[INFP] How do you cope with people who talk down to you?

How do you cope with people who talk down to you?

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
Thank Tree26Thanks

This is a discussion on How do you cope with people who talk down to you? within the INFP Forum - The Idealists forums, part of the NF's Temperament Forum- The Dreamers category; It seems natural that this happens to me a lot, since I seem all spacey and make a lot of ...

  1. #1
    INFP - The Idealists

    How do you cope with people who talk down to you?

    It seems natural that this happens to me a lot, since I seem all spacey and make a lot of mistakes (i.e. putting my shirt on backwards and not noticing until someone tells me, wearing 2 different socks that I put on early in the morning in the dark). Somehow this translates to others as weakness and low intelligence. Does anyone else experience this? Especially at the workplace, where you can't escape uncomfortable situations and/or people who belittle you?



  2. #2
    INFP - The Idealists

    I try to avoid them, but if I can't, I try to make sure they see evidence that I am, in fact, intelligent and creative, and that being out of touch with physical reality doesn't make me inferior, because I am in touch with other things that they can't even imagine.
    Absent-minded professor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Absent Minded Professor - Television Tropes & Idioms




  3. #3
    INFP - The Idealists

    Be less nice. More guarded, secretive and stoic. For some reason people feel free to criticize 'nice' folk -- especially if those folk criticize themselves or are open to improvement and/or admit a mistake.

    If they criticize you, criticize them. That'll shut 'em up fairly quickly, though that's hard for INFP's to do. At the very least uncomfortable and exhausting, still it's necessary.
    alaska, Luke, Cheazy and 4 others thanked this post.

  4. #4
    Unknown Personality

    It depends.... If they talk down to me and they're right about something, I acknowledge it but tell them to talk to me more respectfully or at least indicate it.

    If they persist or act asshole-ish about it, I play some games until they feel mindfucked.
    Starfish and ForsakenMe thanked this post.

  5. #5
    ESFJ - The Caregivers

    Quote Originally Posted by amanda32 View Post
    Be less nice. More guarded, secretive and stoic. For some reason people feel free to criticize 'nice' folk -- especially if those folk criticize themselves or are open to improvement and/or admit a mistake.
    The problem with doing this is that you will end up becoming the person that you don't like. One of the things that gives me self-esteem is knowing that I am accepting of my mistakes and not ashamed of them and that I treat other people similarly. This is like an antidote to the widespread depression that plagues western society.

    Healthy INFPs are self-revealing (to an extent of course) and that is part of our charm. People who act like the big expert on whatever they do are extremely annoying and their insecurities do surface, usually in the form of projection and criticism. No way am I going to mimic that dysfunctional behavior.


    Society favors left brained thinking and us INFPs are maybe one of the most right brained types out there. Others do think we need to improve and this is very hurtful, annoying and frustrating. My response these days is to show that I like myself and my traits and I hint that I would never in a million years want to be like them...This annoys them more than ever!
    loscann, snail, Luke and 1 others thanked this post.

  6. #6
    INFP - The Idealists

    Wow---thanks so much for the replies, this gives me a lot of food for thought, because it is a daily situation at work (the library). I do swivel between what amanda32 suggested and what connieculkins said---2 opposite ends of the spectrum in handling the situation, but I see the strengths of both approaches. Also, seeing all of your replies to my thread makes me feel more confident already! It's SO good to know I'm in good company here, and not the only one who experiences this. And btw snail, the snail is one of my favorite animals. I love the snaily picture----I keep apple snails as pets.
    Luke thanked this post.

  7. #7
    INFP - The Idealists

    How cool, I used to work in libraries to! You're the second INFP Ive met here who is a librarian.
    Starfish thanked this post.

  8. #8
    INFP - The Idealists

    Yeah, it is total Nerdville there. It is awesome!
    Luke thanked this post.

  9. #9
    INFP - The Idealists

    Quote Originally Posted by connieculkins View Post
    The problem with doing this is that you will end up becoming the person that you don't like. One of the things that gives me self-esteem is knowing that I am accepting of my mistakes and not ashamed of them and that I treat other people similarly. This is like an antidote to the widespread depression that plagues western society.

    Healthy INFPs are self-revealing (to an extent of course) and that is part of our charm. People who act like the big expert on whatever they do are extremely annoying and their insecurities do surface, usually in the form of projection and criticism. No way am I going to mimic that dysfunctional behavior.


    Society favors left brained thinking and us INFPs are maybe one of the most right brained types out there. Others do think we need to improve and this is very hurtful, annoying and frustrating. My response these days is to show that I like myself and my traits and I hint that I would never in a million years want to be like them...This annoys them more than ever!
    Hm...there are, unfortunately types of people you cannot escape from, that you are forced to 'deal' with. If they are exceptionally rude, I have found that the only solution is to give it back to them -- granted in a far more cultured way than they have.

    Usually, I've found that those so easy to dish it out really cannot take it. Especially from the likes of an INFP, who can see right through them but who is normally far too polite to point out their flaws.

    I don't think it's "sinking to their level" to give what you get. On the contrary, it may be the one way such people will begin to respect you.

  10. #10
    ESFJ - The Caregivers

    Quote Originally Posted by amanda32 View Post
    Hm...there are, unfortunately types of people you cannot escape from, that you are forced to 'deal' with. If they are exceptionally rude, I have found that the only solution is to give it back to them -- granted in a far more cultured way than they have.
    Well, I do think this is what they deserve for their behavior...and I also believe that bullies only respond to being bullied back. I think just as INFPs are sensitive these people are insensitive and need to be treated accordingly.

    Usually, I've found that those so easy to dish it out really cannot take it. Especially from the likes of an INFP, who can see right through them but who is normally far too polite to point out their flaws.

    I don't think it's "sinking to their level" to give what you get. On the contrary, it may be the one way such people will begin to respect you.
    I guess all INFPs are slightly different because for whatever reason the above advice has never worked for me. Instead of respect, giving it back to them just causes an all out power struggle where they try to maintain dominance and war ensues. Then I don't know what kind of one-sided account they give their friends, but the friends will end up giving me the cold shoulder as well.


     
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [ENTP] ENTPs, what do you think of people who talk during movies/ tv shows?
    By pliqht in forum ENTP Forum- The Visionaries
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 08-15-2013, 11:17 AM
  2. [INTP] What do you do when people are boring you with their talk?
    By calysco in forum INTP Forum - The Thinkers
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 06-05-2013, 02:00 PM
  3. [Enneagram Type 9] How do you cope with 8s?
    By lauradee in forum Type 9 Forum - The Peacemaker
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-29-2010, 10:54 PM
  4. What do you do to cope with depression....
    By Linnifae in forum Myers Briggs Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-11-2010, 07:23 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:26 AM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
© 2014 PersonalityCafe
 

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0