Ask: The Forum's Fitness Freaks! - Page 28

Ask: The Forum's Fitness Freaks!

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 28 of 91 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 78 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 905
Thank Tree604Thanks

This is a discussion on Ask: The Forum's Fitness Freaks! within the Health and Fitness forums, part of the Topics of Interest category; Hi guys, I recently went back to my home country and I fear I might "lose" what I gained during ...

  1. #271

    Hi guys,

    I recently went back to my home country and I fear I might "lose" what I gained during my year abroad.
    I'm female, 20, 5'1, 97-100lbs. When I was in Kyoto as an exchange student, I had to cycle to university everyday, 5 days a week for 30 weeks (15 weeks per semester). That's 6.8 miles / around 10km back and forth everyday, and the road would go uphill on the way to uni. Then I'd grab a drink (usually milk coffee, I skip breakfast otherwise) and climb 4 stairs to class. < the whole thing lasts 35 minutes.

    I won't have these habits anymore now, mainly because I have to take the subway to get to uni. So how can I keep my "tone" legs?
    I'm a very bad runner and it's not that safe to run where I live, but my dad bought a treadmill. Cycling isn't an option either, for the same reasons. I also would like to build up some strength (no muscles in my arms whatsoever). About my diet: I'm not a big fan of fruits but I love vegetables, I love baking but haven't baked anything in months (lack of time), and being Asian (and still living w/ my parents), I usually eat rice, vegetables, and meat for each meal. Thanks for your tips!

  2. #272

    hello fitness tribe!

    i have recently joined a fitness club and been there twice now. i'd like to have some tips to pursue my goals better :D
    it's a club where you mainly use machines to work out. i've been having great difficulty with the machines aimed at training your arm muscles, and my right arm has been hurting a lot because of those lately. and I should mention, I have very little strength in my arms, I used to get most of my exercise through biking for hours.
    I mainly intend to build some strength there, my weight is fine.
    besides that, I hope I can somehow strengthen my immune system through exercise. I ingest more than enough vitamin C every day, but I still have colds a bit too often, so I suspected it's because I don't do a lot of sports.
    lastly, I want to increase my overall stamina. this has been a persistent problem throughout my life.

    So! what can I do to achieve these goals, should I go for something specific, should I do anything outside the fitness club as well? Please tell :D

  3. #273

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinnacage View Post
    hello fitness tribe!

    i have recently joined a fitness club and been there twice now. i'd like to have some tips to pursue my goals better :D
    it's a club where you mainly use machines to work out. i've been having great difficulty with the machines aimed at training your arm muscles, and my right arm has been hurting a lot because of those lately. and I should mention, I have very little strength in my arms, I used to get most of my exercise through biking for hours.
    I mainly intend to build some strength there, my weight is fine.
    besides that, I hope I can somehow strengthen my immune system through exercise. I ingest more than enough vitamin C every day, but I still have colds a bit too often, so I suspected it's because I don't do a lot of sports.
    lastly, I want to increase my overall stamina. this has been a persistent problem throughout my life.

    So! what can I do to achieve these goals, should I go for something specific, should I do anything outside the fitness club as well? Please tell :D
    1) If you want to increase stamina, you're going to want to look into endurance and elevation training. Tabata should be your new friend, along with plyometrics. HIIT cardio will be much more effective in training active and resting heart rates than obsessively cycling.

    2)Lower the weight on your machines and continue to lift. If you're new to working out a muscle group you've previously neglected, it is going to "hurt," but it's necessary for growth. I can't begin to tell you the number of times I don't want to work out because I'm too sore, but consistency has a way of breeding that bad habit right out of you and eventually that "hurt" will be something you can ignore.

    3) No amount of exercise will boost your immune system. Anyone who told you that just lied to you. The only way to do that is through your diet. There's many complicated maps you could consider to tailor the way you eat, but in truth you only need to stick to two foods to have a balanced diet: protein and vegetables.
    Snakecharmer thanked this post.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PersonalityCafe.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #274

    In your opinions, a training regimen for someone who weighs ~340 and wants to start the process of getting down to ~180. There was minimal exercise (sex and occasional treadmill at the gym) until about a year ago, then no exercise at all for the last year. Time to completion is not a factor. It takes as long as it takes.

    Secondly, food choices. I love giant bowls of bran flakes in the morning, but is that a wise choice for someone trying to drop the weight? I also like to include meat, breads, and cheese in meals. If I had to limit it to one, which?

    Finally, what was your most rewarding experience in pursuit of physical fitness?

  6. #275

    Quote Originally Posted by Vic View Post
    In your opinions, a training regimen for someone who weighs ~340 and wants to start the process of getting down to ~180. There was minimal exercise (sex and occasional treadmill at the gym) until about a year ago, then no exercise at all for the last year. Time to completion is not a factor. It takes as long as it takes.

    Secondly, food choices. I love giant bowls of bran flakes in the morning, but is that a wise choice for someone trying to drop the weight? I also like to include meat, breads, and cheese in meals. If I had to limit it to one, which?

    Finally, what was your most rewarding experience in pursuit of physical fitness?
    Walk, walk, walk. That will be the best/safest way to get into the routine. Weight training will also help you improve your fitness as well as build muscle (which ultimately helps in the calorie burning department). Only about 25% of weight management comes from exercise, though — most of your work will be done in the kitchen.

    Not sure about bran flakes, but what I've experienced/read, it's best to make sure you're getting at least 40 grams of fiber a day (I think the RDA is 25g for adults, but I've experienced that 40-60 really gets me feeling good and unbloated/energized) plus lots of water. That in itself will help a lot.

    As far as meat, breads and cheeses... god they are so damn delicious... I would definitely limit the breads and cheeses and focus more on healthy, lean meats. Cheese isn't too bad, but it also depends how much your body really likes dairy. I love how it tastes, but I probably shouldn't be eating a ton of it, so yeah. I know people are all over the place with "carbs are bad" or "carbs are your friends" — I think this really boils down to "everybody is different." Try less carbs (breads, fruits, corn, pasta), see how you feel... you might be surprised. Also, keep in mind that fat doesn't make you fat, calorie intake does, and usually items that are labeled as "low fat" tend to be higher in carbs/sugar and/or sodium. It's REALLY important to read labels, and usually the extra processing required to make something low-fat, really only makes the product less healthy than the full-fat version.

    Personally, I've been struggling with eating well lately (lots of prepackaged stuff and eating out), and so my doctor has me doing a cleanse/elimination diet. This way I can set myself back to zero, so to speak, and then slowly add foods back in and see how I react, so that might be something worth looking into for yourself.

    I think the main thing is just sticking with it, even if you have moments where you say, "Screw it!" and eat out or eat something a little less healthy than you should. Don't beat yourself up, just enjoy it, and then get yourself back on track. Just because you have fast food for lunch, doesn't mean you can't make yourself a healthy dinner.

    Ok, and my most rewarding experience in pursuit of physical fitness? Just having more energy and feeling more like myself again. Also, I walk almost daily now, and I even got into running for a bit (something I've NEVER liked doing), and even ran a few 5k races... was one of the proudest moments in my life. Plus, it feels really good to take care of myself, and it's quite empowering. Sometimes it can be tough saying no to things, but if I say yes to exercise and to what my body needs, it is so rewarding that eventually it doesn't suck so bad or feel so depriving.

    Hope that helps, and please take everything with a grain of salt (but not really, sodium makes you hold water ;D lol)

  7. #276

    Quote Originally Posted by Vic View Post
    In your opinions, a training regimen for someone who weighs ~340 and wants to start the process of getting down to ~180. There was minimal exercise (sex and occasional treadmill at the gym) until about a year ago, then no exercise at all for the last year. Time to completion is not a factor. It takes as long as it takes.

    Secondly, food choices. I love giant bowls of bran flakes in the morning, but is that a wise choice for someone trying to drop the weight? I also like to include meat, breads, and cheese in meals. If I had to limit it to one, which?

    Finally, what was your most rewarding experience in pursuit of physical fitness?
    Get a proper exercise regimen. 4-5 days about the same amount in hours per week, a little more if your body can manage.

    Get rid if the bran, the bread, the cheese. All of those things spike your ilsulin and fight your metabolism to function properly. You really should not eat any of those things, regardless if weight ir firness goals. Red meat is fine, but white meat and fish should take up most of your plate most of the time, along with vegetables. You should also try to match grams of protein to pounds of lean muscle mass to fuel your exercise properly.
    Snakecharmer thanked this post.

  8. #277

    Looking for strength training by doing bodyweight exercises. Do you have any good sources on periodization, reps, exercises?

  9. #278

    Quote Originally Posted by Nighty88 View Post
    Looking for strength training by doing bodyweight exercises. Do you have any good sources on periodization, reps, exercises?
    Here you go: http://cfmoncton.files.wordpress.com...t-list-v15.pdf

    Still, you should consider incorporation with weights. It's an important part of strength training to be able to lift beyond one's body weight. It's the truest test of strength and advancement.
    Mr.Adrian thanked this post.

  10. #279

    Is it better to do a few reps of harder (classic) push ups or more reps of the easier versions? (as depicted in Convict Conditioning)

  11. #280

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Panda View Post
    Is it better to do a few reps of harder (classic) push ups or more reps of the easier versions? (as depicted in Convict Conditioning)
    It's better to do fewer of the harder pushups then when you hit max do the easier ones on top of the count.
    Red Panda thanked this post.


     
Page 28 of 91 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 78 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Freaks and Geeks
    By Kilgore Trout in forum Guess the type
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-19-2016, 01:38 PM
  2. [INFP] Freaks me out!
    By majestic beauty in forum INFP Forum - The Idealists
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-26-2014, 12:31 AM
  3. [INFP] Freaks and Geeks fans?
    By Calvaire in forum INFP Forum - The Idealists
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-04-2010, 11:31 AM
  4. Freaks and Geeks
    By Schwarz in forum Guess the type
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-03-2008, 05:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:52 PM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
© 2014 PersonalityCafe
 

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0