What makes people to commit crimes? Personality Disorders may play a big part in that

What makes people to commit crimes? Personality Disorders may play a big part in that

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26
Thank Tree14Thanks

This is a discussion on What makes people to commit crimes? Personality Disorders may play a big part in that within the General Psychology forums, part of the Topics of Interest category; I was browsing a web and thinking about schizotypal PD today. I found this study done about criminals in Greek ...

  1. #1

    What makes people to commit crimes? Personality Disorders may play a big part in that

    I was browsing a web and thinking about schizotypal PD today. I found this study done about criminals in Greek prison:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6086037/

    Turns out, that many people, who broke the law actually have a mental disorder and that means, that mentally healthy individuals are less likely to commit crimes. But another interesting fact is that schizoids and schizotypals were actually more likely to commit violent crimes, yet in some disorder descriptions, those disorders are said to be harmless to others, yet mostly causing problems for person itself.

    I found results, being something, that I couldn't have expected. After all, Antisocial people would have been the most obvious suspects. On the other hand, it makes me happy, that people without personality disorders aren't likely to commit a crime. Another discovery is that individuals, who reached higher than high school education are many times less likely to commit crimes.

    All in all, this study shows a lot of data about, who criminal is more likely to be and why people become criminals.
    Spacenik86 thanked this post.



  2. #2

    Correlation is not causation. Prison is a shitty environment and could help, if not cause, people to develop a PD, especially if they are incarcerated for a long time.

    Different regions of the world recognize different things as crimes, so comparing the results of this study to places outside of Greece would require taking into account the exact nature of the crimes for which the subjects had been convicted. We don't even know whether the subjects were actually guilty or whether the sample size (308) is large enough to be representative of male Grecian prisoners.

    In summary, the study results do not provide much information. That is reflected in the researchers conclusion.

  3. #3

    Quote Originally Posted by Caleph Calesandres View Post
    Correlation is not causation. Prison is a shitty environment and could help, if not cause, people to develop a PD, especially if they are incarcerated for a long time.

    Different regions of the world recognize different things as crimes, so comparing the results of this study to places outside of Greece would require taking into account the exact nature of the crimes for which the subjects had been convicted. We don't even know whether the subjects were actually guilty or whether the sample size (308) is large enough to be representative of male Grecian prisoners.

    In summary, the study results do not provide much information. That is reflected in the researchers conclusion.
    Okay you have some good point, but look here:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26785057
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16806489

    It also says that schizotypy is related to alleviated aggression. Sure, these are just scraps of research done, but still. There's a suggestion, that schizotypy can lead to higher aggression. I also read about changes in brain of those individuals and it seems like some parts of their brain lose neural connections and there some information gets lost, which may be perceived as visions or other magical thinking stuff. I think, that if there are parts of brains reduced, then it's possible that schizotypals specifically can get annoyed at some stimulants and since nothing more civil comes to their mind, they may use their primal instincts and resort to violence. After all, their area of brains, which is responsible for interacting with others is affected, so this just strengthens this theory. With schizoids it's a little bit more obvious as their coldness is widely known trait.

    I don't know if you know, but schizophrenics are kinda dangerous and word schizotypy, means traits shared between all schizo disorders. So it makes sense, that schizotypals and schizoids may be more prone to becoming violent.

    I'm not sure if people in prison could become disordered. Some will, but not all. Meanwhile in other prisons, it seems that there may be more people with PDs. I highly doubt that prison is such a shithole, that makes people disordered. There should be a high percentage of criminals, who came with disorders already. After all, something pushed them into committing their crimes, that many normal people can't accept as normal behaviour.

    Of course, more research would be helpful, but we don't have that yet. What we already have, should give some hints.

  4. #4

    Depends on what is meant by "crime". I'm a serial jaywalker, (wait... I have tons of issues.., you're right!!)I don't doubt disorders may play a role in crime, but what really is the ratio between affected and non-affected involved in crime? Personality disorders don't always come out as overtly disruptive like schizophrenia. Sociopaths can blend in quite well, even act within the law. Breaking the law is more "of circumstance" than just mental disorders.
    BigApplePi thanked this post.

  5. #5

    Quote Originally Posted by The red spirit View Post
    Okay you have some good point, but look here:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26785057
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16806489

    It also says that schizotypy is related to alleviated aggression. Sure, these are just scraps of research done, but still. There's a suggestion, that schizotypy can lead to higher aggression. I also read about changes in brain of those individuals and it seems like some parts of their brain lose neural connections and there some information gets lost, which may be perceived as visions or other magical thinking stuff. I think, that if there are parts of brains reduced, then it's possible that schizotypals specifically can get annoyed at some stimulants and since nothing more civil comes to their mind, they may use their primal instincts and resort to violence. After all, their area of brains, which is responsible for interacting with others is affected, so this just strengthens this theory. With schizoids it's a little bit more obvious as their coldness is widely known trait.

    I don't know if you know, but schizophrenics are kinda dangerous and word schizotypy, means traits shared between all schizo disorders. So it makes sense, that schizotypals and schizoids may be more prone to becoming violent.

    I'm not sure if people in prison could become disordered. Some will, but not all. Meanwhile in other prisons, it seems that there may be more people with PDs. I highly doubt that prison is such a shithole, that makes people disordered. There should be a high percentage of criminals, who came with disorders already. After all, something pushed them into committing their crimes, that many normal people can't accept as normal behaviour.

    Of course, more research would be helpful, but we don't have that yet. What we already have, should give some hints.
    I disagree with the bolded part of your quote. Schizophrenics are not dangerous. Someone with severe schizotypal personality disorder may be more prone to violence but that's due to the type of symptoms a schozitypal displays which would being induced to violence out of fear. Schizophrenics are mostly victims of society due to not knowing what to believe as reality.
    R22 and Sensational thanked this post.

  6. #6

    This is my favorite website on the topic (among other connected ones), he has some really good practical/ real life knowledge. If you have time to poke around, there’s lots of good info found here:

    https://www.nononsenseselfdefense.co...almindset.html
    Scoobyscoob thanked this post.

  7. #7

    Quote Originally Posted by The red spirit View Post
    I was browsing a web and thinking about schizotypal PD today. I found this study done about criminals in Greek prison:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6086037/

    Turns out, that many people, who broke the law actually have a mental disorder and that means, that mentally healthy individuals are less likely to commit crimes. But another interesting fact is that schizoids and schizotypals were actually more likely to commit violent crimes, yet in some disorder descriptions, those disorders are said to be harmless to others, yet mostly causing problems for person itself.

    I found results, being something, that I couldn't have expected. After all, Antisocial people would have been the most obvious suspects. On the other hand, it makes me happy, that people without personality disorders aren't likely to commit a crime. Another discovery is that individuals, who reached higher than high school education are many times less likely to commit crimes.

    All in all, this study shows a lot of data about, who criminal is more likely to be and why people become criminals.
    Are you talking violent crime only? What about white collar crime?

    Anyway people in society for the most part are not criminals. They try to get along with their fellows. Actions which don't get along mean having to either want something with a very strong self-interest (like robbing a bank or feeding a starving family) or with a disassociation to others who are directly harmed. That is, they don't see, care for or overlook other's pain.

    One can draw their own conclusions for what kind of person would have this disassociation. A common crime with extreme disassociation is cheating on one's taxes, driving over the speed limit and exaggerating insurance losses.

    On 2nd thought I wonder if driving over the speed limit isn't a violent crime? Think of the higher risk of death and injury to others by doing so!

  8. #8

    Quote Originally Posted by R22 View Post
    This is my favorite website on the topic (among other connected ones), he has some really good practical/ real life knowledge. If you have time to poke around, there’s lots of good info found here:

    https://www.nononsenseselfdefense.co...almindset.html
    Yes, thanks for that link. That was a surprisingly good read and the conclusion on what constitutes a criminal mind makes sense and is more than likely accurate.
    R22 thanked this post.

  9. #9

    NM will PM ya
    Last edited by Sensational; 06-08-2019 at 12:48 PM.
    The red spirit thanked this post.

  10. #10

    Quote Originally Posted by BigApplePi View Post
    On 2nd thought I wonder if driving over the speed limit isn't a violent crime? Think of the higher risk of death and injury to others by doing so!
    While it's harmful, almost no one really understands that, while actually doing it. Some countries also have very high speeding rates, so there is another question. Are you actually paranoid for not speeding just like everybody else?
    BigApplePi thanked this post.


     
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [ENFP] When did you realise you were ready to commit to someone (in general)? -or...
    By Tridentus in forum ENFP Forum - The Inspirers
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-09-2019, 07:43 PM
  2. Personality types and crimes they would commit
    By Zeus in forum Myers Briggs Forum
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 11-04-2017, 06:14 PM
  3. [INFJ] Psychological disorders and INFJs (mood disorders, personality disorders, etc.).
    By Invision in forum INFJ Forum - The Protectors
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-22-2014, 10:33 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-25-2012, 02:06 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:28 PM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
© 2014 PersonalityCafe
 

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0