Ask: The Forum's Fitness Freaks! - Page 77

Ask: The Forum's Fitness Freaks!

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 77 of 91 FirstFirst ... 27 67 75 76 77 78 79 87 ... LastLast
Results 761 to 770 of 905
Thank Tree604Thanks

This is a discussion on Ask: The Forum's Fitness Freaks! within the Health and Fitness forums, part of the Topics of Interest category; Originally Posted by Elizabeth Bennet Is there anything better than the plank? Oh, and someone should mention that building muscle ...

  1. #761

    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Bennet View Post
    Is there anything better than the plank?

    Oh, and someone should mention that building muscle under your belly fat makes your belly look bigger ><D
    First and foremost: Any core exercise can do the same as the plank, if you work on it, and/or add weight. Such as the squat. Perfect all-around body exercise.

    Secondly: It depends on what you mean by 'building muscle'. Quite a lot of people think they're building muscle when they're losing weight and their muscle is simply showing through more. As always, it's about what, and how much you're eating. Also-- It's not possible to choose to build muscle in just one area.

    If you're doing body weight exercises, chances are, you're not building that much. But, if you're losing weight and you're seeing a bulge, it's actually because definition is showing through more.
    Shade and Fluctuate thanked this post.

  2. #762

    Quote Originally Posted by Real Observer View Post
    Also sit ups are one of the worse ab exercises. Especially if you have your feet hooked.
    Well, strictly speaking sit-ups doesn't really target the abs, it's an exercise for the iliopsoas (google it). A lot of people just tend to say sit-ups when they mean crunches, which are the ones that do target the abs. I tend to do a sort of hybrid motion, where I perform a rolling movement on my way up and then straighten my torso and keep it static on the way down. Now, I don't know how healthy this kind of motion is for your spine, so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else, but as long as I hurts in the right way in the right places I'll keep doing it :P

  3. #763

    Quote Originally Posted by Distry View Post
    Well, strictly speaking sit-ups doesn't really target the abs, it's an exercise for the iliopsoas (google it). A lot of people just tend to say sit-ups when they mean crunches, which are the ones that do target the abs. I tend to do a sort of hybrid motion, where I perform a rolling movement on my way up and then straighten my torso and keep it static on the way down. Now, I don't know how healthy this kind of motion is for your spine, so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else, but as long as I hurts in the right way in the right places I'll keep doing it :P
    I know very well what illiopsoas is. You still get static activation of abdominals during crunches. But I basically agree with you. It is not very good exercise. What you are doing does not sound all that bad provided your feet are free or propped by the heels and you know how to activate right muscle groups.
    Shade thanked this post.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PersonalityCafe.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #764

    Quote Originally Posted by Real Observer View Post
    I know very well what illiopsoas is. You still get static activation of abdominals during crunches. But I basically agree with you. It is not very good exercise. What you are doing does not sound all that bad provided your feet are free or propped by the heels and you know how to activate right muscle groups.
    Wasn't really trying to imply that you wouldn't know what the illiopsoas is. It was just that I had to google it myself, since the Swedish layman term I'm used to didn't really translate into English

    And I perform my exercise with my feet free. I try to keep my legs straight so that they act as sort of a counterweight as I go back down.

  6. #765

    Quote Originally Posted by Distry View Post
    Wasn't really trying to imply that you wouldn't know what the illiopsoas is. It was just that I had to google it myself, since the Swedish layman term I'm used to didn't really translate into English

    And I perform my exercise with my feet free. I try to keep my legs straight so that they act as sort of a counterweight as I go back down.
    Oh. I never bothered with Czech names in the first place. I just go by the latin ones by default. I have fuckton of anatomy to learn before exams. I would go crazy doing it bi-languaglly
    Shade thanked this post.

  7. #766

    Hi there!

    I would need some advice from you guys. I'm almost 23, Asian (living in Europe), 5'1 and roughly 101 lbs, and I'm what you could consider a "skinny fat" girl. By that I mean that I'm indeed fairly light but I have a fat belly and sometimes it looks like I'm pregnant... the rest of my body is "fine", I mean no one ever believes me when I say that I've got fat to get rid of (I just wear the right clothes to hide it).

    I've read stuff like I shouldn't do too much cardio but rather lift weight and that kind of stuff, but what would you guys advise?

    In terms of diet I don't follow any diet in particular, I don't eat a lot in general anyway (maybe 1200 cal/day max? I don't know but that should be close enough, and I have a very sweet tooth, which is not helping). I'm really, reaaaaaaally hard to motivate when it comes to working out, but this belly fat is upsetting and I'd like to get rid of it one way or another...

    Thanks for your help!

    Edit: I calculated my body fat % using this website (http://www.calculator.net/body-fat-calculator.html) and I'm apparently at 32%... and that's apparently wayyyy way too high.
    Last edited by Chamberlain; 12-20-2015 at 11:20 AM.

  8. #767

    Quote Originally Posted by Chamberlain View Post
    Hi there!

    I would need some advice from you guys. I'm almost 23, Asian (living in Europe), 5'1 and roughly 101 lbs, and I'm what you could consider a "skinny fat" girl. By that I mean that I'm indeed fairly light but I have a fat belly and sometimes it looks like I'm pregnant... the rest of my body is "fine", I mean no one ever believes me when I say that I've got fat to get rid of (I just wear the right clothes to hide it).

    I've read stuff like I shouldn't do too much cardio but rather lift weight and that kind of stuff, but what would you guys advise?

    In terms of diet I don't follow any diet in particular, I don't eat a lot in general anyway (maybe 1200 cal/day max? I don't know but that should be close enough, and I have a very sweet tooth, which is not helping). I'm really, reaaaaaaally hard to motivate when it comes to working out, but this belly fat is upsetting and I'd like to get rid of it one way or another...

    Thanks for your help!

    Edit: I calculated my body fat % using this website (Body Fat Calculator) and I'm apparently at 32%... and that's apparently wayyyy way too high.
    Strength training and cardio should be both part of any training regime. As a trainer I actually dissuade my clients without experience to lift weights in the beginning. It puts too much strain on spine and joints. Way better to start off with bodyweight training to get some strength and stability into the body.
    These tests are shite becouse they cannot account for many variables. Get measurement with caliperation or on inbody machine first.
    Fat distribution over body is determined hormonally mostly. Not lot you can do about that.
    BUIFff your body fat is OK it is more likely that your "pot belly" is not fat, but simply distended abdomen resulting from weak core muscles. Espetialy transversus abdominis. Would you say you have very pronounced curvature of lover back? Do you wear heels often?
    If you actually get measured and find out you have to high fat ratio, come back and I'll doll out some more advice
    Shameless Nation thanked this post.

  9. #768

    Quote Originally Posted by Real Observer View Post
    Strength training and cardio should be both part of any training regime. As a trainer I actually dissuade my clients without experience to lift weights in the beginning. It puts too much strain on spine and joints. Way better to start off with bodyweight training to get some strength and stability into the body.
    That's not necessarily true. A lat pull-down can be a lot lighter than a pull-up, since you can set the weight on a pulley relatively lower than your own bodyweight. If starting with the bar on squats is too heavy, someone could just start out doing goblet squats. Push-ups can be a lot heavier for someone than, say, dumbell presses. Etc, etc.

  10. #769

    Quote Originally Posted by Derange At 170 View Post
    That's not necessarily true. A lat pull-down can be a lot lighter than a pull-up, since you can set the weight on a pulley relatively lower than your own bodyweight. If starting with the bar on squats is too heavy, someone could just start out doing goblet squats. Push-ups can be a lot heavier for someone than, say, dumbell presses. Etc, etc.
    Allright Mr. Nitpicker "generally" dissuade. You are right of course that some bodyweight exercises need buildup or progression and machines and/or weights can be part of that. What I meant that it is not a good thing for beginner to dry and do 80kg Clean and Jerk for example.

  11. #770

    Quote Originally Posted by Saintsqc View Post
    Then, you're going to gain belly fat.

    Btw, for natty (beginner) lifters, bulking/cutting is a counterproductive and unhealthy strategy. Recomp is simpler, as effecient and more healthy. I did a few bulk/cut cycles just to realize that I looked and felt like shit 50% of the time. A good diet, without surplus or deficit, and hard training yield to the same results.
    I think people view the terms 'bulking' and 'cutting' a little narrowly here. There's nothing wrong with bulking or cutting -- just with too large of a surpluss/deficit. The issue mainly lies with naturals, usually with relatively high fat percentages (15+ %), emulating bodybuilders with sub-10% bodyfat. Which usually means that they have much poorer calorie/nutrient partitioning. Really, most men would be wise to slowly slimdown to around 10% bodyfat (and women to their equivalent bodyfat percentage), and then slowly bulk up, never exceeding 13% bodyfat, to optimize calorie partitioning (though there are exceptions obviously).

    You can actually gain muscle and lose fat on a caloric deficit, since your body isn't just "catabolic" or "anabolic"; at any time, there are catabolic and anabolic processes taking place. I'm trying to find a link for this and I remember there being a write-up about it on Strengtheory.com, but Brad Schoenfield conducted multiple studies that showed that if you lose less than 0.7% of your bodyweight per week, you can actually gain muscle while burning fat at the same time. Muscle retention takes place up to losing, I believe, 1.3% of your bodyweight per week (but I might be off by a decimal or two).
    Last edited by Derange At 170; 12-28-2015 at 08:48 AM.


     
Page 77 of 91 FirstFirst ... 27 67 75 76 77 78 79 87 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Freaks and Geeks
    By Kilgore Trout in forum Guess the type
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-19-2016, 01:38 PM
  2. [INFP] Freaks me out!
    By majestic beauty in forum INFP Forum - The Idealists
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-26-2014, 12:31 AM
  3. [INFP] Freaks and Geeks fans?
    By Calvaire in forum INFP Forum - The Idealists
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-04-2010, 11:31 AM
  4. Freaks and Geeks
    By Schwarz in forum Guess the type
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-03-2008, 05:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:02 AM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
© 2014 PersonalityCafe
 

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0