Personality Cafe banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

ยท
Registered
INTJ8w9โญโญโญโญโญ๐ŸŒ€๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ–ค๐Ÿ–ค๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿค๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿงก๐Ÿงกโค๐—บ๐—ฒ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ตั•ฯƒฯ…โ„“๐”๐‘๐ƒ๐ˆ๐€๐๐’โ™กโšโ›“๐Ÿชแ’แ‘Œแ”•T แ—ชO YOแ‘Œแ–‡ แ—ทEแ”•T!
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

SELF-ARCHEOLOGY
Blog by DARIUS CIKANAVICIUS on Childhood Trauma, Narcissism, and Mental Health

After Childhood: From False Beliefs to Wholeness
By Darius Cikanavicius
Clothing Hair Mirror Mouth Eyelash

Many people who have been actively or passively hurt as children often ponder the perpetratorโ€™s motives and reasons behind it.

โ€œWhy did you hit me when I was so helpless and vulnerable?โ€

โ€œWhy didnโ€™t you want to spend more time with me?โ€

โ€œWhy didnโ€™t you treat me like a person?โ€

โ€œWhy did you demean and belittle me instead of encouraging and helping me?โ€

โ€œWhy did you yell at me so much?โ€

โ€œWhy didnโ€™t you care that I was hurt?โ€

โ€œWhy did you leave me alone with my troubles when I felt so overwhelmed and lonely?โ€

โ€œWhy werenโ€™t you a decent role model for me?โ€

โ€œWhy did you disregard my feelings, wants, and preferences?โ€

โ€œWhy didnโ€™t you care more?โ€

โ€œWhy didnโ€™t you love me?โ€

Children look for explanations of these things in order to make sense of it. Since putting responsibility on oneโ€™s caregivers is usually not allowed, the child internalizes it. Moreover, children are often explicitly blamed for being abused. And so โ€œthe explanationโ€ involves self-blame, and results in a shattered self-esteem and diminished or skewed self-worth.

โ€œI must have deserved it.โ€

โ€œIt was my fault.โ€

โ€œI donโ€™t matter.โ€

โ€œI was a bad, problematic child.โ€

โ€œI was annoying and disrupting you.โ€

โ€œIt helped me become more self-sufficient.โ€

โ€œIt wasnโ€™t that bad.โ€

โ€œEveryone goes through something like that.โ€

โ€œIโ€™m worthless.โ€

โ€œEveryone hates me.โ€

โ€œI didnโ€™t need them anyway.โ€

โ€œItโ€™s not important.โ€

โ€œI am unlovable.โ€

โ€œItโ€™s normal.โ€

Whatever beliefs a person has learned, they get carried into adulthood. As a result, the adult-child continues to deny or justify their painful experiences. And sometimes the person simply lacks a more rounded view, because if you grow up in a certain environment without any comparison or a different perspective, how would you know whatโ€™s normal and whatโ€™s not?

Some of those believes are explicit and conscious, others are subtle and completely out of a personโ€™s consciousness. Yet in my years of studying human psyche and behavior and working with people all over the world with various degrees of adverse childhood experiences, I have encountered so many of these invisible wounds and false beliefs. To be perfectly honest, I havenโ€™t met or observed anybody who hasnโ€™t exhibited it in one form or another (including myself).

It takes a lot of awareness, honesty, and self-work to accurately identify and effectively resolve these false beliefs, and overcome the problematic emotions and unwanted behaviors that stem from them.

After going through some healing and personal growth, these beliefs are slowly replaced by more realistic ones.

โ€œI didnโ€™t deserve it.โ€

โ€œHaving been abused was not my fault, so I donโ€™t feel guilty.โ€

โ€œItโ€™s not normal to be abused, so itโ€™s okay to feel angry about it.โ€

โ€œI am not ashamed of it because I did nothing wrong. Itโ€™s the perpetrator to whom the shame belongs.โ€

โ€œI am not less than others.โ€

โ€œI have both good qualities and shortcomings, but as a human being I am not inherently defective.โ€

โ€œPeople donโ€™t automatically hate me.โ€

โ€œIf someone dislikes me I am not going to die.โ€

โ€œEven if my caregivers didnโ€™t care enough or didn't love me, I love myself and care about myself now.โ€

Sometimes people try to convince themselves of these healthier, more realistic beliefs, but until it connects not just on an intellectual but also on an emotional level the person still feels and acts in the old, familiar ways. Oftentimes there is a back-and-forth period where these things are starting to connect, but itโ€™s not quite there yet.

Again, it takes time, work, and effortโ€”but when it actually clicks, then it clicks forever.

What false beliefs do you have or had in the past? How did it affect your self-esteem? What behaviors did it result in? What helped you overcome it? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below or write about it in your personal journal.

Support my work by becoming a Patreon subscriber for $5/mo or more and get access to bonus articles. And check out my book Human Development and Trauma: How Childhood Shapes Us into Who We Are as Adults. Thanks!

facebook sharing button
linkedin sharing button

pinterest sharing button

twitter sharing button

sharethis sharing button

awareness child abuse false beliefs healing repression self-doubt self-esteem
Comments

1. cdt27September 1, 2020 at 2:42 PM
    Hi, you say "...Again, it takes time, work, and effortโ€”but when it actually clicks, then it clicks forever." My question is, "What is the work?"

Post a Comment

MOST POPULAR POSTS
8 Reasons Why People Deny Childhood Trauma and Its Results

By Darius Cikanavicius
Why do people think they had a good, normal childhood, or deny childhood trauma and its results altogether? I often hear people say things like: My childhood was normal. Yes, there were some good things and some bad things โ€“ but that's life. My mother got sad, distant, or angry when I didn't perform well or acted badly, and my father sometimes hit me with a belt โ€“ but it was for my own good. All of this helped me to become a better person โ€“ and I'm thankful for it. Yes, sometimes I feel depressed, very lonely, or empty โ€“ but we all feel like that. My parents were strict, but they loved me and I turned out fine. Yes, some people experienced a lot of abuse growing up, but I was never traumatized, and I don't have any inner wounds. I look at people, and I can very easily see the symptoms of childhood trauma. I see children being abused, and I see grownups with numerous inner wounds that resulted from being traumatized. Itโ€™s obvious to me. I see chil
READ MORE
Character Assassinationโ€”and How to Handle It
By Darius Cikanavicius
Those of us who have encountered people with narcissistic, predatory, or even sociopathic tendencies (for the sake of simplicity referred to as manipulator ) have experienced a phenomenon where the manipulator tries to vilify you by using triangulation , gossiping, power play, mischaracterization, and other tactics. It usually goes like this.... The Mechanism Behind It The manipulator is driven by shame, insecurity, and fear. As soon as they start feeling inferior, or as soon as you notice the manipulator's toxicityโ€”or as soon as they notice you noticing their toxicityโ€”they begin feeling deep insecurity. In their attempt to manage it, they may try to cover their tracks and save their image by giving you made up explanations and excuses, instead of recognizing their unhealthiness and working on themselves to overcome it. If you are able to see though their smoke and mirrors tactics, ideally you will either set a firm boundary and distance yourself from them or they wi
READ MORE
Narcissism (Part 3): How Narcissists Act When Feeling Upset or Threatened
By Darius Cikanavicius
To understand this article better, it is highly recommended to read the previous two titled Narcissism: What It Is and Isnโ€™t and Narcissism and Self-Esteem . Narcissistic Phases and Tactics: Two Examples 1. Close relationships (romantic, familial, friendship, acquaintanceship) If you are unwilling or unable to provide narcissistic supply anymore, the narcissistic individual will feel wronged because, for them, you only exist to give them what they want. And since they feel entitled to what they want, they believe that your refusal is an act of aggression against them. Often this formula disregards reality, but to them, it is real. To deal with this and all the emotions that come with it, then, the narcissistic person will behave a certain way. The mechanism narcissists use is sometimes described as the Drama Triangle , which consists of three roles: the Victim, the Persecutor, and the Rescuer. Now, there are two versions of the triangle: the objective one and the narciss
READ MORE
Blog Archive

1 - 1 of 1 Posts