The Sorting Hat and its Real-Life Application in Education to Foster Human Potential

The Sorting Hat and its Real-Life Application in Education to Foster Human Potential

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
Thank Tree15Thanks

This is a discussion on The Sorting Hat and its Real-Life Application in Education to Foster Human Potential within the General Psychology forums, part of the Topics of Interest category; Like the Sorting Hat found in the Harry Potter series that place students, according to their characters, in one of ...

  1. #1

    The Sorting Hat and its Real-Life Application in Education to Foster Human Potential

    Like the Sorting Hat found in the Harry Potter series that place students, according to their characters, in one of the four houses, the real-life sorting hat would consist of counselors, on the advice of psychologists, accounts by student teachers, and individual students, help determine where the students belong in a "House", with final approval and advice by the child's guardian. The "House" is a multi-step process in the life of a child, and helps shape the child into what he will eventually become.

    This process assumes that each person has the potential to be a leader or expert in his endeavors, if properly trained and fostered, according to the interests and natural talents of the individual. Advancements in personality psychology, as with the MBTI+ system, will help make this happen. This will create a more efficient job system, and helps ensure the right people are placed in key positions.

    Each "House" will engage students' mentally, creatively, emotionally, and physically. Mentally in that they will learn all they could, emotionally in that they will be properly socialized with fellow students, and people of different backgrounds and cultures. Physically in that the students will be ensured of proper exercise, and nutrition, so that nobody is left behind. Creatively in that they will be trained in a skill like art or music.

    The Houses can be:

    Military and Politics - Physical Sciences (special focus on math, chemistry, physics)
    Military and Politics - Humanities (special focus on psychology, culture, literature)
    Economy and Politics - Physical Sciences (special focus on math, finance, economics)
    Economy and Politics - Humanities (special focus on history, biology, language)
    Peace Advocate thanked this post.



  2. #2

    Figuring out where I truly belong has been a very long, difficult, and nuanced process. Therefore I find it a little hard to imagine that a team of other people, analyzing me in (I presume) my childhood would have been able to figure it out better than I have. But then again, who knows? Maybe they would have. But I think back to the way people characterized me as a kid and how uncomfortable it felt. People have told me I should be such and such and it never felt right from the inside.

    Rowling herself said that Harry belonged in Slytherin, Ron belonged in Hufflepuff, and Hermione belonged in Ravenclaw, but they all made a personal choice, conscious or not, to be in Gryffindor. You never know what's inside someone....

  3. #3

    Well I don't like it for so many reasons.... different people needs different things.

    First of all I would be sad to be raised based on my type. What if I was mistyped, and would the types have to be together like in divergent? So all the x people are together and all the Y people are together? I think we need to learn from each others differences whether we like it or not, for better or for worse. Part of finding yourself is also to learn what you don't like and what you don't wont.

    Also if you are told to fit into a certain box then eventually someone will come along who will feel the need to break out of the box.

    Second. I don't want to be a leader or a an expert. I want to do exactly what I do now. Help people. I don't see that on the list.. I think the world needs more than just leaders and experts.

    For me it seems very black and white..

    Third. I want a category with music and creativity and such, and why is politics in all of them? I don't like politics. In my country, everybody who goes to high school has to have a form of sport class and a form of creativity class. Which I think is super dumb. Because some people are not meant for sport and some aren't meant to be creative. So all the jocks who are forced to be creative kind of ruins it for the rest of us creative types, while we spoil it for the jocks when we have to play something in sports class. Why not just let people be what they want?

    You also say that no one will be left behind but.. Someone will always be better than you, so if we are in the same class and we both liked playing lets say baseball and you are better than me, then that might hurt my self esteem. There could also be factors that makes it physically impossible for me to get as good as you because of my genes for example. So in a ranking system I would be behind.

    It's just something to think about...
    Sensational, Ardielley and Sparky thanked this post.

  4. #4

    What would be the real life application of Gryffindors? Future SJWs?

    Seriously though, it sounds like some Brave New World shit.
    Sensational and Nephandus thanked this post.

  5. #5

    Quote Originally Posted by charlie.elliot View Post
    Figuring out where I truly belong has been a very long, difficult, and nuanced process. Therefore I find it a little hard to imagine that a team of other people, analyzing me in (I presume) my childhood would have been able to figure it out better than I have. But then again, who knows? Maybe they would have. But I think back to the way people characterized me as a kid and how uncomfortable it felt. People have told me I should be such and such and it never felt right from the inside.

    Rowling herself said that Harry belonged in Slytherin, Ron belonged in Hufflepuff, and Hermione belonged in Ravenclaw, but they all made a personal choice, conscious or not, to be in Gryffindor. You never know what's inside someone....
    There are already people tracking your thumb print who know exactly where you fit with every click. They are called market researchers. I am sure the same system could be used to assemble this. However my problem with this concept is it would not create well rounded people.
    Sparky and Penny thanked this post.

  6. #6

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovable View Post
    Well I don't like it for so many reasons.... different people needs different things.

    First of all I would be sad to be raised based on my type. What if I was mistyped, and would the types have to be together like in divergent? So all the x people are together and all the Y people are together? I think we need to learn from each others differences whether we like it or not, for better or for worse. Part of finding yourself is also to learn what you don't like and what you don't wont.

    Also if you are told to fit into a certain box then eventually someone will come along who will feel the need to break out of the box.

    Second. I don't want to be a leader or a an expert. I want to do exactly what I do now. Help people. I don't see that on the list.. I think the world needs more than just leaders and experts.

    For me it seems very black and white..

    Third. I want a category with music and creativity and such, and why is politics in all of them? I don't like politics. In my country, everybody who goes to high school has to have a form of sport class and a form of creativity class. Which I think is super dumb. Because some people are not meant for sport and some aren't meant to be creative. So all the jocks who are forced to be creative kind of ruins it for the rest of us creative types, while we spoil it for the jocks when we have to play something in sports class. Why not just let people be what they want?

    You also say that no one will be left behind but.. Someone will always be better than you, so if we are in the same class and we both liked playing lets say baseball and you are better than me, then that might hurt my self esteem. There could also be factors that makes it physically impossible for me to get as good as you because of my genes for example. So in a ranking system I would be behind.

    It's just something to think about...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensational View Post
    There are already people tracking your thumb print who know exactly where you fit with every click. They are called market researchers. I am sure the same system could be used to assemble this. However my problem with this concept is it would not create well rounded people.

    What if I'm typed wrong?

    This is a multi-step process, so the process of typing and finding interests begins first at 5 years old (entering elementary school; traits like socialbility and aggressiveness can be found), then 10 years old (graduating elementary school - what does the child want to do when grown up? Law, design, counseling or psychology, etc.), then 14 years old (entering high school - what is the child's interest? History, music, art, sports, math, biology, computers, etc.), and 18 years old (entering college - how did the child do in his classes up to this point? What are his hobbies?).

    What if I feel like I don't belong?

    The student has the option to switch to another group, upon speaking to the counsellor, and with teachers' and parents' approval

    What if I don't want to be the best, just doing customer service?

    If you have studied history, psychology, English, and don't feel like going into academics, then you are welcome to be in customer relations, or something else that captures your interest, instead of an expert, industry leader, or manager.

    If I like art and music, but not sports, can I opt out not doing some of the things mentioned?

    The students will be allowed to try different creative arts, like drawing, singing, or playing music; as well as sports, like soccer, tennis, basketball, and track-field.

    What if I feel like I'm not the best, and get discouraged?

    While everyone will be taught the basic maths, science, history, economics, psychology, computers, home crafts, and a language, only people who excel in a certain area, or want to be challenged, get placed in accelerated programs. If you feel like you are fine at a pace that works for most people, then you do not need to enroll in accelerated classes.

    What if I want to be more rounded, or be exposed to more occupations or career options?

    During the path selection process, students will be taken on field trips, or assigned to companies where they can shadow people as they work. Diversity in any field is important, and even if someone might not excel at a field, their presence might still lead to interesting insights, or make important contributions. For these people, during their job search, they will be given tours from company to company, and position to position, where they can contribute their unique insights or skills for a set amount of time. In this case, they will not be obligated to work and stay for one company, but "shared" by many companies, job positions, and diverse career fields. This will maximize the human potential for the benefit of society.
    Sensational thanked this post.

  7. #7

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    The Houses can be:

    Military and Politics - Physical Sciences (special focus on math, chemistry, physics)
    Military and Politics - Humanities (special focus on psychology, culture, literature)
    Economy and Politics - Physical Sciences (special focus on math, finance, economics)
    Economy and Politics - Humanities (special focus on history, biology, language)
    These houses don't work for me. In school I liked psychology (my major), foreign languages, and math. I wouldn't like any of the other subjects. Hated literature, for instance. Why not just let people choose their own classes?

    I like the idea of a house system that's independent from course areas. More like a fun thing with the point system that encourages competition between houses and motivates students to try their best, while also allowing students to make friends more easily as they know they have something in common with students in the same house.
    Peace Advocate thanked this post.

  8. #8

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Like the Sorting Hat found in the Harry Potter series that place students, according to their characters, in one of the four houses, the real-life sorting hat would consist of counselors, on the advice of psychologists, accounts by student teachers, and individual students, help determine where the students belong in a "House", with final approval and advice by the child's guardian. The "House" is a multi-step process in the life of a child, and helps shape the child into what he will eventually become.

    This process assumes that each person has the potential to be a leader or expert in his endeavors, if properly trained and fostered, according to the interests and natural talents of the individual. Advancements in personality psychology, as with the MBTI+ system, will help make this happen. This will create a more efficient job system, and helps ensure the right people are placed in key positions.

    Each "House" will engage students' mentally, creatively, emotionally, and physically. Mentally in that they will learn all they could, emotionally in that they will be properly socialized with fellow students, and people of different backgrounds and cultures. Physically in that the students will be ensured of proper exercise, and nutrition, so that nobody is left behind. Creatively in that they will be trained in a skill like art or music.

    The Houses can be:

    Military and Politics - Physical Sciences (special focus on math, chemistry, physics)
    Military and Politics - Humanities (special focus on psychology, culture, literature)
    Economy and Politics - Physical Sciences (special focus on math, finance, economics)
    Economy and Politics - Humanities (special focus on history, biology, language)
    I don't understand why it has to be 'military & politics', 'economy & politics'. Also I agree with the previous poster that coursework shouldn't be based on that.

    And there's also the issue of how people would be sorted. We don't have a sorting hat to read our minds and hearts so it would in essence be dependent on another human, which sounds like not a great idea.
    PS. Biology is very much a physical science

  9. #9

    Well this would be nice, I disliked how my school forced us into maths. I practically failed, and at one time a part in maths took me a whole week to understand/get. Literally I cried/screamed a bit at how I was being forced to do so.

    I was like "whoever invented this maths work I hate this, I hate you, I hate you!"
    Last edited by Hero of Freedom; 11-15-2017 at 04:00 PM.

  10. #10

    Quote Originally Posted by Defender of Light View Post
    Well this would be nice, I disliked how my school forced us into maths. I practically failed, and at one time a part in maths took me a whole week to understand/get. Literally I cried/screamed a bit at how I was being forced to do so.

    I was like "whoever invented this maths work I hate this, I hate you, I hate you!"
    I feel this explains a lot about you.


     
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The sorting hat and mbti!
    By Dinognar in forum Myers Briggs Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-11-2017, 08:45 AM
  2. Replies: 139
    Last Post: 07-26-2015, 03:44 PM
  3. [ENFP] Clumsiness and ENFPs - real life or just another stereotype?
    By Sewcialist in forum ENFP Forum - The Inspirers
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-16-2012, 09:17 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:21 PM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
© 2014 PersonalityCafe
 

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0