[ISFJ] Why do people often see ISFJ's as an "inferior type"? - Page 2

Why do people often see ISFJ's as an "inferior type"?

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 83
Thank Tree209Thanks

This is a discussion on Why do people often see ISFJ's as an "inferior type"? within the ISFJ Forum - The Nurturers forums, part of the SJ's Temperament Forum- The Overseers category; Thanks for all of your replies! I've talked to people on some other forum before, and they were often surprised ...

  1. #11
    INFP - The Idealists

    Thanks for all of your replies! I've talked to people on some other forum before, and they were often surprised if I told them something like "I'm an ISFJ, I'm going to get my masters in chemical and physical biology and I don't want kids."
    I guess that just has to do with stereotypes.
    What I also think is funny, is that 26% of population consists of xSFJs and on PerC, it seems that 90% of people is a N type. :')
    Mr. Meepers, Eudaimonia, Ninjaws and 1 others thanked this post.

  2. #12

    Quote Originally Posted by xForgottenOne View Post
    The first thought that went trough my head when I found out I am an ISFJ was 'no, no, no.' I think it's in the names. "The Nurturer", "The Protector", or even "The Defender". As if ISFJ's only exist to defend all those N types, as if we can't do anything on our own!

    Does anyone agree/disagree with me on this?

  3. #13

    Quote Originally Posted by xForgottenOne View Post
    Thanks for all of your replies! I've talked to people on some other forum before, and they were often surprised if I told them something like "I'm an ISFJ, I'm going to get my masters in chemical and physical biology and I don't want kids."
    I guess that just has to do with stereotypes.
    What I also think is funny, is that 26% of population consists of xSFJs and on PerC, it seems that 90% of people is a N type. :')
    More like, 50 percent of the people on this forum think they are Ns simply because the stereotypes of the sensing types are atrocious. I'd say that more than 30 percent here doesn't even know what the cognitive functions are. They probably took that 4 letter test and called it a day.
    Last edited by Ninjaws; 05-19-2015 at 02:59 PM.
    teddy564339, Mr. Meepers, angelcat and 2 others thanked this post.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PersonalityCafe.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    INTP - The Thinkers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaws View Post
    They probably took that 4 letter test and called it a day.
    I got my INFJ friend in on this website and he did just this.
    Then he tried to get every one of our friends on this website by typing them and of course he always typed them as an intuitive and would say E for a loud person and T if he thought the person was too mean. It was a disaster and I regret it.
    Zen Lizard, Ninjaws and Pressed Flowers thanked this post.

  6. #15

    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    I got my INFJ friend in on this website and he did just this.
    Then he tried to get every one of our friends on this website by typing them and of course he always typed them as an intuitive and would say E for a loud person and T if he thought the person was too mean. It was a disaster and I regret it.
    I don't understand why the 4 letter tests are even still in use. I mean, how stupid does this sound:

    T: Cold and calculating
    F: Warm and friendly
    N: Creative and imaginative (and usually they add 'intelligent' just for shits and giggles)
    S: Concrete (doesn't that sound delicious compared to "creative and imaginative" ?)
    I: Shy
    E: Loud
    P: Procrastinator
    J: Follows rules
    teddy564339, Mr. Meepers, Eudaimonia and 5 others thanked this post.

  7. #16

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaws View Post
    More like, 50 percent of the people on this forum think they are Ns simply because the stereotypes of the sensing types are atrocious. I'd say that more than 30 percent here doesn't even know what the cognitive functions are. They probably took that 4 letter test and called it a day.
    It really is way too easy to get N on at least some of the dichotomy tests. On the most prominent one (similarminds) I regularly score 40-50% N because it seems to judge N/S entirely on whether or not you deal well with change (dislike of change being more of a Si thing, I've seen it in INTPs and INFPs more than I have in SPs) and whether or not you have intellectual curiosity. Admittedly there's probably a small correlation for the last one but I've seen enough exceptions to make me disagree with its validity as a question. I think internet forums in general tend to attract a high amount of INxx types, so to be fair I would expect there to be a disproportionate amount of them here, but I have seen people who I'm sure are S types insist on being an N and completely shooting down any suggestions that they might not be an intuitive.
    Mr. Meepers, Juggernaut, Eudaimonia and 5 others thanked this post.

  8. #17

    Quote Originally Posted by angelcat View Post
    I didn't want to be an ISFJ. Everyone seems to hate them, and the online profiles always stress how boring / predictable / non-creative we are and push us toward nursing or something. Nah. I'm a natural born writer.

    Being around SJ types has shown me that we're not all alike, nor uncreative, and that most of the stereotypes about us are wrong. Now, I feel rather at home in the type.

    How long did it take to get to that acceptance point? Because ISFJ is still looking pretty likely for me (though I thought for a while I was rather Fi...someone suggested I'm probably an Fe-aux though), and I'm still ripping myself to shreds over it.


    Quote Originally Posted by JTHearts View Post
    Because the typists have a bad case of special snowflake syndrome and think "Oh I'm so misunderstood because I'm an N!" and try to make up for it by thinking they are intellectually superior and more creative, when they aren't at all.
    ....you sure? *waits to get banned for typism*


    Quote Originally Posted by Rebelgoatalliance View Post
    It really is way too easy to get N on at least some of the dichotomy tests. On the most prominent one (similarminds) I regularly score 40-50% N because it seems to judge N/S entirely on whether or not you deal well with change (dislike of change being more of a Si thing, I've seen it in INTPs and INFPs more than I have in SPs) and whether or not you have intellectual curiosity. Admittedly there's probably a small correlation for the last one but I've seen enough exceptions to make me disagree with its validity as a question. I think internet forums in general tend to attract a high amount of INxx types, so to be fair I would expect there to be a disproportionate amount of them here, but I have seen people who I'm sure are S types insist on being an N and completely shooting down any suggestions that they might not be an intuitive.
    Agreed - I can never manage to get any test (even functions tests) to type me as a Sensor. It's always iNtuitive. Always. And I believed it for the longest time, too. Probably because of that whole intellectual curiosity thing is such a large part of my self-image - even though I've been doing some reading lately and I look like a shallow idiot compared to actual N-types.
    Last edited by ScientiaOmnisEst; 05-19-2015 at 04:17 PM.
    Ninjaws and Pressed Flowers thanked this post.

  9. #18
    INTP - The Thinkers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaws View Post
    I don't understand why the 4 letter tests are even still in use. I mean, how stupid does this sound:

    T: Cold and calculating
    F: Warm and friendly
    N: Creative and imaginative (and usually they add 'intelligent' just for shits and giggles)
    S: Concrete (doesn't that sound delicious compared to "creative and imaginative" ?)
    I: Shy
    E: Loud
    P: Procrastinator
    J: Follows rules
    Ugh. I mean I like the 4-letter description itself, (It helps me to write and maintain consistent characters in writing) but there should somehow be a solution for people who just want a label and be on their way without understanding it. If I'm making sense.

    A few colleges near me require you to take the MBTI. Which would be super cool if they were teaching you about the cognitive functions instead of using it as an aptitude test. They mainly focused on how rare the types were, so you had a room full of xSFJs feel like they wouldn't be anything more than ordinary because they're so common. It was damn near heartbreaking and that's coming from an INTP who feels only science. According to our teacher.

    I wont even start on the teacher's expectations in our work ethic.
    teddy564339, Eudaimonia and Ninjaws thanked this post.

  10. #19

    Quote Originally Posted by ScientiaOmnisEst View Post
    Agreed - I can never manage to get any test (even functions tests) to type me as a Sensor. It's always iNtuitive. Always. And I believed it for the longest time, too. Probably because of that whole intellectual curiosity thing is such a large part of my self-image - even though I've been doing some reading lately and I'm a shallow idiot compared to actual N-types.
    Same. I tend to have these really long, intellectual conversations with an INTP friend and he goes so much more abstract than I do. I don't necessarily have any trouble keeping up with what he's saying, but the more conceptual it gets, the less I have to add. A lot of it just isn't stuff that I really think about, I see a table and he sees a bunch of atoms that aren't even touching each other. And while he's diving into the secrets of the universe, I'm trying to figure which kind of hotdog I prefer (not the mediocre turkey stuff I just got, I think it's the one that had chili smoked into it).

    Not to say he's smarter than I am, just that we have different kinds of intelligences. I can utterly and mercilessly annihilate the guy at chess.

  11. #20

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebelgoatalliance View Post
    Same. I tend to have these really long, intellectual conversations with an INTP friend and he goes so much more abstract than I do. I don't necessarily have any trouble keeping up with what he's saying, but the more conceptual it gets, the less I have to add. A lot of it just isn't stuff that I really think about, I see a table and he sees a bunch of atoms that aren't even touching each other. And while he's diving into the secrets of the universe, I'm trying to figure which kind of hotdog I prefer (not the mediocre turkey stuff I just got, I think it's the one that had chili smoked into it).

    Not to say he's smarter than I am, just that we have different kinds of intelligences. I can utterly and mercilessly annihilate the guy at chess.

    See, the worst part about all of this is admitting to myself that it's true...I guess that's a difference between us: you seem quite accepting of these differences; I agonize, self-hate for them, and try to find ways to change it, see them as flaws that must be rectified....

    I still hang out online with a bunch of XNTPs that I met when I was mistyped, and they claim to enjoy my company and contributions, but I can't trust it. I often have little or nothing to add, either because I don't know anything about the topic being discussed, or I just can't think of anything to add no matter how much I try. Anything I do come up with seems so lame by comparison.

    Yet I like to think I can at least follow them.

    Though aren't N's usually better at chess? That always seemed like a strong-N thing.
    Last edited by ScientiaOmnisEst; 05-19-2015 at 04:37 PM.


     
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-21-2017, 05:28 AM
  2. [ENFP] How to win your argument against "ISTJ Dad" and "ISFJ Mom" if you're an ENFP?
    By sassy.girl in forum ENFP Forum - The Inspirers
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 06-29-2014, 12:01 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-17-2013, 07:58 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-05-2012, 10:16 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:27 PM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
© 2014 PersonalityCafe
 

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0