[Generation Y] Do you think they'll ever be a 100% agreed cutoff for when a gen starts and ends?

Do you think they'll ever be a 100% agreed cutoff for when a gen starts and ends?

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 71
Thank Tree35Thanks

This is a discussion on Do you think they'll ever be a 100% agreed cutoff for when a gen starts and ends? within the Generation Y Forum forums, part of the The Generations category; As everyone here knows the spans of a generation is not fully agreed upon by people. You'll come up with ...

  1. #1

    Do you think they'll ever be a 100% agreed cutoff for when a gen starts and ends?

    As everyone here knows the spans of a generation is not fully agreed upon by people. You'll come up with a span for a generation, but you'll also have those who come up with generation spans that are different than yours. For example I've seen tons of sources that show different span of years for generation Y (most tend to start in the 1980s and end in around 1995-1996 and some in 2000-2001).

    Edit: Oops! Seems I messed up on the title of this thread. My bad.
    Last edited by LanceDead13; 05-20-2015 at 09:58 AM.



  2. #2

    More accurate gen y is 1984 - 2002. Born in early 80s are XY cusps. People born in mid 00s are definetely gen z. Generation definitions is based on a group of peoples similarities in their childhood (age under 18). If the gap is big, similarities will be lesser. In my view, a generation should be span max 10/15 years than 20 years.

  3. #3

    Quote Originally Posted by Wtpmjgda View Post
    More accurate gen y is 1984 - 2002. Born in early 80s are XY cusps. People born in mid 00s are definetely gen z. Generation definitions is based on a group of peoples similarities in their childhood (age under 18). If the gap is big, similarities will be lesser. In my view, a generation should be span max 10/15 years than 20 years.
    Well of course it has to be long enough to actually be a generation (I tend to think 15 - 20 years). I don't really agree with the spans for gen Y that personality cafe is using. I don't see many sources start Gen Y in the 1970s as the end of the 70s is usually considered late Gen X. Gen Y usually starts in the 1980s and ends somewhere in the late 1990s or early 2000s. 1994 seems a bit too early to me, but hey it's all just my own opinion based on what I could look up.
    Last edited by LanceDead13; 05-21-2015 at 10:31 AM.
    donnie darko thanked this post.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PersonalityCafe.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4

    What i found is these gen z kids has multi tasking/ task switching ablity more than gen y. For eg. They chat in fb while they play games or stream youtube videos while eating, etc. People born in 90s isnt like that when they are kids. Kids born in 00s can adapt wide range of technologies much faster than their preceders. Becoz they born and growing with technology.
    Willtip98 and karlpalaka thanked this post.

  6. #5

    Quote Originally Posted by LanceDead13 View Post
    As everyone here knows the spans of a generation is not fully agreed upon by people. You'll come up with a span for a generation, but you'll also have those who come up with generation spans that are different than yours. For example I've seen tons of sources that show different span of years for generation Y (most tend to start in the 1980s and end in around 1995-1996 and some in 2000-2001).

    Edit: Oops! Seems I messed up on the title of this thread. My bad.
    Personally I think the definition of Gen Y really boils down on person to person. Some believe it's 1980-1995 while other might believe it's 1981-1996. Some might associate Gen Y as being a "90's kid" while others might associate with being born right before the turn of the millennium (so 1982-2000ish).

    Personally I like the early 80's to mid-late 90's definition the best.

    I guess I would personally consider 1981/1982-1985/1986 sort of a hybrid between Gen X and Gen Y (though leaning on the Y side), 1987-1996 as being the 'peak' of the generation and 1997-2000/1 being YZ hybrid (leaning more Y).

    But hey everybody's entitled to their own opinion

  7. #6

    Quote Originally Posted by Wtpmjgda View Post
    What i found is these gen z kids has multi tasking/ task switching ablity more than gen y. For eg. They chat in fb while they play games or stream youtube videos while eating, etc. People born in 90s isnt like that when they are kids. Kids born in 00s can adapt wide range of technologies much faster than their preceders. Becoz they born and growing with technology.
    Well that does have truth to it. Kids who grew up in the mid-late 00s during most of their childhood had things like facebook, youtube etc etc. During the mid-late 00s we had Web 2.0 and AOL Dial up was less commonly used. Kid born from say the mid 90s grew up mostly between the late 90s and early 00s and with the millennium culture/early 00's culture where things like Dial up and Web 1.0 was still commonly used and things like Facebook and Youtube didn't exist. It's why I can see how early 00's kids who are from the mid 90s wouldn't be able to multitask when they were young. While today smartphones/tablets and other devices are common with kids under 10 years old. But before kids didn't have things like phones when they were pretty young (maybe some did and I just haven't seen them).

    I'll admit being able to multitask at a young age and being able to familiarize yourself with technology is pretty cool. I remember I wasn't even able to figure out how to use a VCR until I was around 7-8, but my niece who is only 5 can already use a tablet. It's pretty cool to me.


    Quote Originally Posted by OcarinaFan96 View Post
    Personally I think the definition of Gen Y really boils down on person to person. Some believe it's 1980-1995 while other might believe it's 1981-1996. Some might associate Gen Y as being a "90's kid" while others might associate with being born right before the turn of the millennium (so 1982-2000ish).

    Personally I like the early 80's to mid-late 90's definition the best.

    I guess I would personally consider 1981/1982-1985/1986 sort of a hybrid between Gen X and Gen Y (though leaning on the Y side), 1987-1996 as being the 'peak' of the generation and 1997-2000/1 being YZ hybrid (leaning more Y).

    But hey everybody's entitled to their own opinion
    I don't usually see Gen Y and 90's kids being equal. Last 90's kids are from 1992 which I think is way too early to end Gen Y. Like you've stated everyone is entitled to their opinion on the years. For Gen Y I usually see have these things that I think applies to them.
    - Become a teen or adult in the 00s and started high school before the decade ended
    - Can remember a time period before 9/11 and was in a least Elementary School when it happened (being in school when 9/11 happened is completely different from learning about it in school years later)
    - Used the internet when things like AOL Dial up and Web 1.0 was still around. (Web 1.0 ended in around 2003, but Dial up still used...just with a very low percentage of people using it)
    - Have the behavior of a gen Y member (I've only seen those who are 18+ with your typical gen Y behavior)

    These are just a few things on how I see it. Again I can see how it's different for everyone which is why I wouldn't ever try to get anyone to see it the same way I do. Heck I could even be wrong on a lot of things when talking about gen Y.
    Last edited by LanceDead13; 05-21-2015 at 04:46 PM.

  8. #7

    Quote Originally Posted by LanceDead13 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wtpmjgda View Post
    What i found is these gen z kids has multi tasking/ task switching ablity more than gen y. For eg. They chat in fb while they play games or stream youtube videos while eating, etc. People born in 90s isnt like that when they are kids. Kids born in 00s can adapt wide range of technologies much faster than their preceders. Becoz they born and growing with technology.
    Well that does have truth to it. Kids who grew up in the mid-late 00s during most of their childhood had things like facebook, youtube etc etc. During the mid-late 00s we had Web 2.0 and AOL Dial up was less commonly used. Kid born from say the mid 90s grew up mostly between the late 90s and early 00s and with the millennium culture/early 00's culture where things like Dial up and Web 1.0 was still commonly used and things like Facebook and Youtube didn't exist. It's why I can see how early 00's kids who are from the mid 90s wouldn't be able to multitask when they were young. While today smartphones/tablets and other devices are common with kids under 10 years old. But before kids didn't have things like phones when they were pretty young (maybe some did and I just haven't seen them).

    I'll admit being able to multitask at a young age and being able to familiarize yourself with technology is pretty cool. I remember I wasn't even able to figure out how to use a VCR until I was around 7-8, but my niece who is only 5 can already use a tablet. It's pretty cool to me.


    Quote Originally Posted by OcarinaFan96 View Post
    Personally I think the definition of Gen Y really boils down on person to person. Some believe it's 1980-1995 while other might believe it's 1981-1996. Some might associate Gen Y as being a "90's kid" while others might associate with being born right before the turn of the millennium (so 1982-2000ish).

    Personally I like the early 80's to mid-late 90's definition the best.

    I guess I would personally consider 1981/1982-1985/1986 sort of a hybrid between Gen X and Gen Y (though leaning on the Y side), 1987-1996 as being the 'peak' of the generation and 1997-2000/1 being YZ hybrid (leaning more Y).

    But hey everybody's entitled to their own opinion
    I don't usually see Gen Y and 90's kids being equal. Last 90's kids are from 1992 which I think is way too early to end Gen Y. Like you've stated everyone is entitled to their opinion on the years. For Gen Y I usually see have these things that I think applies to them.
    - Become a teen or adult in the 00s and started high school before the decade ended
    - Can remember a time period before 9/11 and was in a least Elementary School when it happened (being in school when 9/11 happened is completely different from learning about it in school years later)
    - Used the internet when things like AOL Dial up and Web 1.0 was still around. (Web 1.0 ended in around 2003, but Dial up still used...just with a very low percentage of people using it)
    - Have the behavior of a gen Y member (I've only seen those who are 18+ with your typical gen Y behavior)

    These are just a few things on how I see it. Again I can see how it's different for everyone which is why I wouldn't ever try to get anyone to see it the same way I do. Heck I could even be wrong on a lot of things when talking about gen Y.
    Sorry for the late response but I agree! Personally the only one I didn't relate to was starting Hs in the 00's (I stated in 2010) but everything else I remembered & related.

