Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've taken three different Enneagram tests and got different results every time.
The most common results are 1, 4, and 6 (not sure what order). I see qualities of myself in most of the types actually, but I don't identify completely with any of them. I can see a little 3 and 5 as well. The type that is least like me is 8. I'm not a 7 or a 2. Not optimistic or complacent enough to be a 9.

Feel free to ask me any additional questions. Would love an outside perspective.

Main Questions

1. What drives you in life? What do you look for?
For most of my life I have been driven to do the right thing, the good thing, the best thing. I sometimes feel convinced that if I just think a little harder, search my soul a little more, I will figure out the formula for a great life (and I’m rolling my eyes at myself even as I write this). I haven’t found it yet, but I’ll let you know when I do :p I am curious about the world and love learning for learning’s sake (I am most interested in languages, literature, psychology, the arts, sciences—mainly biology and health). I also seek out ways to be moved, to feel awe—a piece of art, a passage, a landscape, a conversation. I look for rich experiences and people who are interested in a deep connection and mutual growth.

2. What do you hope to accomplish in your life?
It varies. There are times when I think my only goal is to be happy, that I’d be perfectly content with a simple life: starting a family, working honestly, traveling and appreciating the richness of the world, growing old wisely and gracefully. At other times, I fear mortality and desire to achieve some sort of posterity. I often dream of accomplishing something great and memorable and realize that would take great personal sacrifice. When I imagine achieving some sort of fame, it is always posthumous. I don’t have any attraction to celebrity.

3. What do you hope to avoid doing or being? What values are important to you?
I hope to avoid being mean, spiteful, vindictive, petty, shallow, stupid, lazy, and overly pessimistic (always have trouble with this last one!)

I value integrity, depth, authenticity, harmony, and compassion.

[/I]4. What are your biggest fears (not including phobias)? Why?
I fear being useless, insignificant, inane, and obscure. I often feel like my accomplishments define and distinguish me, give me worth. I am definitely conscious of what others think of me, and want to feel special in some way.

5. How do you want others to see you? How do you see yourself?
I want others to see me as brilliant, accomplished, admirable, artistic, enigmatic, compassionate, insightful, wise, graceful, kind. I see myself as perceptive, intelligent, earnest, and sensitive. I think I have the tendency to be self-absorbed and perfectionistic, which hinders my growth and causes me a lot of unnecessary suffering

6. What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?
I feel my best when my hard work has resulted in a significant insight or personal accomplishment, and also when I can express myself freely and honestly to connect genuinely with others. I feel my worst when I am disappointed in my failures or missed opportunities, or when others cause me to feel rejected, criticized, or betrayed.

7. Describe how you experience each of:
a) anger – I’ve always thought of myself as someone who doesn’t get angry easily. I’m beginning to see that in reality, I suppress a lot of my anger. I’m not comfortable with the emotion and feel deeply embarrassed if I ever let it loose. The primal, violent nature of anger frightens me a lot, and I find myself drawing away from people who are excessively angry and hostile.
b) shame – Shame is an emotion I am very familiar with. I am heavily influenced by an inner judge or critic and feel that in many ways, I can never quite stack up to what I feel I “should” be. I often feel embarrassed about something I’ve said, thought, felt, or failed to do.
c) anxiety – I seem to have trouble with obsession or fixation. I have an inordinate amount of anxiety when it comes to making decisions; I am always searching for the perfect solution, which obviously does not exist.

8. Describe how you respond to each:
a) stress - Several things happen when I am really stressed. 1. When I get really stressed I tend to fall apart. As stress accumulates, I try to ignore it until eventually I have to have some sort of emotional breakdown. It is necessary for me to let some of the tension loose, have a good cry or rant. If I don’t, I become overwhelmed and completely immobilized. 2. Stress can often help me accomplish great things. I am motivated by deadlines and spurred into action. Often a looming deadline is the only thing that allows me to cut ties with my perfectionism and good the job done. I can really turn out some great work under pressure. I have never missed a deadline or failed to complete a project.
b) unexpected change – I don’t like it at all. I often enjoy change when I am prepared for it, but I hate being blindsided. I am likely to complain about it and feel some level of anxiety about the unknown.
c) conflict – I don’t like conflict at all. I especially hate it with my loved ones. I’m getting better at talking through things with my boyfriend, but it is always so difficult. I sometimes feel embarrassed that I am upset about something, and want to always be fair. When it comes to working relationships, I am a bit more comfortable with it, especially when I feel I have to stand up for the integrity of the project. However, I would always want to be tactful and diplomatic.

9. Describe your orientation to:
a) authority – I am always respectful of authority. I know I can be trusted to do my own thing, and don’t expect the authority figure/entity to have any problems with me.
b) power – I have no attraction to possessing power. I simply want the freedom to do my own thing, because usually I feel like I’m the only one who will do things to my standards. I prefer for others to make the decisions, and don’t like bossing people around or even worrying about their performance. I can become uncharacteristically oppositional, however, if I feel one of my values is being violated.

10. What is your overall outlook on life and humanity?
My overall outlook is mostly positive, though I’ve been known to have an existential crisis or two. I think that life is an endlessly fascinating mystery.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Hello all,

I've taken three different Enneagram tests and got different results every time.
The most common results are 1, 4, and 6 (not sure what order). I see qualities of myself in most of the types actually, but I don't identify completely with any of them. I can see a little 3 and 5 as well. The type that is least like me is 8. I'm not a 7 or a 2. Not optimistic or complacent enough to be a 9.

Feel free to ask me any additional questions. Would love an outside perspective.

Main Questions

1. What drives you in life? What do you look for?
For most of my life I have been driven to do the right thing, the good thing, the best thing. I sometimes feel convinced that if I just think a little harder, search my soul a little more, I will figure out the formula for a great life (and I’m rolling my eyes at myself even as I write this). I haven’t found it yet, but I’ll let you know when I do :p I am curious about the world and love learning for learning’s sake (I am most interested in languages, literature, psychology, the arts, sciences—mainly biology and health). I also seek out ways to be moved, to feel awe—a piece of art, a passage, a landscape, a conversation. I look for rich experiences and people who are interested in a deep connection and mutual growth.
A sense of right and wrong, focus on why you think the way that you do, I think 6w7 is known to be as adventurous as you.

2. What do you hope to accomplish in your life?
It varies. There are times when I think my only goal is to be happy, that I’d be perfectly content with a simple life: starting a family, working honestly, traveling and appreciating the richness of the world, growing old wisely and gracefully. At other times, I fear mortality and desire to achieve some sort of posterity. I often dream of accomplishing something great and memorable and realize that would take great personal sacrifice. When I imagine achieving some sort of fame, it is always posthumous. I don’t have any attraction to celebrity.
Phobic 6's conservative approach of living a simple, peaceful life are present, but thoughts of going the opposite direction in a counter-phobic way and doing something memorable is a thought you have. As the basic drive of the 6 states, survival comes to mind of the 6 and you start to think of building posterity.

3. What do you hope to avoid doing or being? What values are important to you?
I hope to avoid being mean, spiteful, vindictive, petty, shallow, stupid, lazy, and overly pessimistic (always have trouble with this last one!)

I value integrity, depth, authenticity, harmony, and compassion.
I'm certain a 1 would have different words for how they do not want to be. 6s are know for troubleshooting, and "overly pessimistic" is something you have trouble not being. If not too phobic in their ways 6s seem to have quite a bit of drive.

[/I]4. What are your biggest fears (not including phobias)? Why?
I fear being useless, insignificant, inane, and obscure. I often feel like my accomplishments define and distinguish me, give me worth. I am definitely conscious of what others think of me, and want to feel special in some way.
6s are known to weigh others' trust and be very sensitive to cues to know what they're thinking. 6s in relationships often test their SO. The indecisiveness and fear of security bleeds through.

5. How do you want others to see you? How do you see yourself?
I want others to see me as brilliant, accomplished, admirable, artistic, enigmatic, compassionate, insightful, wise, graceful, kind. I see myself as perceptive, intelligent, earnest, and sensitive. I think I have the tendency to be self-absorbed and perfectionistic, which hinders my growth and causes me a lot of unnecessary suffering
You haven't struck me as a 3 up to this point, and 3s aren't often so blunt about the admiration and such due to experience of not wanting to seem like an egotist, so they're more suddle about such expressions. You don't strike me as immature, so I'm going to say not likely a 3, but a 6w7.

6. What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?
I feel my best when my hard work has resulted in a significant insight or personal accomplishment, and also when I can express myself freely and honestly to connect genuinely with others. I feel my worst when I am disappointed in my failures or missed opportunities, or when others cause me to feel rejected, criticized, or betrayed.
Hard work leading to significant insights. 6s are known to be rather uncertain of why they think the way they do because they're rather contradictory. The fact that accomplishments is shown second to that with so many signs of being a 6 makes me believe you are very unlikely to be a 3.

7. Describe how you experience each of:
a) anger – I’ve always thought of myself as someone who doesn’t get angry easily. I’m beginning to see that in reality, I suppress a lot of my anger. I’m not comfortable with the emotion and feel deeply embarrassed if I ever let it loose. The primal, violent nature of anger frightens me a lot, and I find myself drawing away from people who are excessively angry and hostile.
^ Definitely not a 1.

b) shame – Shame is an emotion I am very familiar with. I am heavily influenced by an inner judge or critic and feel that in many ways, I can never quite stack up to what I feel I “should” be. I often feel embarrassed about something I’ve said, thought, felt, or failed to do.
Well, if you're looking for a tritype preference here it is, type 3 shown above.

c) anxiety – I seem to have trouble with obsession or fixation. I have an inordinate amount of anxiety when it comes to making decisions; I am always searching for the perfect solution, which obviously does not exist.
Hmm... 1s are perfectionists in doing much more than thinking. 6s could have such indecision and perfectionism focused on thought, and that contributes to their doubtful tendency.

8. Describe how you respond to each:
a) stress - Several things happen when I am really stressed. 1. When I get really stressed I tend to fall apart. As stress accumulates, I try to ignore it until eventually I have to have some sort of emotional breakdown. It is necessary for me to let some of the tension loose, have a good cry or rant. If I don’t, I become overwhelmed and completely immobilized. 2. Stress can often help me accomplish great things. I am motivated by deadlines and spurred into action. Often a looming deadline is the only thing that allows me to cut ties with my perfectionism and good the job done. I can really turn out some great work under pressure. I have never missed a deadline or failed to complete a project.
Sounds like a typical 6 response, they're known for having that "Too much pressure" feeling when things get heated up. 1s may say they did all they could and grow frustrated. I don't know how 4s act, but you've shown little sign of being one of those.

b) unexpected change – I don’t like it at all. I often enjoy change when I am prepared for it, but I hate being blindsided. I am likely to complain about it and feel some level of anxiety about the unknown.
c) conflict – I don’t like conflict at all. I especially hate it with my loved ones. I’m getting better at talking through things with my boyfriend, but it is always so difficult. I sometimes feel embarrassed that I am upset about something, and want to always be fair. When it comes to working relationships, I am a bit more comfortable with it, especially when I feel I have to stand up for the integrity of the project. However, I would always want to be tactful and diplomatic.

9. Describe your orientation to:
a) authority – I am always respectful of authority. I know I can be trusted to do my own thing, and don’t expect the authority figure/entity to have any problems with me.
b) power – I have no attraction to possessing power. I simply want the freedom to do my own thing, because usually I feel like I’m the only one who will do things to my standards. I prefer for others to make the decisions, and don’t like bossing people around or even worrying about their performance. I can become uncharacteristically oppositional, however, if I feel one of my values is being violated.

10. What is your overall outlook on life and humanity?
My overall outlook is mostly positive, though I’ve been known to have an existential crisis or two. I think that life is an endlessly fascinating mystery.
Due to your uncaring attitude about power and non-aggressive approach to matters, which would probably be part of being heavily CP for a 6, you're probably not consider having an 8 as a tritype preference. I think others who believe in tritype would probably say you have a 1 in the tritype because you emphasize an opinion about what is right and wrong and care about the matter. This makes you a 6-1-3 in their eyes and my interpretation of your ways.

6w7 SP

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the insight. I definitely see a strong 6 influence, particularly when it comes to the general amount of anxiety, desire for safety and security, and the tendency to overcommit myself and spread myself too thin. I feel very 1ish in my perfectionism and conscientiousness, but tend to enjoy the big picture way more than the details. I think you are right that it is in my tritype but not my main type. I haven't thought of myself as especially 3ish mostly because I don't feel outgoing enough. I know a lot of strong 3s who are all entrepreneurs and I think I am way less interested in networking and advertising myself so to speak. I'm also not likely to cut corners like most 3s I know. I think it's definitely possible that I have 3 in my tritype though.

A general question about 4s. I've thought of myself as 4ish mostly because I am so emotional and sensitive (I cry very easily for instance). I am prone to depression, mostly when i get overwhelmed, though I've definitely never been to the depths of despair (ie feeling suicidal). I also consider myself an artist, though I don't think I'm especially creative, at least not in any avant garde/visionary way. My perfectionism prevents me from being truly creative and I'm more comfortable working within a framework/ with guidelines. I like to stand out and be recognized, but I am always cognizant of fitting in with the crowd as well. I guess my main question is, is it possible for other types to be very emotional? I think the fact that I feel very sensitive and am interested in the arts tends to skew me towards a 4 but I'm not sure.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Thanks for the insight. I definitely see a strong 6 influence, particularly when it comes to the general amount of anxiety, desire for safety and security, and the tendency to overcommit myself and spread myself too thin. I feel very 1ish in my perfectionism and conscientiousness, but tend to enjoy the big picture way more than the details. I think you are right that it is in my tritype but not my main type. I haven't thought of myself as especially 3ish mostly because I don't feel outgoing enough. I know a lot of strong 3s who are all entrepreneurs and I think I am way less interested in networking and advertising myself so to speak. I'm also not likely to cut corners like most 3s I know. I think it's definitely possible that I have 3 in my tritype though.

A general question about 4s. I've thought of myself as 4ish mostly because I am so emotional and sensitive (I cry very easily for instance). I am prone to depression, mostly when i get overwhelmed, though I've definitely never been to the depths of despair (ie feeling suicidal). I also consider myself an artist, though I don't think I'm especially creative, at least not in any avant garde/visionary way. My perfectionism prevents me from being truly creative and I'm more comfortable working within a framework/ with guidelines. I like to stand out and be recognized, but I am always cognizant of fitting in with the crowd as well. I guess my main question is, is it possible for other types to be very emotional? I think the fact that I feel very sensitive and am interested in the arts tends to skew me towards a 4 but I'm not sure.
Riso-Hudson described 6s to switch between the Feeling and Instinctive center to act on, and I'm uncertain what exactly that means, but they aren't known to be particularly distant from emotions.

You should go into the type 6 forum to talk about emotionality. There is nothing about the type which makes them distant from their emotions, so I would say they can become very emotional.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts