[Generation Z] '95 and '96: Separate generations?

'95 and '96: Separate generations?

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46
Thank Tree61Thanks

This is a discussion on '95 and '96: Separate generations? within the Generation Z Forum forums, part of the The Generations category; Question for those on this forum: do you believe 95 and 96 are separate generations at all? On the Internet ...

  1. #1

    '95 and '96: Separate generations?

    Question for those on this forum: do you believe 95 and 96 are separate generations at all?

    On the Internet (particularly Facebook or Youtube), I hear this kind of thing a lot:
    "You're not a 90s kid if you were born after 1995"
    "I bet you were born after 1995, spoiled brat" (granted, the wording could also mean 95 AND after, just like Gen Y is said to be born "after 1980")
    "You won't know what this is if you're under 19-20"
    "I totes remember this Sprite Remix commercial, born in 95! 90's n early 00's 4 lyfe!" [200 thumbs up] "I was born in 96 and I remember watching this as a kid, omg!" [4 thumbs up] "96??? lol shut up kid you can't remember anything before 2006" [80 thumbs up]

    There are also people who seem to think those born in 1996-2000 are "born in the late 90s", even though they're technically not, 1997/98-1999 are only. This image kind of sums it up for me:


    Would you say there is a gap between those born in 1995 and 1996, or is it just elitists acting like their birth year was the "last decent one", as well as 1985-1995 sounding nice and round - a "golden age" of 10 outstanding years under the belt?

    Then again, a line has to be drawn in the sand somewhere; it's not as if someone born Dec 31 1995 was different from Jan 1 1996. There was a gradual TRANSITION.
    Last edited by Abacab333; 10-19-2015 at 09:54 PM.
    xGraveyardWriterx thanked this post.



  2. #2

    I would even go as far as saying people born between 1995-1999 are a completely separate generation compared to Gen Y or Gen Z. They do not directly "fit-in" with Gen Y, but they're not really associated with Gen Z either...

  3. #3

    From personal experience no. Plus, the line shouldn't be drawn randomly in the middle of the decade for no reason. The most popular reasoning is that IE came out in 95 but so what? It's not like kids born after 96 had some different outlook on life because they were born after its release.

    Another popular reasoning is that people born before 95 can remember 9/11. This is also not good because memory is subjective. For example, my clearest memories are from 2000/2001 but I can't remember anything from the 90's (born 93), so would I be included with people born in 1980? Do I consider myself different than my classmates in college (this ranges from 93-97 even farther depending on the person), honestly I can't tell the difference everyone looks and acts the same.

    In the end it's impossible to define when a generation starts and ends. The easiest rule of thumb for me is if your born in the same decade most likely you can relate to each other.

    Those guys are just being dumb in the comments. A generation doesn't define who you are. How about if someone born in 98 or 99 had an older brother/sister? He/she would probably would have a lot of "90's" things around the house.
    Last edited by Link1; 10-19-2015 at 10:59 PM.
    OcarinaFan96, Wtpmjgda, mqg96 and 2 others thanked this post.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PersonalityCafe.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4

    Quote Originally Posted by Briano View Post
    The most popular reasoning is that IE came out in 95 but so what?
    This is what they mean.
    '95-'00 internet generation.
    '01-'06 ipod generations
    2007- present - smart phone generations.
    ...etc
    But they failed to answer WHY?
    Encoder319 thanked this post.

  6. #5

    Quote Originally Posted by NewMember99 View Post
    I would even go as far as saying people born between 1995-1999 are a completely separate generation compared to Gen Y or Gen Z. They do not directly "fit-in" with Gen Y, but they're not really associated with Gen Z either...
    1995 babies can well relate to 91/1992 babies. And a 1999 baby can well relate to early 00s babies. Personally i can't find any difference between me and my 95, 96 born friends.
    BlueLeaves95, Briano and xGraveyardWriterx thanked this post.

  7. #6

    Quote Originally Posted by Wtpmjgda View Post
    This is what they mean.
    '95-'00 internet generation.
    '01-'06 ipod generations
    2007- present - smart phone generations.
    ...etc
    But they failed to answer WHY?
    I agree, I think we need better definitions.
    BlueLeaves95 and Millenium_01 thanked this post.

  8. #7

    Yeah, a lot of people say that the cutoff for Generation Y and the beginning of Generation Z occurred in mid 1995, because of the release of Internet Explorer, which would be mean that Class of 2013 (late 1994-mid 1995) would be the last full Generation Y and then Class of 2014 (late 1995-mid 1996), would be the first full Generation Z. Which I found very hostile and suggestive, because not everybody agrees with it.

    Plus, it's debatable when it's the cutoff for being an early 2000's kid when tons of late 90's influences was still relevant, and then the beginning of a true mid 2000's kid, when there were no more late 90's influences and the core 2000's were in full effect. Would 1995 be the last early 2000's kid, or would 1996 be the first true mid 2000's kids? It depends on how well people's memories go and their own definition of "peak childhood". Also, might I also add that 1995 born's were the last to graduate high school in the early 2010's, that being 2013, right before music took a huge shift, and also, they were the last to enter high school before 2010 began, that being 2009. So I don't really know. It's debatable.

    Now OP, I'm looking at that tag you decided to post with that Youtube comment. Let me get this very common misconception straight out of the water. When it comes to this 90's kid debate, about 1995 being the last 90's kid and 1996 being the first true 2000's kid.... No, that is NOT true and whoever comes close to thinking this logic is an IDIOT!!!! Period! Being 4 years old in 1999 makes you barely qualify, and someone who was 3 in 1999 can't!? When both 3 & 4 years of age are the beginning of childhood and earliest memories? Oh please, get the hell out of here with that mess. In order to qualify as a 90's kid you have to spend the majority of your CORE childhood in the 90's, not early childhood or late childhood. 1995 born's did not start elementary school until late 2000, and their first full year of core childhood would be 2001, so they are out. Matter of fact, someone born in 1995 would be one of the true 2000's kids along with 1996-1998 born's, because all of us had our entire elementary school years in the 2000's, none of us were underlapped or overlapped in the 90's or 2010's.
    OcarinaFan96, NewYorkEagle and Millenium_01 thanked this post.

  9. #8

    Quote Originally Posted by mqg96 View Post
    Yeah, a lot of people say that the cutoff for Generation Y and the beginning of Generation Z occurred in mid 1995, because of the release of Internet Explorer, which would be mean that Class of 2013 (late 1994-mid 1995) would be the last full Generation Y and then Class of 2014 (late 1995-mid 1996), would be the first full Generation Z. Which I found very hostile and suggestive, because not everybody agrees with it.

    Plus, it's debatable when it's the cutoff for being an early 2000's kid when tons of late 90's influences was still relevant, and then the beginning of a true mid 2000's kid, when there were no more late 90's influences and the core 2000's were in full effect. Would 1995 be the last early 2000's kid, or would 1996 be the first true mid 2000's kids? It depends on how well people's memories go and their own definition of "peak childhood". Also, might I also add that 1995 born's were the last to graduate high school in the early 2010's, that being 2013, right before music took a huge shift, and also, they were the last to enter high school before 2010 began, that being 2009. So I don't really know. It's debatable.

    Now OP, I'm looking at that tag you decided to post with that Youtube comment. Let me get this very common misconception straight out of the water. When it comes to this 90's kid debate, about 1995 being the last 90's kid and 1996 being the first true 2000's kid.... No, that is NOT true and whoever comes close to thinking this logic is an IDIOT!!!! Period! Being 4 years old in 1999 makes you barely qualify, and someone who was 3 in 1999 can't!? When both 3 & 4 years of age are the beginning of childhood and earliest memories? Oh please, get the hell out of here with that mess. In order to qualify as a 90's kid you have to spend the majority of your CORE childhood in the 90's, not early childhood or late childhood. 1995 born's did not start elementary school until late 2000, and their first full year of core childhood would be 2001, so they are out. Matter of fact, someone born in 1995 would be one of the true 2000's kids along with 1996-1998 born's, because all of us had our entire elementary school years in the 2000's, none of us were underlapped or overlapped in the 90's or 2010's.
    I don't understand the hostility people who are 90's kids have against those who aren't. Core child is 6-12? If so then you got to be born in 90/91/92 to be one of the last 90 kids (correct me if I'm wrong)?
    xGraveyardWriterx thanked this post.

  10. #9

    Quote Originally Posted by Briano View Post
    I don't understand the hostility people who are 90's kids have against those who aren't. Core child is 6-12? If so then you got to be born in 90/91/92 to be one of the last 90 kids (correct me if I'm wrong)?
    I know you see "6-12" in a lot of places, however, I'd say that core childhood is "6-10". I think 11 & 12 are different stages when you start going through puberty and interests changes, plus by the time you turn 12 you're already in middle school, and it's definitely no longer core childhood. A 6 & 12 year old can't compare to each other at all. Really when you think about it, 13 & early 14 are in the same stage as 11 & 12 year old's, all of it is considered as the early adolescence stage, or very late childhood. I think core childhood is "6-10", while early childhood is " 3-5".
    Briano thanked this post.

  11. #10

    No, not as much as '94/'95 or even '93/'94. I think Personality Cafe has it right by starting Gen Z at '95, but starting Gen Y at '77 might be stretching it.


     
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Why Separate the Generations? We're all One in Our Society
    By Lionness Roar in forum The Generations
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-30-2018, 11:14 AM
  2. [Generation Y] '95 and '96: Separate generations?
    By Abacab333 in forum Generation Y Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-20-2015, 12:42 PM
  3. [ISTJ] Do you like to keep your friends separate?
    By logistician in forum ISTJ Forum - The Duty Fulfillers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-19-2015, 09:10 PM
  4. [ENFJ] How Do You Separate Yourself from Difficult Situations?
    By TemptedFate in forum ENFJ Forum - The Givers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-01-2014, 07:40 PM
  5. Help me separate S and N properly
    By ukinfj in forum Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 01-31-2012, 12:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:08 PM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
© 2014 PersonalityCafe
 

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0