Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Netflix series

Hannah Baker - ESFJ? Definite unhealthy Fe-dom, and it's all her subjective experiences - Si.

Clay - ISXJ? I feel like he's getting lost in the details (Si), but less sure about a second function; Fe seems likely since he emotionally confronts others and often blames them prematurely (before hearing the tapes) based on objective evidence.

(His parents: ESFJ Mom, chill INTP dad.)

Jessica - ESFX? ESFP?

Justin - ESTP? Strong Se, seems to emphasize "logical solutions" over morality; fearful of what people might think (Fe)?

Tony - ISTJ? Seems old-fashioned (the car, his 60's getup), thinker, very Fi in refusing to relent or tell anything in advance.

Alex - ISFP?

Thoughts?

The journalist seems like an intuitive with Te; not much emotional respect going on - unhealthy INTJ? (Someday, you'll look back on this and thank me.)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hannah: ENFJ

Clay: ISFJ or possibly ISFP.

Clay's mom: ESFJ

Clay's dad: INTP

Tony: ISTP

Alex: IxFP

Jess: ESFP

Justin: ESTP

Skye: INFP

Ryan: INTJ

Zach: ESFP

Bryce: ESTx

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought ENFJ for Hannah at first, but as I got more into the show -- she was too trusting of guys, and let each subsequent encounter with one reinforce her beliefs about them as a stereotypical whole (negative Si); the tapes are all about her subjective experiences (Si), and she has no greater vision nor any insight into anyone else's motives (lacking Ni).

Tony... ISTP is interesting. Would one living in a time warp, where they drove a 1960's car, wore a 1960's haircut and jacket, and held onto a tape deck out of sentiment, though? Hence my Si-conclusion. ;)

I couldn't decide with Sky. She's mostly just... Fi.

Ugh, Bryce. I have a four letter word for him instead of a type. :p

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have a question. Is the show worth watching? I'm very sensitive when it comes to topics like the ones covered in the show, but i've seen that it's good.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I thought ENFJ for Hannah at first, but as I got more into the show -- she was too trusting of guys, and let each subsequent encounter with one reinforce her beliefs about them as a stereotypical whole (negative Si); the tapes are all about her subjective experiences (Si), and she has no greater vision nor any insight into anyone else's motives (lacking Ni).
In the first episode, she explained something along the lines of having had an idealistic vision of what she had wanted her first kiss to be like, so I thought that her being too trusting was caused by her having idealistic fantasies and ideas for things, which would make her more likely to be an N. I think that her getting to the point of throwing all guys into a negative category could have just been her reaction to having her idealistic visions shattered. Also, her poetry seems to be more of an N thing. While you're right that she doesn't really seem to have greater vision or insight into the motives of others, I'd still lean towards categorizing her as an ENFJ.
Tony... ISTP is interesting. Would one living in a time warp, where they drove a 1960's car, wore a 1960's haircut and jacket, and held onto a tape deck out of sentiment, though? Hence my Si-conclusion. ;)
I'm not sure if it's really out of sentiment; Tony wasn't alive during the 1960s, so he might just like the old-fashioned stuff for no reason other than liking it. Either way, I think he's pretty strongly on the P side. For example, I don't think a J type would be likely to decide to leave during school to take Clay rock climbing.
Ugh, Bryce. I have a four letter word for him instead of a type. :p
Yeah, I can think of a few.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a question. Is the show worth watching? I'm very sensitive when it comes to topics like the ones covered in the show, but i've seen that it's good.
I think it's good. It's well-made, the story is done well, and the characters are well-written. I will tell you, though, that some of the scenes with extreme situations are pretty graphic. It's a good show, but be advised that you might find some scenes to be really intense if you're sensitive to the topics.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the first episode, she explained something along the lines of having had an idealistic vision of what she had wanted her first kiss to be like, so I thought that her being too trusting was caused by her having idealistic fantasies and ideas for things, which would make her more likely to be an N.
Or she's a bookish Si who has read books, seen movies, etc., and has a romantic notion of what one's first kiss should be. Si's are just as capable of sentiment or idealistic fantasies -- and they may base them even more in noble archetypes from history (the knight, the maiden, etc) than a Ni, so I wouldn't type her as a Ni based on having a few ideas of what life SHOULD be like (since that's a bit Ne-ish anyway; why is real life like this? this sucks!).

I think that her getting to the point of throwing all guys into a negative category could have just been her reaction to having her idealistic visions shattered. Also, her poetry seems to be more of an N thing.
But... she didn't start writing it, until she attended a poetry "safe zone" and heard other poets. She didn't come up with the idea herself.

(My ESTJ mother loves poetry and enjoys writing it, so poetry... isn't type related.)

While you're right that she doesn't really seem to have greater vision or insight into the motives of others, I'd still lean towards categorizing her as an ENFJ.
That's allowed. :)

I saw more SiNe than NiSe, myself.

I'm not sure if it's really out of sentiment; Tony wasn't alive during the 1960s, so he might just like the old-fashioned stuff for no reason other than liking it. Either way, I think he's pretty strongly on the P side. For example, I don't think a J type would be likely to decide to leave during school to take Clay rock climbing.
While I can see ISTP in the sense that he COULD be analyzing everything continually and dealing with Hannah's tapes in a Ti/Fe way, I'm not sure an ISTP would adopt such a strong old-fashioned guy's persona. He seemed to me to be more subjective with what he thought about everything, somewhat inexpressive emotionally (Fi), and straightforward in "getting the job done" (Te). I can't really see any intuition in him of either stripe, so either there isn't much Ni there or his Ne is inferior. He's tricky, though.

If you're very sensitive, be careful. (SPOILERS?) There are two extremely graphic rape scenes, a graphic suicide scene (with lots of blood), another suicide off-screen, some nasty knock down fights, and a TON of bad language.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hannah: EXFJ?
Clay: IXTX
Alex: ISFP
Tony: IXTP? not sure
Bryce: DICK (the only one i'm 100% sure about)
Courtney: ESXJ
Jess: ESFP
Zach: ESXP? can't remember his character very well
Ryan: i've seen some people type him as ENTP but i'm not sure

·
Registered
160 Posts
Or she's a bookish Si who has read books, seen movies, etc., and has a romantic notion of what one's first kiss should be. Si's are just as capable of sentiment or idealistic fantasies -- and they may base them even more in noble archetypes from history (the knight, the maiden, etc) than a Ni, so I wouldn't type her as a Ni based on having a few ideas of what life SHOULD be like (since that's a bit Ne-ish anyway; why is real life like this? this sucks!).

But... she didn't start writing it, until she attended a poetry "safe zone" and heard other poets. She didn't come up with the idea herself.

(My ESTJ mother loves poetry and enjoys writing it, so poetry... isn't type related.)

That's allowed. :)

I saw more SiNe than NiSe, myself.
Yeah, I suppose that it's definitely possible that she simply adopted idealistic fantasies through what she saw in books, movies, and such, and sure, S types can like poetry. Anyway, she still seems more on the N side to me, but I understand what you're saying.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Clay: IXTX
What makes Clay seem like a T? I think that he's pretty clearly on the feeling side; the only reason that he takes so long to listen to the tapes is that he gets really emotional from listening to them (he explains this himself). I think that Clay is an ISFJ, but I can see arguments for him being an N or a P; I think he's definitely an IxFx though.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What makes Clay seem like a T? I think that he's pretty clearly on the feeling side; the only reason that he takes so long to listen to the tapes is that he gets really emotional from listening to them (he explains this himself). I think that Clay is an ISFJ, but I can see arguments for him being an N or a P; I think he's definitely an IxFx though.
i'm gonna be honest, i couldn't remember his character very well so you're probably right lol

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hannah: EXFX
Clay: IXFP
Mrs. Jenson: ESFJ
Mr. Jenson: INTP
Alex: ISFP
Courtney: ESFJ
Jessica: ESXP
Tyler: INTX
Tony: ISTP
Bryce:ESTX (Bastard)
Mrs. Baker:ESFJ
Mr. Baker: ISXJ
Zach: ESFP
Sheri: ESFJ
Ryan: XNTJ
Marcus: ESTJ
Skye: INFP

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm 4 episodes in, but this is what I've gathered:

Hannah - Could see ENXP or ESFJ. There is so much Ne there, though, so probably Ne dom.

Clay - IXTJ, can't see how he's a feeling type. Could maybe see the case for Fi, but even then.. no. He is completely removed from his feelings. Tertiary Fi makes sense to me. Fe-Ti is non-existent though.

Alex definitely seems like an ISFP.

Clay's dad seems like either an INFJ or INTP. Fe-Ti for sure, and an introvert. One of my favorite characters to watch at the moment.

I haven't paid much attention to the mom, but she seems like some SJ.

Haven't seen enough of everyone else yet to really say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Why would Zach be typed as an ESFP, when he seems to care about what others think of him and there are parts of him he is afraid to show because it may not make him "fit in". I think he has Fe-motivations more? He gives me a bit of an ISFJ vibe?

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,378 Posts
Clay is an ISxJ of some kind. No wonder he's such a boring sack of shit and I couldn't bear to watch the show after 3 episodes.
Well, that was just........typist?

Anyhow, I have a hard time typing fictional high school students nowadays because somewhere around ''Mean girls'' they decided to make every 16 year old high school student (especially girls) super smart, observant, witty and sarcastic, which really skewers with type. No to mention makes the whole thing unrealistic. I mean when we were in high school, we were all as dumb as a bucket of rocks, regardless of which type we grew up to be.

That being said, I'll still give my 2 cents after a few more episodes.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Well, that was just........typist?

Anyhow, I have a hard time typing fictional high school students nowadays because somewhere around ''Mean girls'' they decided to make every 16 year old high school student (especially girls) super smart, observant, witty and sarcastic, which really skewers with type. No to mention makes the whole thing unrealistic. I mean when we were in high school, we were all as dumb as a bucket of rocks, regardless of which type we grew up to be.

That being said, I'll still give my 2 cents after a few more episodes.
I was very witty and sarcastic...which meant I was not allowed to be part of any group and therefore ensamble cast.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts