Internship

Internship

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
Thank Tree13Thanks

This is a discussion on Internship within the Education & Career Talk forums, part of the Topics of Interest category; I'm a undergrad college junior right now but I've never got an internship because during my sophomore year I thought ...

  1. #1

    Internship

    I'm a undergrad college junior right now but I've never got an internship because during my sophomore year I thought I was not qualified for any out there. Up until this point I still don't think I can do much.

    I happened to talk to a staff of the career development in my school a few days ago. I started being very timid and confused, saying, "I don't think I'm qualified for any internship.... it's like I don't have all the required skills and I'm just average at what I'm doing..." Then she abruptly interrupted me and said, "It is an internship."

    I understand her point. But shouldn't you just not waste anyone's time if you are not helpful to anyone? I guess I can do certain thing because at least I'm a normal person who can handle her life smoothly on a daily basis, and I do have certain skills, but when I start to think more about job and internship, like really seriously thinking about that matter, I'm fully convinced that I am not good enough for any position I have seen online. She said that I was psyching myself out. I don't know.

    ////

    First of all, how do you read the qualification/ requirement on the internship position information and properly evaluate yourself? For example, "excellent photoshop skill," "Excellent oral and written communications skills; able to provide outstanding customer service to exhibitors, vendors, sponsors, etc" "strong organizational skills are a must." (These are random items.) How to you evaluate those bold words? What do they even mean? What is the standard for "excellent, strong, and outstanding?" How do you know how well you meet those criteria?

    Sure I can communicate through writing, as what I'm doing now and hopefully you guys understand what I'm trying to say, but I don't think it's excellent, just average things everyone can do, and I always make grammar mistakes. (My oral is really awful but the weak points here don't matter because I already know that I don't qualified for it) The problem is that I don't know if I am assessing myself accurately and that if my ability match the criteria, which I don't know either.

    And the "a must" thing is so strong that I immediately know I fail on that part. I am not an expert on all those things, like I'm not an English major or someone who has been working at customer service for ten years. I consider my skill level on all the above as just the level of an average guy on the street, or worse than that. But hey, if you tell me, "you must do the customer service tomorrow!" I will try my best doing that, even though my oral is really bad, but I can do good, hopefully, at other parts of customer service to try compensating the verbal part, like all the behind-the-scene work.

    Second, let's say there are ten items on the list of qualifications, and I meet 8 or 9 of them but is really weak at the remaining one or two, should I still apply for the position?

    Third, how do those of you who have done both summer and fall/ spring internships feel? Are the fall/ spring semester internship generally more stressful because of schoolwork than summer internship, at a time when you are free of study?
    Now I think I'm not prepared for internship in summer, and thinking about the alternative of fall internship, and learn as much as I can during the summer.

    Last question, is it reaaaally bad for me not to do any internship during the upcoming summer, which is before my SENIOR year? Will it be too late if I put it off to the fall? I feel really bad because I have friends who have already been doing that since last semester (her first semester of junior year).
    unINFalliPle thanked this post.



  2. #2

    Hmm we are all inexperienced and in need of some guidance before having any experience anyways; and then an internship means helping the intern fit in, so that it's expected that the intern would need initial guidance anyways.

    Also, compare yourself to the other graduates. Aren't most of them inexperienced and similar to you? So you don't really have to worry that much.

    As for the list of desired traits, I'd say don't worry too much about it. Try to go to the interviews, and see what they feel about you. If you satisfy the majority of the list then it's actually good.

  3. #3

    Quote Originally Posted by uncertain View Post
    I'm a undergrad college junior right now but I've never got an internship because during my sophomore year I thought I was not qualified for any out there. Up until this point I still don't think I can do much.

    I happened to talk to a staff of the career development in my school a few days ago. I started being very timid and confused, saying, "I don't think I'm qualified for any internship.... it's like I don't have all the required skills and I'm just average at what I'm doing..." Then she abruptly interrupted me and said, "It is an internship."

    I understand her point. But shouldn't you just not waste anyone's time if you are not helpful to anyone? I guess I can do certain thing because at least I'm a normal person who can handle her life smoothly on a daily basis, and I do have certain skills, but when I start to think more about job and internship, like really seriously thinking about that matter, I'm fully convinced that I am not good enough for any position I have seen online. She said that I was psyching myself out. I don't know.
    You need to adjust your attitude and start seeing your own worth. If you don't see it, no one else will, either... period.


