• Self-Preservation Fours are often risk takers I'm willing to take risks that serve a bigger purpose, not just for the thrill and fun of it.
• They take chances to stir up emotional intensity, collect new experiences, play out inner dramas or learn about themselves Oh god, I definitely play out inner dramas to learn more about myself. It's introspection with a twist after all. And I do take opportunities to stir up emotional intensity as well. But on one condition. I usually do this privately so as not to hurt others. And to not be seen as some kind of overactive drama queen. Best to do it with subtlety.
• Open advocates of the passionate life
• Social and artistic courage; the high side of this subtype brings daring• Healthy Fours with this subtype often feel driven to express an inner vision and find the courage and skill to bring it into the world• Often exceedingly practical in ways that support their creative enterprises
• For some their home is an aesthetically soothing refuge, for others home is dank and depressing, if someone said my room was dank, I'd take that as a compliment xD
prompting fantasies of beautiful places, a stimulant to envy
• May have possessions they keep for a long time that are charged with symbolism and meaning
• Environmentally sensitive react strongly to their surroundings;
fussy and hard to please about new purchases
• When less healthy, they take self-destructive risks or punish other by hurting themselves NO.
• Some can be reckless and openly court disaster while others merely flirt with loss
• Sometimes the connection to One is extra strong. Fours with this subtype can harangue themselves in a Oneish way and then rebel with reckless behavior Had fantasies about it, never actually rebelled against others. At least, not in the obvious ways.
• Some resist the need to make a living; may hobble themselves with mystery ailments that prevent them from having a “straight job” It's not exactly a mystery ailment, but my condition does make it more difficult to handle physically strenuous jobs. Probably why I haven't been motivated to find a part-time job lately.
• Self-Preservation Fours can be mistaken for counterphobic Sixes
• Some Fours with this subtype struggle with their weight and body image as they relate to identity. Anorexia, overeating or obsessions about food are possible Sort of. I did the exact opposite of gluttony in which I restricted the amount of food I ate so as to test my need for sustenance. I used to feel above others for not needing as much food to satisfy myself. Also, I have a habit of barely eating in public, especially with large amounts of casual acquaintances, like classmates and distant family members. Something about the charged atmosphere ignites my self-consciousness. I don't feel comfortable with the notion that others are watching me eat. Then I pig out when I go to the safety of my own home. Guess I subconsciously think of eating as something pretty personal to me.
• Intimate Fours love others in a deep way, and possess a sensitive, complex, poetic intelligence about matters of the heart
• This is a highly romantic subtype, visible in the realms of romantic poetry,
the troubadour tradition and popular music about love, especially in the lyrics of confessional singers
• Often stay friends with ex-lovers Scratch that with people who used to crush on me. After I withdraw from them for some time, I make the effort to reconnect bit by bit. Same as with my crushes. Then again, I never actually tell them my true feelings.
• A focus on aesthetics;
some Intimate Fours are tasteful, flashy dressers • Can harbor a fantasy of perfect union, a redemptive love that will heal the wound of being an unwanted outsider
• Prone to jealousy and may be competitive in close relationships as well as generally; can feel like there is only so much love to go around
• Want to be Number One in their beloved’s heart or the only person their partner has ever loved; could be jealous of their partner’s past relationships Guilty as charged. I know that it makes no sense to feel that desire, but I just can't help it.
• A stronger connection to Two Frankly, I need to strengthen my line to Two.
• May be surprised to discover that their beloved has different needs; they assume mutuality of purpose and are unprepared to negotiate
• Also prone to professional envy and try to best others at work I want to highlight this a million times.
• May be unable to enjoy their successes without demeaning the achievements of others Ditto as well.
• Intimate Fours can resemble Eights just as romantic Intimate Eights can resemble Fours• Can believe that without someone to love they are nothing
and life is not worth living
• When in love, images of their partner fill the Four’s awareness and attention. The beloved is a muse, necessary to connect Fours to their own life force
Need to bold this a million times also. That may be why my motto is, "Life's only interesting when you have something to obsess about."
• May take no responsibility for their life until Mr. or Ms. Right comes along
• There can be a willful immaturity to this stance, a stubborn refusal to face facts no matter what the practical costs• Can be love addicts who lack the memory of being loved and believe they are condemned to search the world for something or someone to fill them up It's almost like these points are reading my mind.
• Some Intimate Fours act markedly seductive to stave off being rejected • May engineer rejection by picking unavailable or inappropriate people to become infatuated with
• A few have ambiguous, confused or exaggerated sexual identities
or a chronic identity crisis around their sexualitySocial Fours
• Healthy Social Fours are unusually independent, self-affirming
and socially courageous
• Willing to take unpopular stands, initiate innovative projects or create institutions that have humanistic or artistic purposes
• They make good teachers especially of art, poetry, spirituality, realms of the heart and the inner life The one career I'll never take up. xD• Can be idealistic, drawn to social causes, with a keen sense of justice. The connection to One is especially strong with this subtype• May play the role of the critical outsider, dissatisfied with the norm
• Prone to shame because they compare themselves with the “normal” world around them, for deviating from imagined group norms
• Highly self-critical although their critical voice often belongs to someone else
• To refute the voice’s criticisms, a Social Four may romanticize her defects or snobbishly counter-criticize the group
• May seek status or feel driven to achieve to get revenge against those who once laughed at them Hmm, I had fantasies about this when I cared about others' opinions. Thought this was a 3 trait itself.
• Cover their shame with charm
• Social Fours with a Five wing can grow antisocial and depressed, bearing their shame in solitude, in tension to a group that they keep at a distance Definitely not one of my best moments. Especially if it was a group I actually enjoyed being in.Four with a Three Wing
• Fours with a Three wing can seem like Sevens. Can be cheerful, outgoing, with a sense of humor and style
@nburns, Maybe that's why you saw me as a Seven?
• May be “counter depressive,” in that they stay busy and on-task to avoid getting bogged down in melancholy I'm also guilty of committing vice versa. Such as feeling too overwhelmed by my own melancholy to actually do something productive.
• Healthy Fours with this wing marry art and commerce; they are both creative and effective, intuitive and ambitious
• Generally more visual and kinesthetic
and have a faster tempo of thought, speech and reaction
• Often materialistic, can have elegant or expensive taste; could prize the rare
• Might dress flashy – albeit in a color coordinated way – in contrast to Fours with a Five wing, who try to be socially invisible
• Can be conscious of wearing a mask to hide their “true” deformed identity This mostly happens in online settings. My best online personas conveyed more of my ideal self, which seemed to attract a lot of people. But at the same time, I felt that they were only intrigued by my image and not for who I am. I thought that if I did show them more of my actual self, they wouldn't see me as interesting as before.• Some are Three “wannabes”; they imitate Threes to pass in the “normal” world as high-functioning and well-adjusted citizens; underneath they feel like ETsAnd these are the times where I wonder if switching to 3w4 would make me more confident and outgoing.
• Can be exceptionally competitive,
sometimes more so than Threes
• Their pleasure in their own achievements may be tainted by jealousy or motivated by revenge Pretend this is bolded a million times.
• When recognized for what they accomplish, they may feel celebrated for the wrong reasons or dismiss the recognition as not enough
• Fours with this wing can tend towards melodrama and flamboyance
• Get lost in fraudulence, play the role of the artist or the authentic, unique one
• Generally more conventional and less original than Fours with a Five wing
• May have bad taste but not know it OK then. Four with a Five Wing• Fours with a Five wing are generally more introverted• When healthy they have a rich, complex creativity• Although somewhat intellectual, they have exceptional depth of feeling and insight• May be multi-talented in ways that they take for granted
• Fours with this wing are often more original and idiosyncratic, unique to the point of eccentric• Use thinking to suppress or dissociate from their feelings
• Often they are more auditory and kinesthetic and less consciously visual• They have a spiritual and aesthetic openness and may also have a marked need to pour themselves into creative or artistic pursuits• Try to use the strength of their minds to manage their emotional intensity Maybe that's why I typed as a 5w4.• Some are loners who can seem enigmatic or hard to read
• Externally reserved and internally resonant; when absorbed in a mood they can sit still and expressionless for long periods of time (hypnotic catalepsy) What the hell, this actually has a name. I did that three times today.
• An “open or closed” quality; after suddenly breaking hours of silence, the Four won’t stop talking
• Fours with this wing will sometimes polarize against their own Three wing, making Threeness a shadow that they indict in others• Could see the world as dominated by trashy, materialistic values and pointless hyperactivity – things the Four secretly envies Sometimes I wish to be above all that, but I can't help but envy materialism because it seems to make others happy. Yet, looks are deceiving.• Some are nondescript and try to be invisible. Consciously decide to venture into the world
• Some are sedentary and, if not overweight, have no muscle tone• Especially prone to feeling alienated and depressed; could isolate themselves• More likely to argue for their limitations or prove they can’t function in the normal world • Might ignore practical matters or unpleasant but necessary chores,
citing the strength of their feelings as an excuse• Can be whiny or have an air of sullen, withdrawn disappointment• Prone to sulking and stubborn, passive-aggressive sadness; unusually humorless• Can inhabit a private world of pain and loss or be morbidly in love with death• Might have a well-developed eye for the grotesque and the gothic I gravitate towards these, but I'm not a fan of calling them either grotesque or Gothic. I feel that it takes away the true effect and meaning if you give it a name.• Like Sixes they can fear taking action; some complain of having little energyFour’s Connection to One• A healthy connection to One helps Fours locate and connect to the objective, factual world, independent of their inner feelings
• Helps Fours balance the intensity of their feelings. They think more rationally and keep things in perspective
• The connection to One brings discipline and diminishes a Four’s self-indulgence• Brings problem-solving skills and an unexpected practical streak: Fours can be talented at managing money and handling realistic details
• Oneish Fours tend to be idealistic and work hard for what they believe in;
morally courageous expressions of principle
• Contributors rather than complainers, committed to living in and improving an imperfect world• When Fours are less healthy the connection to One devolves into being critical, fault finding and nit-picky• After the perfect union of falling in love the Four can turn critical and disapproving, focusing only on what is missing in his partner’s behavior Or what they have that I don't.
• May have idealized, romantic dreams for which there are no partners or expect so much of partners that they drive them away• Self-critical; may criticize themselves in a Oneish voice that speaks only of their Four’s flaws, reinforcing their sense of alienated difference
• Oneish Fours can block themselves creatively or set themselves up to fail because nothing they produce is up to their own impossibly high standards This is the main reason why I don't work at my creative pursuits more often.
• May criticize and tear down others, mainly out of jealousy• Sometimes latch onto a grandiose, obsessive Big Idea or believe they are attuned to Absolute Truth I thought this was Ni, but it still applies to me.
• Idealistic and artistic pretentiousness are possible; could feel they inhabit a lofty plane where their endeavors and aspirations can not be understood by mortals – The Great Artist Blues Wow, this really hits home. Especially if I show others my work and they give a half-hearted response to it. That usually brings me down.
• Black and white thinking with a moral cast
• Self-punitive and pleasure hating, fanaticism and religiosity are possible Once again: Guilty. As. Charged.Four’s Connection to Two
• Fours have a built-in connection to Two. When healthy it brings interpersonal skills and the ability to voluntarily empathize with others
• Like Twos, Fours can float over and switch places with others and intuitively sense how they feel. The Four will then filter and interpret other people’s feelings through the Four’s own subjectivity
• Twoish Fours can be supportive, generous “foul weather” friends who understand and accept the pain of others
• May volunteer their services to ease suffering
• Act upon ideals, want to make the world a better place
• The connection to Two brings the ability to teach or mentor, especially about subjective matters. Can accurately read the nonverbal behavior of others
• When this connection is less healthy, a Four may compulsively merge with others, especially their pain, as it unconsciously reminds the Four of their own Done this with both real people and characters.
• May flatter, charm and placate, hoping to mask their sense of defect
• Twoish Fours are prone to moody instability; by turns needy and then aggressive
• Can put great demands on their relationships and be easily disappointed • Twoish Fours may flee themselves through codependent service to others
• The Four sense of specialness is intensified by Twoish pride
• Loud arguments and histrionic dramas are possible
• Psychosomatic illness and age regression (becoming younger than your years) are stronger tendencies That's something I'm experiencing lately. Maybe I'm just a late-bloomer, but I'm having more urges to get out, be a bit more rebellious, or just throw away all the preconceptions people have of me.