[INFP] Regional Foods Duel

Regional Foods Duel

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 59
Thank Tree107Thanks

This is a discussion on Regional Foods Duel within the INFP Forum - The Idealists forums, part of the NF's Temperament Forum- The Dreamers category; ...

  1. #1

    Regional Foods Duel

    So, our Canadian friends think they have all the best foods in the world, I must admit to being more that a tad skeptical. What foods from your region are incredible, mind blowingly, toe curlingly, near religious experiences. Bonus points if not widely known. The only rule I can think of is they must be connected in some way to your region, for instance there may be amazing lasagna in your region, but if that region isn't Italy there has to be something which uniquely ties it to your region.

    In the southeast U.S food is a big part of cultural identity, and we have a fairly distinct diet from the rest of the U.S incorporating a number of foods not widely used or appreciated elsewhere. For this first offering I'll go with what is a basic staple in many southern households, grits.

    Grits is a food made from a dish of boiled cornmeal. Hominy grits are a type of grits made from hominy – corn that has been treated with an alkali in a process called nixtamalization with the pericarp removed. Grits are often served with other flavorings[1] as a breakfast dish, usually savory. The dish originated in the Southern United States but now is available nationwide, and is popular as the dinner entrée shrimp and grits, served primarily in the South. Grits should not be confused with boiled ground corn, which makes "hasty pudding" or "mush" or may be made into polenta using coarse ground corn, or with the "mush" made from more finely ground corn meal.

    Often disdained and even mocked by people from elsewhere, this unassuming has an amazing culinary flexibility. Many people from elsewhere have tried grits and found them unpleasant, but when asked "what did you flavor them with?" they answer nothing. This is much like trying plain pasta, then deciding that all pasta dishes must suck. Grits MUST be flavored, salt being the most common "must add" ingredient, butter, cheese, pepper, jalapenos, bacon bits or crumbled sausage, and even gravy are pretty common. Some poor benighted souls even add sugar or other sweeteners, though this is widely seen as a minor form of insanity by the rest of the south. Though there are a great many ways to prepare them one very popular method is the above mentioned shrimp and grits, which again has a wide degree of variety.

    The following is my basic recipe, though rarely followed to the letter it is a solid basis for experimentation.

    Ingredients:
    3 cups of broth or stock, tomato shrimp broth works but can be a tad overpowering so I usually go with chicken stock.
    1 cup of grits, some use quick or instant grits, but the slow simmered grits work best imo.
    about a half teaspoon of salt, seasalt is my preferred.
    1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
    2 tablespoon of butter
    1 cup of grated sharp cheddar, 1/2 cup each of grated pepper jack, smoky gouda, and havarti
    6 slices of thick cut bacon, peppered not maple
    2 lbs of peeled and deveined med or larger shrimp
    1 tablespoon of lemon juice
    a couple of tablespoons of worcestershire sauce
    some chopped fresh parsley and dill
    half a small onion finely chopped,
    several chopped green onions
    a couple of cloves of minced garlic
    a pinch of cayenne pepper


    cook the grits in the broth as directed until done
    stir in salt, pepper,butter and cheese, cover and keep warm
    cook bacon in a skillet until crisp, set aside
    cook shrimp in same skillet until slightly pink,, about 3 minutes on med-hi heat usually
    chop bacon while shrimp cooks
    stir into skillet lemon juice, W sauce,parsley, dill, garlic, cayenne pepper and onions
    cook 3ish minutes, then add chopped bacon

    spoon grits onto plates or shallow bowls and top with shrimp mixture




    Some successful variations have included adding andouille sausage, fish (though this is touchy, may have to experiment with cooking times depending on type or cut of fish), diced tomatoes, jalapenos, variations with the cheeses. It's a wide pallet, throw some color on it.
    angelfish, GusWriter, WickerDeer and 8 others thanked this post.



  2. #2

    I was just about to stomp in here and yell about Southern food, I should've known one of us would've made this thread to start.

    My father used to eat grits with grape jelly [shudder]. I'll eat them for breakfast with eggs and sausage [just some salt and butter], or for dinner with shrimp or salmon croquettes.

    My friend calls me 'real country' because I enjoy a good cup of pig souse [pig ears], and pickled eggs!

    Also can't go wrong with seafood gumbo and jambalaya.

  3. #3

    Hmmm being a Canadian I’d have to disagree, Italians have the best food in the world :P

    As for regional food... I don’t know of any from my particular region off hand. I live in the prairies of Canada, so because of the history of indigenous and metis people, and the free plots of land given away in the 1800s that drew every kind of European here, and Canada’s modern immigration and multiculturalism, the closest thing to regional cuisine in my area is just different kinds of food from all over the place. For some reason bannock and chili is a really common combination people like, which is really good. You don’t eat the chili on the bannock (at least that I’ve seen, lol) but they do go together really well.

    Oh, also cottage cheese perogies with cream sauce. It’s a mennonite thing but there’s so many mennonites here it may as well be regional at this point, lol. I don’t know the recipe unfortunately.
    GusWriter, WickerDeer, Turlowe and 1 others thanked this post.

  4. #4

    Quote Originally Posted by neutralchaotic View Post
    I was just about to stomp in here and yell about Southern food, I should've known one of us would've made this thread to start.

    My father used to eat grits with grape jelly [shudder]. I'll eat them for breakfast with eggs and sausage [just some salt and butter], or for dinner with shrimp or salmon croquettes.

    My friend calls me 'real country' because I enjoy a good cup of pig souse [pig ears], and pickled eggs!

    Also can't go wrong with seafood gumbo and jambalaya.
    That is indeed real country, I'm more of a city boy, but I have to say some of the best food I've ever eaten was when I spent parts of my summers as a kid helping out on a farm in southern Alabama, granny Gardener would have a breakfast spread ready at dawn that was truly mindblowing. Nothing like that smoked ham, sliced fresh tomatoes fresh out of the field, eggs straight from the coop, and biscuits you'd knock over a kindergarden class to get to.

    Also, yeah it's hard to top those cajuns in a food fight, gator tail soup is another incredible dish from there. I do a pretty badass jambalaya but I doubt it holds a candle to theirs.
    neutralchaotic thanked this post.

  5. #5

    Quote Originally Posted by threeblacksevens View Post
    Hmmm being a Canadian I’d have to disagree, Italians have the best food in the world :P

    As for regional food... I don’t know of any from my particular region off hand. I live in the prairies of Canada, so because of the history of indigenous and metis people, and the free plots of land given away in the 1800s that drew every kind of European here, and Canada’s modern immigration and multiculturalism, the closest thing to regional cuisine in my area is just different kinds of food from all over the place. For some reason bannock and chili is a really common combination people like, which is really good. You don’t eat the chili on the bannock (at least that I’ve seen, lol) but they do go together really well.

    Oh, also cottage cheese perogies with cream sauce. It’s a mennonite thing but there’s so many mennonites here it may as well be regional at this point, lol. I don’t know the recipe unfortunately.
    Sadly my experiences with italian food in Italy was a bit disappointing, but italian food in general is awesome. I suspect my experiences were an abberation. I never tried chili in Canada and I don't think I've ever had bannock bread, we do something similar but with corn bread. Those perogies do sound interesting though, will have to see if I can find a recipe for them.

  6. #6

    Hehe I do love how accepting a challenge that Canadians have wicked good food over Southeast U.S.A. food makes me believe we have better food than the world. Does that mean you consider yourself the world? ;)

    Anyway, I’m about to go in for an appointment but I shall be back! Muhahahaha
    Turlowe, Turlowe and neutralchaotic thanked this post.

  7. #7

    Quote Originally Posted by Turlowe View Post
    That is indeed real country, I'm more of a city boy, but I have to say some of the best food I've ever eaten was when I spent parts of my summers as a kid helping out on a farm in southern Alabama, granny Gardener would have a breakfast spread ready at dawn that was truly mindblowing. Nothing like that smoked ham, sliced fresh tomatoes fresh out of the field, eggs straight from the coop, and biscuits you'd knock over a kindergarden class to get to.

    Also, yeah it's hard to top those cajuns in a food fight, gator tail soup is another incredible dish from there. I do a pretty badass jambalaya but I doubt it holds a candle to theirs.
    An amen to that!
    Turlowe thanked this post.

  8. #8
    Unknown

    Three out of four cities I lived in have a traditional pastry, which originated in this particulary city and is only available in the near surronding.

    I moved to Hamburg, Germany some years ago although this city is to big for my favor. But they have this delicious pastry called "Franzbrötchen" (roughly translated "Franz buns"), which is basically puff pastry with LOTS of sugar, butter and cinammon. I love it.

    In Leipzig, Saxony they sell "Lerchen" (like the bird, lark), but I never tried them. (Didn't look that good to me)

    And in Reutlingen, Baden-Württemberg they have Mutscheln (no translation here, it's a proper name). Mutscheln are made of yeast dough, pretty simple but tasty. They are sold on only one day in the year, the "Mutschel Day", where people play dice games and the one who wins gets the biggest Mutschel. They have sizes between 20cm and ~50cm (8"-20"). Most of the times people eat it with butter or sweet bread spread like jam or Nutella.

    Sadly I can't post any images yet, so you have to search them on Google if you want to have an impression.
    (I don't even know if you wanted some german bakery input here, I just love Franzbrötchen so much I have to tell everyone about them )
    Turlowe thanked this post.

  9. #9
    INFP

    The region I live in is East Coast Seaboard. We make the best crab cakes and fried chicken and Thrasher’s French Fries or boardwalk fries, fried in peanut oil, soaked first, then fried twice. Chicken and dumplings and crab imperial are so good. Corn pone, wet, not dry, can’t be beat. Grits, I’m embarrassed to say what size bag I buy. Okay. 25 lbs of yellow grits, not white. Clams and fish and oysters are all to be found and are cooked so good. Peaches and blueberries so local to us. Tons of strawberries coming in soon and the best sweet corn locally.

    EDIT: how in God's name could I ever forget Scrapple? Lovely, mysterious meat, greasy, crispy scrapple.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple
    Last edited by Sily; 05-07-2019 at 11:56 AM.
    Turlowe and neutralchaotic thanked this post.

  10. #10

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet but Psycho View Post
    Hehe I do love how accepting a challenge that Canadians have wicked good food over Southeast U.S.A. food makes me believe we have better food than the world. Does that mean you consider yourself the world? ;)

    Anyway, I’m about to go in for an appointment but I shall be back! Muhahahaha
    Actually the person I was responding to in the toughness thread made the claim that Canada has the best food in the world. Undoubtedly just smack talk, but I always enjoy learning about new cuisine so I was interested upon what such a claim could be based.

    And no I don't consider myself too be the world, in fact I've been losing weight. But I don't have to be, if we can meet your challenge then claim is disproven and the rest of the world can sleep at night. That's right, I will save the world from from Canadian culinary aggression! Or maybe not, we'll see. Bring it snowbird, I've got lots of ammo. ; )


     
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [INTP] Accents and regional expressions
    By Nordom in forum INTP Forum - The Thinkers
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-09-2017, 11:41 AM
  2. foods you hate, and weird foods you love
    By dragthewaters in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-07-2016, 08:34 AM
  3. Age Group And Regional Accents
    By Lady O.W. Bro in forum Member Polls
    Replies: 95
    Last Post: 02-15-2014, 05:04 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:55 AM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
© 2014 PersonalityCafe
 

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0