Personality Cafe banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I "got into" black jeans several years ago and haven't looked back since. My wardrobe is consequently more limited now - and I'm unable to wear black tops these days which is a pity (double black). But I just think blue jeans are SO passe. I've one pair of stonewash blue jeans though that I like because of its loose shape and only being blue in places. But that only goes with one of my tops which is a really thick sweater I can only wear during the coldest part of winter. It's a cool-looking sweater too ... just doesn't get worn much because its knitting is so tight leading to moisture/humidity/sweat retention as well as heat retention. ANYWAY, looking back at old pics of me wearing blue jeans ... perhaps it's for the best I chose this path.

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
I enjoy shopping and finding clothes that I think express my personal style. I try to present myself in a way that is classy, gothic, and cute at the same time (I probably fail most of the time but whatever). I try to look unique but not flamboyant. I'm not as interested in makeup with the exception of lipstick: I love trying out all sorts of different textures colors and wearing them in public, from glossy pitch-black to matte coral orange.

I wasn't much interested in fashion until a couple of years ago when I developed more confidence in my appearance. I was incredibly self-conscious as a middle- and high-schooler and tried to blend in by wearing basic clothes of neutral colors and minimal makeup. I didn't want to stand out in any way. Before that, as a young kid, I loved wearing flashy and girly stuff.

(Not completely sure about my core but strongly considering 3w4.)

Reactions: Voyageur

·
Registered
103 Posts
My "wardrobe" is really limited. I have some pairs of jeans, a few pair of casual pants, beige, grey... and that's it.
I sometimes wear shirts, but more in a Bloods&Crips LA gang fashion (unbuttoned, untucked, patched or denim) than in business fashion. I wouldn't stand ironing anyway :)
I always wear hoodies.
I hate "grown-up" shoes, I still wear Timberland boots and sneakers every day.
I love dark colors, pastel colors, cold colors. Don't like bright ones.
The only items I'm proud of are my T-shirts. I have dozens of them, in a lot of different colors, and all of them customized with names of my favorite bands, records labels, writers, movies... and some more personal like an ugly duckling one, a peter pan one, etc...
I love it when some random guy stops by staring at my t-shirt and says "oh you know this band, i've seen them live they were awesome", and there you have it, a conversation going on... Try that wearing a regular clothing brand...

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
It takes me five seconds to shop. I just like jeans, cargo shorts, solid tees and long sleeves/sweaters, combat boots, and Converse. If I'm feeling more gothy, I'll just switch to black jeans and hoodies or long sleeves with my fav bands printed on. My favorite and fanciest piece is my military-esque jacket that set me back $70.

It seems simple, but I'm very particular. There are a shit ton of things I WON'T wear, like dresses, skirts, blouses, heels, shirts that show my stomach or any cleavage, bikinis, chokers, non-stud earrings, certain colors, and so forth. When others shop for me, their stuff often ends up in Goodwill or the trash.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I try not to be materialistic about it, and I don't care if it's name brand, but I tend to like nice things. I usually take pride in my appearance and try to "dress for success," but I don't want to spend crazy amounts of money on clothing either. If I look good, I feel more confident and influential—that's fairly important to me.

More of my budget goes towards food than clothing though, if I'm being completely honest. :tongue:

·
Banned
919 Posts
A weird one.
I'm not (and I will never be) by any means one of those 'fashionable' people who put a lot of effort in their look, I want it to be 'effortless' yet stylish.
I hate shopping at the same time, I hate most clothes you can buy in shopping chains and how they're trying to 'shape' fashion trends.
I shop online mostly, it takes me little time to filter out what I want (something that will look good at me, something that feels 'me', something that is good quality yet worth its price).

'Something that feels 'me''- I just bought an oversize black jumpsuit, it's perfect for me but I won't go out in it because it suits perfectly my style only at home - I sound insane, I know.

I'm also done with buying things that were pretty but weren't complimenting me enough. Color wise for example, I love colors but now I only buy those which bring out my complexion. It's actually amazing how good you can look in a simple t-shirt just because it has the right color.

I'm also planning to learn how to sew (and design) my own clothes in a near future (then I'll turn it into a business...)

·
Registered
777 Posts
I don't think of myself as an image type because I don't project a social image and don't care much about social perception. I do have a sense of authenticity and the problem of conveying accurately who you actually are. From that perspective I may think of image, but I would prefer to call it a projection of the inner self.

Regarding the question of clothing, I do choose clothes that express my personality and have a style. I mostly shop at thrift stores and never read magazines, so it's all my own and not too over the top. I like an ethereal grunge look with sheer layers, uneven hems, mismatched earrings, but subtle colors, soft textures, etc. It's how I think of boundaries and my sense of self. I generally dress in comfortable clothes, but admire more ornate styles also. I just don't have the energy to create one. For me, clothes are about creating a feeling that is consistent with my inner self, and I don't care how it interfaces socially.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I like my clothes to look presentable and I like to not stick out while subtly expressing myself (usually I don't have to think about the self expression, which is relevant because I don't wanna think about my outfit).

I use colors to compensate for a low mood or to express a good mood. If I feel very frazzled I might decide to wear *dark blue* that day.

I have a newfound appreciation for both comfortable and professional/stylish clothes, and I wear either depending on the circumstances and/or what I feel like.

Something that has always been consistent for me with clothing, and which I guess I attribute to being a 4, is that I am concerned with not being *try-hard*; this has manifested over the years from 'I wear all black because THIS IS JUST MY MOST PROMINENT FEELING, THEREFORE I OWN ONLY BLACK CLOTHES' to 'oh I don't care what I wear at all' to 'I need to have the PERFECT. OUTFIT. WITHOUT IT BEING. PERFECT.' The self expression is in not fully expressing myself...like the perfect outfit, is one which I like while also being one which means nothing to me or about me. xD

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,257 Posts
I'm a 4w5 and I definitely understand what you mean about feeling connected with clothes. There was a period of time when my school went to uniforms and it was AWEFUL. Being dressed up as somebody else every day felt like it was killing my soul. I need to feel like what I'm wearing reflects my values and tastes or else I just feel... off, and become awkward and have a negative outlook. I'm act much less self-confident when I'm not dressed to fit my inner self. And I definitely have a sense of sentimental attachment to my clothes, it's hard to let some of them go even if they're starting to wear out. I didn't have a sibling to pass things down to, but I can totally imagine it feeling... wrong, like sharing underwear because clothes are so personal. I've kind of thought about that with my daughter actually and find myself saving her clothes, but also feeling like if we do have another girl I'd want to get her all her Own clothes, because otherwise it would feel like trying to dress her up like her sister and put expectations of being the same on her.... That may sound ridiculous to some people, but it's interesting to hear someone else voice something similar! so thanks for bringing this up :)

I've always had a thing for historic or fantasy styles, and got into sewing because it can be hard to find the kinds of things I like. I'm always on the lookout for items to add to my closet and I have come to realize that I have a LOT of clothes in comparrison to many other people. Like... it boggles my mind to see people with closets that have extra space. How do you not have it crammed in there wall to wall and spilling out of your dresser drawers? How? LOL.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I have zero fashion sense and dress exclusively for comfort. I think fashion is interesting, but I have Sensory Processing Disorder and am bothered by touch especially. Used to throw huge temper tantrums because of sock seams and the 'tongue' of my tennis shoes, to the point my mom would send me to school in aqua shoes. Never thought jeans were comfortable. I cannot stand wearing tight clothing for even a millisecond. I only wear loose, soft clothing. Mostly sweatpants and t-shirts. I don't care about matching either.

I'll just stick to watching Project Runway and letting other people be fashionable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I will almost always prioritize comfort over looks. I tried experimenting with my clothing when I was in high school -- tried to be different and original with it, but it felt forced and it didn't last long. I'm quite self-conscious and I don't like to bring attention to myself when I'm in public, and trading comfort for prettiness just isn't worth it for me. Now I own very few pieces of clothing, which I use over and over again until they're too shabby to be worn anymore. I do like what I have though. The main colors are black, white and burgundy. Some of them have a bohemian kind of style, with patterns or flowers on them. Sometimes I'll put on a stone necklace / bracelet or mala, not necessarily because they look good but to remind myself to stay centered spiritually. I always end up leaving them on the side when they become too much of an inconvenience though. Generally I don't put too much effort into my appearance because it doesn't really matter to me, but I understand that some people see clothing as a way to express themselves.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have a very specific style. Screen printed shirts with wide legged jeans. I know they have been out of style for decades, but I just love them. The only problem is that I can't find the clothes I like/want to wear because I'm fat.

·
Registered
INFP 4W5 sp/sx
12 Posts
I'm a 4w5 and I almost only wear dresses (or skirts). I generally wear dark colors but in the summer I also like wearing lighter clothes. Also my style is a little more '' goth '' during wintertime ahah. I love floral patterns, vintage dresses... I don't think my clothes are that original though. My makeup and jewels are generally what reflect my individuality the most. I actually really love doing my makeup and getting dressed up ahah.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts