[INFP] The Weird INFP

The Weird INFP

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30
Thank Tree70Thanks

This is a discussion on The Weird INFP within the INFP Forum - The Idealists forums, part of the NF's Temperament Forum- The Dreamers category; So I've been visiting this forum for a few weeks, and at first I thought "Wow, there's actually other people ...

  1. #1
    INFP - The Idealists

    The Weird INFP

    So I've been visiting this forum for a few weeks, and at first I thought "Wow, there's actually other people like me." But as I've continued to come to the forum, I've noticed that there tends to be quite a bit of difference in me and other people on this forum. I don't like anime. I can connect quite deeply with troubled people on an individual basis, but I don't feel a great emotional pull to "groups" of discouraged people. I've become quite bitter towards the lower class, whereas I used to be sympathetic. (I worked in grocery stores for 6 years and saw public welfare systems greatly abused, I think this led to my lack of sympathy) If something's on my mind, I will resort to a more relaxed dress code. I tend to find myself wearing a t-shirt and jeans everyday during these times, but most of the time I dress up for no reason because I want to present a positive self-image. I've succeeded in business, being promoted as far as I can go in every position I've ever held, despite my lack of concern for "the bottom dollar". I guess the most important one of these is my inability to feel empathy for "groups". I've pondered whether it's more of a self-defense mechanism because if I did allow myself to, it would be too overwhelming. Either way, even among INFPs I still feel like the odd one out. Like I'm missing attributes that everyone else seems to possess.
    refugee, Lad, cricket and 9 others thanked this post.



  2. #2
    INFP - The Idealists

    I always feel like the odd one out. I can feel alone even with friends. Maybe it's just an infp thing where we always feel like an oddball.

  3. #3
    INFP - The Idealists

    Quote Originally Posted by www589 View Post
    So I've been visiting this forum for a few weeks, and at first I thought "Wow, there's actually other people like me." But as I've continued to come to the forum, I've noticed that there tends to be quite a bit of difference in me and other people on this forum.
    Such is life and such are people. I actually quite appreciate the diversity, and pattern-spotting to find the similarities that connect them.

    Quote Originally Posted by www589
    I don't like anime.
    Heathen!

    Quote Originally Posted by www589
    I can connect quite deeply with troubled people on an individual basis, but I don't feel a great emotional pull to "groups" of discouraged people.
    You know, if I'm being honest, I quite relate to this as well. But that is likely more due to the fact that, as much as possible, I try to avoid thinking in terms of groups. But while I can be sympathetic towards groups on principle, I only generally tend to feel true empathy for individuals on an individual basis.

    Quote Originally Posted by www589
    I've become quite bitter towards the lower class, whereas I used to be sympathetic.
    I would be considered working class myself, but I don't relate to the vast and overwhelming majority of people deemed to be 'lower class' (and they probably wouldn't want me either). I'm currently on benefits, but I'm not happy about it. Truthfully there is not much work I wouldn't want to do, with the exception of mindless manual labour, but there are certain kinds of people I could do without dealing with. Plus I'd, y'know, actually like to do something relevant.

    Quote Originally Posted by www589
    If something's on my mind, I will resort to a more relaxed dress code. I tend to find myself wearing a t-shirt and jeans everyday during these times, but most of the time I dress up for no reason because I want to present a positive self-image.
    Yeah, that's a good attitude. I don't pay much attention to my appearance save for grooming because I don't have much cause to. One of these days though I'm going to treat myself to a decent wardrobe. There always just seems to be more important things to spend money on.

    Quote Originally Posted by www589
    I've succeeded in business, being promoted as far as I can go in every position I've ever held, despite my lack of concern for "the bottom dollar".
    Well, that's great! It shows one can be rewarded for their prowess and expertise without factoring in greed and the lust for power. No?

    Quote Originally Posted by www589
    Either way, even among INFPs I still feel like the odd one out. Like I'm missing attributes that everyone else seems to possess.
    Everyone is their own person, and as much as you may lack some of the traits you claim to, you make up for with strengths I and others don't have. Without going into detail, though, I understand how you feel, because I have wondered about that myself at times. But from my perspective, I don't see much in your post that comes off as negative...? With the possible exception of your bitterness towards the lower classes, which I am sure in your case is justified. I am quite jaded as well, but do not like to judge and take no comfort in criticising others so as long as they have no problem with me, nor do I them. (That said, I also don't like people who wilfully abuse Government support systems - but a lot of racists say the same thing, so.)
    Lad, lynnemeerkat, Cable and 3 others thanked this post.

  4. #4
    INFP - The Idealists

    Nothing wrong with weird, can it get any stranger than me? Furthermore, I see nothing wrong at all; you are so lucky about getting all the positions you can at your job! :) Well, not lucky, SKILLED.

    We just are so diverse, and are always developing ourselves! I believe it's actually normal to care for individuals you care for rather than groups, unless a group becomes your cause. Also, the dressing up thing is not strange. Some INFPs never will, some express themselves through their style (my case.) I started like you, just wanting to have a healthy self image, and ended up developing my own "persona", that I feel truthfully represents who I am. Still a work in progress, though. I was also wondering something similar, especially since my music taste is so not standard, and many INFPs don't think about image the way I do (and THAT'S FINE.) But also realize that we walk different paths, and we are always "rediscovering" ourselves. It's a life journey! Finally, despite our diversity, INFPs tend to have similar thinking processes among themselves. And we grow and change: I used to wear the boots many here are wearing, but now they don't fit me any longer, so I had to get another pair that better represents my current reality. Fulfilment through development.

    I see nothing odd, the more unique, the better, IMHO! Be proud of what sets you apart.
    yoyocita thanked this post.

  5. #5

    Quote Originally Posted by www589 View Post
    So I've been visiting this forum for a few weeks, and at first I thought "Wow, there's actually other people like me." But as I've continued to come to the forum, I've noticed that there tends to be quite a bit of difference in me and other people on this forum.
    This forum is populated mainly by people in their teens & early 20s, so if you're out of that range, you may not relate to as many people here. If you're in that range & still don't, it could be cultural or other differences which affect personality. MBTI basically types your mindset, which is only one factor of personality.

    I don't like anime.
    Neither do I. To a degree, this seems generational though. Taste isn't correlated to type very well anyway. I share taste in music or films with people of other types all the time. Again, culture, age, etc, affects this aspect.

    I can connect quite deeply with troubled people on an individual basis, but I don't feel a great emotional pull to "groups" of discouraged people.
    It's actually common for Fi types to focus on individuals over groups.
    When I hear people around here talk about empathy for a group, it's more of a general idea of individuals who are disadvantaged in some way (ie. the underdog), not a literal group.

    I've become quite bitter towards the lower class, whereas I used to be sympathetic. (I worked in grocery stores for 6 years and saw public welfare systems greatly abused, I think this led to my lack of sympathy)
    I'm just curious how you knew it was being abused? I mean, if someone is dressed nicely & on food stamps, how do you know those clothes were not bought in a period of financial security, but now they have no income? I've heard people make these comments before, and unless you know a great deal about an individual, such judgments seem unfair. My knowledge of the system has led me to believe that it is actually quite difficult to abuse it, and very easy to lose the aid.
    /tangent
    yourstruly, GraphicallyAlex, chookie and 3 others thanked this post.

  6. #6
    INFP - The Idealists

    [QUOTE/]I'm just curious how you knew it was being abused? I mean, if someone is dressed nicely & on food stamps, how do you know those clothes were not bought in a period of financial security, but now they have no income? I've heard people make these comments before, and unless you know a great deal about an individual, such judgments seem unfair. My knowledge of the system has led me to believe that it is actually quite difficult to abuse it, and very easy to lose the aid.
    /tangent[/QUOTE]

    In general when I speak of abuses of welfare systems, I'm referring to the many people who I've seen high on drugs while cashing their SOCSEC check or using their EBT cards. I've also known a few individuals who have admitted to having more children in order to increase their benefits. I've also seen people drive Cadillac Escalades and use their EBT cards, however I do not think too much about them because I know that this could have very well not been theirs, or bought in a better economic time. The system is in fact very hard to cheat, I believe it's around 2% of the users are found to be in fact abusing it. I also admit that I may have prejudiced based on my own personal value system, where I believe every one should work for what they want, stopping at nothing to get it. When I say that, I'm not referring to the typical welfare beneficiary, but the individuals who I have come across who did not pursue an education, refuse to present themselves in a respectable manner in order to get a job, and do not actively seem to be putting in effort to better themselves.

  7. #7
    INFP - The Idealists

    I couldn't imagine how dull and colorless life would be if it all depended on what Personality Type you were. You'd see people carrying around signs to showcase their personality to the world and voila, you'd know everything about any person without even saying a word. I don't think that the MBTI does justice to our multiple dimensions.. maybe it says you're green, but you're really jade. That's why I think no two people in this world are exactly the same, not even in this INFP forum.
    cricket, brady, lynnemeerkat and 2 others thanked this post.

  8. #8
    INFP - The Idealists

    No, actually, you sound a lot like me. Are you leaning towards "t"? I'm right between, I guess it make for a little less empathy and a little more critical thinking. Also i have no idea what it is but the dressing thing is so accurate. Whenever my mind is somewhere else completely, I stop caring about my looks, but most of the time I do try. I've never heard someone say that before but it's very accurate.

  9. #9
    INFP - The Idealists

    Quote Originally Posted by www589 View Post
    I've become quite bitter towards the lower class, whereas I used to be sympathetic. (I worked in grocery stores for 6 years and saw public welfare systems greatly abused, I think this led to my lack of sympathy)
    I'm a capitalistic INFP, so I feel you there. I know people on welfare you have can afford more than my whole working family can. Nicer houses, cars, computers, drugs, all paid for by the government.
    brady thanked this post.

  10. #10
    INFJ

    I'm glad you feel like the odd-man out.
    It means you have something to teach us, but also something to learn from us as well. Reciprocal relationships are always the best.

    My advice? Be yourself and share whatever is on your mind. It's really easy to fall into line and worry about stepping on toes around here -- sadly, this can make things bland.
    krentz, refugee, PrinceinExile and 5 others thanked this post.


     
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [INFP] What do you think makes you a ''weird'' INFP?
    By Raichan in forum INFP Forum - The Idealists
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-03-2018, 09:09 AM
  2. [INFP] So.... are INFP's just straight up weird?
    By cnote in forum INFP Forum - The Idealists
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 09-17-2010, 10:33 AM
  3. [INFP] INFP Weird Childhood Fears
    By Apples in forum INFP Forum - The Idealists
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 08-17-2010, 12:10 PM
  4. [INFP] Weird infp sense of humor?
    By Rusalka in forum INFP Forum - The Idealists
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-03-2010, 09:36 PM
  5. That weird little INFP.
    By Baracudaboy in forum Intro
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-27-2010, 01:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:26 AM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
© 2014 PersonalityCafe
 

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0