Nintendo finally releases no bullshit console: Nintendo Switch Lite

Nintendo finally releases no bullshit console: Nintendo Switch Lite

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
Thank Tree8Thanks

This is a discussion on Nintendo finally releases no bullshit console: Nintendo Switch Lite within the Science and Technology forums, part of the Topics of Interest category; https://www.nintendo.com/switch/lite/ https://www.nintendo.co.jp/hardware/...ite/index.html In short, it's the same Switch, but with unnecessary features removed. Lite model doesn't have dock or removable ...

  1. #1

    Nintendo finally releases no bullshit console: Nintendo Switch Lite



    https://www.nintendo.com/switch/lite/
    https://www.nintendo.co.jp/hardware/...ite/index.html

    In short, it's the same Switch, but with unnecessary features removed. Lite model doesn't have dock or removable joycons. There will be 3 colors: yellow, cyan and grey. The most important thing of lite is that it will cost sensible 200 dollars. That's 100 dollars less, while not really losing anything truly important.

    You will be able to buy it in 2019.09.20 (at least in Japan).

    Here's a more complete change list:
    Last edited by The red spirit; 07-11-2019 at 12:00 PM.
    Eren Jaegerbomb thanked this post.



  2. #2

    I just saw the release video for this, and don't know why anybody - price aside - would want this over the regular switch. Maybe if you're like a parent and giving it to ur kid that you know has a high probability of breaking, losing, or having it stolen. Or maaaaybe if you're someone that prioritizes weight, like if you're a climber or something. Gotta get that mario kart fix at base camp?

  3. #3

    Gotta say the regular Switch is rather heavy, but I'm not too keen on a smaller screen. Right now I rest it on the table against a purse and it works just fine.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PersonalityCafe.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4

    Quote Originally Posted by BenevolentBitterBleeding View Post
    I just saw the release video for this, and don't know why anybody - price aside - would want this over the regular switch. Maybe if you're like a parent and giving it to ur kid that you know has a high probability of breaking, losing, or having it stolen. Or maaaaybe if you're someone that prioritizes weight, like if you're a climber or something. Gotta get that mario kart fix at base camp?
    I can be exactly the same as you about Switch. What's the reason to get regular Switch? It's poor at being stationary console (low framerate, poor visual quality and lower resolution). You lose joycons, but it's not a big loss. They are cool as concept, but they are small and not really confortable or convenient. As portable console Switch is bit too bit, for stationary console Switch is too weak and kinda dumb (probably even more than Wii U, because those damn joycons aren't a full size gamepad). I'm not sure what other people think, but joycons to me looks like 3D on 3DS. It was cool and awesome, but in reality almost nobody used it. Then Nintendo made 2DS and many people bough them, because it was finally significantly cheaper and pretty much lost nothing.

    It would have been awesome if they actually improved battery life to make it more portable, but I guess it's also reasonable that they didn't. Why? It would cannibalize 3DS sales.

  6. #5

    Quote Originally Posted by The red spirit View Post
    I can be exactly the same as you about Switch. What's the reason to get regular Switch? It's poor at being stationary console (low framerate, poor visual quality and lower resolution). You lose joycons, but it's not a big loss. They are cool as concept, but they are small and not really confortable or convenient. As portable console Switch is bit too bit, for stationary console Switch is too weak and kinda dumb (probably even more than Wii U, because those damn joycons aren't a full size gamepad). I'm not sure what other people think, but joycons to me looks like 3D on 3DS. It was cool and awesome, but in reality almost nobody used it. Then Nintendo made 2DS and many people bough them, because it was finally significantly cheaper and pretty much lost nothing.

    It would have been awesome if they actually improved battery life to make it more portable, but I guess it's also reasonable that they didn't. Why? It would cannibalize 3DS sales.
    I don't own any of the above mentioned consoles so can't really confirm/deny any of the complaints(one complaint I have though, and is probably something that stopped me from buying one, was that there was no way to watch videos on it); but I do know that the Switch has sold like craaaazy, and has consistently been sought after at low price for resell. So for all of the complaints, I think the form factor/function outweighed what you mentioned; not to mention they probably leave room for improvements because they were trying to be quick to market, and also so that they have clear upgrade paths. Now I could say that Switch lite might be as good in terms of 'Fun factor'(because that's why I assume Switch is so popular), but there are trades to be made, and so personally like I said, why bother? It's like if you want to play certain games with certain features, you still have to buy the joy cons? Is the multiplayer support there like how you can have 2+ people game on one Switch, or do you each have to have your own Switch Lite? Do you need to buy joy cons in order to have that experience? I think it's basically just their way of milking more money, from people who think they need the convenience features.

  7. #6

    Quote Originally Posted by BenevolentBitterBleeding View Post
    I don't own any of the above mentioned consoles so can't really confirm/deny any of the complaints(one complaint I have though, and is probably something that stopped me from buying one, was that there was no way to watch videos on it); but I do know that the Switch has sold like craaaazy, and has consistently been sought after at low price for resell. So for all of the complaints, I think the form factor/function outweighed what you mentioned; not to mention they probably leave room for improvements because they were trying to be quick to market, and also so that they have clear upgrade paths. Now I could say that Switch lite might be as good in terms of 'Fun factor'(because that's why I assume Switch is so popular), but there are trades to be made, and so personally like I said, why bother? It's like if you want to play certain games with certain features, you still have to buy the joy cons? Is the multiplayer support there like how you can have 2+ people game on one Switch, or do you each have to have your own Switch Lite? Do you need to buy joy cons in order to have that experience? I think it's basically just their way of milking more money, from people who think they need the convenience features.
    It totally doesn't sell like crazy everywhere. In general, Nintendo consoles always sell worse in Europe. Doesn't really take a genius to understand why. Currently the price of it is just stupid, it costs over 300 Euros, meanwhile Xbox One S is just 200 and PS4 is usually at below 300. Makes no sense, that some portable bullshit (historically portables were cheaper) would cost more. So price reduction here is truly welcome. Plus some people just want a classical portable console and Lite is that, meanwhile Switch is some weird hybrid.

  8. #7

    Maybe I'm just less picky than the average person, but I personally have no issues with how the switch looks when docked. The framerate and resolution looks fine to me. And I personally have not had any issues with my joycons (be it drifting, losing them, etc) but then again I am a responsible adult, and most switch owners are probably younger and more prone to losing things. I play my switch much more in docked mode than in handheld, except for games that are easier to play touchscreen (mostly indie puzzle games like Piczle Lines that were originally made for smartphones).

    And I mean, the switch being a hybrid console is it's entire gimmick. My sister plays hers almost exclusively in handheld mode, I prefer docked but sometimes play in handheld while I use my TV for netflix or something... it's just a 'to each their own' type of situation. I can agree that the price seems a bit high for a console that is a hybrid and not a standalone, polished home console like Xbone or PS4.

    My take on this is: basically, if you only planned to play in handheld mode anyway, go for it and have a great time, it's definitely worth it for that much of a lower price. Personally I will not be buying it. I already have an OG switch and like playing in docked mode more than handheld, and like having the option to play in whatever mode I choose.

    I think it's a smart move on Nintendo's part. Brings more players to the market who either could not afford it before, or who were skeptical about buying one before. More people in the market is always a good thing.
    Last edited by Suntide; 07-11-2019 at 09:16 PM.

  9. #8

    I'd love to get this over the normal switch. Only one TV in the house anyway and I don't live on my own so. Plus it's $200 cheaper. Switch is $400 in Australia. I didn't really want to fork out $400. I'm going to cancel my lay buy on the switch.
    Last edited by Eren Jaegerbomb; 07-12-2019 at 05:39 AM.
    The red spirit and Doccium thanked this post.

  10. #9

    Quote Originally Posted by The red spirit View Post
    Currently the price of it is just stupid, it costs over 300 Euros, meanwhile Xbox One S is just 200 and PS4 is usually at below 300. Makes no sense, that some portable bullshit (historically portables were cheaper) would cost more.
    a) Yep, that's why I said in the first post aside from price.
    b) Costs more than standalone portable players because of its flexibility(multiplayer on the go); its ability to... 'Switch'.

    Definitely a smart move by Nintendo though, to merge its portable division with their 'home console' titles. Spend less, but increase their market; and even if people buy Sony, or Microsoft, they can still afford a handheld with full fledged AAA title support.

    Plus some people just want a classical portable console...
    It's not for me, but it is definitely a win for consumers who are looking specifically for that. It's good business as well to make it affordable enough for younger people to get hooked into their ecosystem.

  11. #10

    Quote Originally Posted by BenevolentBitterBleeding View Post
    Definitely a smart move by Nintendo though, to merge its portable division with their 'home console' titles. Spend less, but increase their market; and even if people buy Sony, or Microsoft, they can still afford a handheld with full fledged AAA title support.
    I highly doubt it will cost less than Xbox One S. Anyway, for the price of Switch you can actually build a powerful PC, which will play games at 1440p resolution and 60 fps. Also many people don't own more than one console, so market you are talking about is small.


    Quote Originally Posted by BenevolentBitterBleeding View Post
    It's not for me, but it is definitely a win for consumers who are looking specifically for that. It's good business as well to make it affordable enough for younger people to get hooked into their ecosystem.
    Yes, just that I think, that most removed features weren't exactly essential, so gains are big and loses are minimal.


     
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Nintendo Switch
    By Tega1 in forum Video Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-26-2019, 07:03 PM
  2. Nintendo Switch
    By GoodOldDreamer in forum Video Games
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-12-2018, 10:59 PM
  3. [Generation Y] Nintendo Wii today is older than Nintendo 64 was when AVGN debuted on YouTube
    By CaboBayCaptain1297 in forum Generation Y Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-14-2018, 08:01 PM
  4. Thoughts on the Nintendo Switch?
    By jaden_d in forum Video Games
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-28-2017, 03:01 PM
  5. [INFJ] no-tolerance/bullshit policy - which type is likely to be like this?
    By curious0610 in forum INFJ Forum - The Protectors
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-03-2010, 07:51 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:01 PM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
© 2014 PersonalityCafe
 

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0