  9. #8

    Honestly I with agree that it's still confusing to know when Gen-Y ends and when Gen-Z begins. But I have studied somewhat on this whole thing as far when Gen Y ended. I was reading an article on Economics in my school about two weeks ago, and in one of the paragraphs of the article it did talk about how in 1995 the Internet broke out to the public which was known as a "The Internet Boom" and shortly afterwards the internet became more acessible by the citizens of the U.S, which I feel is the reason why most people are saying Gen-Y ends in the mid-90s and Gen-Z begins in that same period. But it all depends on what you believe.

  10. #9

    Quote Originally Posted by bigpoltical829 View Post
    Honestly I with agree that it's still confusing to know when Gen-Y ends and when Gen-Z begins. But I have studied somewhat on this whole thing as far when Gen Y ended. I was reading an article on Economics in my school about two weeks ago, and in one of the paragraphs of the article it did talk about how in 1995 the Internet broke out to the public which was known as a "The Internet Boom" and shortly afterwards the internet became more acessible by the citizens of the U.S, which I feel is the reason why most people are saying Gen-Y ends in the mid-90s and Gen-Z begins in that same period. But it all depends on what you believe.
    Yeah the release of internet in 1995 can be a reason as to why Gen Y ended and Gen Z started. Although I tend to believe that both Gen Y and Z are in the same year. Those from early-mid 1995 (as in before the release of internet in August) are in the Gen Y part. And those born in late 1995 (after the internet was released and the Internet Boom had begun) are Gen Z. For example my brother was born in late 1995 so I'd see him as a Gen Z during the Internet Boom (although some sources say that the internet boom started in 1997 which confuses me).

    Although from the people that I've spoken to they don't consider the release of internet to be a valid reason as to why Gen Y ends. They consider things like 9/11 to be a good reason to cut off Gen Y. If you were in school when it happened and can remember the 9/11 event when it was still big then you'd be considered Gen Y (although I must add that it's also is determined on more than just whether or not you can remember the week of 9/11 though).
    Last edited by LanceDead13; 05-24-2015 at 05:28 PM.
    bigpoltical829 thanked this post.

  11. #10

    Quote Originally Posted by LanceDead13 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpoltical829 View Post
    Honestly I with agree that it's still confusing to know when Gen-Y ends and when Gen-Z begins. But I have studied somewhat on this whole thing as far when Gen Y ended. I was reading an article on Economics in my school about two weeks ago, and in one of the paragraphs of the article it did talk about how in 1995 the Internet broke out to the public which was known as a "The Internet Boom" and shortly afterwards the internet became more acessible by the citizens of the U.S, which I feel is the reason why most people are saying Gen-Y ends in the mid-90s and Gen-Z begins in that same period. But it all depends on what you believe.
    Yeah the release of internet in 1995 can be a reason as to why Gen Y ended and Gen Z started. Although I tend to believe that both Gen Y and Z are in the same year. Those from early-mid 1995 (as in before the release of internet in August) are in the Gen Y part. And those born in late 1995 (after the internet was released and the Internet Boom had begun) are Gen Z. For example my brother was born in late 1995 so I'd see him as a Gen Z during the Internet Boom (although some sources say that the internet boom started in 1997 which confuses me).

    Although from the people that I've spoken to they don't consider the release of internet to be a valid reason as to why Gen Y ends. They consider things like 9/11 to be a good reason to cut off Gen Y. If you were in school when it happened and can remember the 9/11 event when it was still big then you'd be considered Gen Y (although I must add that it's also is determined on more than just whether or not you can remember the week of 9/11 though).
    Personally I like the 9/11 definition better because it is easier to explain why or why not someone's a member of Gen y plus I don't think it's valid to say that the release of the Internet is the cutoff for a generation. Especially since most of Gen Y grew up with the Internet. What definition do you guys prefer?


     
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Generation Z] If anything what seperates Gen-Z from Gen-Y in your opinion?
    By bigpoltical829 in forum Generation Z Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-01-2019, 06:12 PM
  2. Cusp Gen: Baby Boomer or X Gen?
    By GhostCrow in forum The Generations
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 10-01-2019, 10:24 AM
  3. Do you consider those born from 1994-1997 Gen Y or Gen Z?
    By ZeldaFan20 in forum Generation Y Forum
    Replies: 1002
    Last Post: 09-20-2019, 03:06 PM
  4. [Generation Z] I'm confused about the age differences between Gen Y and Gen Z
    By L in forum Generation Z Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-11-2019, 10:06 PM
  5. [Generation Y] Blue's Clues - Gen Y or Gen Z?
    By donnie darko in forum Generation Y Forum
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: 09-11-2019, 04:19 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:14 AM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
© 2014 PersonalityCafe
 

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0