Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to give a bit of back-story, I work in Annapolis in a menial position as a document runner. I walk around town from the State, House and legislative services buildings and my own office building. As I go from place to place I've taken to asking myself at least 10 questions about my surroundings that I've never asked myself before. I come up with very strange questions and the answers to those often lead to new questions. Apart from being very fun and informative, I feel that this exercises my brain, and I like that.

I'd like everybody to give a list of observations they've made of things around them, or anything else really. I think this could make for some interesting conversations and hopefully new information. It doesn't have to be 10, but a few would be lovely. I suppose I'l start us off with a little something:

Bricks on a pathway; when adjoining adjacent paths meet at a non 90 degree angle, the bricks are perfectly cut to accommodate the strange angle at which they are meeting. My best guess for how that happens is that they are cut on-site as they are being laid. The alternative is that they were pre-cut before being shipped there in a dump truck for the brick layers to sort out among the thousands of bricks. I don't think that's likely, but I don't know how they cut them so well on-site.

Shed some light on my question and/or add your own.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
1) morning rush hour, people don't know how to drive
2) afternoon lunch hour, people don't know how to drive
3) 5 o'clock rush hour, people don't know how to drive
4) after the game downtown, people don't know how to drive
5) saturday nights getting into the city, people don't know how to drive
6) sunday all day, people don't know how to drive
7) forecasted sunny weekends for the beach, people don't know how to drive
8) holiday vacations where there's gridlock traffic to/from the city's on major roadways, people don't know how to drive
9) ...
10) the coming sign of the apocalypse, people don't know how to drive

does this count?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1) morning rush hour, people don't know how to drive
2) afternoon lunch hour, people don't know how to drive
3) 5 o'clock rush hour, people don't know how to drive
4) after the game downtown, people don't know how to drive
5) saturday nights getting into the city, people don't know how to drive
6) sunday all day, people don't know how to drive
7) forecasted sunny weekends for the beach, people don't know how to drive
8) holiday vacations where there's gridlock traffic to/from the city's on major roadways, people don't know how to drive
9) ...
10) the coming sign of the apocalypse, people don't know how to drive

does this count?
I guess it counts. It's more funny than informative though.

I also try to see, by what's on the ground, where people walk more often (cigarette ash, scuff marks (I've also been trying to figure out context to do with scuffs and scratches), etc), and where people stand (to wait for the trolly, frequent traffic (build up of gum in one area, cigarette butts, etc.).).

I like building up a stock of Holmesian observations like this.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They cut the bricks on-site. At least when I used to help my grandfather with tiles and bricks, we would use some very thin electric saw for that.
How measured is it? Do you guys just cut what looks right, or is it planned out?

·
Mastodon Hunter
8,093 Posts
How measured is it? Do you guys just cut what looks right, or is it planned out?
He would just use a ruler and a pencil to mark it... I'm not even joking. He had a ruler with some bubbles inside to measure the angles and he would mark it and cut it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
This does seem interesting. I have also tried to observe people and surroundings when I'm bored but tend to forget them.

Maybe I should carry a notepad to note any observation, ideas, etc... and maybe ponder upon them later? That seems to be a habit among older and more experienced INTPs...

·
Registered
899 Posts
What he says:
He would just use a ruler and a pencil to mark it... I'm not even joking. He had a ruler with some bubbles inside to measure the angles and he would mark it and cut it.
It's very simple, a small hand carried cutter/saw, has angular degrees on, real basic work, nothing amazing. As simple as digging a hole.
Source: I have personally cut and placed marble and tiles.

My observations:
- beggars are set in specific spots. I assume someone arranges the spot for a fee?
- when it is windy (even a little, not shaking cars), people drive more erratically than usually, even from inside their sturdy cars, like the air is messing with their brains to a noticeable degree.

Reactions: Sevchenko

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
Maybe I should carry a notepad to note any observation, ideas, etc... and maybe ponder upon them later? That seems to be a habit among older and more experienced INTPs...

Make sure you shave your head bald, wear a gray suit, a black tie, a hat, and carry a briefcase. That way, you'll fit right in with the observers / watchers like Fringe.... or the angels from Adjustment Bureau... or someone from the Untouchables.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
- when it is windy (even a little, not shaking cars), people drive more erratically than usually, even from inside their sturdy cars, like the air is messing with their brains to a noticeable degree.
I've noticed that one, it is very strange, especially on big highways.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also,

What are the color lines painted on water hatches and man holes and sometimes light posts? Different colors corresponding to..?

·
Registered
525 Posts
This does seem interesting. I have also tried to observe people and surroundings when I'm bored but tend to forget them.

Same thing. At times I start to observe certain people, or a group of people, people in general, my surroundings or certain things inside said environment.
Often I then start to wonder about what I'm observing, usually ending somewhere far far removed from that original observation/thought. I guess it might be a Ne thing?

But I always quickly forget.

Reactions: Strider95

·
Banned
5,394 Posts
I wonder why the hell people look down when they walk??? I tried it once and I felt so damned weird and out of place... and I couldn't tell where I was going either, almost ran into a car once...

I always like to look around and see what's going on. Then again, I'm a paranoid individual always on the lookout for the person that's out to kill me:unsure: But I also look for interesting things to tickle my fancy:tongue:

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
A bevel gauge?

·
Registered
3,641 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
The problem is most questions I have also have straightforward answers on the internet, which I have access to for most of the day. So I'll share an answer to a question I considered instead:

It also has some great machinery in it, such beautiful order to it all.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
I wonder why the hell people look down when they walk???
I always look down when I walk. Especially in conventions. On quite a few occasions, in separate instances, I found $1, $5, and $20 bill... many times dimes, nickels, and quarters too. Depending on if I feel like it, I'll pick up pennies.

Hell... I even went into a Target, and there was a few $20 bills sticking out the ATM machine... no one was looking 'down'... walked up... *yoink*... $80 for me.

That's not to say there are bad things that happen to.... i can remember at least twice in my life where I walked into a pole while reading a pamphlet or brochure.... back to back. =\

*If people look in the sky to catch fallen bills, I'll be aiming for the ones fallen to the ground which the crowd is hardly paying any attention to... that's how i look at it... also gotta be careful not to get trampled and stampede over though.*

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.