitive function is this?
    By idoh in forum Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-06-2013, 10:08 PM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-26-2012, 12:29 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:11 PM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
© 2014 PersonalityCafe
 

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0