    Quote Originally Posted by uncertain View Post
    First of all, how do you read the qualification/ requirement on the internship position information and properly evaluate yourself? For example, "excellent photoshop skill," "Excellent oral and written communications skills; able to provide outstanding customer service to exhibitors, vendors, sponsors, etc" "strong organizational skills are a must." (These are random items.) How to you evaluate those bold words? What do they even mean? What is the standard for "excellent, strong, and outstanding?" How do you know how well you meet those criteria?
    This kind of stuff is in every job application... it's just fluff. No job posting is ever going to say they are looking for someone who is "pretty good" or "kinda average" or "doesn't suck." All companies are looking to get the most value in their hires, and in that sense, they shoot for the moon.

    One thing you have to keep in mind is that job postings are typically written by some lackey in an HR department, not someone with any kind of real authority or even someone who knows what they are talking about. For instance, I once helped a friend of mine (a software developer) apply for a job where the ad said "5+ years experience in [whatever software] is a must." Well, at the time, that particular software had only been in existence for 3 years, so no one on God's great green earth would have 5+ years experience in it. I've seen this sort of thing a dozen times... what happens is that the department looking to hire someone gives their HR department the skillset of their desired candidate, and the HR drones take what they're given and bump things up, even if it is objectively impossible, because they don't know any better, they're just looking to get the best candidate for the money.

    Quote Originally Posted by uncertain View Post
    Sure I can communicate through writing, as what I'm doing now and hopefully you guys understand what I'm trying to say, but I don't think it's excellent, just average things everyone can do, and I always make grammar mistakes. (My oral is really awful but the weak points here don't matter because I already know that I don't qualified for it) The problem is that I don't know if I am assessing myself accurately and that if my ability match the criteria, which I don't know either.
    You might be surprised, but what you consider "average" communication skills are actually in very short supply. There are many people out there who are absolutely terrible at writing, so, by comparison, yours would be "excellent" even if you only consider them average. They're not looking for the next James Joyce. They want someone who can communicate clearly and effectively without making stupid mistakes like using "your" instead of "you're." The bar for "excellence" these days has been set very low, so don't psych yourself out.

    Quote Originally Posted by uncertain View Post
    Second, let's say there are ten items on the list of qualifications, and I meet 8 or 9 of them but is really weak at the remaining one or two, should I still apply for the position?
    Yes, absolutely. The worst that can happen if you apply is that you don't get the position. But if you don't apply, the only thing that can happen is that you don't get the position.

    Quote Originally Posted by uncertain View Post
    Third, how do those of you who have done both summer and fall/ spring internships feel? Are the fall/ spring semester internship generally more stressful because of schoolwork than summer internship, at a time when you are free of study?
    Now I think I'm not prepared for internship in summer, and thinking about the alternative of fall internship, and learn as much as I can during the summer.
    It really depends on what your major is, how heavy your course-load is, and in what field you're trying to get an internship. I didn't have a single internship in undergrad, but I've had several in law school. My opinion is that summer internships are best because they let you focus on one thing. I had a Fall internship during my second year of law school that was really laid-back and it didn't really stress me out to have that in addition to a full course-load, but then I had another one the following Spring in probate court and it was extremely stressful to have to work for a judge and manage all my school work. But, again, it all depends on what your semesters are like.

    Quote Originally Posted by uncertain View Post
    Last question, is it reaaaally bad for me not to do any internship during the upcoming summer, which is before my SENIOR year? Will it be too late if I put it off to the fall? I feel really bad because I have friends who have already been doing that since last semester (her first semester of junior year).
    Again, it depends on what your area of study is and in what industry you'd like to work. I didn't have a single internship as an undergrad, and I've done pretty well for myself. Having an internship can only help you, as far as getting experience, but not having one won't necessarily hurt you except in the sense that you're missing out on an opportunity to enhance your resume and thus improve your prospects for post-graduation employment.
    uncertain, AriesLilith and assembly thanked this post.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PersonalityCafe.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4

    Quote Originally Posted by uncertain View Post
    I'm a undergrad college junior right now but I've never got an internship because during my sophomore year I thought I was not qualified for any out there. Up until this point I still don't think I can do much.

    I happened to talk to a staff of the career development in my school a few days ago. I started being very timid and confused, saying, "I don't think I'm qualified for any internship.... it's like I don't have all the required skills and I'm just average at what I'm doing..." Then she abruptly interrupted me and said, "It is an internship."

