Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fixation on intelligence and how intelligent I am. I work towards becoming a genius, but I'll never reach it because I'll never be good enough for myself. I am extremely self-conscious about it and makes my life terrible. I'm too stupid and I can never be good enough. I'm constantly suicidal over it. Help?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Well stop it then, stupid.

Seriously. I'm not kidding. You've made 'becoming intelligent' something that's worthwhile. Why? Perhaps you should investigate why. Perhaps you should investigate why you think it's so worthwhile. If it's worthwhile, why are you unhappy? Regardless of that, who is to say you're not already intelligent?

You're stuck thinking about how you want to change yourself = you're not good enough as you are = depression. Why not try accepting yourself for a change and seeing what you can accomplish as you are? Is it not better to do X than do nothing and merely dream of doing 1000 times X?

If at the end of life you spent the thing merely dreaming of becoming Y, you'll have wasted so many opportunities to do a myriad of things. Life is not about one thing. Stop making it so.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Your brain: It's not how big it is. It's what you do with it that counts.

Like so much else in life.

Oh, and "genius" is a label given by other people. If you spend your life worrying what other people think of you, that's a surefire path to misery.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
503 Posts
http://www.iqtest.dk/main.swf 104. How do you analyze and compare that?
The average population IQ is 100. But it varies by country and various parameters.

For a person like you who values intelligence, it is rather low - but do not lose hope if you are at the beginning of your quest.

Brain is like a muscle, it becomes better with exercise. More and more tests you will try, more and more you will become better, but be aware this does not automatically mean you become more inteligent. I think in the long run those exercises helps really your brain.

Intelligence is a positive value in itself, but in everyday life it is not so much useful. It depends on your job or field of study.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I think what anyone needs to know before they can help you is WHY do you prize being a genius so much? Also, do you know your enneagram type? This sounds like either a 3 or a 5 concern to be honest.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The average population IQ is 100. But it varies by country and various parameters.

For a person like you who values intelligence, it is rather low - but do not lose hope if you are at the beginning of your quest.

Brain is like a muscle, it becomes better with exercise. More and more tests you will try, more and more you will become better, but be aware this does not automatically mean you become more inteligent. I think in the long run those exercises helps really your brain.

Intelligence is a positive value in itself, but in everyday life it is not so much useful. It depends on your job or field of study.
But exercise can only do so much, right?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I'm not of the opinion that IQ can change. However, I am of the opinion that you can train and get better scores on IQ tests. Do that if you need, otherwise IQ is a pointless endeavor in the first place.

·
Registered
503 Posts
But exercise can only do so much, right?
In absolute terms, right.

But it is the sole way to become better, and for sure depending on your efforts and your will power, you can do really much compared to your starting conditions.

The golden rule for any beginner is not compare with the others but with what yourself were.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I have a fixation on intelligence and how intelligent I am. I work towards becoming a genius, but I'll never reach it because I'll never be good enough for myself. I am extremely self-conscious about it and makes my life terrible. I'm too stupid and I can never be good enough. I'm constantly suicidal over it. Help?
Answer this question. I would venture a guess that you are setting yourself up for failure without even realizing it. If you don't know why you value intelligence so much, and why its so important for you to be a genius, then you won't be able to understand why failing to live up to those standards disappoint you.

Reactions: StElmosDream

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Answer this question. I would venture a guess that you are setting yourself up for failure without even realizing it. If you don't know why you value intelligence so much, and why its so important for you to be a genius, then you won't be able to understand why failing to live up to those standards disappoint you.
Not just the 'why' @Ben8 but also the 'what' motivates you or perhaps 'whom' you compare yourself to (maybe even feel like you must impress or uphold standards not your own for) and the 'when-how' will you know the desired outcome has been achieved...if you can answer those 5 question criteria then you'll know why intelligence matters so much to you...

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
There is more to life than being a genius/being smarter than everybody else. You don't have to be a genius to be a valuable human being. There is also compassion, wisdom, etc. Don't fret too much about just one aspect of human beings, for you have the potential to become a great person regardless of intelligence.

I also used to think that intelligence was UBER important, but soon I realized that intelligence alone won't make me happy. Money won't make me happy, prestige won't make me happy, recognition won't make me happy... What really would make me happy are people who give a damn about me, like my friends. My point here is that you don't need ultra-intelligence to find true satisfaction in life. For once stop thinking about your own intelligence and think about what other thing in life that could make you happy. I know it won't be easy to change your mind, but try and experiment. You only have one life, and it would be a waste to spend it fixated on just one aspect of life.

And just to let you know, being a genius may not be what it's cracked up to be. There are plenty of people who are intellectual geniuses but are horribly deficient in at least one aspect of human nature. For example, there's Ted Kaczynski (The Unabomber), who was one of the most brilliant mathematicians but was a psycho. Not saying that all geniuses are psychos, but just having superior intelligence doesn't equate to being a superior human being.

Reactions: TwistedMuses

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you to everyone for their feedback. I can't help but recall moments in my childhood where I felt stupid compared to the rest of the class. I would get made fun of at times for not grasping concepts and understanding homework. I would need tutoring and I was never one of the, "Smart ones." Even in my HS AP Calculus class, I was the 2nd dumbest person in the class; the teacher matched up the students in the class to work together based on their capabilities to understand and use calculus ideas. The person I was paired with was the only person in the class actually failing, so that's a good indication as to where I ranked among my peers. I can't help but recall these moments. Unfortunately, I'm a sensitive person. Other than this, I can't think of any other reason why I put intelligence on such a high pedestal. @StElmosDream @nujabes

Reactions: StElmosDream

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Ah, there is so much more to life, mi amigo.

It's not about what talent you're born with. Many people who are extremely gifted fail to succeed in their endeavors because everything has come easy to them in the past, and conflicts they face in the future aren't so easy to go through with sheer talent alone. Those who work hard and work smart, and are intelligent enough to see that both are required to reach their goals are the ones who are the most satisfied.

Training your brain really helps, you can try luminosity.com, as they have several brain exercises you can try, if that's what you want. This quote may make you feel a bit better as well. Cheer up, kid!

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I can't help but recall moments in my childhood where I felt stupid compared to the rest of the class. I would get made fun of at times for not grasping concepts and understanding homework. I would need tutoring and I was never one of the, "Smart ones."
I can relate to this desire to prove others (and our own narratives wrong), facing a depression for the same reason you note 'a sense of failure' for not matching intellectual potential with own efforts.... realising two things: nobody is ever completely stupid when they try their best at something and secondly how damning it can become to carry years of expectations, leaving nothing but a steely F you world I know better world determination that leaves you unable to appreciate your own efforts and achievements made in spite of projections of inferiority.
All too often such inner turmoil makes us blind to challenges overcome (in my case how dyslexia can make learning much more difficult when rushed or unable to learn without researching 2-4 times more to learn properly), any life positives become attributed to 'I only did this for another or as a result of another's actions rather than your own efforts and how your desire to learn and self improve belongs to you not others alone to define (such is the pitfalls of comparatives and feeling others 'know more', when in reality any intellectual advantages can become useless without constant determination and a greater need to fight things only we can change)*.

*Modern education it seems can often lag behind in its 'I expect highest results yesterday not next week' paradigm of sink or swim, good, bad, excellence only... When in reality late educational bloomers can confuse people most by lacking a sense of definability...at times some have to work much harder to be an ideal level they alone seek, with only the individual being able to decide if they have the commitment and determination to put longer hours in, focussing on little improvements made or how knowledge is cuminative for some not simply known straight away.

·
Banned
710 Posts
IQ is known as being a more or less unreliable test for intelligence, so i wouldnt put too much weight into that. It mostly tests spatial, logical intelligence, not contextual or linguistic abilities to any significant degree.

I totally agree with @StElmosDream 's statement about modern education though. Personally whenever ive really wanted to learn something, ive done it on my own time, or if in class, in my own way. Some people might take a week to grasp calculus, some might take a year. But at the end of the day, theyve both learned it, and can both tackle any problems thrown at them.

Or, to put a different spin on it: some people find their ideal relationship early on (high school sweethearts), me I might not find that kind of match until Im 30 or older. Yet, im not convinced that Ill be any worse off for it. Different people just have different paces for things. Its easy not to be able to see that in our society of checkboxes, lists and balances.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Thank you to everyone for their feedback. I can't help but recall moments in my childhood where I felt stupid compared to the rest of the class. I would get made fun of at times for not grasping concepts and understanding homework. I would need tutoring and I was never one of the, "Smart ones." Even in my HS AP Calculus class, I was the 2nd dumbest person in the class; the teacher matched up the students in the class to work together based on their capabilities to understand and use calculus ideas. The person I was paired with was the only person in the class actually failing, so that's a good indication as to where I ranked among my peers. I can't help but recall these moments. Unfortunately, I'm a sensitive person. Other than this, I can't think of any other reason why I put intelligence on such a high pedestal.
How much did you study and make exercises?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Knowledge is one form of intelligence. Genius does not equal knowledge. It equals wisdom and life experience plus knowledge.

You are perhaps stupid when it comes to knowledge, as per your way of wording it, but I wouldn't be so sure of that fact. The only way you know that you are stupid is that you also know the vast things you are lacking, or the holes in your knowledge. I feel this is wisdom. Being suicidal over not knowing things is perhaps a way of showing yourself you have nothing to live for other than showing others your "genius" that you haven't managed yet (to your standards).

I suggest you go outside to a park with a source of water and listen for a while. Showing off to others isn't the way to happiness. It's actually opposite.

·
Registered
953 Posts
You can't decide what you are. Sure you can work at bettering a few things (social skills, math, science), but you can not change your mentality.

You have this preconceived notion that to be genius is to be perfect, and this is simply not true. The psyche of a genius has is downsides as any other person does. We are all great at something and terrible at another thing, and we can't choose what these things are, so stop trying to.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts