[ENTP] Doubts about my type, emotional stuff

Doubts about my type, emotional stuff

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
Thank Tree8Thanks

This is a discussion on Doubts about my type, emotional stuff within the ENTP Forum- The Visionaries forums, part of the NT's Temperament Forum- The Intellects category; Hello my fellow MBTI euthasianists, so far I have been taking my itnerests in MBTI typology just for fun. Doesn ...

  1. #1
    ENTP

    Doubts about my type, emotional stuff

    Hello my fellow MBTI euthasianists, so far I have been taking my itnerests in MBTI typology just for fun. Doesn not matter now but I never have had doubts about my type until now. An idea that I could also be an ENFP came across my mind. Most of my teenage years and later I had not been an emotional person, I just did not care at all (boooo boring). But, I have spend last two learning more about myself, developing myself and studying various thing including human mind and I keep going. The more I put effort in those thing, the more emotional and open in emotional way I am. I even, which I am not , really not proud of, tend to cry when something significantly sad or happy occurs in a film I am watching - that did not use to be my division either. I also tend to sing and dance when listening to music hella alot. I mean, I have always been into music, mostly into hard rock, metal etc., never refused to listen to any song any genre I happened to like though, however, I have never expressed it any physical way. To sum up I'd just say that things that include feelings stopped staying inside my mind and my body - me - decided to express them. Any thoughts? Questions? Opinions? Strike!



  2. #2
    ENTP

    Quote Originally Posted by Mone View Post
    Hello my fellow MBTI euthasianists, so far I have been taking my itnerests in MBTI typology just for fun. Doesn not matter now but I never have had doubts about my type until now. An idea that I could also be an ENFP came across my mind. Most of my teenage years and later I had not been an emotional person, I just did not care at all (boooo boring). But, I have spend last two learning more about myself, developing myself and studying various thing including human mind and I keep going. The more I put effort in those thing, the more emotional and open in emotional way I am. I even, which I am not , really not proud of, tend to cry when something significantly sad or happy occurs in a film I am watching - that did not use to be my division either. I also tend to sing and dance when listening to music hella alot. I mean, I have always been into music, mostly into hard rock, metal etc., never refused to listen to any song any genre I happened to like though, however, I have never expressed it any physical way. To sum up I'd just say that things that include feelings stopped staying inside my mind and my body - me - decided to express them. Any thoughts? Questions? Opinions? Strike!
    You think Ti types have no emotions? I don't get the leap to "I accept I have emotions" to "I'm a completely different type".
    Just because I prefer objective truth doesn't mean I'm going full Thanos. It doesn't connect to me.
    We are looking for some clear classification of differentiation in types but the overlap is subtle and complex.
    Do you have any objective reasons to think you might be an ENFP? Otherwise, you might be one :P

  3. #3
    ENTP

    Quote Originally Posted by polluxs View Post
    You think Ti types have no emotions? I don't get the leap to "I accept I have emotions" to "I'm a completely different type".
    Just because I prefer objective truth doesn't mean I'm going full Thanos. It doesn't connect to me.
    We are looking for some clear classification of differentiation in types but the overlap is subtle and complex.
    Do you have any objective reasons to think you might be an ENFP? Otherwise, you might be one :P
    Nope, I don't think so but I think they don't tend to express them visibly.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PersonalityCafe.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    ENTP

    Quote Originally Posted by Mone View Post
    Nope, I don't think so but I think they don't tend to express them visibly.
    Yeah... tend right? Like those are your words right :P...

    Furthermore, I think that most ENTP's are quite open about their emotions when they have a place to put those.
    I mean, it's Fe for a reason. It might not be as intensive or run as deep because we prioritize other things above it like logic. That doesn't mean that you can't express it nor be capable of it.

    How would we pursue our endless Ne - Ti part if we would feel every interaction? We would never be able to stay objective.

    I think that "less visible" is just a perspective from society you are saying.
    Not a lot of people can read ENTP's for example. But if they can, they tend to know better / more accurate / more obvious what it is in comparison with other types. Although they have to see it. And most do not.

  6. #5
    ENTP - The Visionaries

    Quote Originally Posted by Mone View Post
    Hello my fellow MBTI euthasianists, so far I have been taking my itnerests in MBTI typology just for fun. Doesn not matter now but I never have had doubts about my type until now. An idea that I could also be an ENFP came across my mind. Most of my teenage years and later I had not been an emotional person, I just did not care at all (boooo boring). But, I have spend last two learning more about myself, developing myself and studying various thing including human mind and I keep going. The more I put effort in those thing, the more emotional and open in emotional way I am. I even, which I am not , really not proud of, tend to cry when something significantly sad or happy occurs in a film I am watching - that did not use to be my division either. I also tend to sing and dance when listening to music hella alot. I mean, I have always been into music, mostly into hard rock, metal etc., never refused to listen to any song any genre I happened to like though, however, I have never expressed it any physical way. To sum up I'd just say that things that include feelings stopped staying inside my mind and my body - me - decided to express them. Any thoughts? Questions? Opinions? Strike!
    Apparently you think ENTPs don't have emotion or enjoy things. Listening to music and reacting to music is pretty much an interest any type might have. My INTJ father loves jazz and gospel music and used to sing in his church choir (and in his car) and is always seeking the best "sound" from his speakers/headphones (to my mom's annoyance). My ISTJ husband is known to rock out and sing while driving in his car. My ISFJ best friend and my ESFJ mother in general could care less about music while my, most likely, ESFJ daughter is just like I was with music as a child.

    I LOVE music. I also have played guitar and sang in musicals and bands before. I got interested in it at a really young age, mainly because I had an older brother influencing me. I was buying albums/tapes with my money I saved up by the time I was 7 or 8. I often associate events in my life with songs. I would watch all the music award shows from start to finish. I was 10 when Live Aid happened (yes I am old) and my family and I happened to be in London. My brother and I refused to go out of hotel room that day and we sat and watched it on TV from start to finish (my mom and grandma went shopping and my INTJ dad gladly spend the day chilling and napping to watch us). We could see the fireworks at the end from our hotel. Bohemian Rhapsody very accurately showed Queen's set that day as I remembered it except the audience during the Radio Ga Ga hand claps. I remember clearly that because Wembley was so big, the sound was traveling at different speeds to the audience. The hand claps looked more like waves from front to back as the sound was hitting them. I used to go to tons of concerts and clubs to listen to music which I miss so much since I have had kids and it became very hard to do. I actually got a comment on my review at work once that I need to stop singing (which I didn't realize I was even doing).

    Although not common, I have seen my husband and my dad cry during movies and both are solidly Thinkers. Although, I am definitely not easily a crier (especially about personal stuff), there are plenty of times in movies or events that I get teary eyed. It tends to go along with the background music. The national anthem at a Chicago Blackhawk's game will get me almost every time unless consciously try to distract myself (google it if you are interested, the guy is a trained opera singer and they have military/veteran's with him during it).

    Truly though, I am very likely to react to music and be moved. How I process my life and specifically my personal life, though? I rarely react through my emotions but logically process them. Remember, Fe is our third function and we have sensing (Si) forth. As we age, we get way better at using those emotions, we are more likely to absorb the emotions around us and also be more aware of physical things, like music or movies.

  7. #6

    I don't think what you listed means you are an ENFP. It's not like your type makes you a sociopath :P
    Geonerd thanked this post.

  8. #7
    ENTP

    I think I might be misunderstood....or I have given a misinterpreted statement. I have noticed a significant change in my behaviour and I am trying to figure out what it means. Is it true myself? Why I started caring?
    I see ENFPs as very cheerful people, I don't think about typology as something complicated because well, it is never 100%. c:

  9. #8
    ENTP - The Visionaries

    Quote Originally Posted by Mone View Post
    I think I might be misunderstood....or I have given a misinterpreted statement. I have noticed a significant change in my behaviour and I am trying to figure out what it means. Is it true myself? Why I started caring?
    I see ENFPs as very cheerful people, I don't think about typology as something complicated because well, it is never 100%. c:
    The change in your behavior might be that you are moving away from operating mostly on Ne-Ti and starting to use the rest of your conscious functions properly. Fe-Si kicking in will make you better at taking in the physical world and processing the emotions going on around you. For most ENTPs, this starts kicking in their late 20s and gets easier and easier to use as you age. In general, most people get more balanced as they get older (hormone issues at certain ages aside).

    The difference between an ENFP and an ENTP is not being emotional but how you are processing information. ENFP's have Fi in second position. ENTPs have Fe in third position. Those two types of Feeling are actually pretty different. When tackling an issue, do you apply fact-based logic in a more calculated way or do you tend to go through your internal feelings. If arguing with someone, are you more upset when they dig at your side of the argument because you feel personally attacked or that they are not being logical or understanding the facts at the basis of your argument (but don't feel personally attacked but irritated)? That is much more how to distinguish those two types.

    If applying your "cry watching a film" theory to ENFP vs. ENTP, I ask why are you crying? Using Fi, often the case is that the person is applying how they would feel in that situation or is relating it to something that they might have dealt with before and that makes them cry. For someone using Fe, they are crying FOR that person or situation but not really applying it to their own experiences. They recognize it is sad or emotional and it affects them.

    Be aware, as you have mentioned that music makes you feel emotion, film makers know that affects people and tends to place the right music to evoke emotion. I can tell you three different incidents of movies that make me cry every time either for sadness or joy (sorry for any spoilers):

    -Juno. When she has the baby and gives it up for adoption, she is in the hospital being held by Bleeker while ukulele version of "Sea of Love" plays. I probably would not have cried at that scene if it was a discussion or silence.

    -Beaches. Good Lord, the last beach visit then into the funeral while "Wind Beneath Your Wings" plays is an ugly tears moment. I have made it through the movie and then when I try to talk, I burst into tears. Again, I have seen many a funeral scene in movies that had no overdubbed song where I did not cry but the music in that movie will get me every time.

    -It's a Wonderful Life-This movie depends on how I'm watching it. Every year the old theater in my town plays it for a charity event and I always teary-eyed at the end when the town is singing "Auld Lang Syne" and the bell rings when I see it in the theater. I don't cry if I am at home half watching it on TV in a well lit room.

    I cry at other things but one thing I know, my atmosphere makes a huge difference in why I cry or experience emotion which is exceptionally Fe. I saw Les Miserable (the play) with a couple people that had no interest in it but went because they had free tickets. It really did not affect me emotionally, mainly because I was picking up the emotions of the people around me. I saw it again sitting alone (my friend and I got day-of tickets and she sat on the other end of the row) and I was balling through most of the second act. I have a hard time listening to "Empty Chairs and Empty Tables" anytime now without feeling tears coming on.
    VoicesofWitch and polluxs thanked this post.

  10. #9
    ENTP

    Quote Originally Posted by Geonerd View Post
    The change in your behavior might be that you are moving away from operating mostly on Ne-Ti and starting to use the rest of your conscious functions properly. Fe-Si kicking in will make you better at taking in the physical world and processing the emotions going on around you. For most ENTPs, this starts kicking in their late 20s and gets easier and easier to use as you age. In general, most people get more balanced as they get older (hormone issues at certain ages aside).

    The difference between an ENFP and an ENTP is not being emotional but how you are processing information. ENFP's have Fi in second position. ENTPs have Fe in third position. Those two types of Feeling are actually pretty different. When tackling an issue, do you apply fact-based logic in a more calculated way or do you tend to go through your internal feelings. If arguing with someone, are you more upset when they dig at your side of the argument because you feel personally attacked or that they are not being logical or understanding the facts at the basis of your argument (but don't feel personally attacked but irritated)? That is much more how to distinguish those two types.

    If applying your "cry watching a film" theory to ENFP vs. ENTP, I ask why are you crying? Using Fi, often the case is that the person is applying how they would feel in that situation or is relating it to something that they might have dealt with before and that makes them cry. For someone using Fe, they are crying FOR that person or situation but not really applying it to their own experiences. They recognize it is sad or emotional and it affects them.

    Be aware, as you have mentioned that music makes you feel emotion, film makers know that affects people and tends to place the right music to evoke emotion. I can tell you three different incidents of movies that make me cry every time either for sadness or joy (sorry for any spoilers):

    -Juno. When she has the baby and gives it up for adoption, she is in the hospital being held by Bleeker while ukulele version of "Sea of Love" plays. I probably would not have cried at that scene if it was a discussion or silence.

    -Beaches. Good Lord, the last beach visit then into the funeral while "Wind Beneath Your Wings" plays is an ugly tears moment. I have made it through the movie and then when I try to talk, I burst into tears. Again, I have seen many a funeral scene in movies that had no overdubbed song where I did not cry but the music in that movie will get me every time.

    -It's a Wonderful Life-This movie depends on how I'm watching it. Every year the old theater in my town plays it for a charity event and I always teary-eyed at the end when the town is singing "Auld Lang Syne" and the bell rings when I see it in the theater. I don't cry if I am at home half watching it on TV in a well lit room.

    I cry at other things but one thing I know, my atmosphere makes a huge difference in why I cry or experience emotion which is exceptionally Fe. I saw Les Miserable (the play) with a couple people that had no interest in it but went because they had free tickets. It really did not affect me emotionally, mainly because I was picking up the emotions of the people around me. I saw it again sitting alone (my friend and I got day-of tickets and she sat on the other end of the row) and I was balling through most of the second act. I have a hard time listening to "Empty Chairs and Empty Tables" anytime now without feeling tears coming on.
    Thank you for your complex explanation.

    I am turning 24 in october - I am 23 years old. So it may be the hormones getting stable, too.

    As for the crying watching a film theory, my feelings process depends on how much I like the certain character experiencing some issues. I shall think more about this one.

    As for the music, I meant film soundtrack and music I listen to separately. I don't just listen to it, I live it. Despite of my interest in dark thing and black clothing, I focus on listening to happy music, so it is more moving, dancing than tears or thoughtful mood.

  11. #10

    Read the Fe description and see If you relate, NFPs relate to everything but Fe, which they tend to see as fake. The fact you haven’t made a single value statement means its unlikely your an ENFP.
    As for crying in movies, welcome to Tert Fe land!
    I particularly like the notebook if you want to maximise tissue consumption.
    Geonerd thanked this post.


     
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Doubts and doubts
    By Amy in forum Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-02-2015, 04:27 PM
  2. [INFJ] Let's Get Emotional! Emotional! I Wanna Get Emotional! Let Me Hear Your Fe Talk!
    By ae1905 in forum INFJ Forum - The Protectors
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-04-2014, 12:48 PM
  3. Doubts about my type lately. Please type me.
    By doudeman in forum What's my personality type?
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-10-2013, 02:54 PM
  4. [INTP] Doubts and stuff
    By irregularQuestioner in forum INTP Forum - The Thinkers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-07-2013, 02:28 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:42 AM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
© 2014 PersonalityCafe
 

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0