    I understand her point. But shouldn't you just not waste anyone's time if you are not helpful to anyone? I guess I can do certain thing because at least I'm a normal person who can handle her life smoothly on a daily basis, and I do have certain skills, but when I start to think more about job and internship, like really seriously thinking about that matter, I'm fully convinced that I am not good enough for any position I have seen online. She said that I was psyching myself out. I don't know.
    To me, it sounds like your 5 enneagram is clouding your self-esteem. Perhaps you're subconsciously trying to avoid applying because you fear having your energy drained by working with people. I know this is true for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by uncertain View Post
    First of all, how do you read the qualification/ requirement on the internship position information and properly evaluate yourself? For example, "excellent photoshop skill," "Excellent oral and written communications skills; able to provide outstanding customer service to exhibitors, vendors, sponsors, etc" "strong organizational skills are a must." (These are random items.) How to you evaluate those bold words? What do they even mean? What is the standard for "excellent, strong, and outstanding?" How do you know how well you meet those criteria?
    This is just part of US business culture. You're supposed to lie about these things, then meet try to meet the challenge if it does turn out that you need to organize something, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by uncertain View Post
    Second, let's say there are ten items on the list of qualifications, and I meet 8 or 9 of them but is really weak at the remaining one or two, should I still apply for the position?
    Yes, if it sounds like an okay internship I would. But, I'd probably still keep a look out for internships that I thought were more appealing.
    uncertain thanked this post.

  6. #5

    @anarchitektur

    Thanks! It's really helpful to hear a little bit about how things work in general. I'm surprised by the 5+year experience in the software example. And the writing skill part. It's hard to imagine that any college student or anyone would make that "your" mistake.
    anarchitektur thanked this post.

  7. #6

    Quote Originally Posted by surgery View Post
    To me, it sounds like your 5 enneagram is clouding your self-esteem. Perhaps you're subconsciously trying to avoid applying because you fear having your energy drained by working with people. I know this is true for me.
    Haha, probably. It's kind of true, actually. But then I think if I can be more skilled and competitive I can at least wipe out some obstacles and make things easier.

    This is just part of US business culture. You're supposed to lie about these things, then meet try to meet the challenge if it does turn out that you need to organize something, etc.
    (Sigh) SAD. It's one of those things that kill humanities but so common that you are not even aware of.

    Yes, if it sounds like an okay internship I would. But, I'd probably still keep a look out for internships that I thought were more appealing.
    I would like to have something on my resume, so.

  8. #7

    My first "internship" was with the Youth Apprenticeship program at my high school. I was 16 years old and that kid who knew a little more than the average person about computers. I just dove in head first and accepted the challenge. Now I am currently touching up my resume and it's amazing how far I've come in almost 8 years (I'll be 24 this month). Just find something that interests you, dive in head first, and take every opportunity to learn and excel.

  9. #8

    Quote Originally Posted by PowerShell View Post
    My first "internship" was with the Youth Apprenticeship program at my high school. I was 16 years old and that kid who knew a little more than the average person about computers. I just dove in head first and accepted the challenge. Now I am currently touching up my resume and it's amazing how far I've come in almost 8 years (I'll be 24 this month). Just find something that interests you, dive in head first, and take every opportunity to learn and excel.
    Hmm.. yeah maybe I should just do.
    A lot of you guys are suggesting a reversed logic to me, which is quite surprising.
    My friend got on internship since last summer when she was a sophomore. I don't know how she did that.
    But I thought I was just pretty bad because of that.

  10. #9

    Getting a job is less about skills, and more about how you'll fit in as a team member. A good internship is one where the company is taking a serious look at your ability to perform tasks, deal with people, make judgements, etc.. The rest of the stuff they can train. Who you are is more of a difficult thing to get from an interview.

    As to when and how. You can never have enough internship experience if you're goal is career oriented (as opposed to academic). Depending on how bad your GPA is, I'd be less worried about that if I could show job experience.

  11. #10

    Quote Originally Posted by bellisaurius View Post
    Getting a job is less about skills, and more about how you'll fit in as a team member. A good internship is one where the company is taking a serious look at your ability to perform tasks, deal with people, make judgements, etc.. The rest of the stuff they can train. Who you are is more of a difficult thing to get from an interview.
    I'm looking at it from a the view of an IT person and while teamwork is definitely important, you need to have a base level of skills you have and a willingness to learn more. Basically you need to be informed about what you are doing. That doesn't mean know everything but just be able to demonstrate some competencies that you will ultimately build on as you gain more experience.
    bellisaurius thanked this post.


     
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [ENFP] My bad internship experiences in Los Angeles
    By frenchie in forum ENFP Forum - The Inspirers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-30-2012, 02:07 PM
  2. Statement of Interest (internship)
    By giraffe11 in forum Education & Career Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-24-2010, 04:11 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:28 AM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
© 2014 PersonalityCafe
 

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0