Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of us INFP's procrastinate...it's just....something we do. :blushed:

That being said...did you set any goals for 2010? If so have you met any of them? If not there's still time!!! 2 more full months to go... :happy:

My only goal for 2010 was to "get my shit together". And wow....who knew how many blows would be dealt making that happen...but I"m on my way...and it's happening.

How about you?

·
Registered
751 Posts
The only 2010 goal I made was to finish my novel. Unfortunately I've barely started it. I'm still on chapter two! But what else could an absent minded procrastinator do?

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only 2010 goal I made was to finish my novel. Unfortunately I've barely started it. I'm still on chapter two! But what else could an absent minded procrastinator do?
LOL, I totally feel your pain. Hey, 2 chapters is better than no chapters. :laughing:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yes I made them, I completed them. I'm making more and I'm completing more of them. With writing down 1 goal a day you are attending to a straight forward goal, you are creating confidence in finishing goals. For instance if you said you are going to take your shirt off today, then you have completed your goal because you know your going to take your shirt of today, it is inevitable. :proud:

Then the next day you set your goal, you are going to put on your shirt today and make breakfast. And then you know you are going to do this goal because you are confident you are going to do this goal today. :wink:

Then your next goal will be to take out the trash, put away your shoes and have dinner. You know you are going to do this because they are good at making better goals now. What this does is create a mindset of goals. And then you do them not because you have to but because you want to.

And then you can start the stage in creating your wanted goal and the next and move onto something more challenging until you are practiced enough to make your goals come true. Instead of feeling you have to you are now feeling you want to.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yea I'm just starting to realize it's gonna be next year already and I still haven't made any goals really

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I made them, I completed them. I'm making more and I'm completing more of them. With writing down 1 goal a day you are attending to a straight forward goal, you are creating confidence in finishing goals. For instance if you said you are going to take your shirt off today, then you have completed your goal because you know your going to take your shirt of today, it is inevitable. :proud:

Then the next day you set your goal, you are going to put on your shirt today and make breakfast. And then you know you are going to do this goal because you are confident you are going to do this goal today. :wink:

Then your next goal will be to take out the trash, put away your shoes and have dinner. You know you are going to do this because they are good at making better goals now. What this does is create a mindset of goals. And then you do them not because you have to but because you want to.

And then you can start the stage in creating your wanted goal and the next and move onto something more challenging until you are practiced enough to make your goals come true. Instead of feeling you have to you are now feeling you want to.
This reminds me of something I read in a book and saved in my journal...it changed the way I look at setting and reaching goals:

“If we want it, make it a goal.” - Darkestar

“If we want it, make it a goal.”

** “Turn everything into a goal. If we have a problem make it’s solution our goal. We don’t have to know the solution. Our goal is solving this problem. Do we want something? A new waterbed, a red sweater, a new car, longer hair, longer nails? Turn it into a goal. Do we want to go someplace - Europe, South America, the circus? Do we want a loving, healthy relationship? Turn that into a goal. Is there something we’ve always wanted to do - go to school, work for a particular company, make ex amount of money per year? Turn it into a goal. Do we need to decide what we want to do for a career? Turn making a decision into a goal. Do we want to grow closer to God, go to church every Sunday, or read the Bible every day? Turn it into a goal. Do we want to change something about ourselves - learn to say no, make a particular decision, resolve some anger? Turn it into a goal. Do we want to improve our relationships with certain people -children, friends, spouse, a relative? Turn it into a goal. Do we want to form new relationships, lose weight, gain weight, quit worrying, stop controlling? Do we want to learn to have fun, learn to enjoy sex, achieve acceptance of some particular person or incident, forgive someone? I believe we can successfully turn every aspect of our lives into a goal. If it bothers us, make it a goal. If we’re aware something needs to be changed, make it a goal. If we want it, make it a goal.”

Reactions: Seventree

·
Registered
280 Posts
I want to comment more, way past my sleeping time for now. I'm in a bit of a zone today, might change. However with persistent thoughts come persistent action. Persistently negative you'll be persistently negative, persistently positive you'll be persistently positive. When you can come to understand that then you can understand that expressing your intentions about goals change too. Then so will your intentions towards procrastination. Because we procrastinate not because we want to but because we have to. So that we can understand this is a stress response and something has gone awry in our methodology, like a mental circuit breaker between our actions and our reactions.

·
Registered
280 Posts
My only goal for 2010 was to "get my shit together". And wow....who knew how many blows would be dealt making that happen...but I"m on my way...and it's happening.
Oh and this was too unspecific, when you let your subconscious know something like that it'll read it as get shit, and so in your conscious state you get more shit. Whether you get more shit or you get more shit done depends. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh and this was too unspecific, when you let your subconscious know something like that it'll read it as get shit, and so in your conscious state you get more shit. Whether you get more shit or you get more shit done depends. :tongue:
LOL, this is true!!

Getting more specific, I wanted to do something about my unhappy marriage. It hasn't felt right for a long time, the last year and a half had been unbearable and my mental health was slipping into severe unhealthy zone... So in January I made the goal that no matter how hard it was, no more. No more talking about it and not doing anything... When my husband refused to get any kind of help... I threw my belongings into my car and drove 1,200 miles..... That was in May.....and wow, the onslaught of "shit" and emotional turbulence that followed has been so hard. But I've started counseling and refused to go back to my marriage unless my husband also gets the help that he needs. I am finally starting to feel liberated from the baggage I've carried since childhood... So really, for me, this year I have reached more goals than ever before. :happy:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Well, I don't really set goals for myself. Makes it less painful when you don't reach them. But I did have some goals for this year that sorta sneaked up on me, so to speak.

First I wanted to graduate from high school. No biggie. Second I wanted to move away from my parents. Done :happy: And, well, moving out requires a job.. Well, I work.. But there aren't really any jobs available, so I had to get welfare from the government (our system and customs of welfare in my country are so different from usa's that I won't even bother explaining it) but while I got that, I had to apply for jobs on a daily basis. And like I said, there aren't any jobs available so I failed at that and the government found me an internship as a cleaner at a hospital that I work while I still get welfare. So that means I work 37.5 hours a week for about $1200 a month.

Next year: nurse school and finding a cheaper apartment :happy:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Goals? What goals? o___o

The only "goal" I actually had in mind this year was to get a job--which I somehow managed to get .-.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Pffff I make so many "goals" that I can't even remember all of them, let alone actually meet them. I did overcome some things that had been holding me back for a while, so that's fantastic, but I didn't really plan any of it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Let us just say I am glad 2010 is not over yet.

Reading this topic made me get the list I had made at the beginning of the year but had conveniently forgotten a few days later. I have actually accomplished a few of them which at the time I had thought unlikely to happen.

·
Registered
183 Posts
When I have to make something into a goal, its almost subconsciously deciding that I'm never going to do it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Pffff I make so many "goals" that I can't even remember all of them, let alone actually meet them. I did overcome some things that had been holding me back for a while, so that's fantastic, but I didn't really plan any of it.
Yeah this is a problem though. Like with anything if we overwhelm ourselves with too much then resistance happens and we refuse to do what we wanted to do because it has become another stress point. Putting pressure and focusing on the lack of a goal rather than the reward of a goal. Plus different people have different interpretation of what goals mean.

·
Registered
280 Posts
See its like the attitude and language people use even here. I'm reading "what goals", "don't really set goals for myself... ", "When I have to make something into a goal, its almost subconsciously deciding that I'm never going to do it."

Do you find it strange that we are focusing on the lack rather than the reward.
This is almost like a poverty mentality in goals vs abundance mentality in goals.

Poverty mentality is an attitude. It's a way of thinking that is said to perpetuate poverty because the focus is on what one doesn't have rather than what one does have. Thoughts and comments such as "I can't afford this..." and "I'll never have enough money for that..." may turn out to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.
An "abundance mentality" is more than having a positive mental attitude, although a positive mental attitude is very important. When you have a positive mental attitude, you look at how things can be done rather than why they can't be done. You believe that "where there's a will, there's a way." You look at possibilities and opportunities rather than obstacles and problems.
Its interesting is all.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Its like we train ourselves to think negatively when if we retrain ourselves to think positively we start to action. And when you start to action there is a point of relief instead of stress and procrastination.

·
Registered
280 Posts
LOL, this is true!!

Getting more specific, I wanted to do something about my unhappy marriage. It hasn't felt right for a long time, the last year and a half had been unbearable and my mental health was slipping into severe unhealthy zone... So in January I made the goal that no matter how hard it was, no more. No more talking about it and not doing anything... When my husband refused to get any kind of help... I threw my belongings into my car and drove 1,200 miles..... That was in May.....and wow, the onslaught of "shit" and emotional turbulence that followed has been so hard. But I've started counseling and refused to go back to my marriage unless my husband also gets the help that he needs. I am finally starting to feel liberated from the baggage I've carried since childhood... So really, for me, this year I have reached more goals than ever before. :happy:
Why did he refuse? Would you talk about your health and what was happening for you at the time?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Next year: nurse school and finding a cheaper apartment :happy:
Its like your using negative words to back up your language and then your subconscious wouldn't discriminate between positive and negative language it would just follow them into your conscious. So when you say stuff like fail, you fail. When you say stuff like win you win. And besides your mind is going to work towards your goals however in the meantime it would be more helpful to say what am I going to do today, this week, to be in the moment of a goal than a goal that may change situationally in the future to build up to your goals.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts