[INTP] Your current, random, INTP thought - Page 2879

Your current, random, INTP thought

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 2879 of 2884 FirstFirst ... 1879 2379 2779 2829 2869 2877 2878 2879 2880 2881 ... LastLast
Results 28,781 to 28,790 of 28832
Thank Tree28217Thanks

This is a discussion on Your current, random, INTP thought within the INTP Forum - The Thinkers forums, part of the NT's Temperament Forum- The Intellects category; Originally Posted by Marvin the Dendroid That was a level-headed post. I remember reading some of your earlier posts after ...

  1. #28781
    INTP

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin the Dendroid View Post
    That was a level-headed post. I remember reading some of your earlier posts after you moved there and thinking "he's going to say very different things in a year or two".

    I'm living in my 12th country, almost certainly moving to my 13th later this year and I don't think there are any countries where I would not dislike most things; the fault is not with government, it is with the species itself.

    That said, I have my idiosyncractic preferences and they are more easily met in some places vs. others. I hate cultures where it is not only OK but normal to invade your space; where the very concept of private, personal space doesn't exist. That covers much of Asia, the Middle-East and Northern Africa. Unsure about Latin America, haven't been there yet. The Buddhist countries of SE Asia can be surprisingly respectful of your space as long as you keep a certain distance and are treated as a guest rather than a friend.

    But nothing beats Northern Europe for space. You will have it in spades, especially in Scandinavia. You have the opposite problem there - people give you so much space, it's hard to approach them. That suits me as I tend not to want to approach them anyway, I'm more of an observer. Scandinavia also has IME the highest degree of social conscience anywhere in the world; they truly care about the common good like no one else. There are other things that irritate me there, things like social conformism and high moral horses, invasive government policies re. privacy and lack of a wider perspective.

    Nowhere is perfect, but there is plenty of variation within societies if you can squeeze yourself into just the right niche. Being a guest in Thailand used to be close to what I prefer - people leave me alone but I get to watch them, there's durian and I can swim in a warm sea. It's been getting a lot worse under the junta, sadly. And seems to be headed for further degradation.

    The world really is like a crappy buffet ... most of the stuff is close to inedible, but by picking a little here & there, you can sort of combine bits and pieces into a decent meal.
    Yep, absolutely agree. I like that you mention the variety and the fact that one must pick the good from the bad.

    Also, funny that you noticed my earlier posts and wondered how I'd feel a year or two down the line. I also wondered that, and was sure as hell I'd become cynical in some way. I don't mind though, it's natural.

    I think the thing about being a visitor is true too. There's a world of difference between visiting a place and truly residing there for a major extent of time. My 'visitor' phase of China lasted almost three years, I think. I'm now in the 'time to go' phase. I need a large, healthy dose of order, social conscience, fresh air and access to solitude. And no chance of watching an old woman coax her grandchild toddler into shitting on the pavement.
    Marvin the Dendroid thanked this post.

  2. #28782

    Quote Originally Posted by Aridela View Post
    Fancying myself an author just because I wrote 60 pages of drivel sounds self-conceited, but whatevs.

    It may well be the only writing work I ever publish, so here's to me
    I should have mentioned my creation of a religion during high school as an icebreaker for class. Somehow that skipped my mind and I just mentioned going to Hawaii as a kid.

  3. #28783

    Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    Yep, absolutely agree. I like that you mention the variety and the fact that one must pick the good from the bad.

    Also, funny that you noticed my earlier posts and wondered how I'd feel a year or two down the line. I also wondered that, and was sure as hell I'd become cynical in some way. I don't mind though, it's natural.

    I think the thing about being a visitor is true too. There's a world of difference between visiting a place and truly residing there for a major extent of time. My 'visitor' phase of China lasted almost three years, I think. I'm now in the 'time to go' phase. I need a large, healthy dose of order, social conscience, fresh air and access to solitude. And no chance of watching an old woman coax her grandchild toddler into shitting on the pavement.
    I've only been to Hong Kong, Macao, Shenzhen, Shanghai, and Beijing, and I have not seen open defecation in those cities. I guess the (relatively) smaller cities are still a little behind in culture. I did see lots of people spitting, especially in Shenzhen/Guangdong. Hong Kong and Macao are clean, but I guess they're not really considered mainland China.

    I always wanted to go to a small Taoist village and learn Tai Chi from a master. I imagine that's the best of both world, to have both culture and personal space.

  4. #28784
    INTP

    Quote Originally Posted by SouDesuNyan View Post
    I've only been to Hong Kong, Macao, Shenzhen, Shanghai, and Beijing, and I have not seen open defecation in those cities. I guess the (relatively) smaller cities are still a little behind in culture. I did see lots of people spitting, especially in Shenzhen/Guangdong. Hong Kong and Macao are clean, but I guess they're not really considered mainland China.

    I always wanted to go to a small Taoist village and learn Tai Chi from a master. I imagine that's the best of both world, to have both culture and personal space.
    What's a "Small Taoist village"? Sounds like something from a movie plot.

    And how long were you in China for, and for what purpose? Visiting and living at are two different things.

  5. #28785

    Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    What's a "Small Taoist village"? Sounds like something from a movie plot.

    And how long were you in China for, and for what purpose? Visiting and living at are two different things.
    I was only in China for a few months. Wanted to learn about the culture but can barely speak Mandarin. Actually, I can read better than I can speak because there's no one to practice speaking with where I live.

    I'm mostly interested in Taoist and Buddhist philosophy, and also into their vegetarian/vegan food. From my research, there are villages centered around Taoist temples in the more remote parts of China, mostly in the mountains.
    HAL thanked this post.

  6. #28786
    INTP

    Quote Originally Posted by SouDesuNyan View Post
    I was only in China for a few months. Wanted to learn about the culture but can barely speak Mandarin. Actually, I can read better than I can speak because there's no one to practice speaking with where I live.

    I'm mostly interested in Taoist and Buddhist philosophy, and also into their vegetarian/vegan food. From my research, there are villages centered around Taoist temples in the more remote parts of China, mostly in the mountains.
    All I can say is it takes a bloody long time to really learn China, whether it's language or culture or whatever else. Hell, I can speak Chinese* and I still only feel like I'm scratching the surface (this probably isn't helped by the "foreigners will never understand China" mentality that is drilled into them here - I believe Japan has this same issue though so it isn't exclusive to China).

    As a visitor it's certainly a great place whether you're looking for Taoism or just one whirlwind adventure of things completely different from what you know. I think the Taoist retreat thing is a bit of a false impression of the country though. It's a bit like assuming the US is about Cowboys and Indians. There's some truth to be found, but the majority of folk are far from it.

    *to a conversational level. I converse with my girlfriend in Chinese 95% of the time, and am fine with anyone on the street, I can watch Chinese films and the likes, but of course there are still loads of times where I don't know what people are talking about.
    Marvin the Dendroid thanked this post.

  7. #28787

    Quote Originally Posted by Grandmaster Yoda View Post
    I should have mentioned my creation of a religion during high school as an icebreaker for class. Somehow that skipped my mind and I just mentioned going to Hawaii as a kid.
    I think Hawaii was the right call :P
    Grandmaster Yoda thanked this post.

  8. #28788

    Quote Originally Posted by Aridela View Post
    I think Hawaii was the right call :P
    Next I have to write about about myself and where I see myself in five years. A difficult thing to do as I do not even think further than 24 hours ahead. It must be painful to do so, only to find out one's vision never became a reality.

    This is the time where I learn to market myself, but sadly I must expunge the records of some of my greatest assets.
    Aridela thanked this post.

  9. #28789

    Quote Originally Posted by Grandmaster Yoda View Post
    Next I have to write about about myself and where I see myself in five years. A difficult thing to do as I do not even think further than 24 hours ahead. It must be painful to do so, only to find out one's vision never became a reality.

    This is the time where I learn to market myself, but sadly I must expunge the records of some of my greatest assets.
    5 Years is an eternity as far as I'm concerned.

    I may it up as I go.

    Just tell them what they want to hear; 5 year plans are made to fail.
    Grandmaster Yoda thanked this post.

  10. #28790

    Quote Originally Posted by Aridela View Post
    5 Years is an eternity as far as I'm concerned.

    I may it up as I go.

    Just tell them what they want to hear; 5 year plans are made to fail.
    Yes, in personality world the idea of structuring and planning is a part of personality. In the real world, planning and structuring are the tools to success. I remember when I first came to school and I was immediately told to research different jobs and pick one. Otherwise to figure it out as quickly as possible. In my opinion, a lot can happen over time to disrupt these ideas.

    Back in the olden days when I catalogued the events of daily life in stories, I felt a creative potential. Then I sided with the rest of the world and went the STEM route. Doubtless, I would have received extensive praise as an English major. The English teachers are often the most complimentary, while others are disconnected from their students unless they really make a mark. Too bad my career path does not benefit from this potential. There are no stories to be told here.

    In five years I will be somewhere. Unknown where. In a conversative prediction, I will still be here.
    GusWriter and Aridela thanked this post.


     

Similar Threads

  1. [INFP] do you like your current job?
    By niki in forum INFP Forum - The Idealists
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-09-2019, 08:04 PM
  2. [INTP] INTP's how did you meet your current mate? and how do you feel about it?
    By Mufasa in forum INTP Forum - The Thinkers
    Replies: 120
    Last Post: 09-11-2017, 08:09 PM
  3. [INTP] INTP Random Informative Video Thread
    By Kilgore Trout in forum INTP Forum - The Thinkers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-10-2014, 01:15 PM
  4. [INTP] [VERY LONG THOUGHT/ESSAY] Prevalence of INTP, relationships, career advice
    By rshih in forum INTP Forum - The Thinkers
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 08-01-2013, 03:44 PM
  5. [INFJ] Only an after-thought in a sea of random people and peers
    By waterviolet in forum INFJ Forum - The Protectors
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-12-2010, 08:39 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:24 AM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
© 2014 PersonalityCafe
 

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0