• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
INFPS --

A little history...

This morning I was going through my movies (a subscription service) and I came across the film OLDBOY.

I watched the trailer. I have not seen the full movie. I probably will.

Through the years ... I have heard people say this was one of the most shocking movies they have ever seen, along the lines of "
wow, I wasn't expecting that...!!!!".

The movie is about REVENGE. N'est-ce pas?

Sooooooooo INFPs --

What about
you and REVENGE?

• Do you relish it?
  • Do you gain energy from participating in it?
  • Are you a master of planning revenge?
  • Would you win wars with your great strategies for revenge?
  • Is revenge necessary to keep one's sanity?
  • What keeps you from killing another person you hate?
  • Does revenge feel good?
  • To survive, is revenge on others the only way? Aren't there other choices?
  • Do the consequences of revenge taken on another, even matter in this life?
My answer inside:

My answer, that I might change, after I see this full movie, as possibly there is some shocking enlightenment contained within it, that I am not aware of at this point....but, yeah.....

...REVENGE ....

...I just can't do it. Can't plan it. It doesn't feel right to me. It doesn't feel good to me. It would drain me ... of "me" or what I see as "me" or what I want to be "me". It is not currently in my belief system. I have to live with myself and my choices and revenge is not a choice I want to take. It's too dark. Too wrong.

Wimpy revenge? Like ignoring the culprit or offender -- I can see myself implementing. I'm going to say this without having seen the movie, and yes, sure, it might be pretentious and blow-hardy, but I don't think I have an "Oh Dae-su" in me. Some will say.. "everyone has an Oh Dae-su in them" but do they really? Some will say .. pushed past the edge your Oh Dae-su will come out. But for some, is that really true?

I will shoot an intruder if armed.
I will press charges if violated.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
What about you and REVENGE?

• Do you relish it? I sorta do, but in the end I know its a temporary feel good.
  • Do you gain energy from participating in it? At first, but that bitterness will eventually eat you up.
  • Are you a master of planning revenge? "Revenge is a dish best served cold." This is a famous line. Meaning, at first the initial offender may be ready for it, braced for it. But, a little later when they aren't expecting it and you hit them with it, especially when their possible feelings of guilt have faded and things seem to be going good for them. Yes, they will feel it more. Thankfully, nobody has given me great reason to plot such revenge.
  • Would you win wars with your great strategies for revenge? Not sure about wars and revenge as that being the justifiable purpose. If we are talking about nations, sometimes retaliation is necessary to keep others from thinking you will be prey to them. But, I don't necessary think of it as revenge in the strictest sense.
  • Is revenge necessary to keep one's sanity? No. I think there is a difference between revenge and justice. It's complicated, but revenge in and of itself will not benefit sanity.
  • What keeps you from killing another person you hate? Multiple answers: God, the fact that I know I'm far from perfect myself, could be just a personality clash, laws and possible consequences.
  • Does revenge feel good? Initially, but it will not take away the hurt that is there, and in the heat of emotion, something in what transpired may not be taken into account.
  • To survive, is revenge on others the only way? Aren't there other choices? I think to survive as a society, justice has to be given for major wrongs inflicted. Example: Murder, there must be punishment. Most of all because there will be those who will only refrain from certain actions due to punishment. Higher ideals are not going to work with everyone, as sad as that is to say.
  • Do the consequences of revenge taken on another, even matter in this life? Yes. The hate behind vengeance can ultimately darken our own soul. The difference between justice and vengeance is in the purpose. Someone can not be allowed to go continue going around and hurting others, so justice must be given. Vengeance is for our own passionate feeling of wanting to inflict pain for the pain we feel.
Don't get me wrong. My basic instinct is protect myself and those I care about. If someone inflicts hurt, and the opportunity is there for dishing out vengeance within a relatively short amount of time, I don't know that I can control it. But, I know that is not necessarily right, and that in the long run getting past those feelings is healthier.

·
Premium Member
15,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wow, thank you for answering! Very interesting thoughts. Much to think on there.

Okay... I sort of cheated and watched a video called The hidden meaning of Old Boy, after I posted this thread. They showed the final scene in the snow. Still haven't seen the movie BUT now I'm thinking this main character needs to be arrested for all the people he killed. The boy broke the LAW!!! He killed, it looks like.

Don't kill me, just my opinion.

Thanks again @GusWriter !

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,484 Posts
Revenge is usually a bad idea. It consumes the person seeking it as easily as it does the target. There are some exceptions.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Wow, thank you for answering! Very interesting thoughts. Much to think on there.

Okay... I sort of cheated and watched a video called The hidden meaning of Oldman after I posted this thread. They showed the final scene in the snow. Still haven't seen the movie BUT now I'm thinking this main character needs to be arrested for all the people he killed. The boy broke the LAW!!! He killed, it looks like.

Don't kill me, just my opinion.

Thanks again @GusWriter !
Haven't seen the movie. My favorite revenge story is The Count of Monte Cristo. Been too long since i read the book to know if it was different, but the movie i watch about once a year. Really good!

·
Premium Member
15,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Count of Monte Cristo.... Really good!
I might give this a view ---- however, which one is the best version, IYHO?

Wikipedia lists all these:

C
The Count of Monte Cristo (1961 film)
The Count of Monte Cristo (1934 film)
The Count of Monte Cristo (1942 film)
The Count of Monte Cristo (1943 film)
The Count of Monte Cristo (1954 film)
The Count of Monte Cristo (1975 film)
The Count of Monte Cristo (1998 miniseries)
The Count of Monte Cristo (2002 film)
The Count of Monte Cristo (1912 film)
The Count of Monte Cristo (1913 film)
The Count of Monte Cristo (1956 TV series)
The Count of Monte Cristo (1964 TV series)
K
Karkottai
L
Long Days of Vengeance
M
Monte Cristo (1922 film)
Monte Cristo (1929 film)
P
Padayottam
The Prisoner of Château d'If
R
Raj Tilak (1958 film)
The Return of Monte Cristo (1968 film)
The Return of Monte Cristo (1946 film)
S
The Son of Monte Cristo
The Sword of Monte Cristo
T
The Treasure of Monte Cristo
V
Vanji Kottai Valipan
Veta
The Viscount of Monte Cristo
W
The Wife of Monte Cristo

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
@ Sily had no idea there were so many . . . Wife of Monte Cristo? Is that like Bride of Frankenstien? LOL. I was thinking of the 2002 Jim Caviezel version.

·
Premium Member
15,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahhh.. the 2002 version should be easy to find. Thanks!

(yeah, that wife one... strange.... lol )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts