[ENFP] ENFP and Self-Preservation Instinct

ENFP and Self-Preservation Instinct

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
Thank Tree14Thanks

This is a discussion on ENFP and Self-Preservation Instinct within the ENFP Forum - The Inspirers forums, part of the NF's Temperament Forum- The Dreamers category; Is it uncommon for ENFP to be Self-Preservation dominant? Is this still true if the Sp-dominant ENFP is a 6w7 ...

  1. #1
    ENFP - The Inspirers

    ENFP and Self-Preservation Instinct

    Is it uncommon for ENFP to be Self-Preservation dominant?

    Is this still true if the Sp-dominant ENFP is a 6w7 or 7w6?

    Is there really a difference between Sp-dom 6w7 and Sp-dom 7w6?



  2. #2

    I havent understood how that instict works well.
    To simplify them.
    Someone who leads a life going after deep relationships and a lot of 1 v 1 approaches is a sx.
    Someone who prefers group talking and many people around him is a so.
    Then someone who prefers sp cares about his self the most? But i see many of the others having a huge ego and they are typed as sx/so. Or is it about being careful and staying safe and healthy?

    Is this typing system supposed to be accurate? Seems to have too many flaws.

  3. #3
    ENFP - The Inspirers

    Quote Originally Posted by SirCanSir View Post
    I havent understood how that instict works well.
    To simplify them.
    Someone who leads a life going after deep relationships and a lot of 1 v 1 approaches is a sx.
    Someone who prefers group talking and many people around him is a so.
    Then someone who prefers sp cares about his self the most? But i see many of the others having a huge ego and they are typed as sx/so. Or is it about being careful and staying safe and healthy?

    Is this typing system supposed to be accurate? Seems to have too many flaws.
    The way I see it, I just want to explore the world, eat good food, and enjoy good drinks. Self-Preservation 7w6 and 6w7 are both supposed to be nymphomaniacs. I’m demisexual, so I really don’t relate to that part, but I otherwise am a flaming hedonist in every other way.

    The flip side to this you’ll like is I don’t think I’m special enough to boss other people around or demand things from them, so I support the freedom of others to live as they please, and don’t get all moralistic about doing “what’s good for them”.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PersonalityCafe.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    The way I see it, I just want to explore the world, eat good food, and enjoy good drinks. Self-Preservation 7w6 and 6w7 are both supposed to be nymphomaniacs. I’m demisexual, so I really don’t relate to that part, but I otherwise am a flaming hedonist in every other way.

    The flip side to this you’ll like is I don’t think I’m special enough to boss other people around or demand things from them, so I support the freedom of others to live as they please, and don’t get all moralistic about doing “what’s good for them”.
    But according to that typing arent you supposed to be a so?

  6. #5
    ENFP - The Inspirers

    Quote Originally Posted by SirCanSir View Post
    But according to that typing arent you supposed to be a so?
    Enneagram Central - Subtype Seven Self Preservation


    Enneagram Central - Self Preservation Six

  7. #6

    The issue that I have with instincts is that you cannot type them without the enneagram in mind. Looking at SP in isolation sounds far too safe, boring and responsible for me but when combined with 7w6 I see it as a conflict between the indulgent impulsive side and the anxious safe side. It's like a puppy on a leash. 7 is the puppy, 6 is the leash and sp is the owner deciding when to take off the leash, waiting for the appropriate time and environment to do so.

    I can't say I know much about 6w7, I would say that you would have to imagine 6 as the drive and 7 as the after thought or counterpoint.

    I don't think it's uncommon. To find ENFP sp, I just think that they are difficult to type, because as I said, sp on the surface doesn't sound like an ENFP. But then ENFPs generally aren't as impulsive as sx is on the surface either. Problem is I relate to all of the instincts... I think I'm sp/sx though.

    For me, 7 is my drive, it's my inspiration, my goal. 6 puts me in the more beta personality side of 7, it's hesitant. Sp is the constant consideration of saving money for the adventures and even then being too shy to spend it when the opportunity arises. It's the premature guilt from being too reckless and overindulgent and the constant worry that you need to have a fall back. In a way it can get in the way of the enjoyment if that feeling of safety isn't there. 7w8 sx is the one jumping off the cliff without a second consideration. 7w6 sp is the one standing at the edge, looking over all the potential issues that might arise and spending several minutes up there too scared to jump but too intrigued to just walk away.
    Magic Qwan, spicycucumber, Llyralen and 4 others thanked this post.

  8. #7

    I am an ENFp, IEE-Ne (Socionics) who is sx first. I love really hard and am constantly seeking merging/intensity/connection. I wear my heart on my sleeve, am hyper sensitive to criticism and rejection, and wound easily. I also have very strong reactions to people (if not right away, in time the more I know someone).

    I've met SO MANY other ENFps and IEEs who aren't sx first and they're just..different. It's like we click in how we process info, but our priorities and the way we engage with others is off.

    Sp ENFps who are 7's are very self-centered to me and don't really consider how their actions, tone, mannerisms affect others. They are selfish and unashamed about it. They also come across as more grounded and "sensing" and "logical" almost

    So ENFps who are 7's (So/Sx to be exact) are much softer/yielding/"feminine" than I am and are really good at working the crowd. They are also more popular than me...always having group activities to go to, but it a way I wouldn't want to be. I am intense. You either like me or you don't, and even though I hate rejection being surface and soft is repulsive to me.

  9. #8
    ENFP

    Quote Originally Posted by spicycucumber View Post
    I am an ENFp, IEE-Ne (Socionics) who is sx first. I love really hard and am constantly seeking merging/intensity/connection. I wear my heart on my sleeve, am hyper sensitive to criticism and rejection, and wound easily. I also have very strong reactions to people (if not right away, in time the more I know someone).

    I've met SO MANY other ENFps and IEEs who aren't sx first and they're just..different. It's like we click in how we process info, but our priorities and the way we engage with others is off.

    Sp ENFps who are 7's are very self-centered to me and don't really consider how their actions, tone, mannerisms affect others. They are selfish and unashamed about it. They also come across as more grounded and "sensing" and "logical" almost

    So ENFps who are 7's (So/Sx to be exact) are much softer/yielding/"feminine" than I am and are really good at working the crowd. They are also more popular than me...always having group activities to go to, but it a way I wouldn't want to be. I am intense. You either like me or you don't, and even though I hate rejection being surface and soft is repulsive to me.
    Well if you think that all 7 SP are self-centered I can come to bat to say Falling Foxes is an extremely caring individual. He's never come off as selfish to me. If anything I think he considers too much his actions and tone on how he affects others. Though I do know him only online and I know that online can show some differences in some. Though what people get with me here is how I react to things in reality.

    I'm a 2w3 with a 2 7 9 triad. I can sometimes be intense too and have to watch dominating a conversation when I'm excited about the subject. People also either like me or they don't. There is no in-between. Though my verbiage might be more light-hearted and soft.

    As to the OP, I don't think I've met a type 6 ENFP?

    7w6 yes but I can't think of one 6w7?
    Falling Foxes and iblameyou thanked this post.

  10. #9

    https://www.personalitycafe.com/type...-chestnut.html

    I'm a Sx/Sp, but I liked this description a lot. I feel my Sp comes out in the pride I take in collecting things in my home...everything has a story. If I host a party and someone were to compliment something I own I proceed by telling them about the experience of acquiring said item, usually at a discount. It's like a collection of experiences.

  11. #10

    Quote Originally Posted by Falling Foxes View Post
    The issue that I have with instincts is that you cannot type them without the enneagram in mind. Looking at SP in isolation sounds far too safe, boring and responsible for me but when combined with 7w6 I see it as a conflict between the indulgent impulsive side and the anxious safe side. It's like a puppy on a leash. 7 is the puppy, 6 is the leash and sp is the owner deciding when to take off the leash, waiting for the appropriate time and environment to do so.

    I can't say I know much about 6w7, I would say that you would have to imagine 6 as the drive and 7 as the after thought or counterpoint.

    I don't think it's uncommon. To find ENFP sp, I just think that they are difficult to type, because as I said, sp on the surface doesn't sound like an ENFP. But then ENFPs generally aren't as impulsive as sx is on the surface either. Problem is I relate to all of the instincts... I think I'm sp/sx though.

    For me, 7 is my drive, it's my inspiration, my goal. 6 puts me in the more beta personality side of 7, it's hesitant. Sp is the constant consideration of saving money for the adventures and even then being too shy to spend it when the opportunity arises. It's the premature guilt from being too reckless and overindulgent and the constant worry that you need to have a fall back. In a way it can get in the way of the enjoyment if that feeling of safety isn't there. 7w8 sx is the one jumping off the cliff without a second consideration. 7w6 sp is the one standing at the edge, looking over all the potential issues that might arise and spending several minutes up there too scared to jump but too intrigued to just walk away.
    I am not an expert in enneagram like y'all so I might be way off here,

    but I always thought the tendency toward escapism in 7s was a mechanism self-preservation, even an escape from boredom is a place of suffering we are trying to preserve ourselves from.

    Certain areas of uncertainty cause me to err on the side of caution, because I know the repercussions of making wrong decisions.

    Once again I am not sure my comments are relevant to this discussion though because I don't understand enneagram very well aside from studying a few types


     
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Enneagram Type 5] Question for Social and Self-Preservation Fives
    By ShadowPrince in forum Type 5 Forum - The Investigator
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-14-2015, 03:40 AM
  2. Anyone developing their Self-preservation Instinct?
    By Xyra in forum Enneagram Personality Theory Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-23-2014, 02:31 PM
  3. [ENFP] ENFP and self identity
    By smartgal16 in forum ENFP Forum - The Inspirers
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-02-2014, 06:20 PM
  4. So/Sx and Sx/So, how do you experience the Self Preservation Instinct?
    By Swordsman of Mana in forum Enneagram Personality Theory Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-15-2014, 04:31 PM
  5. [ENFP] ENFP and self-esteem
    By Azullade in forum ENFP Forum - The Inspirers
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-02-2013, 02:52 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:59 AM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
© 2014 PersonalityCafe
 

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0