[INTJ] Alone time: Need or Desire?

Alone time: Need or Desire?

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 134
Thank Tree173Thanks

This is a discussion on Alone time: Need or Desire? within the INTJ Forum - The Scientists forums, part of the NT's Temperament Forum- The Intellects category; It's taken me a very long time to conclude about my need for alone time. Before I just used to ...

  1. #1

    Alone time: Need or Desire?

    It's taken me a very long time to conclude about my need for alone time. Before I just used to break through a barrier and wear myself down by ignoring the need to be able to recuperate. I know that this (alone time) is a binding trait felt by most INTJs (if not all).

    I always thought it was a selfish desire rather than a need, but when I look back at patterns and mistakes it seems that they all hinge on my limited extroversion being "used up" like it were a precious and rare commodity. It's definitely a "need" not a "desire " for an abundance of reasons for me.

    Any one of the same opinion?
    Linesky, InvisibleJim, Grey and 22 others thanked this post.



  2. #2
    INTJ - The Scientists

    It's a need for me.

    I think it's because Ni constantly gathers a great deal of information, and then Te is waiting in line to have the chance to sort it through, followed by Fi waiting to stamp it with the 'right' or 'wrong' value labels.

    I think constantly exposing ourselves to situations, facts, etc., and not having alone time to sort out all that stuff and recharge is repressing our nature greatly.

    So yes, I see it as a NEED.

  3. #3
    INTJ - The Scientists

    I find the more I resist the 'alone time' urge, the stronger it becomes. It is a beast that requires near constant tribute.
    Grey, Solace, beth x and 9 others thanked this post.

  4. #4
    INTJ - The Scientists

    It's a need. If I don't get my alone time...well, it's not pretty.
    Grey, beth x, Luciano and 5 others thanked this post.

  5. #5
    INTJ - The Scientists

    The definition of "i" types is that they need alone time to recharge. This runs somewhat counter to the fact that humans are a very social species. I think there is a reason that "I" types have not been weeded out through evolution and you should not be ashamed of the need for some time alone.

    Personally, I find that that interacting on an "NT" level with others can be be energizing, but it takes the right people and the right subject. Otherwise, solo introspection is a great way to recharge the batteries to deal with a mostly SJ world.
    Grey, SilverScorpio17, Turututu and 8 others thanked this post.

  6. #6

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgar View Post
    The definition of "i" types is that they need alone time to recharge. This runs somewhat counter to the fact that humans are a very social species. I think there is a reason that "I" types have not been weeded out through evolution and you should not be ashamed of the need for some time alone.

    Personally, I find that that interacting on an "NT" level with others can be be energizing, but it takes the right people and the right subject. Otherwise, solo introspection is a great way to recharge the batteries to deal with a mostly SJ world.

    I will take this one step further and elaborate:

    After studying primal or tribal cultures through from a philosophical perspective: INTs are very important and have always been so. In shamanistic societies the "weirdos" (which are INTs) were picked for their disposition and cognitive abilities were weeded out but they were utilised in these societies to live apart and train in the areas of shamans, druids and witch doctors and a re-integrated, playing a very important role....modern western society is lacking in this protection and cultivation of these sorts of individuals...IMO

    It seems like we are left floundering?
    Grey, mdawn, cdeuterian and 6 others thanked this post.

  7. #7
    INTJ - The Scientists

    So, is the energy expended by the introvert because she has a limited supply of power available to social situations, or is it because the introvert has overactive mental stimulation, and gets more out of less stimulation? I have heard both theories, and have never managed to conclude which way it goes for me. In any case, with not enough time to go away and process all of the stimulation in a few hours, or within the day, it has a clear impact on me. The more unfettered stimulation, the more I "crash" at the end. I have many examples of being at the whim of other people, and when I lose that alone time to process everything or release the built up energy, I become a very bitter and unpleasant person to be around. I lose the ability to remain mellow and agreeable, and pretty much just start doing everything I can to fuck them up. I definitely become unhealthy without true alone time.

    It's hard to say what is the difference between a need and a desire. I don't think it's a need in the same sense that food and water are needs. But it may be a need in the sense that sunshine is a need: one can go without sunshine, but without it for a long period of time, it's going to start affecting a person's mental functioning. Sunshine just has some quality that makes us feel better, and so does alone time.
    SilverScorpio17, beth x, mdawn and 2 others thanked this post.

  8. #8
    INTJ - The Scientists

    It's definitely a need.
    Sometimes I'll even purposely fall asleep at 6 or 7pm, and get up at 11pm or so just so I can have the house to myself because everyone else will be sleeping.
    beth x, Snowguard, krviking and 4 others thanked this post.

  9. #9
    Unknown Personality

    Quote Originally Posted by wealldie View Post
    The more unfettered stimulation, the more I "crash" at the end. I have many examples of being at the whim of other people, and when I lose that alone time to process everything or release the built up energy, I become a very bitter and unpleasant person to be around. I lose the ability to remain mellow and agreeable, and pretty much just start doing everything I can to fuck them up. I definitely become unhealthy without true alone time.
    Yeah, I guess I wouldn't say I "need" it, but if you don't want me to be sarcastic, rude, and impatient, then it'd be best I get enough alone time.

    My relatives, who are mostly ESFXs, are always visiting. I can only stand them for an hour tops, and then I start yelling about everything that "isn't right," and get really cranky. At that point, I need some alone time in order to actually get along with people again.
    beth x and Luciano thanked this post.

  10. #10
    INTJ - The Scientists

    Quote Originally Posted by bethdeth View Post
    I will take this one step further and elaborate:

    After studying primal or tribal cultures through from a philosophical perspective: INTs are very important and have always been so. In shamanistic societies the "weirdos" (which are INTs) were picked for their disposition and cognitive abilities were weeded out but they were utilised in these societies to live apart and train in the areas of shamans, druids and witch doctors and a re-integrated, playing a very important role....modern western society is lacking in this protection and cultivation of these sorts of individuals...IMO

    It seems like we are left floundering?
    Actually, per the book "Type Talk at Work," INTJs are about 3 percent of the "entry level" population, and 11.2 percent of the "Upper Management" population in American corporations. For executives, INTJs rise to 15.8 percent. This is the highest rise from the baseline of any type, and is higher than even ENTJs (9.4%). ISTJs and ESTJs are higher still, but they are a much higher percentage of the general population.
    InvisibleJim and beth x thanked this post.


     
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is it better to work part time and go to school or be a full time student?
    By Count Dusseldorf in forum Education & Career Talk
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-02-2019, 07:14 PM
  2. INFJ time for time alone
    By GreenCoyote in forum INFJ Forum - The Protectors
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-01-2014, 07:03 PM
  3. what is your greatest desire?
    By SeekJess in forum General Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-16-2009, 09:53 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:19 AM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
© 2014 PersonalityCafe
 

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0