Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current guess is that I'm a type 2, possibly a 2w3 (although 2w1 or 9w1 seem possible as well). I'm definitely a strong introvert.

I find the 2w3 plus heavy introversion combination pretty odd. I can see how a strong introvert could still be a 2, but 2w3 seems so archetypically extraverted. It would explain a lot, though. There have always been two strong divergent drives within me - to connect to other individuals and to be alone. I'm also quite image conscious.
I would consider myself a social loner.

Do you think it is possible for a strong introvert to be a 2w3?
Do any of you think they have this combination?

Any input appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Possible. You could have a desire to reach out to others, but your introverted tendencies keep you from doing so. You could also be an extroverted personality type with social anxiety as well, that's a possibility.

I'm personally a very strong INTP, as well as a 3w2, so I also have a tendency to want to reach out to people, specifically in a "charming" manner.

Introverted tendencies are easy to fake, remember that. As introverts, we can always "fake it 'till we make it" as a part of social scenarios.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Do you find this doable yet uncomfortable and extremely draining as well?
I find it entirely doable. Uncomfortable at first, yes. It will always be uncomfortable in the short term, as you're introducing something to yourself that is rather "foreign" to your mind. But, as I said, "fake it 'till you make it". That is to say, pretend until it's second nature to you. Pretend until you no longer need to pretend. It will most likely always be a draining experience, as it's a challenging task for you. But, along with that draining experience will come the reward of success. Think of it as exercise; exercise is extremely draining on your body, because it presents your muscles a challenge, but comes with the reward of growth later on - granter you're doing it right, but that's beside the point.

"The tendency to avoid challenge is so omnipresent in human beings that it can properly be considered a characteristic of human nature. But calling it natural does not mean it is essential or beneficial or unchangeable behavior. It is also natural to defecate in our pants and never brush our teeth. Yet we teach ourselves to do the unnatural until the unnatural becomes itself second nature. Indeed, all self-discipline might be defined as teaching ourselves to do the unnatural." - M. Scott Peck

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@iamdylanshaffer:
This is insightful.

How do you manage your energy, though? As introverts, extraverting will always be draining, so we can't fake it all the time - even if we make it, right? I would assume the stronger the introversion, the more exhausting "faking it" is. I've noticed that acquaintances of mine who are presumably introverts yet situated more towards the center on the I-E scale not only seem to naturally act more extravertedly, they also appear to use up less energy doing it. I seem to expend a lot of energy regardless of how much I like the person I'm with (let's not get into group activities which are way worse). And if I actually try to pull an extravert, I deplete my energy in no time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
@iamdylanshaffer:
This is insightful.

How do you manage your energy, though? As introverts, extraverting will always be draining, so we can't fake it all the time - even if we make it, right? I would assume the stronger the introversion, the more exhausting "faking it" is. I've noticed that acquaintances of mine who are presumably introverts yet situated more towards the center on the I-E scale not only seem to naturally act more extravertedly, they also appear to use up less energy doing it. I seem to expend a lot of energy regardless of how much I like the person I'm with (let's not get into group activities which are way worse). And if I actually try to pull an extravert, I deplete my energy in no time.
It's true, it is very depleting of your mental energy source. The answer lies in something very obvious, retaining a proper balance. You have to use your strengths to your advantage, engage in higher self-awareness so that you're able to make more use of yourself in brief extroverted related activities. Does that make sense?

I don't participate in what would be labeled as "extroverted activities" very often, but I know it's crucial for the advancement of myself - which is something I care greatly about. So, I make the most use of my time when participating in these activities. I'm careful in my speech, I spend my time listening instead of talking, so that when I do speak I have useful things to say. It's all about finding proper balance and putting yourself to good use.

Also, keep in mind that physical health is - at least in my opinion - directly related to mental health. Keep yourself physically healthy, so that you're not as easily mentally drained.

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's true, it is very depleting of your mental energy source. The answer lies in something very obvious, retaining a proper balance. You have to use your strengths to your advantage, engage in higher self-awareness so that you're able to make more use of yourself in brief extroverted related activities. Does that make sense?
It totally makes sense to me.

Monitoring and managing my energy is something I only recently became aware of. And it's a huge challenge for me, probably because I am very socially oriented (Fe aux, enneagram core probably 2w3); yet at the same time, I'm a total introvert.

This combination still baffles me and I'm only just learning to handle my divergent needs. It's definitely an interesting journey, though. And simply realizing I need to prioritize introversion has been invaluable.

I don't participate in what would be labeled as "extroverted activities" very often, but I know it's crucial for the advancement of myself - which is something I care greatly about. So, I make the most use of my time when participating in these activities. I'm careful in my speech, I spend my time listening instead of talking, so that when I do speak I have useful things to say. It's all about finding proper balance and putting yourself to good use.

This resonates profoundly with me. :) Perhaps this is somewhat of a standard operating procedure for introverts? Quality over quantity.

Also, keep in mind that physical health is - at least in my opinion - directly related to mental health. Keep yourself physically healthy, so that you're not as easily mentally drained.
I've observed a strong correlation between my energy level and capacity for social interaction: The worse I am doing, the more reclusive I become. I wonder if the converse applies for extraverts. Since they derive energy from external interaction, I would assume them to have to spend less time alone/in their inner world if their energy level is low.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Do you feel that your introversion balances you as a two? Such that you are more comfortable when you are alone or without others for a while? Becaiuse I feel that extroverted 2s will have a much harder time being alone.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I definitely don't think it's impossible. I'm sure there are plenty of 2w3 INFJs, ISFJs, and ISFPs out there. If anything, you would just have a more intense, concentrated energy than an extroverted 2w3? I know a handful of 2w1 introverts, but I could see 2w3 just as easily.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
My current guess is that I'm a type 2, possibly a 2w3 (although 2w1 or 9w1 seem possible as well). I'm definitely a strong introvert.

I find the 2w3 plus heavy introversion combination pretty odd. I can see how a strong introvert could still be a 2, but 2w3 seems so archetypically extraverted. It would explain a lot, though. There have always been two strong divergent drives within me - to connect to other individuals and to be alone. I'm also quite image conscious.
I would consider myself a social loner.

Do you think it is possible for a strong introvert to be a 2w3?
Do any of you think they have this combination?

Any input appreciated.
I'm 2w3, and most strongly relate to INFJ. I am only half introverted though, so sometimes I am more like an ENFJ, but the line between the two is so close that I can be whichever one. Also, INFJ is known to be the most extroverted of the introverts, so if you're also INFJ, then that would explain it.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
There are some patterns and similarities to how enneagram and dominant cognitive type to play out, but these are very different systems. One can begin to bend each to look more like the other, though, but I'd not do this unless it gives clarity and/or descriptive power.

That said, it's important that when typing as 2w3 the core drive is central, and not just something like "I feel compelled to help others" -- types 2 and 3 are more than just that.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I am INFJ 2w3

My I is 88, so pretty strong introvert. The drive and need to help others definitely overcomes my tendency to pull into myself, although I will still need that time to process in the end to keep from feeling overwhelmed.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
This, more than anything, depends on how you define introversion. If you go with the social and more popular definition, meaning being socially withdrawn and/or not outwardly energetic, then it's entirely possible to be introverted as a 2, or as any enneagram type. If you define it as your relation to the object and subject, then 2 is strictly an extraverted type.

Reactions: Gesenius
1 - 15 of 15 Posts