Ask: The Forum's Fitness Freaks! - Page 89

Ask: The Forum's Fitness Freaks!

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 89 of 91 FirstFirst ... 39 79 87 88 89 90 91 LastLast
Results 881 to 890 of 905
Thank Tree604Thanks

This is a discussion on Ask: The Forum's Fitness Freaks! within the Health and Fitness forums, part of the Topics of Interest category; Originally Posted by birdsintrees Lower back strength. I see. And why would one want more lower back strength?...

  1. #881

    Quote Originally Posted by birdsintrees View Post
    Lower back strength.
    I see. And why would one want more lower back strength?

  2. #882

    Quote Originally Posted by soop View Post
    It depends. I do it because its a competition lift. Other people do it to strengthen the posterior chain. It hits almost every muscle group in the body, and because it's a full body lift that hits all the muscles in the body, you can go much Much MUCH heavier than on exercises targeted at a single body part which allows you to overload muscles and create a greater training stimulus.
    I see. So overloading the lower body is the main benefit of dead lifts? Because in terms of total body, I've always thought power cleans are a better lift.

  3. #883

    Quote Originally Posted by Scoobyscoob View Post
    I see. So overloading the lower body is the main benefit of dead lifts? Because in terms of total body, I've always thought power cleans are a better lift.
    Power cleans are more of a technique based thing, and you can't go quite as heavy. Deadlifts work almost every muscle. You probably won't ever be able to power clean much more than 315 but you could potentially be able to deadlift 6 to 700 lbs. Additionally, power cleans do more for explosive ability and athleticism, deadlifts are more of a strength hypertrophy exercise.
    Scoobyscoob thanked this post.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PersonalityCafe.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #884

    Quote Originally Posted by soop View Post
    Power cleans are more of a technique based thing, and you can't go quite as heavy. Deadlifts work almost every muscle. You probably won't ever be able to power clean much more than 315 but you could potentially be able to deadlift 6 to 700 lbs. Additionally, power cleans do more for explosive ability and athleticism, deadlifts are more of a strength hypertrophy exercise.
    Hm, I see. My body is mostly fast twitch muscle so I guess I see packing on slow twitch muscle as being counter-productive. If you move furniture for a living then I can see dead lifts having value. Plus I guess it looks more impressive, even though it's not as mentally difficult as doing cleans.

    There's also the pressure on the knees that I'd be worried about. You have to take care of those into your elderly years. :\

  6. #885

    Quote Originally Posted by Scoobyscoob View Post
    I see. And why would one want more lower back strength?
    Part of strong core muscles. Protects the spine. Reduces back ache. Good for your posture.
    Scoobyscoob thanked this post.

  7. #886

    Quote Originally Posted by birdsintrees View Post
    Part of strong core muscles. Protects the spine. Reduces back ache. Good for your posture.
    I see. Well those are all fine reasons. I guess I'm just biased, plus I think that the hip is the least worked out part of the body, which power cleans work out very well.

  8. #887

    Quote Originally Posted by Scoobyscoob View Post
    Hm, I see. My body is mostly fast twitch muscle so I guess I see packing on slow twitch muscle as being counter-productive. If you move furniture for a living then I can see dead lifts having value. Plus I guess it looks more impressive, even though it's not as mentally difficult as doing cleans.

    There's also the pressure on the knees that I'd be worried about. You have to take care of those into your elderly years. :\
    Cleans will probably put more pressure on your knees than deadlifts, particularly squat cleans.
    birdsintrees thanked this post.

  9. #888

    Quote Originally Posted by soop View Post
    Cleans will probably put more pressure on your knees than deadlifts, particularly squat cleans.
    I disagree, not because of the technique but due to the amount of weight involved. Most people can deadlift 2-3 times what they can clean, so it's not as much of an issue on the knees. I used to deadlift well over 400 pounds but I stopped because I could feel the pressure on my knees and I could feel my joints being compacted. I think power cleans can aggravate an existing knee problem, but likely won't create knee problems on its own. Also, I've never seen anyone outside of the Olympics do squat cleans. Regular power cleans work out the desired areas just fine. Squat cleans are to go for maximum weight.

    I'm not trying to scare you or anything because if you have the joint strength for deadlifting 500lbs+ then you'll probably be fine, but I do think that a life time of deadlifts and full squats will eventually take its toll on the knees. And your knees are very important for mobility.

  10. #889

    Distance or speed?

    I can walk 4-5 miles at a 15:30 pace for each mile and be exhausted with leg pain, or 10 miles at a 17 minute pace and feel totally fine.

    Which would make me burn more calories and keep me in better shape?

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  11. #890

    First time marathon training. Currently upto 13 mile long runs with one rest day / week. Weekly miles = 40. Towards the ends of long-run, there's some joint pain and the pace definitely drops. Is this typical and how do I improve the long-run mileage to the upper teens?
    birdsintrees thanked this post.


     
Page 89 of 91 FirstFirst ... 39 79 87 88 89 90 91 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Freaks and Geeks
    By Kilgore Trout in forum Guess the type
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-19-2016, 12:38 PM
  2. [INFP] Freaks me out!
    By majestic beauty in forum INFP Forum - The Idealists
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-25-2014, 11:31 PM
  3. [INFP] Freaks and Geeks fans?
    By Calvaire in forum INFP Forum - The Idealists
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-04-2010, 10:31 AM
  4. Freaks and Geeks
    By Schwarz in forum Guess the type
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-03-2008, 04:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:51 AM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
© 2014 PersonalityCafe
 

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0