A Question for Anybody Diagnosed With Anxiety

A Question for Anybody Diagnosed With Anxiety

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
Thank Tree28Thanks

This is a discussion on A Question for Anybody Diagnosed With Anxiety within the General Psychology forums, part of the Topics of Interest category; Does anybody's anxiety come with overwhelming nausea? Does this nausea ever cause you to vomit? This has been a common ...

  1. #1

    A Question for Anybody Diagnosed With Anxiety

    Does anybody's anxiety come with overwhelming nausea? Does this nausea ever cause you to vomit?
    This has been a common phenomena for me since early childhood, and I'm curious if anybody else has experienced it, or has any information.
    QueCueYew and Spades thanked this post.



  2. #2

    My anxiety never came with nausea that caused me to vomit. It did come with splitting headaches and occasional migraines, though.

  3. #3

    I'm not officially diagnosed, but maybe should be, so take of it what you will.

    Yes, occasionally. In my experience, anxiety-induced nausea occurs when anxiety occurs on top of things that can cause nausea on their own but aren't severe enough to do so (so, minor to moderate dehydration, over-heating, under-eating, etc.), though I can't be sure that those symptoms don't help trigger the anxiety somewhat. Also, if my anxiety is related to a food/weight/self-image trigger, that will usually result in nausea.

    I don't have any clinical information about it, but I doubt it's uncommon. Like someone not diagnosed with anxiety may still become nauseous or vomit due to nerves once or twice in their life. Factor in chronic anxiety, and you have a much higher potentiality.

    As far as coping goes... ugh, it's such a lose-lose that it's difficult, because I can't think of any natural reaction to nausea or vomiting besides more anxiety. Maybe trying natural cures to the nausea itself first, if possible- drinking cold water, or eating a bit of dried ginger/ginger candy seems to work well for me- and then coping with the anxiety.

  4. #4

    Yes! I'm diagnosed with a bunch of anxiety disorders and if I get very anxious I get nauseated and sometimes I do vomit from it. It's terrible, especially since I'm emetophobic (phobic of vomiting).
    Promethea, Up and Away, Spades and 1 others thanked this post.

  5. #5

    Most descriptions of anxiety I have read include nausea as a symptom.

    Many links here.
    mushr00m and Audrey thanked this post.

  6. #6

    I separate anxiety into two types generally, mental and physical. They can both feed into each other and increase one another. Its a lot to get into, but basically, the physical anxiety -- whether caused by just a physical condition, or a build-up of mental anxiety can indeed cause nausea. The reason is adrenaline.

    Your mind is perceiving threats if you are a sufferer of anxiety, and this gets your adrenaline pumping throughout the day. Eventually, this adrenaline built up in the body is going to dump, course through your body, and you will react the way anyone reacts to a sudden overload of adrenaline -- sharper vision, need to empty the bowels, vomit, feeling shakey, etc.. and all the other symptoms of anxiety potentially.

    There is another possibility. If you have a problem with your upper GI at all, or stomach, then you can have some vagus nerve stimulation which actually -causes- anxiety on its own physically.. it also causes vomiting.

    Acid reflux sufferers can get hit by a double-whammy here, and actually have their mental anxiety cause their acid reflux to worsen, but then have the reflux cause the physical feeling of anxiety to worsen, in this kind of hellish loop.

    I have read that the best way to control one's acid reflux is to avoid stress.

    Anyway sure, vomiting or just an upset stomach in general, and anxiety are very interrelated because of adrenaline, or the vagus nerve.
    Kitagawa Megumi, unico, mushr00m and 3 others thanked this post.

  7. #7

    Quote Originally Posted by unico View Post
    Yes! I'm diagnosed with a bunch of anxiety disorders and if I get very anxious I get nauseated and sometimes I do vomit from it. It's terrible, especially since I'm emetophobic (phobic of vomiting).
    I know what you mean. I haven't vomited in over a year now, and the thought of it frightens me. I was desensitized to it as a child because it happened weekly, but now I'm terribly afraid.
    unico thanked this post.

  8. #8

    Quote Originally Posted by Promethea View Post
    I separate anxiety into two types generally, mental and physical. They can both feed into each other and increase one another. Its a lot to get into, but basically, the physical anxiety -- whether caused by just a physical condition, or a build-up of mental anxiety can indeed cause nausea. The reason is adrenaline.

    Your mind is perceiving threats if you are a sufferer of anxiety, and this gets your adrenaline pumping throughout the day. Eventually, this adrenaline built up in the body is going to dump, course through your body, and you will react the way anyone reacts to a sudden overload of adrenaline -- sharper vision, need to empty the bowels, vomit, feeling shakey, etc.. and all the other symptoms of anxiety potentially.

    There is another possibility. If you have a problem with your upper GI at all, or stomach, then you can have some vagus nerve stimulation which actually -causes- anxiety on its own physically.. it also causes vomiting.

    Acid reflux sufferers can get hit by a double-whammy here, and actually have their mental anxiety cause their acid reflux to worsen, but then have the reflux cause the physical feeling of anxiety to worsen, in this kind of hellish loop.

    I have read that the best way to control one's acid reflux is to avoid stress.

    Anyway sure, vomiting or just an upset stomach in general, and anxiety are very interrelated because of adrenaline, or the vagus nerve.
    Thank you very much. That helps me understand it much more.
    Promethea thanked this post.

  9. #9

    Quote Originally Posted by unico View Post
    Yes! I'm diagnosed with a bunch of anxiety disorders and if I get very anxious I get nauseated and sometimes I do vomit from it. It's terrible, especially since I'm emetophobic (phobic of vomiting).
    Quote Originally Posted by Audrey View Post
    I know what you mean. I haven't vomited in over a year now, and the thought of it frightens me. I was desensitized to it as a child because it happened weekly, but now I'm terribly afraid.
    I used to be severely emetophobic! I remember back when I first discovered it, there were only a couple websites on it. I specifically remember an extremely good one which I can't seem to find now. It did a survey of many people and found that emetophobes had outstanding ability to prevent themselves from vomiting, despite feeling much more nausea than the average person. It suggested that vomiting is partially voluntary. This is what triggered my quest to understand and control my own mind ^_^ Haven't vomited in about 14 years, now I'm just trying to keep that streak. O_O

    From here:
    Many emetophobia sufferers experience frequent nausea and digestive upsets. These are extremely common symptoms of anxiety, and can lead to a self-replicating cycle. You are afraid to vomit, and the fear causes nausea and stomach pain. This makes you feel like vomiting, which in turn makes you more afraid. Research indicates that this cycle may be the result in hypervigilent sensitivity to gastrointestinal symptoms and misappraisal of nausea and other GI symptoms.
    What a horrible feedback loop! This helped me understand it:
    Some experts believe that emetophobia may be linked to worries about lack of control. Many people try to control themselves and their environment in every possible way, but vomiting is difficult or impossible to control. It sometimes happens at times and in places that are embarrassing or inconvenient, which can be highly distressing.
    Hopefully you don't have this! But yes, nausea from anxiety is extremely common so don't worry =)
    Finaille, unico and Audrey thanked this post.

  10. #10

    Quote Originally Posted by Spades View Post
    I used to be severely emetophobic! I remember back when I first discovered it, there were only a couple websites on it. I specifically remember an extremely good one which I can't seem to find now. It did a survey of many people and found that emetophobes had outstanding ability to prevent themselves from vomiting, despite feeling much more nausea than the average person. It suggested that vomiting is partially voluntary. This is what triggered my quest to understand and control my own mind ^_^ Haven't vomited in about 14 years, now I'm just trying to keep that streak. O_O

    From here:


    What a horrible feedback loop! This helped me understand it:


    Hopefully you don't have this! But yes, nausea from anxiety is extremely common so don't worry =)
    I've heard that emetophobes often vomit less than average. Unfortunately, I am not one of those:( I have a weak stomach and throw up easily. However, I am prescribed Zofran due to stomach troubles+fear of vomiting interfering with me eating (I used to be anorexic) and it helps a lot.
    Spades thanked this post.


     
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What Disorders are you DIAGNOSED with?
    By Marino in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 242
    Last Post: 12-04-2014, 08:58 PM
  2. [ENFP] How many of you have been ADHD diagnosed?
    By KaylRyck in forum ENFP Forum - The Inspirers
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 06-07-2012, 12:25 PM
  3. [INFP] Just diagnosed with anxiety disorder
    By insidetheinfp in forum INFP Forum - The Idealists
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-15-2011, 02:47 PM
  4. [ISFP] Diagnosed myself as an ISFP
    By dreamer 1977 in forum ISFP Forum - The Artists
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-16-2010, 01:52 AM
  5. Have you ever been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD?
    By DecayisinevitableisISFP in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-28-2010, 05:29 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:04 PM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
© 2014 PersonalityCafe
 

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0