Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was walking a trail in a physically gorgeous area. It was my first time in this particular place. It's a hidden gem – my mate has been telling me about this place for years and we happened to be nearby yesterday and she took me in. It was amazing. Sunlight through forest trees, a creek, sounds and smells so beautiful, the feel of the land under my feet … amazing.

Later in the evening as I was thanking her, I tried to describe my lived experience of being there. I realized that when I am in situations like this – and I am lucky to have had a number of experiences like this in different places - I get inundated with multi-sensory beauty almost to the point of being overwhelmed.

It's an amazing and intense experience – vividness of beauty in feel, smell, sound that I really don't even have words to describe. My mate responded with a fragment of an Emily Dickinson poem: “Beauty crowds me til I die.” I don't know what that means in the poem but I felt like for me it got the intensity of the experience, and the joy of being overwhelmed by beauty. I wish I could live inside such beauty all the time.

So I'm wondering: is such intense/extreme experience of beauty part of the INFJ Se-inferior experience for other INFJs?

And also - what are the most beautiful places you've physically experienced? I'll start with a few of mine:

Pajaro Dunes ocean access, outside Watsonville CA, US
Gold-grass-covered UCSC hill overlooking the city and the ocean, Santa Cruz CA, US
Sabino Canyon,Tucson AZ, US
Fauntleroy Park, West Seattle WA, US

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know the feeling, I really wish I could experience it more often. I can only get into deep communion with nature when I'm alone and in a good temperment. I've found myself in stunning landscapes and felt little to nothing I couldn't understand why I was feeling so little then I realized that the beauty comes from within me and If I'm unwilling to let go, relax and be in it then I won't enjoy it. Feelings like this can't be forced they are invoked by a collapsing into total unity of being and as you said sensory overload. I don't know of any specific locations I live in northern California, The ocean at night, rivers and creeks any running water puts me in a vibratory state as long as no one is around.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Yes! The beauty of the American West is so sublime. The landscapes make me feel transported to another world. I believe that where we are influences who we are (which I guess goes some ways in explaining my strange fascination with architecture, but that's neither here nor there) and when I'm physically in a good place, I can just let the experience wash over me. There aren't words to describe it, because I feel like it's an explicitly wordless experience. It's raw. Just so raw. It's like I'm tapping into life itself.

My "places":

The ocean, anywhere, but I particularly have a place in my heart for Point Lobos in California
Any of the National Parks in southern Utah, but perhaps particularly Zion National Park
Yellowstone National Park

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know the feeling, I really wish I could experience it more often.I can only get into deep communion with nature when I'm alone and in a good temperment. I've found myself in stunning landscapes and felt little to nothing I couldn't understand why I was feeling so little then I realized that the beauty comes from within me and If I'm unwilling to let go, relax and be in it then I won't enjoy it. Feelings like this can't be forced they are invoked by a collapsing into total unity of being and as you said sensory overload.
and when I'm physically in a good place, I can just let the experience wash over me. There aren't words to describe it, because I feel like it's an explicitly wordless experience. It's raw. Just so raw. It's like I'm tapping into life itself.
Interesting to see both the intensity of the experience AND that there are (different, so far) conditions required to allow the experience. I'm going to have to think about whether there are conditions for me as well, I hadn't thought about that before *thinking*

And interesting so far our place list is all in the US West. Just so far.

I don't know of any specific locations I live in northern California, The ocean at night, rivers and creeks any running water puts me in a vibratory state as long as no one is around.
Do you mean northern like up near the OR coast, or more like as opposed to southern CA? In any case I think Northern CA is gorgeous.

Yes! The beauty of the American West is so sublime. The landscapes make me feel transported to another world...

... My "places":

The ocean, anywhere, but I particularly have a place in my heart for Point Lobos in California
Any of the National Parks in southern Utah, but perhaps particularly Zion National Park
Yellowstone National Park
Carmel! Monterey Bay area is wonderful IMO. I've heard that at least parts of southern UT are amazingly gorgeous, though haven't been there, or to Yellowstone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do you mean northern like up near the OR coast, or more like as opposed to southern CA? In any case I think Northern CA is gorgeous.
I live in the Sacramento area Its close to a lot of vacation/camping areas which is nice but I don't vacation as much as I'd like to. I went camping at Point Reyes extremely scenic hike about 5 miles to the ocean which was nearly deserted (probably because its a 5 mile hike) Beautiful place lots of variety. I'm kind of sick of California weather tho I really like balmy weather, rain, thunderstorms, clouds anything but hot days and clear skys.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
The first time I saw a desert: I was standing by an entrance to an ancient tomb in Egypt, by the pyramids, with the desert on one side and tourists on the other. The vastness and quietness of the desert held me suspended in a state of enchantment. I zoned out of the hustle and bustle of the people taking photos and what not and felt a pull toward the sandy dunes. The quietness was astounding. No sound.

On a ship, in a storm, on my way to Cape Verde. The ocean takes on a different quality there. More primal and pungent in it's "oceanness". Lol. For the lack of a better description. I really felt electrified by the sheer forces of nature and the roar of the ocean. It was intense but beautiful.

Strolling down the hill by the side of a creek with my husband in South Carolina, (I think that's where we stopped). It was a little cookie cutter town. We'd stopped for some catfish. The lush summery garden was bathing in golden sunlight. The old trees and the flowers in full bloom with all the colours and textures, dreaming of a future together. I was very happy.

When I was still in art school I had a heightened awareness of colour and form. Everywhere I went, wether to a park or walking past a construction site, textures and shades everywhere. :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
A few things evoke strong emotions for me. Not just locations or nature, but very specific experiences sometimes.

1. The Canadian Shield: I'm not sure how to explain, but an inherent sense of being connected to all life and all history. It's lovely and overwhelming at the same time.

2. Traditional Chinese Dance: I saw this performed a while ago, and spent the entire time in tears. It didn't really come from a thought process; it was an overwhelming reaction over which I felt I had no control.

3. Religious Music (e.g. Gregorian chant): I'm not particularly religious, but for some reason this sort of thing also seems to bring about strong responses.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Usually the more interesting and beautiful i found a place that i've been to, the more idiotic i sound when i try and describe my appreciation for said place. :laughing: I definitely understand what you're saying.

I often find myself captivated by the beauty of my surroundings.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I can completely relate to the experience of the beauty just permeates my soul.

I see beauty and feel it. It seems to be when i am living in the moment and in peace and acceptance of my life and who i am which is happeneing more and more often lately.

waimea canyon hawaii
The beach
the sky
water and light and the reflections
the sun shining through the trees
birds
smiles
I will stop here..I could go on though

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,507 Posts
I wrote this last week - "Trying to sip vast beauty through a straw is me drinking in the wonders that You draw."

I live in Jersey but the part where I live has lots of trees though a few towns over may not be so nice. It is very nice is this area and I am amazed by the beauty of it and there's so many birds. I was away for five years so I guess I forgot how many birds and rabbits there are here. I feel like I'm experiencing a piece of heaven sometimes.

Other places I thought were pretty - San Diego, Maine, Niagara Falls, Virginia.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The other day I were by the sea during sunset. The wind was still and these little fish begun to jump out of the water to catch tiny insects. They didn't jump very high, sometimes just partly appeared from the water. They were everywhere and I went closer to see if I could see them swimming under water. So many fish! the constant little splashing here and there, amazing. I stood still, smiling, and just watched what was happening. So beautiful! For a moment I felt like there were no me. There were only the splashing fish and pure joy.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The other day I were by the sea during sunset. The wind was still and these little fish begun to jump out of the water to catch tiny insects. They didn't jump very high, sometimes just partly appeared from the water. They were everywhere and I went closer to see if I could see them swimming under water. So many fish! the constant little splashing here and there, amazing. I stood still, smiling, and just watched what was happening. So beautiful! For a moment I felt like there were no me. There were only the splashing fish and pure joy.
Gorgeous!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts