[INTJ] Selfless Acts - Page 6

Selfless Acts

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 81
Thank Tree118Thanks

This is a discussion on Selfless Acts within the INTJ Forum - The Scientists forums, part of the NT's Temperament Forum- The Intellects category; Originally Posted by Humoriarty Selfish is usually other peoples opinion, I've found. Then define "Selfish" and clarify....

  1. #51
    ENFP - The Inspirers

    Quote Originally Posted by Humoriarty View Post
    Selfish is usually other peoples opinion, I've found.
    Then define "Selfish" and clarify.

  2. #52

    Quote Originally Posted by Alysaria View Post
    Then define "Selfish" and clarify.
    Selfishness is to be only involved with your own interests. Not of others. It's the opposite of selfless....but I'm sure you knew that already.

    Here is an article on Enlightened self interest.

  3. #53
    INTJ - The Scientists

    This is like pissing in the sea and asking if anyone smells ammonia!

  4. #54
    ENFP - The Inspirers

    Quote Originally Posted by bethdeth View Post
    Selfishness is to be only involved with your own interests. Not of others. It's the opposite of selfless....but I'm sure you knew that already.

    Here is an article on Enlightened self interest.
    I can accept that enlightened self interest is culturally beneficial and not the kind of destructiveness of childlike selfishness that one should grow out of as one learns to communicate and socialize. However, to say that *every* action is self motivated I cannot accept.

    Digital altruism and the riddle of anonymous online samaritans | The Digital Altruist

  5. #55
    INTJ - The Scientists

    Quote Originally Posted by Alysaria View Post
    I can accept that enlightened self interest is culturally beneficial and not the kind of destructiveness of childlike selfishness that one should grow out of as one learns to communicate and socialize. However, to say that *every* action is self motivated I cannot accept.

    Digital altruism and the riddle of anonymous online samaritans | The Digital Altruist
    You know I was going to ask... But I really wonder if there's anything you will accept... That's a limitation I guess.

    Sigh.

    Define grow out of?

    It implies grow "into" so into what? Someone ELSE'S predetermined idealistic notion of how to survive this existence?

    How to survive? So that's "make sure you preserve the self"? Isn't it??

    So really it's " here are rules to allow you to perpetuate your interest in self" - self interest.

    Promotion thereof.

  6. #56
    ENFP - The Inspirers

    Quote Originally Posted by Humoriarty View Post
    You know I was going to ask... But I really wonder if there's anything you will accept... That's a limitation I guess.

    Sigh.

    Define grow out of?

    It implies grow "into" so into what? Someone ELSE'S predetermined idealistic notion of how to survive this existence?

    How to survive? So that's "make sure you preserve the self"? Isn't it??

    So really it's " here are rules to allow you to perpetuate your interest in self" - self interest.

    Promotion thereof.
    1. I will accept a hypothesis that has a falsifiable premise. "All men deserve freedom because freedom is deserved by all men" is not a legitimate statement because it doesn't define freedom and it makes the assumption that the claim is reason enough. It may be a true statement, but without stating what it is specifically that is deserved and the reasons why, it's not a very good argument. In fact, it's a rather lazy argument. I asked you what your specific definition of selfishness was, not bethdeth's or a merriam-webster version. Yours. Because this is your argument.

    2. "Grow out of": Most people who do not have severe cognitive disorders reach a point where they don't cry whenever they have to go to the bathroom or want something to eat....or throw themselves on the ground screaming when denied something they want.

  7. #57
    INTJ - The Scientists

    Quote Originally Posted by Humoriarty View Post
    Selfish is usually other peoples opinion, I've found.
    Gold.

    I think, that we all compete for existence, and in the world of ideas too. The extraverted functions and their bearers follow the philosophy of propagation, radiation and the introverted people devour prey and protect themselves from predators. 'Selfish' seems to be a fitting descriptive when you resist to open up for them. I may have called such people selfish too, but it's not in my nature and it would be difficult for them to understand my perspective.
    Humoriarty thanked this post.

  8. #58
    INTJ - The Scientists

    Quote Originally Posted by Alysaria View Post
    1. I will accept a hypothesis that has a falsifiable premise. "All men deserve freedom because freedom is deserved by all men" is not a legitimate statement because it doesn't define freedom and it makes the assumption that the claim is reason enough. It may be a true statement, but without stating what it is specifically that is deserved and the reasons why, it's not a very good argument. In fact, it's a rather lazy argument. I asked you what your specific definition of selfishness was, not bethdeth's or a merriam-webster version. Yours. Because this is your argument.

    2. "Grow out of": Most people who do not have severe cognitive disorders reach a point where they don't cry whenever they have to go to the bathroom or want something to eat....or throw themselves on the ground screaming when denied something they want.
    Freedom is a construct.


    As for your second comment, I'm inclined to say something cutting, but instead will ask... What happens after basic self control?

    Self control would assume knowledge of self. And with that WHAT the self wants, needs, and how to communicate that, either by vocal communication or by the playing of manipulation "games" ... Ie direct and indirect communication, serving the self interest of the being.

    When do you desire the penny to drop?

  9. #59
    INTJ - The Scientists

    Quote Originally Posted by Faklubrejle View Post
    Gold.

    I think, that we all compete for existence, and in the world of ideas too. The extraverted functions and their bearers follow the philosophy of propagation, radiation and the introverted people devour prey and protect themselves from predators. 'Selfish' seems to be a fitting descriptive when you resist to open up for them. I may have called such people selfish too, but it's not in my nature and it would be difficult for them to understand my perspective.
    Interesting take and subdivision :)

    Outward facing types are projecting their "self" while inward facing types are protecting their "self"

    I like this :)

  10. #60
    ENFP - The Inspirers

    Quote Originally Posted by Humoriarty View Post
    Freedom is a construct.


    As for your second comment, I'm inclined to say something cutting, but instead will ask... What happens after basic self control?

    Self control would assume knowledge of self. And with that WHAT the self wants, needs, and how to communicate that, either by vocal communication or by the playing of manipulation "games" ... Ie direct and indirect communication, serving the self interest of the being.

    When do you desire the penny to drop?
    And I'm inclined to reply with saccharine sarcasm. To each his own.

    Is that all selfishness is in your definition? Just an awareness of self and basic survival?


     
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [INFP] Healthy INFP = Selfless & Unhealthy INFP = Narcissist // What do you think? (long)
    By impersonality in forum INFP Forum - The Idealists
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-08-2017, 09:40 AM
  2. [INFJ] INFJ: Selfless givers
    By Misha in forum INFJ Forum - The Protectors
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 02-22-2012, 02:13 PM
  3. [INFJ] Acts of kindness...
    By coffeebelle in forum INFJ Forum - The Protectors
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-10-2011, 10:12 AM
  4. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-16-2010, 08:13 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:42 AM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
© 2014 PersonalityCafe
 

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0