[ISTP] Ti dominants causing "thinking for its own sake without a goal"?

Ti dominants causing "thinking for its own sake without a goal"?

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
Thank Tree16Thanks

This is a discussion on Ti dominants causing "thinking for its own sake without a goal"? within the ISTP Forum - The Mechanics forums, part of the SP's Temperament Forum- The Creators category; I once had an IXTP describe Ti dominant thinking involving thinking about thinking about thinking about...for its own sake in ...

  1. #1
    ESTP - The Doers

    Ti dominants causing "thinking for its own sake without a goal"?

    I once had an IXTP describe Ti dominant thinking involving thinking about thinking about thinking about...for its own sake in a never ending loop. (Simply because Ti is process orientated.) @Sonny possibly remembers

    But isn't to derive meaning+understanding (possibly curiosity + human beings inherently fearful of the unknown) a goal? What about this type of process as a ritual to neutralize anxiety?

    I was told that as a "Doer" who usually only use Ti as a tool, I'd fail to understand.

    I challenge you to make me.
    Sensational thanked this post.



  2. #2
    ISFJ - The Nurturers

    I enjoy the process of considering things. I love getting lost in my thoughts and zoning out of the world around me. I love the feeling of being transported deep within my own mind. Finding things to think about simply because I want to experience the overwhelming flood of information is not foreign to me. This is why I love to think about possibilities because possibilities are endless and allow me plenty of room to ponder. While I'm pondering possibilities I may come across something that truly helps me in my life ... which is a nice side effect, but it's not the reason for it.

    Deriving meaning and understanding is a by product of that type of consideration. It is not the goal.

    When I am interrupted from my musings I am irritated as can be ... not because I've lost the potential solution, just because you've brought me back to this world I didn't want to be in while I was happily pondering an issue.
    It's not like you can just get back to that moment with all those different pieces floating around in an organized chaos in your mind without work. Well ... it's an enjoyable work ... but it takes time and personally I don't have that much time to focus inwardly. So when you force stop it ... it's very irritating.

    Hmmmm, did that help?

  3. #3
    Unknown Personality

    It's like a harddisk that is constantly fed with information. This information has to be browsed through, reviewed, stored or deleted from the disk.

    Then at moments, when you as a "doer" would consider yourself bored we'll go back to our harddisk.

    Goalless, for the entertainment to pass time. Or with a goal, motivation and an ambition. Both options to continue the process.
    Virgo, Sensational and Choice thanked this post.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PersonalityCafe.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4

    It is more thinking for its own sake than Te. Te's thinking is more visible. It is more "constructive". Ti is used more to deconstruct things. You can see this in many STP athletes and musicians/artists. They are more concrete and their Ti generally has more practical application, because of Se. So, ISTP usually want to put the thought to action in some way, and are "doer" types. INTP is more about possibilities with Ne, which can go on forever.
    Sensational and Choice thanked this post.

  6. #5
    ISTP - The Mechanics

    i don't agree with that guys description of a Ti dom. However, I would say that I enjoy analysis just for analysis sake. As long as the topic is interesting somewhat, i just enjoy breaking it down. That is a fun part. exploring depth.
    I get a sort of joy out of being able to connect everything together. Even better when it's practical in nature. although i don't necessarily have to do it, it's enough just to have practical application.
    Sensational thanked this post.

  7. #6

    Quote Originally Posted by Choice View Post
    But isn't to derive meaning+understanding (possibly curiosity + human beings inherently fearful of the unknown) a goal? What about this type of process as a ritual to neutralize anxiety?
    Not sure I agree but I can see why you would think that. The thing is tho... we are not a type that has to have everything methodically always processed to act. We can improvise and do use Se. We can leap in fast reaction. But our over analyzing Ti is what equips and prepares us in many moments subconsciously. The way you almost describe it sounds much more like how I think of an SJ, not SP.

    I don't hyper plan with Ti always thinking of the worst case scenario (even tho sometimes it comes into vision).

    Like @Virgo said we utilize our Ti out of sheer hobby sometimes. Not always in a paranoid planning state of mind. It just so happens that the over analyzing aids in our responses when they are called for.

    I was told that as a "Doer" who usually only use Ti as a tool, I'd fail to understand.
    I challenge you to make me.
    Well my daughter is ESTP I do think thats the big barrier between us. She likes to just act. And she is generally pretty swift and amazes me how much she can pick up on while in action always or talking non stop. I can say that she tends to not care to see a big picture. She can see it sometimes when she looks but does not always care to look.

    I must say on one hand I can see what you say about having to mull thought over everything and how you can perceive this as fear. But how I read what you said was more like....
    "So he is telling us not to think before we act ever"

    In situations of urgency I have been known to act promptly with an even head. But outside stuff like that I would prefer to over think before I act. Usually ends better then when I just react. Because when I just react its usually from faulty non existent Ne or Inferior Fe. and then I just end up being a nut.

    What you deem as fear, is really about a process.

    One could deem it a fear to avoid considering ones actions before acting.

  8. #7
    ESTP - The Doers

    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamon83 View Post
    Like @Virgo said we utilize our Ti out of sheer hobby sometimes. Not always in a paranoid planning state of mind. It just so happens that the over analyzing aids in our responses when they are called for.
    I never said anything about not being spontaneous, or paranoid planning. Where is this coming from?

    My best guess is on the word ritual, in which case I meant that the act of mental masturbation may be anxiety relieving.

  9. #8
    ISFJ - The Nurturers

    Quote Originally Posted by Choice View Post
    I never said anything about not being spontaneous, or paranoid planning. Where is this coming from?

    My best guess is on the word ritual, in which case I meant that the act of mental masturbation may be anxiety relieving.
    Mental masturbation may relieve anxiety?
    Nope, you've got it all wrong.
    If I'm terribly anxious it becomes more difficult to think about things. I feel like at that point I MUST derive some kind of meaning out of it and it becomes a chore.
    I can't just think because it's my hobby (thank you for that wonderful way of saying it @Cinnamon83 ) if I have an actual problem to solve. That just makes it more difficult and annoying.
    You are not making sense to me.
    Choice and Sensational thanked this post.

  10. #9
    ESTP - The Doers

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgo View Post
    Mental masturbation may relieve anxiety?
    Nope, you've got it all wrong.
    If I'm terribly anxious it becomes more difficult to think about things. I feel like at that point I MUST derive some kind of meaning out of it and it becomes a chore.
    I can't just think because it's my hobby (thank you for that wonderful way of saying it @Cinnamon83) if I have an actual problem to solve. That just makes it more difficult and annoying.
    You are not making sense to me.
    Ah, not for you then. Personally I sometimes use my thoughts to distract myself when anxious or bored, and I go over to doing detached analysis instead of facing my feelings.

    What are your preferred defence mechanisms for anxiety if it ain't mine?
    Splash Shin thanked this post.

  11. #10
    ISFJ - The Nurturers

    Quote Originally Posted by Choice View Post
    Ah, not for you then. Personally I sometimes use my thoughts to distract myself when anxious or bored, and I go over to doing detached analysis instead of facing my feelings.

    What are your preferred defence mechanisms for anxiety if it ain't mine?
    Defense mechanism for anxiety? Real concrete distraction. Something that will allow me to ignore my problems and not think about anything. Something that requires technical skill and brain power and combines it with physical sensation and movement. Like performing a musical instrument, playing basket ball or mountain biking. Sometimes my distraction of choice is a game. Anything where I don't have to think about what is causing me to be anxious. Sometimes I'll even throw myself into my work if it's bad enough.
    Choice thanked this post.


     
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Enneagram Type 4] ''Positive thinking" and avoiding "negative" people
    By VisitorFromThe11thD in forum Type 4 Forum - The Individualist
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-11-2015, 10:33 AM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-18-2014, 05:32 AM
  3. Can you see yourself with this "INFP Thinking" or just "big picture" thinking ... ?
    By Bago in forum NF's Temperament Forum- The Dreamers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-04-2014, 01:03 AM
  4. Confused ISXJ; stuck between "thinking" and "feeling"
    By hulia in forum What's my personality type?
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-14-2012, 08:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:51 PM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
© 2014 PersonalityCafe
 

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0