[ISTP] ISTP Emotions - Page 3

ISTP Emotions

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46
Thank Tree53Thanks

This is a discussion on ISTP Emotions within the ISTP Forum - The Mechanics forums, part of the SP's Temperament Forum- The Creators category; Originally Posted by Hicks I see ISTPs as being very emotional, although they might not be good at showing it. ...

  1. #21

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I see ISTPs as being very emotional, although they might not be good at showing it. Also they have that INFP super ego.
    ... what, in your definition, then is the meaning of "very emotional"? Currently, your sentence is the equivalent of ordering a burger, except without bread, patties, sauce and extras.
    BigApplePi thanked this post.

  2. #22
    ESFP

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    ... what, in your definition, then is the meaning of "very emotional"? Currently, your sentence is the equivalent of ordering a burger, except without bread, patties, sauce and extras.

    I don't have a personal definition of "very emotional". I used and meant that phrase the same way most people would use it. I think.

    Your analogy (that's the right word right ???) to my sentence doesn't make sense to me.
    Last edited by HIX; 07-06-2019 at 10:32 AM.

  3. #23

    @Hicks : My understanding of "very emotional" as relating to a person is someone who very easily breaks out in obvious manifestation of emotions. Which you promptly nixed with "not good at showing". I don't know anyone who would call a person that never showed emotions (for whatever reason) "emotional". That's why I asked. If I had understood your sentence, I would have engaged the content

    Rephrasing: Could you describe in which way you think we are emotional?

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PersonalityCafe.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #24
    ESFP

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    @Hicks : My understanding of "very emotional" as relating to a person is someone who very easily breaks out in obvious manifestation of emotions. Which you promptly nixed with "not good at showing". I don't know anyone who would call a person that never showed emotions (for whatever reason) "emotional". That's why I asked. If I had understood your sentence, I would have engaged the content

    Rephrasing: Could you describe in which way you think we are emotional?

    I don't think of emotional in that way. That definition in Myers Briggs terms sounded more like Fe. The way I see it ISTPs (the healthier ones) are emotional but not very expressive about it. INFP super shadow means that they use Fi subconsciously, I think.

  6. #25

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    are emotional
    Yes, but what does that mean? I don't understand. Do you have an example, perhaps?

  7. #26
    ESFP

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    Yes, but what does that mean? I don't understand. Do you have an example, perhaps?
    I don't understand what you don't understand about that. No, I don't have any specific examples, not ones that I could point out for you to observe if that makes sense. I'm mainly talking about my own experience with them. They strike me as being guarded for fear of being taken advantage of or hurt by vicious people. They seem to get attached to people very intensely and are extremely loyal and protective to the ones they care about. (the healthy ones at least).

    Here's one example actually. I know an ISTP who had a friend who was a heroin addict. He tried to help him get off drugs for a long time. He eventually cut him out of his life entirely because he knew that he wasn't going to get clean. Now my perception of why he did that is because he knew that his friend was probably going to die from an overdose and he knew that he was too sensitive to be able to handle it if it did happen. This is why ISTPs are prone to emotional detachment I think. Because they are overly sensitive to bad results. Hope this helps.
    Northern Lights thanked this post.

  8. #27

    @Hicks : You told me my definition of that word was not what you had in mind. Given that I have no other, I literally didn't understand what you were saying. I asked in the same way you would ask if I said "You are akwtzfget". That kind of "don't understand".

    This post cleared it up, though. "Sensitive" makes sense, and the example did, too. I disagree with regards to both :)

    I would cut out a friend as well, but not because of fearing the emotional end, but rather, because in the end, I prioritise my life over theirs on the one hand, and on the other, in this situation, it's also factually correct -- it's established that if anything can (and there is little chance anything will), setting clear boundaries and distancing yourself has a chance of working on addicts. To corroborate: My grandparents are old and could die anytime (not sick or anything -- just old). I don't fear the hurt -- for that matter, I know there will be no big hurt, even though I love them very much, simply because I don't do big emotions.

    It's going to be a muted kind of sadness, a dull pain that stays with you always; and consequently, my response is not to distance myself to somehow lessen the pain -- not least, because I don't think about the future enough to plan it that way, my domain the the present --, but rather, in the last few years, I've taken to spending as much time with them as I can, because the shared moments is what I'll remember them by. What does make me concerned is all the other people's emotions I will have no clue how to deal with. Like I said: Out of my depth. I know family will turn towards me as well for emotional support, and I will have no idea what to do: I cannot provide what they need. That's an uncomfortable situation.

    And as regards "sensitive", and fear of being taken advantage of by vicious people: By some accounts, we are those "vicious people". When bluntness tips over into cruelty, when instead through ignorance offence is caused deliberately, when the imbalance of our insensitivity regarding emotional hurt compared to other people's is exploited to hit where it hurts without having to fear retribution in kind -- then that is still us, and rather the opposite of what you describe.

    I maintain what I said: Emotional detachment is not something we do. It's something in us that is.
    Last edited by Northern Lights; 07-06-2019 at 12:03 PM.
    Aridela, Bunniculla and HIX thanked this post.

  9. #28
    ESFP

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    @Hicks : You told me my definition of that word was not what you had in mind. Given that I have no other, I literally didn't understand what you were saying. I asked in the same way you would ask if I said "You are akwtzfget". That kind of "don't understand".

    This post cleared it up, though. "Sensitive" makes sense, and the example did, too. I disagree with regards to both :)

    I would cut out a friend as well, but not because of fearing the emotional end, but rather, because in the end, I prioritise my life over theirs on the one hand, and on the other, in this situation, it's also factually correct -- it's established that if anything can (and there is little chance anything will), setting clear boundaries and distancing yourself has a chance of working on addicts. To corroborate: My grandparents are old and could die anytime (not sick or anything -- just old). I don't fear the hurt -- for that matter, I know there will be no big hurt, even though I love them very much, simply because I don't do big emotions.

    It's going to be a muted kind of sadness, a dull pain that stays with you always; and consequently, my response is not to distance myself to somehow lessen the pain -- not least, because I don't think about the future enough to plan it that way, my domain the the present --, but rather, in the last few years, I've taken to spending as much time with them as I can, because the shared moments is what I'll remember them by. What does make me concerned is all the other people's emotions I will have no clue how to deal with. Like I said: Out of my depth. I know family will turn towards me as well for emotional support, and I will have no idea what to do: I cannot provide what they need. That's an uncomfortable situation.

    And as regards "sensitive", and fear of being taken advantage of by vicious people: By some accounts, we are those "vicious people". When bluntness tips over into cruelty, when instead through ignorance offence is caused deliberately, when the imbalance of our insensitivity regarding emotional hurt compared to other people's is exploited to hit where it hurts without having to fear retribution in kind -- then that is still us, and rather the opposite of what you describe.

    I maintain what I said: Emotional detachment is not something we do. It's something in us that is.

    Can I ask you a question though. A lot of what you described as what you see as your weaknesses were Fe and I agree that Fe is a potential trouble spot for ISTPs. But if you ever read up on socionics it says that ISTPs have and use Fi. So my question is how do you relate to Fi ?? I understand that ISTPs are not walking around all the time being emotional but is it something that randomly shows up in your life every now and then ?? Oh yeah, and before you say MBTI and socionics are different systems let me just say that yes, they are different systems but they're both trying to explain the same thing which is the cognitive functions.

    Have you ever read the socionics explanation of how ISTPs relate to Fi ?? If you haven't you might wanna give it a go go. It might help you to better answer my question. https://www.sociotype.com/socionics/types/LSI-ISTj/

  10. #29

    @Hicks : I'll try my best. I have to say, though, that I prefer MBTI in letters, and that I don't know and don't think much of Socionics -- I relate to the ISTp, there, which I understand is a problem for that theory. So in terms of you linking the ISTj: No, I don't relate to that and never have. It sounds, in many ways, like the opposite of what I am, really. (And for that matter, it is the opposite if you compare any random MBTI ISTP profile -- clearly, something is not working here.)

    As far sometimes showing emotions go: As I mentioned, I never (or rarely, and I'm terrible at it ...) hide what I feel. What you see is what you get. Which includes e.g. (very -- like, once-in-a-decade) rare bursts of anger, but mostly minor stuff: annoyance, irritation (those are the main negative ones), happieness, and the default one, contentment. So the relevant thing is not that I don't show emotions but sometimes I do. But rather, that I always show emotions, and usually, it's a tiny blib on the radar, because that's all that's there.

    There's also a very convenient imbalance between good and bad feelings. I regularly feel immensely happy. Ice-skating under the moonlight, just me, the clear, cold night, and the ice. Sitting on a hill I climbed, feel the wind, see the land, and watch the sundown. Those are magic moments that fill me with happiness until it's almost too much to contain and I think it'll overflow. Conversely, I can't remember any moment in my entire life that had the equivalent in terms of anger.

    So, Fi ...? I really dunno. As far as I am aware, typically it's described as personal subjective values and judgement based on that. I hardly ever think about things in terms of moral "wrong" or "right". I think in terms of (subjective) facts -- "true" or "false". Makes sense, doesn't make sense. Those are my judgements. I struggle to assign values to things -- consequently, in terms of ethics, I work along the lines of Kant, constructing rational considerations for oughts and oughtn'ts as best I can. I suppose you can look at this and say it's a deficit in "Fi", and that's how "Fi shows itself" in me, as a weakness -- but then, I'd argue, this is just the same as defining Fi as "Not Ti", which, if you go by the usual function model, indeed is the case, as IxTPs lack "Fi", and IxFPs lack "Ti".
    Bunniculla, Llyralen, HIX and 1 others thanked this post.

  11. #30

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    @Hicks :

    So, Fi ...? I really dunno. As far as I am aware, typically it's described as personal subjective values and judgement based on that. I hardly ever think about things in terms of moral "wrong" or "right". I think in terms of (subjective) facts -- "true" or "false". Makes sense, doesn't make sense. .
    I think everyone have fi it's just not used the same way

    Anyhow curiosity- if someone was the rape their own child for pure pleasure- would that be a matter of wrong or right or true or false in your eyes?


    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


     
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [INTJ] How do you deal with NFs in debates about emotions or people's emotions in general?
    By lil intro vert in forum INTJ Forum - The Scientists
    Replies: 140
    Last Post: 03-18-2016, 05:59 PM
  2. INTJ emotions vs INFJ emotions vs INTP emotions
    By BlueBlack in forum Myers Briggs Forum
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 01-10-2016, 08:26 AM
  3. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-14-2015, 11:01 AM
  4. [INFJ] Visceral reaction to emotions? Which emotions trigger it in you?
    By Windblownhair in forum INFJ Forum - The Protectors
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-26-2015, 11:52 AM
  5. [INTP] Grown-Up Emotions Vs. Little Kid Emotions
    By Mufasa in forum INTP Forum - The Thinkers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-25-2012, 05:53 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:37 PM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
© 2014 PersonalityCafe
 

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0