Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Enneagram 3w4 ENTJ
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a book about time, task, project, and life management. It is very short and doesn't go into great detail on these things, but taken at face value and implemented, the tools/techniques are very helpful.

The key insights:

1. have a major definite purpose, a "#1 goal that you work on every day"
2. make a list to plan every day in advance (and week/month too) (there are some "tricks" about the lists to make which are below, they're not just to-do lists)
3. apply the 80/20 rule to everything (I wish I could emphasize how impactful this rule is)
4. answer "what could I do that would have the greatest positive consequences in my life? in my work, etc"
5. answer "what's the most important thing I could be doing right now?"
6. answer "what's the most valuable use of my time right right now?"
7. practice zero based thinking: "is there anything I'm doing that I wouldn't start up again if I could start over with the knowledge I have now?"
8. answer - what should i stop doing in my life? in my work?
9. ** answer: what results do I get paid for? ( if you're a manager, answer "what results do my staff get paid for?")
10. answer: what one skill, if I mastered it, would have the greatest positive impact on my career?
11. answer: if i could only do one thing in work, what would contribute the greatest value to my career?
12. set it as a goal to have a clean, neat, and comfortable work environment
13. apply the law of constraints to your goals to make a plan: "why haven't I achieved it already?" "what's preventing me?"
14. set deadlines on every measurable goal and task
15. create zones of silence for undistrurbed work during your day
16. schedule large chunks time in your work day to work on your most valuable goals, tasks, projects
17. set it as a goal to have a healthy sense of urgency
18. determine to work on only things you can complete in a reasonable time period. if it takes you more than one whole day to do it, break it down more.

80/20 of key insights

1. practice the high productivity questions every day, every week, and every month, etc (explanations below)
2. "set it as a goal" and get to work to complete it
3. answer: "what results do I get paid for at work?"

The high productivity questions are:

1) "What's the most valuable use of my time (at work) right now?"
2) "What are my highest value activities at work?"
3) "If I could only do 1 thing at work, what would have the greatest positive impact on my career?"

These are just lists. I don't think Brian Tracy teaches it in this book, but he shares a technique called "Mindstorming", which I have found extremely helpful.

What it is: you generate 20 ideas/thoughts on a subject, or 20 answers to a question. They don't have to be good or even relevant, they just have to be there.

The benefits of this is more than most people expect. Once you get past your "internal editor" you'll reach profound levels of creativity and insight.

"Set it as a goal" is a phrase you'll hear often from Brian Tracy, and what I've gathered from it is this:

1. if you want to do or achieve something, bring it into the present (aka use the 3P formula: Personal, Positive, and Present Tense),

2. make a plan to achieve it (you make a plan by making a list/mindstorming the answer to "why haven't I achieved it already?" "What's preventing me from achieving it?" and then 80/20ing it, and then 80/20ing that until you reach your #1 thing that you can take intelligent action on right now),

and 3. take action on it until it's complete.

The last insight is another key one for me. If anyone wants to get paid more, this question is for you. Once you've determined the results you get paid for (by making a list/mindstorming what they are, and then 80/20ing it), you "set it as a goal" to ether improve those results or get them in the first place or by a certain date.

Anyway, I hope I've contributed to an insight or two for you in regards to career success.

EDIT: I have to share the goal setting and achieving method he shares in his work, it's been extraordinarily valuable for myself:
1. write down what you want (3p formula)
2. set a deadline on it if it's measurable
3. make a plan (by mindstorming contraints)
4. 80/20 that plan
5. take action and work on only the 20% most important items until you get it (update/revise the plan/goal as needed)

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Believe the associated theory is palmadero, it’s using your time wisely.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts