Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In response to the recent article "10 Myths about Introverts" floating about lately, I felt the irrepressible need to explain the extroverts of the world. Read with enjoyment - and an open heart! :) ( I found this article online )

Myth #1 - Extroverts like to talk and can't be silent.

It's not so much that we LIKE to talk - but what we DON'T like. Which is awkward silence. This is what occurs when you put a bunch of introverts in a room who don't like making small talk! We like to "break the ice" and talk about anything and everything we can think of, just to avoid the awkwardness of everyone pretending not to be listening or looking at anyone else in the room. If others are talking and there's no awkwardness - we embrace the opportunity to stop brainstorming random and totally unnecessary subjects!

Myth #2 - Extroverts need to be the center of attention.

Need? No. We simply ARE, due to introverts not talking....er....excuse me...I believe it's refusing to "beat(ing) around the bush with social pleasantries". There we go. Or liking to spend an abundant amount of time in public. We end up being the center of attention by default!

Myth #3 - Extroverts enjoy public speaking.

Just because we are comfortable talking to YOU and the person standing next to you (and the next person that comes along), does NOT mean that we have any desire to talk to a room full of people at once. Our level of comfort in verbally communicating with others stops when they actually all stop to listen and do not respond. Must I use the word "awkward" again?

Myth #4 - Extroverts love meeting people.

Though we get our energy from being around others, do not mistake this for wanting to be the designated "new person" greeter. Being shoved towards a person that no one in the room knows is just as uncomfortable for us, as it is for introverts. However - unlike introverts - we don't know how it is possible to make friends WITHOUT first going through the inevitable "small talk" phase that introverts hate so much. So we push through the hesitation and discomfort and just do it. (Think about it, introverts - your closest friends are extroverts who did exactly what you think is unnecessary to do in public, aren't they?? AREN'T they?!)

Myth #5 - Extroverts don't want to be alone.

How would you know? You only see us when we're around you. :)

Myth #6 - Extroverts have a lot of energy.

Trust me on this one. We. do. not. exert. any. energy. at. home. YOU give us energy! Isn't that the biggest compliment in the world? We are ONLY energetic when we are around you! We love getting to know you, and finding out more about you, and spending time with you! Woo-hoo....I'm getting more energy just thinking about thinking about you! It doesn't have to be in big groups, either. Extroverts just enjoy spending time with someone other than themselves.

Myth #7 - Extroverts don't need time to recharge.

Our recharge is faster than your recharge. Not to sound arrogant or anything. Nothing to brag about, really. Well...it kinda is. Do you remember the last time an extrovert excused themselves to the potty? Yep - that's all it takes. Really. We excuse ourselves, head on down to the john, and let everything that's going on sink in. Then we're ready for round 2!

Myth #8 - Extroverts are not shy.

We can be. *buries face in jacket*

Myth #9 - Extroverts don't have close friends, but a lot of acquaintances.

Here's the thing. We are capable of being interested in more than 5 people at one time on a deeper level. However - we still invest the majority of our emotional baggage in a few lucky individuals - just like you introverts do. I just think we prepare ourselves with back-ups in case our emotions get smashed by close friends we shared them with! Who wants to be left all alone when a close friend moves on or away???? Oh. That's right. Introverts do.

Myth #10 - Extroverts don't care what others think.

The biggest myth of them all! Extroverts have self-confidence issues just as you do! When people look at us across the room, we wonder if they're approving our newest clothing ensemble or simply checking out the fresh pimple beside our nose. The difference is - we typically just ask them! I mean, don't introverts "want everyone to just be real and honest"? What better way than to verbally confirm their suspicion??

·
fire breathing dragon
2,810 Posts
1. I love silence especially when you can convey your meaning to another people without words. I think expressions in eyes, body language, mannerisms say a lot about a person and would prefer to be with someone silently.

2. Being the center of attention is too burdensome. People who need to be the center of attention are just fostering an insecurity. I dont think it has anything to do with extroversion.

3. I don't mind it, but I don't go out of my way to do it.

4. I absolutely hate meeting new people and I hate having the social obligation of being nice to strangers thrust upon me.

5. I love being alone, or silently being in the same room as someone else.

6. I get "energy" from a very interesting person/environment otherwise I turn inward for stimulation.

7. If Im not forced to engage the outside world or I have "down time'" in between interaction, Im usually in a state of "recharge".

8. Eh, this is the only one that doesn't too much apply to me. I can be shy in situations where I am the newest person. But it doesn't last long and I can push through that shyness.

9. I would love to have like 5 good friends and a limited number of relevant acquaitences but it hasn't worked out that way. Apparently being sx dom causes me to need a strong bond with friends and lovers or else I see no point in considering them a friend.

10. Lol. I certainly don't. Maybe at a very very basic human level I do. Though overall not one fuck is usually given to other people or their opinions. Must be why people call me cold and arrogant.

This list has led me to believe I am more introverted than extroverted. The only time I seek outside stimulation is when it is very interesting, intense and can keep me engaged over a fair portion of time. Otherwise, I'd rather be sitting somewhere quietly thinking.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Me likey.

I disagree with some of the finer points, I'm pretty sure that's a personal thing, but the overall thing is excellent.

I think the biggest misconception about extroverts is that they're always excited, chatty, loud, and (dare I say it?) a bit obnoxious. Everyone has the capacity to be quiet & reflective; extroverts are no different. The only extroverts I've met who absolutely abhored silence (awkward or no) were insecure & had personal demons they needed to deal with.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think the biggest misconception about extroverts is that they're always excited, chatty, loud, and (dare I say it?) a bit obnoxious. Everyone has the capacity to be quiet & reflective; extroverts are no different. The only extroverts I've met who absolutely abhored silence (awkward or no) were insecure & had personal demons they needed to deal with.
I agree... I enjoy silence and I like sometimes not having to be the one who has to talk. I also enjoy bringing books or my computer to cafes, walking around and exploring without interacting with people, or just spending time by myself. I get SUPER energized by people, but I also love chilling out, too. Extroverted does not equal LOUD... for sure.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
I think ENXPs are the types least likely to seek social interaction, since they don't need people to use their Ne function. I knew this ENFP girl who was extremely quiet and would always be reading. No one dared to approach her because people thought she was weird and anti-social. However, one time we started talking on the bus stop, and boy, was I surprised to see how much of that Ne was there lurking behind her quiet demeanor, it was crazy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I completely agree with most all the myths here. I used to sometimes question if I was truly extroverted.

I prefer small groups of friends, I hate talking in public (there are too many people to read and again, its crazy awkward silences).

I'm never the first to talk when meeting someone new. I let them reveal something about theirself before I talk (thats me trying to get on their level.)

I hate being the center of attention. I absolutely prefer one on one or small groups where I can get on everyone's level. And yes, I can absolutely be shy. I think that surprises people that once I get to know them very well, then see how talkative/engaging I am.

That being said, people do energize me no doubt. Also, I personally recharge and am able to resolve more of my internal issues by talking it out with others.

I absolutely need downtime, or a nap to shut off for awhile. But when I'm out of my downtime or finished napping, I can't wait to go spend sometime with close friends.

I actually like being alone sometimes, nothing is better than a quiet evening watching a movie or just not interacting at all with anyone.

As far as extroverts don't care what you think, thats a absolute myth. I don't ever stop thinking about others feelings/motivations/needs. But thats the EXFJ in me I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Myth 7...oh no, not for me, my mental 'battery' totally goes to negative percentage after chattering with other extroverts. Others are true, but I need some time to reflect and react and think. Oh again, that's cause I'm an ENFP.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I think ENXPs are the types least likely to seek social interaction, since they don't need people to use their Ne function. I knew this ENFP girl who was extremely quiet and would always be reading. No one dared to approach her because people thought she was weird and anti-social. However, one time we started talking on the bus stop, and boy, was I surprised to see how much of that Ne was there lurking behind her quiet demeanor, it was crazy.
That girl could have been me. My Ne surprises people but I'm open to a discussion with anyone as long as they initiate it.

This list is perfect, I wondered if I was truly extroverted and I clearly am. I'm just shy.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think this could apply to more ENFP than people are aware of. Through high school i was very shy, by the time i got to University i had become somewhat more approachable, although not fully. I worked in a social place paying my way through school, i did this so i could become more social, as i could have also worked in places that were much more low keyed. I'm still quite shy today outside of my inner circle, many would think i was introverted unless they really know me. I often said that ENFP can shock people with who they are at the core. It feels like i pick and choose who sees that side of me.

·
His Majesty
12,625 Posts
I think this could apply to more ENFP than people are aware of. Through high school i was very shy, by the time i got to University i had become somewhat more approachable, although not fully. I worked in a social place paying my way through school, i did this so i could become more social, as i could have also worked in places that were much more low keyed. I'm still quite shy today outside of my inner circle, many would think i was introverted unless they really know me. I often said that ENFP can shock people with who they are at the core. It feels like i pick and choose who sees that side of me.
That is me as well. I am pretty quiet when around others I don't know.... I was kinda quiet in high school as well.

·
Banned
59 Posts
So, according to this list here, introverts...

- Are awkward, incapable of making small talk (we also despise it and anyone who participates)
- Are ignorant of social niceties and general systems of socializing
- Are incapable of initiating friendships or conversations
- Are horribly drained from socializing in any way
- Have only a few friends and can't get new ones, ever
- Want everyone to be 'real and honest'

So... I'm gonna take a wild leap here and say that you don't like introverts because we don't refuel your narcissistic supply?

By the way, when us timid little introverts just can't seem to work up the courage to talk to you, it's not because we're shy, it's because we hate you with a fucking passion.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

- Are awkward, incapable of making small talk (we also despise it and anyone who participates)

So... I'm gonna take a wild leap here and say that you don't like introverts because we don't refuel your narcissistic supply?

By the way, when us timid little introverts just can't seem to work up the courage to talk to you, it's not because we're shy, it's because we hate you with a fucking passion.
Who is you as in you don't like introvertes ? And why are you so offended ?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

Personally, I didn't take offense to what MuChApArAdOx wrote at all, and I can't see any of the criticism you outline here implied directly or indirectly in her writing. There is a lot of love for introverts on this site. It's only good too see that our extroverted halves are asserting themselves as well in my opinion.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
I just wanted to add that much of your list can be generalized for ENFJ's as well.

My father is an ESTJ, and he also takes Sunday off every week to indulge in his "me-time" activities like gardening, watching TV and movies or planning for the upcoming week. I think if people took the time to observe behavioural patterns of everyone around, I think they'll really notice that the need to recharge is quite universal.

I can't speak for ESTP's, ENTJ's and ESTP's because I don't know many IRL.

However, I know a number of ESFJ's and they do have a lot of trouble being alone.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts