Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something I've been thinking about quite a bit lately as I was trying to figure out whether I was an image type. I was heavily leaning toward 3 until I read The Complete Enneagram and realized I was supposed to be typing pre-25-year-old me. Once I realized that, it was easy to decide I was a 4w3 (sp).

The more I thought about my relationship with clothing, though, the more I realized just how much I connect my clothing with my identity. Even when I was 8/9/10, I wouldn't share my clothes with my sister, but I couldn't verbalize why, and I would get very upset if my parents forced me to let her wear any of my clothes. Even when I outgrew my clothes, I found parting with them very difficult, especially if they were going to be handed off to my sister. It took me forever to figure out why. Now I've come to see just how much I connect my clothing and my personal style with my identity, even though my style went through a dramatic shift through my teens.

Any other image types relate to this?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Generally, I will always go for comfortable above all else. What I feel most comfortable in is jeans, sneakers an a t-shirt. However, there will always be something about what I wear that is trying to make a statement. I don't even know what statement is supposed to be, maybe something along the lines of 'I'm not like you!', anyway. I love to wear bright colours, especially where everyone else is in black, brown and grey. I wear something bright yellow or maize almost every day and love combining it with blue for maximum effort.

I love contrast! For some reason, I love the blue & yellow combination. In my mind, lace or flowery dress should go with a leather jacket. It's simply my aesthetic preference and I don't care what others think about it. I love to be appreciated not really for looking neat or conforming, but rather I love when someone appreciates that I took two things that don't usually go together and made them work, or if someone notices my uniqueness (HA, I wish!).

Some of my fashion quirks include, that I will always wear clean clothes, however I'm bad at taking care of them. And there will always be a ratty sweater that I have a blind spot for, that I will not notice that it's deteriorated and is ugly, or that it smells or that it has a hole and I will wear the life out of it, until it disintegrates on me. There were maybe 3-5 such sweaters in my life. Below is a picture of me as a kid with grandpa and the first of these sweaters I remember. I wore it for years. And yes, I hate sharing clothes with my sisters! I don't even think it's just because they look better in them, I think it's because I'm extremely possessive with things that I didn't initiate the sharing. I also have trouble throwing away certain pieces of clothes, even though they are no longer wearable or I can no longer fit. I still have my first Levi's jeans, the first thing I ever bought for money I made, rather than pocket money.

Purple Sweater.jpg

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Alwyas black. Angry me will say "I hate how "only black" has become so popular and trendy lately.

The other part of me doesn't give a crap what other people wear. It will always be a part of my identity to be in black.

I feel horrible and very uncomfortable and exposed if I wear anything colourful.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I am a 4w3 and hate wearing black,though I love white. It just can look magical or ethereal easily. I love pastels and bright tints, icy colors, etc. There are select darker colors I wear because I know look good in them. I love things that are soft,especially fuzzh, and things that are either cute or ethereal. I don't wear heels. I love dressing feminine. I always was regarded as dressing weird as a kid, but got more interested in select trends with age. I love pretty things, in general. I try to buy secondhand or clothing that at least is somewhat ethical and environmentally not awful. Vintage clothes too. I like hair ornamentation and delicate, quirky and pretty jewelry. I lovd expressing myself through my appearance.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I am obsessed with wearing striped shirts. Apparently I usually end up looking "French", which may or may not be influenced by the black beret that I wear from time to time. I also wear a lot of skinny jeans with either flats or riding boots. My friends tell me that I end up looking "effortlessly cool" and "stylish"--exactly what I'm going for! :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Up until I was about 15 or so, I hated clothing trends and had no interest in my appearance. I'd usually wear a T-shirt, flare jeans, and the same jacket almost every day. I had really low self-esteem at the time, and I think my total rejection of cute clothes and makeup was related to that - for one thing, I felt like I was rejecting a world of norms & expectations before it could reject me, and for another, I felt that trying to conform to how other people my age dressed would only make my social failure & alienation more apparent.

Then my views completely shifted after my self-esteem improved. I realized it was fun to play with clothes, that I could express myself with outfits rather than conform, and that I actually had a pretty good aesthetic sense of what went well together. I think the eccentricity of my clothing style has toned down a little over time, but I still like to stand out a little when it comes to what I wear. For example, a typical outfit 15-year-old me might have worn: skinny jeans hand-painted with small, colorful designs and quotes, a striped shirt, and a colorful scarf to match. Recently I've gotten more into sweaters and high-waisted skinny jeans. I love wearing shorts with tights, infinity scarves, knee-length dresses, striped shirts, and my favorite pair of electric-blue Converse (which is getting a little old....)

An interesting thing I've noticed is how strongly my self-image is tied to how I perceive my appearance. I haven't felt bad about myself in a while, but I'm a lot more likely to have overblown feelings of shame and self-doubt when I'm not wearing a creative outfit that I feel confident in. So expressing myself through clothing and putting effort into my appearance is really important for me in terms of self-esteem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I used to wear a lot of black-especially in high school. I don't like standing out too much.

I've tried wearing brighter colors while out in public, but it makes me horribly uncomfortable.

I'm really the most comfortable in jeans, a t-shirt or Jacket (cardigan, sweater), tennis shoes and flip flops. I can dress up-but it still doesn't feel very natural...
For me clothing isn't as much an issue as hair is. If my hair doesn't look good-then forget it-I'm definitely not going anywhere. :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Gosh, I would have so much more clothes if I could afford it. And I relate to SO much of what's already been posted. Like, I want to make a statement, but I'm not sure what. Maybe for me it's mostly just "Look at my great aesthetic tastes!" lol. Anyway, ever since I was young I've been very interested in fashion, but my family's never been in a place where I could have the clothes I wanted. It really made me very insecure, I only had a few outfits that were falling apart and didn't even fit me, whereas most of my friends had overflowing closets of cute clothes. As I got older, I had really bad social anxiety, and I begun buying dark, neutral clothes and wearing heavy makeup, kind of as a way to look intimidating, to shut people out before they shut me out, honestly.

Nowadays, I still can't afford a lot of clothes, but I've gotten really good at being frugal and finding sales. As another poster said, as shallow as it sounds the way I look really affects my mood, so I put a lot of care into finding clothes that look flattering on me. I hardly ever wear dark colors, and I never do all black. It's too depressing for me, lol. I really can't put a label on my style, and I don't want to. I just find clothes that feel like me, and build outfits from those. I also posted this long comment on a clothing style thread, so anyone interested can take a look.

I always have such a hard time putting a label on my style yet I love talking about it. :tongue: To preface it, my seasonal color analysis is cool summer, my face shape is round but leans towards heart-shaped, I have a ruler shaped or hourglass shaped body. It usually floats between the two but the more weight I put on the more ruler-shaped I look. :rolleyes: Physically, I'm pretty sure I'm some mix of a gamine-romantic-classic style archetype. But clothing wise I don't tend to like the suggestions sense they're usually outdated, impractical or just not my taste. I'm also 5'3. I included all this because these are things I have to keep in mind when I'm shopping or else I might buy unflattering clothes I can't bring myself to wear, lol. I don't put too much stock in these rules though, it just keeps me from wasting money most of the time.

Hair-I usually wear it long and wavy since I'm too lazy to straighten it most of the time, right now most of the layers have grown out put I'm getting some face framing layers soon to compliment my face shape. My go-to is a medium side part but I switch it up fairly often. I usually only put my hair in a ponytail when I work out or when I have it straighten. Buns aren't my thing but I would love to be able to braid it every now and then. The issue is my hair is absurdly thick and so it's tiring to try fishtail braids and what not. My favorite hair look though is usually a day after I straighten it so it has a little more wave and volume but I don't have to worry about frizz. I've never dyed my hair in my life no matter how much I'm tempted since I'm scared it'll be unflattering or that it'll kill my hair. All this sun lately though is giving it some lovely highlights though.

Makeup-Other than my everyday look, which is minimal makeup since I'm usually too lazy or rushed to do much, I mostly love messing with lip colors. It's the easiest way to change up your look, in my opinion. I usually barely wing my eyeliner out and smudge very little on the outer parts of my lower eyelids, and my goal with mascara is mainly volume with some length, I usually choose light and neutral shadows. I guess it kind of reminds me of twiggy's eye makeup? But a lot more natural. My goal is to make an impact without looking like I'm trying too hard. Which is easy when you actually just don't try too hard. My next eye makeup goal is to do a smokey eye without looking like a raccoon. :happy: I don't contour too much, but I focus on defining my cheekbones and I love my shimmer powder. Though I need it less lately thanks to oily skin. :frustrating: Lastly, I would like to keep my nails manicured all the time, but who has time for that?

Clothes-Okay I guess the should have been focusing on this part the whole time, but anyway. This is actually the hardest part for me, since I usually just pick clothes based off of what feels right rather than a specific "style." I love the few wedges I can actually wear, but I mostly stick with flats, especially toms. I love layering jewelry, and I LOVE watches. I wear skinny jeans most of the time, but I also like soft, flowy shorts. One of these days I'll buy a skirt or dress. I have a few blouses and a lot of basic, well fitting tees, (graphic and baggy shirts aren't my thing,) I don't like wearing all neutrals, and black is usually overpowering on me and makes me feel depressed, haha. I like little, or big pops of color. (My green skinny jeans are my favorite.) I also LOVE floral prints. I tend to gravitate towards basic items, so I try to find things with neat details or get a basic item in an interesting color. Again, the goal is to make an impact without going too crazy. If you've read all my fashion ramblings, I salute you. Thanks for humouring me.

Also! What you said about hating to share clothes is so true for me! I remember a particular time when I went shopping with my mom and my sister, and my sister wanted a sequin tank top I already had at home. For some reason this made me so upset, but I couldn't explain why! Even now I freak out if my mom wants to borrow something of mine, it's so weird. Maybe it's a 4w3 thing? :tongue:

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
When I care, I dress to project a certain image, I have this idea of how I want others to see me and my clothes reflect that. I'm also inclined to wear clothes with strong or dark colors, mostly black. Comfort is secondary.

·
Queen of Hearts
17,935 Posts
Good question. For me - and I think it has more to do with my MBTI - I have trouble really understanding clothes, style, as a child especially I disliked shopping. I think my weak 3 wing sometimes flares up and wants to be on trend or whatever so I'll - really I'll pretend to myself to be interested in fashion. But it all feels very shallow and starts eating at my soul after a bit.

But lately I've put more work into looking nice, but I'm more likely to want to look a certain way or project a certain vibe, more likely to buy something because it reminds me of a fictional character's clothing, or because it has some feeling like 'if I were in a garden I'd want to wear this' or it says 'me' for some reason. If that makes sense. In a superficial way I value looking good - and at all times, not just around other people - I want to be always beautiful and I know clothes are a vehicle for that, but I don't care for people complimenting an outfit, I want the clothes I'm wearing to only mean something because I'm in them, I want to look beautiful, like a beautiful picture, and because people love the picture (and me) there will be a fondness for the clothes, but I don't really care if someone thinks my scarf is cool or something...

I wouldn't associate my image issues with clothing though, it's more of a side thing.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
To cut a long story short it is very important to me. Aesthetics in general are very important to me. I want everything to look good/beautiful so obviously it's very important that I do too... That doesn't mean that I always have to be dressed up and have hair and makeup done. In fact I often don't but I enjoy it when I do. It depends on the occasion/what I'm feeling that day. But there is always a certain standard that I like to maintain and with clothing I will have to feel like it feels 'right' for me that day depending on my mood even if I'm not making much of an effort and just throw something on without considering there will always be some reflection of it has to feel kinda right in that moment.

“Fashion is the most powerful art there is. It’s movement, design, and architecture all in one. It shows the world who we are and who we’d like to be.” - Blair Waldorf

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I'm a 4, and I'm not into trends but I'm aware of them so I can distance myself from them. Most of my clothes are black. I'd feel clinically insane if I wore a very bright color. I don't like patterns or words on clothes. I don't feel like myself if I'm not wearing black, or a gradient of black. I'll wear dark purple, dark blue or dark grey sometimes. It's about being inside a mood or a feeling for me. I'd say my clothes are neutral, modest, minimal, and simple.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Clothing makes me feel. At home it makes me comfortable, casual. When I go out it makes me unique, untouchable, the fullest potential of myself that I can express as possible. I have to compromise in the summer though, when it's hot and humid and I have to take not getting heat exhaustion into consideration. But come the colder months I layer it on. No one looks like me and it's great.

But I don't dress different for the sake of different. I have a very particular, narrow style that I feel expresses myself best. Flowery, lacy, patchwork, layers, knits, earthy colors and whites. Loose fitting or flowing. Feminine and asexual simultaneously, earthy and airy all at once. Loud and quiet at the same time.

Not just anything would do. It HAS to be THIS way, the ME-way that is like no other. Ultimately whether or not I turn anyone's head makes no difference to me. This is the way to feel like me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've recently gotten interested in my clothing. For a while (throughout grade school), I would just wear whatever, usually t-shirt and jeans. However, as I've gotten more comfortable with myself and more confident, I've finally realized that I want to express myself with my appearance. I think before I was afraid to stand out or be considered weird or something, and that translated into my appearance. There were times when I wished I could look a certain way but felt that I couldn't.

Now I'm slowly getting a wardrobe that I like and enjoy wearing, it's just a slow process since I don't have a lot of money to spend on clothing and I don't have a lot of old clothes that I want to wear. It's only been almost a year since I have gained enough self confidence to express myself through appearance so it's still a process.

My preferred appearance includes hair dyed unnatural colors (was red, currently is purple, and I want to dye it other colors too), darker eye makeup, darker nail polish, and darker clothes. Although I can still wear clothes that aren't dark and be fine, it just depends on how I feel it looks or how I feel that day.

~~Currently listening to: Twenty One Pilots~~

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I'm a 3w4 and I don't really care about fashion as much as I should. I look at fashion magazines and I'm like "wow that's cute, it looks good on her" but to actually take the time to say "hey let's wear all of this stuff" I'm too lazy

I do end up gravitating towards the same patterns/colors etc throughout the year. Last year I wore stripes. The year before it was mostly black. The year before it was polos...

I just like to look like I'm of good hygiene lol

1 - 20 of 35 Posts