Ebay business makes my CV look terrible - Page 2

Ebay business makes my CV look terrible

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 18 of 18
Thank Tree23Thanks

This is a discussion on Ebay business makes my CV look terrible within the Education & Career Talk forums, part of the Topics of Interest category; Have you elaborated on your eBay experience on your CV? I would try to point out the positives. Something like ...

  1. #11

    Have you elaborated on your eBay experience on your CV? I would try to point out the positives.

    Something like
    May 2011-Current
    Owned and operated a successful online marketing and distribution business, shipping more than $ of product
    - Negotiated with vendors to ensure a high margin on product
    - Coordinated packing and shipping efforts
    - Handled all marketing and advertising
    - Managed accounts receivable and payable
    - Managed customer relations
    - Maintained a 99% customer satisfaction rating

    Be prepared to back this up with documentation such as printouts of summary pages in eBay.

    I'd also apply everywhere you can, it's common to have to apply in a lot of spots before finding a position, especially without any experience that they can get a reference on.
    StElmosDream, dragthewaters and napkineater thanked this post.

  2. #12

    Did you make your eBay experience look like a legitimate business? Make up some name for your eBay business and then put your experience under that to make it look like you were working from some organized business instead of just doing this yourself.

  3. #13

    Quote Originally Posted by bluekitdon View Post
    Have you elaborated on your eBay experience on your CV? I would try to point out the positives.

    Something like
    May 2011-Current
    Owned and operated a successful online marketing and distribution business, shipping more than $ of product
    - Negotiated with vendors to ensure a high margin on product
    - Coordinated packing and shipping efforts
    - Handled all marketing and advertising
    - Managed accounts receivable and payable
    - Managed customer relations
    - Maintained a 99% customer satisfaction rating

    Be prepared to back this up with documentation such as printouts of summary pages in eBay.

    I'd also apply everywhere you can, it's common to have to apply in a lot of spots before finding a position, especially without any experience that they can get a reference on.
    Put this in my CV.

    Have an interview tomorrow. YOU DA BEST.
    bluekitdon, dragthewaters and 0+n*1 thanked this post.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PersonalityCafe.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14

    Bluekitdon's advice was spot-on. Good luck at your interview!

    It is a hard economy. It's more likely you'll get turned down than not based on sheer volume of people applying. Something important I've learned from my current job is that employers filling low-level positions are sometimes careful not to hire people who look like they will leave because they have too much in terms of credentials. So you want to be a little careful and omit things they don't necessarily need to know. I went into great depth with my work and volunteer experience on my last application, for example, because it's for a more hands-on therapy job, but I left off much of my academic work. Whereas when I applied for a job at a university, I omitted my retail work experience and blew the page up with my academic accomplishments.

    I would not say lie on your applications - that can bite you very painfully in the ass - but always tailor your experience to what you are applying for. If you were, for example, applying to a customer service job, you could stress the customer service aspects of what you did on eBay.

    Also - unless it's a regional thing (I'm in the US, not sure if this differs in other countries) or the employer is specifically asking for it, I would probably go with calling it your "resume" instead of your "CV". CV is typically for more academically-oriented positions, for people with extensive academic presentations, publications, research, and so on. You may want to create both, especially if you continue to develop a film portfolio, but for summer jobs I think resume is more likely to be appropriate. :)
    napkineater thanked this post.

  6. #15

    Quote Originally Posted by angelfish View Post
    Something important I've learned from my current job is that employers filling low-level positions are sometimes careful not to hire people who look like they will leave because they have too much in terms of credentials.
    It's kind of funny with those low level sort of jobs because even if someone of quality did leave after a while, they'd probably do a better job than half the jokers they seem to hire. I have some friends who do low level sort of jobs and basically people's work ethic is horrible. They'd be better off hiring someone, having them do a good job for a while, then when they move on, find someone else as opposed to hiring some idiot who doesn't do a good job and then they're back to square one when they have to fire that person.
    napkineater thanked this post.

  7. #16

    Quote Originally Posted by napkineater View Post
    Okay, so, I've been working selling various products on Ebay since 2011. I'm a 21 y/o girl. I'm genuinely very ambitious, hard-working, and pragmatic.... But I've never had a proper job.

    But the ebay business has taught me so much! I'm a top seller with a 99% rating. I even learned to drive and got my license so I could transport the stock to ship from my house. Basically, I started off with one contact selling Ugg boots, he got them for cheap from China. I (or my parents) paid for the postage and packaging (which was set a certain price since we were only selling to the UK) which was a lot. I also set up the account, did the advertisements, paid the fees, dealt with the customers, organised the stock etc. etc. We failed a lot. Our Uggs were too expensive since we had to be able to split the profits in the end, even though they were so much cheaper than retail value. People were also convinced our Uggs were fake and kept returning them. It was a flop.

    So, I said I'd pay for the stock from now on if he'd hook me up with one of his contacts. I started buying whatever I could with what I made from the Uggs, mostly tidbits of clothing I knew would sell and then I moved onto laptops and phones and now camera equipment. I make a bloody fortune when I made my own calls. I was doing all the work for the guy anyway, but now I'm taking all the profits for myself. But I can't do this forever. I want to be a filmmaker. But, nobody seems to give me credit where credit's due. Nobody respects my job. Even McDonald's rejected me when I went looking for a "proper" job! I've been putting my CV out everywhere, I've been rejected by apprenticeships and internships to work on film sets and I figure it's because my work experience isn't being taken seriously!

    WTF am I supposed to do?

    It may not be so much that they don't take it seriously, and more like they think you may be good at it, but it is unrelated to what you're applying for. I know plenty of very successful people who have started out on eBay and had it in their CV's/Resumes... If you are going to have eBay on your CV, try going for more "respectable" jobs in sales and/or advertisement. It's a small leap from where you are, but it could prove very useful later on once you go for the film industry.
    napkineater thanked this post.

  8. #17

    Quote Originally Posted by Diligent Procrastinator View Post
    It may not be so much that they don't take it seriously, and more like they think you may be good at it, but it is unrelated to what you're applying for. I know plenty of very successful people who have started out on eBay and had it in their CV's/Resumes... If you are going to have eBay on your CV, try going for more "respectable" jobs in sales and/or advertisement. It's a small leap from where you are, but it could prove very useful later on once you go for the film industry.
    I don't understand the stigma here, what's wrong with being an Ebay seller in the first place? I made way more than I'll ever make at my age in any job I take on.

    Also, I don't have relevant work experience in retail/cashier/deli jobs, does that really make it unachievable to me? It's only minimum wage we're talking about. I feel like if I can't get that sort of job, I shouldn't be applying for sales/advertising jobs, you know?

    Quote Originally Posted by angelfish View Post
    Bluekitdon's advice was spot-on. Good luck at your interview!

    It is a hard economy. It's more likely you'll get turned down than not based on sheer volume of people applying. Something important I've learned from my current job is that employers filling low-level positions are sometimes careful not to hire people who look like they will leave because they have too much in terms of credentials. So you want to be a little careful and omit things they don't necessarily need to know. I went into great depth with my work and volunteer experience on my last application, for example, because it's for a more hands-on therapy job, but I left off much of my academic work. Whereas when I applied for a job at a university, I omitted my retail work experience and blew the page up with my academic accomplishments.

    I would not say lie on your applications - that can bite you very painfully in the ass - but always tailor your experience to what you are applying for. If you were, for example, applying to a customer service job, you could stress the customer service aspects of what you did on eBay.

    Also - unless it's a regional thing (I'm in the US, not sure if this differs in other countries) or the employer is specifically asking for it, I would probably go with calling it your "resume" instead of your "CV". CV is typically for more academically-oriented positions, for people with extensive academic presentations, publications, research, and so on. You may want to create both, especially if you continue to develop a film portfolio, but for summer jobs I think resume is more likely to be appropriate. :)
    I always tailor my CV and cover letters, my God it's tiring work. I begin to forget a little who I am and usually end up with an identity crisis on my hands....like when they ask "tell me a little about yourself"....which they always do!

    I lie a little on my CV, but to make me look like I have less experience though. Last interview I went to the guy was like "you've done a lot...there's a lot here" like he was disapproving.

    And CV is definitely what we call it here. Resume is never used and considered American.

    Quote Originally Posted by PowerShell View Post
    It's kind of funny with those low level sort of jobs because even if someone of quality did leave after a while, they'd probably do a better job than half the jokers they seem to hire. I have some friends who do low level sort of jobs and basically people's work ethic is horrible. They'd be better off hiring someone, having them do a good job for a while, then when they move on, find someone else as opposed to hiring some idiot who doesn't do a good job and then they're back to square one when they have to fire that person.
    Tell me about it! On a light-hearted note, I put so much emphasis on the fact that I'll provide the best customer service ever in my latest interview, telling the interviewer about my experience with it and giving her examples. Then the interviewer looked offended and asked me if the customer service wasn't good enough already in the job I was applying for hahahah. Oh man.
    PowerShell thanked this post.

  9. #18

    Quote Originally Posted by Diligent Procrastinator View Post
    It may not be so much that they don't take it seriously, and more like they think you may be good at it, but it is unrelated to what you're applying for. I know plenty of very successful people who have started out on eBay and had it in their CV's/Resumes... If you are going to have eBay on your CV, try going for more "respectable" jobs in sales and/or advertisement. It's a small leap from where you are, but it could prove very useful later on once you go for the film industry.
    I applied to an advertising job. Got an interview for advertising sales rep.

    YOU FUCKING PEOPLE. I am forever grateful for all your advice, I will post here whether I get the job or not!
    Death Persuades thanked this post.


     
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Ebay woes...
    By Falling Leaves in forum General Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-27-2014, 11:34 AM
  2. [ISTP] Messages from people on eBay.
    By wellfxd in forum ISTP Forum - The Mechanics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-31-2013, 08:30 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:15 PM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
© 2014 PersonalityCafe
 

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0