Mechanical Engineering

Mechanical Engineering

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Thank Tree1Thanks
  • 1 Post By Stonewall

This is a discussion on Mechanical Engineering within the Head Triad - Types 5,6,7 forums, part of the Enneagram Personality Theory Forum category; Good morning, figuring out my enneagram has really helped me figure out and have a clear definition of my motivations ...

Type 1

Mechanical Engineering

Good morning, figuring out my enneagram has really helped me figure out and have a clear definition of my motivations for things. It's surprisingly accurate and a great way to articulate something so abstract (to me) as psychology.

Currently I do hvac service as a career, I love it because there is always something to learn and it gives me a chance to learn something then put it into use (helping me move toward 8). It's always in high demand. Because I always research it I've become very competent in it which makes me feel very secure and happy. The problem is when I get too competent at something it becomes boring for me because I run out of things to learn. Before when I did a maintenance I would like it because I could break the system down into parts (mentally) and learn more about the parts. It's getting to the point where it's boring because I've learned everything.

It's also getting to the point where I feel like it's not abstract enough (funny how accurate those type descriptions are) and I would like to delve deeper into the engineering side. Part of me really wants this and the other part says what if it's something your not going to be good at, your already good at your job, why put yourself into a position that you might not be competent in? I think I've worked past that and am working on getting started on a mechanical engineering technology associates degree through the Air Force (after lots of research this seems to be my best option).

My question is do any other type 5s do mechanical engineering? Do you enjoy it? One thing I love about my job is I meet lots of people. I get mixed answers on whether mechanical engineering technology is a good thing to pursue. Some people say engineering techs can be viewed just as well as regular engineers. Some people say it's a waste of time and there is no job market for it. A large part of my fear is putting a lot of effort into this to find there isn't a need for it. Sorry for the long post but it's nice to get these questions out there instead of just thinking and researching them.

Edit: Another thing that bothers me is I'm almost 100% sure I'm an INFJ and it makes me wonder if mechanical engineering is something that an INFJ would fit into well. Figuring out my enneagram really answered a lot of questions for me because INTJ seems accurate for me in a lot of ways too but not as much as INFJ. The type 5 explains that for me now.
    Last edited by Stonewall; 02-03-2016 at 07:07 AM.
    nburns thanked this post.

Type 9

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    My question is do any other type 5s do mechanical engineering? Do you enjoy it? One thing I love about my job is I meet lots of people. I get mixed answers on whether mechanical engineering technology is a good thing to pursue. Some people say engineering techs can be viewed just as well as regular engineers. Some people say it's a waste of time and there is no job market for it. A large part of my fear is putting a lot of effort into this to find there isn't a need for it. Sorry for the long post but it's nice to get these questions out there instead of just thinking and researching them.
    You could start visiting job posting sites now and see if anyone's hiring...

I'm a type five INTJ. I do like mechanical engineering in theory, but I tend to procrastinate. I like thinking about things more than doing them. My favorite part of mechanical engineering is when something I theorized actually happens.