Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to figure out my friends gut type with his corresponding wing, but to no avail.

He is a perfectionist and cares a great deal about self improvement. However, he doesn't do it for moral reasons and doesn't consider himself immoral if he doesn't do the right thing. My friend follows rules if its to his benefit and doesn't mind cutting corners to get ahead. Also, he keeps his anger in until it explodes out. Furthermore, he doesn't relate to the core fear of enneagram type 1.

As for enneagram 9, he doesn't openly express his anger, but he's not afraid of his anger. He's extremely assertive,but in an argumentative way. He's not afraid to disturb the peace if something irrational is said or, if he's taken advantage of. Furthermore, my friend never goes out looking for a fight, in fact he hates confrontations. If he is threatened however, he is fearless in an enneagram 8 way.
Out of all the gut types, he relates strongest to the core fear of enneagram 8. He values his autonomy to a fault and rarely, if ever seldom asks for help. Moreover, he rarely expresses his anger in 8 fashion. Instead his anger is bottled up, until he explodes in a fit of rage lol! He is more passive aggressive than, directly confrontational. Suffice to say that he is brutally honest in arguments and loves calling out peoples bs. He is insecure about being vulnerable to other people and as a result he puts a wall. Nonetheless, he's not physically assertive like most 8's. He picks and chooses his battles, as opposed to more 8's. He is deeply bothered by injustice and seeing weaker being taken advantage of, burn him to the core. His assertiveness is more argumentative, than demonstrative. While he generally follows rules, he's not moralistic about and makes exceptions for himself and others to break rules.

I would really appreciate anyone's input, thanks again!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like 9w8 and the perfection might just be type 8's unwillingness to show weakness
I suggested type 9w1 or 1w9, but he doesn't seem to relate to any of gut types. I personally think that his core type 5w6 and second type 3w4 makes him hard to type.

He's perfectionistic, has an inner critic, and gets angry when he makes a mistake like a one. He keeps his anger internally, but after a certain point it comes out. He is not a particularly principle person, nor is he moralistic about his believes. He cares more about objectivity and being right, than being moral. He told me that his inner critic is usually judging himself and others. He follows rules because of the consequences of not following rules. Nonetheless he isn't afraid to cut corners to get something done efficiently. He's passive on the outside and assertive internally.

He is very lazy and has trouble saying no, but he doesn't have an issue being argumentative with, in fact he relishes it. He likes owning people in debates. He is not afraid of his anger and seems very aware of it. He doesn't like shouting marches or physical confrontations. Unlike 9s, he's extremely opinionated and doesn't any away from an intellectual debate.

He doesn't openly express his anger like a 8, but he's always aware of the power dynamics in a group. He's not interested in controlling people, he just doesn't want to be controlled himself. He is also not a natural leader and cares a great deal about how others view him. He's not outwardly assertive or power hungry like most 8s. He's very direct and to the point and doesn't mind calling out people's bs.

What do you think?

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Everything you say is 8w9 or 9w8 for gut type. But that is only gut type. From what you say it is hard to discern his main type or tritype. I do see a LOT of type 6 resonance in what you said.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hmm this seems very familiar to myself and I think I am an 8w7, people online often contest this, but I am quite sure myself. I am a lot more considerate that the standard stereotype 8, so many people put me in the one type. Having read about both 8 and 1 extensively, online and in books, I just don't recognise myself in 1. Of course there are similarities, but when reading 8 i truly feel understood, while 1 is meh.

I do not think that to be an 8 you should be void of fear or self doubt.

Okay this may sound very arrogant, but I am just going to be open about it.
I sometimes feel like I am just a bit more intelligent than the standard 8, the things I read in their life stories are sometimes just so over the top stupid. Yes I do feel alot of anger, I am impulsive and act tough, but I take everything I do in consideration. This is my way of the 8 environmental control.

It pisses me off that so many people claim I cant be the type I tested myself to be, just because I think about the consequences of my actions. Isn't doing that just common sense, and independent from which type you are.

I am sorry for this extreme response, I am just, well, quite pissed lol.

·
Registered
275 Posts
You said you're trying to figure out his gut type? As in fix or core?

And what is his core type (or fixes) if you know it? Since that would affect in spades how his anger manifests.

·
Registered
ENTJ 8w9
1,774 Posts
I've been trying to figure out my friends gut type with his corresponding wing, but to no avail.

He is a perfectionist and cares a great deal about self improvement. However, he doesn't do it for moral reasons and doesn't consider himself immoral if he doesn't do the right thing. My friend follows rules if its to his benefit and doesn't mind cutting corners to get ahead. Also, he keeps his anger in until it explodes out. Furthermore, he doesn't relate to the core fear of enneagram type 1.

As for enneagram 9, he doesn't openly express his anger, but he's not afraid of his anger. He's extremely assertive,but in an argumentative way. He's not afraid to disturb the peace if something irrational is said or, if he's taken advantage of. Furthermore, my friend never goes out looking for a fight, in fact he hates confrontations. If he is threatened however, he is fearless in an enneagram 8 way.
Out of all the gut types, he relates strongest to the core fear of enneagram 8. He values his autonomy to a fault and rarely, if ever seldom asks for help. Moreover, he rarely expresses his anger in 8 fashion. Instead his anger is bottled up, until he explodes in a fit of rage lol! He is more passive aggressive than, directly confrontational. Suffice to say that he is brutally honest in arguments and loves calling out peoples bs. He is insecure about being vulnerable to other people and as a result he puts a wall. Nonetheless, he's not physically assertive like most 8's. He picks and chooses his battles, as opposed to more 8's. He is deeply bothered by injustice and seeing weaker being taken advantage of, burn him to the core. His assertiveness is more argumentative, than demonstrative. While he generally follows rules, he's not moralistic about and makes exceptions for himself and others to break rules.

I think he's an 8w9... What you're describing sounds a lot like myself.

I just want to add a number of things regarding type 8 and 8w9 in particular, it's somewhat different from what is usually mentioned in type 8 descriptions. An 8w9 doesn't have the expansive aggressiveness that is usually imagined about 8s. The anger isn't necessarily bottled up, but usually there's no reason to be angry. 8s aren't yelling machines, 8w9s even less so :) Also, 8s aren't necessarily physically assertive. just because I like to dominate spaces in the metro, doesn't make me physically assertive. I do it gently by taking more space, as I am bored :) But yes, 8w9s may seem passive aggressive, but can also turn downright aggressive when we are attacked. Also, 8s can choose their battles wisely, if they're intelligent enough. 8s don't usually walk on the street looking for a fight. But if one arises, maybe I'll take them up on that challenge... maybe, since it depends what I gain by winning :)

There are a number of stereotypes about 8s which aren't real, especially regarding 8w9s who are more peaceful, until you attack them. Also, type descriptions should be interpreted as follows: say the description says "8s are domineering"... I don't see myself as being like that, but I am more so than the average person, and even then, only in specific situations... Type descriptions use too many absolute words: expansive, domineering, conquering... The reality is less flashy, than the descriptions would imply... Unhealthy 8s are indeed aggressive for no reason and do seem to be real-life stereotypes, but overall 8s aren't like that.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Katherine Chernick Fauvre talks about the E8 and E1 in this vid.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Also, this is very low on the pecking order if it's not his main type if his gut type is 3rd it's a bit different. I am 6w7 but you don't really see much of that in me. You see the 3w2 more honestly. so, a main 9w8 works like this. I had a professor like this. he wasn't really one to back down, if you pushed him too much, but usually he was pretty easy to get along with. He could concede and just as easy say I did it to just shut her up. I think it also depended on magnitude. The thing he gave him on, was this one girl was in pursuit of 2 points. 9w1s are sweeter. As an 8 you step over them more, not because you want to but they don't assert themselves. the okay sure type of people, then you find out later, they meant no, but they're being nice. Some of them don't care. I know a few that are magnets for me an 8w7. Sort of hey you been neglecting to call me, or maybe you should come I miss you. Most of them like my assertiveness. I know a 9w8 who does that but I know fewer of those. I have a professor I mentioned above and he demanded why I didn't get over to his office hours. haha! It wasn't that I needed help in his class either, I got an a. He just liked me there. He wanted to see me, and no it's not that type of interest, he's married and there's no feelings for each other. I have a 9w1 friend who just goes with the flow and would probably do anything I said we should do within reason or his limits. I think depending on the tritype, I know this one guy will just kind of get us in the right mood by telling me everything he likes about me. hahaha! You also don't debate as long as the 9w8 if we had all day the said professor and I could go forever though he's a bit less passionate. I usually have to start the debate or he only does because he teaches a very controversial subject, political science. I don't think we've debated much, honestly. Usually also someone else starts the debate or he just challenges people because he wants to open them up to other perspectives less for the fun. I don't think in his personal life he likes debating too much. I honestly do most of the talking though he can do some, more than my 9w1 friend, in which I honestly ask questions and he answers them. I want a conversation but it's hard to get too much out of him, but then we don't share too much in common. That's a long story with my very passive 9w1 friend. I visit him because no one else will, basically.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts

sounds like an 8w7 to me... all of it. (as in, under the right circumstances, all of this could possibly apply to 8w7)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I do not think that to be an 8 you should be void of fear or self doubt.
This is absolutely right. If you are an ExxJ you are going to have self doubt/insecurity, and the w7 means you're afraid of physical pain! It may take a few painful experiences to actually become afraid of physical fights but most 8w7's are, unless they think they can definitely win without suffering.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I suggested type 9w1 or 1w9, but he doesn't seem to relate to any of gut types. I personally think that his core type 5w6 and second type 3w4 makes him hard to type.

He's perfectionistic, has an inner critic, and gets angry when he makes a mistake like a one. He keeps his anger internally, but after a certain point it comes out. He is not a particularly principle person, nor is he moralistic about his believes. He cares more about objectivity and being right, than being moral. He told me that his inner critic is usually judging himself and others. He follows rules because of the consequences of not following rules. Nonetheless he isn't afraid to cut corners to get something done efficiently. He's passive on the outside and assertive internally.

He is very lazy and has trouble saying no, but he doesn't have an issue being argumentative with, in fact he relishes it. He likes owning people in debates. He is not afraid of his anger and seems very aware of it. He doesn't like shouting marches or physical confrontations. Unlike 9s, he's extremely opinionated and doesn't any away from an intellectual debate.

He doesn't openly express his anger like a 8, but he's always aware of the power dynamics in a group. He's not interested in controlling people, he just doesn't want to be controlled himself. He is also not a natural leader and cares a great deal about how others view him. He's not outwardly assertive or power hungry like most 8s. He's very direct and to the point and doesn't mind calling out people's bs.

What do you think?
A lot of what you wrote screams 1, most of the description has nothing of E8 and just some of E9. Aside from gut ones, is there any type he feels like he can resonate with, just to start?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts