Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

As the title says I am 19 and I've never been kissed. This because I've never been in a relationship and I'm just too nervous for one-night stands. I used to be very shy, which has probably something to do with it.
Has someone been in a similar situation?

I've recently started panicking, because everyone else seems to be in a relationship and I'm left behind.
Maybe I should let you know that I don't feel pressured in any way to be dating. It's just something I've always been 'waiting for' to happen, until one day that person just didn't come along.
Closeness is something everyone wants (I think), certainly for someone who is a hopeless romantic, like me.
And of course there's the fear of ending up alone for the rest of my life.

My friends say that it's because I think too much or because I am too picky. I guess that's true from the numerous times that I've caught myself saying: 'but it will never work because...'
Do I just expect too much from a relationship?

Thank you for reading all this. Just getting it off my chest really helps. Of course I would really appreciate your responses/ experiences.

·
Banned
4,143 Posts
What? Not even by your mum?

Joking aside, it's not bad to never have kissed at 19. I'm 20, and I've never kissed. I'm still alive.

If you want to kiss only in a relationship, that's fine. If you want a relationship, just keep doing things you like and keep your eyes peeled for someone you might want to make a move at - that's the way to go, as far as I know. (you rarely meet people you like in places you don't want to be in.) Don't listen to your friends about being 'picky': If kissing someone doesn't feel right, it probably isn't the way to go. Remember to give people a chance though, spend time with those you like, don't let the love fizzle out because you overlooked it!

You really don't have to be afraid of ending up alone for life. If you want a relationship, one will most likely come along in time. Maybe more than one (That happens. Eternal love is a rare thing. No reason to not take a shot at it.). Just relax and see what comes.

·
Plumcot
2,186 Posts
"My friends say that it's because I think too much or because I am too picky. I guess that's true from the numerous times that I've caught myself saying: 'but it will never work because...'
Do I just expect too much from a relationship? "

Don't ever compromise your own personal satisfaction with someone all in order to be in a relationship, you like what you like and won't change it :)!

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
There's no need to hurry on that. Better do it when it feels right and with the right person than just doing it with anyone for the sake of doing it.

I didn't date nor kiss anyone 'till 20. Then I've met my husband all of a sudden, and we just developed our relationship.

Your life is yours only, do whatever you feel comfortable of doing, for the sake of yourself. :)

·
Registered
ESTP - SEE Fi
4,694 Posts
had to wait until 21 to get my first blowjob and I still think it was not a big deal !

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
I made it to college before getting kissed or laid or on a date.

I blossomed.

Reactions: Braverose

·
Registered
194 Posts
Pretty much exactly the same story here lol :p I am within 4 months of 20 though...

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm 21 and never been kissed, It's not so bad but don't give up hope. Ive gone on a few dates recently and I just don't know If I should tell people or not :dry:

·
Registered
412 Posts
There is no time limit, you don't turn into a pumpkin if you haven't kissed anyone by 20. Also, chances are that the person you have your first kiss isn't going to have had a in depth conversation about what you have and haven't done, it will just happen, no planning required. Also, if anyone ever ridiculed you for it (unlikely), they damn well don't deserve to kiss you anyway.

I have been firsts for a couple of people and to be honest, it never came up but I also didn't care, everyone has had a first at some point so why would it matter?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Luckily it doesn't bother me so much anymore, but would the other person involved care?
Probably not. In any case you could just not mention it. Kissing is pretty straightforward, I doubt anyone is going to be able to tell if you've done it before when it does happen. If for some strange reason they say something, blame it on nervousness because you're just so giddy around them teehee.

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,448 Posts
Hey!

Don't feel bad, I didn't get my first kiss until I was around 19, I think. And I've been on plenty of dates, but never had an official relationship.

I think I enjoy the dating experience itself more than I would actually being in a relationship because it seems like a constant need that needs to be fulfilled over and over again.

Don't feel bad at all! I think this is normal, I can only imagine that emotional strain people in relationships are going through.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
You shouldn't worry about that, just go at your own pace. It's not like whether you first kiss when you're 15 or 20 years old will have much (or any) difference in your life.

I don't see what's so fun about kissing anyway. What's the pointing of sticking your tongue to the mouth of another person and then sharing your saliva with them? That's gross.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts