Personality Cafe banner

What do you think will happen in 2012

• The End of the World.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some natural disaster will happen, but life will go on.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Something will happen with the Solar System.

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Nothing of consequence will happen, but of course everything will be blamed on it.

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • Silver Bunnies from Outer Space will take over the world and enslave all of our farm animals.

Votes: 19 45.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your views on 2012? Is there a doomsday coming, some natural disaster? Or will 2013 come without a hitch?
Define your views on the subject and any compelling evidence you might know to suggest the possibility of some global occurrence. Or just rant about the scientific fallacies in the movie.

·
Registered
84 Posts
As far as my opinion goes, the whole 2012-doomsday-theme is flat-out BS.

But regarding facts, here is an article (and in there: further articles) that explains why nothing is going to happen:
No Doomsday in 2012 | Universe Today

Reactions: Monkey Fritz

·
Registered
652 Posts
October 30, 1988 was the day the world ended.
so i thought i would look and see what monumental things happened at the start of the mayan cycle that ends in 2012

5200 years ago: August 11 or August 13 3114 BC is the date the maya calendar reckons the first day of the current age

some other non-scientific dates that are interesting :

• kali yuga (the beginning of the current 'age') began for hindus on 18th feb 3102 which is also the date krishna died and left earth to back to wherever he currently lives
  • according to the jewish calendar 7th october 3761 BC was the first day of all time
  • archbishop james ussher of armagh reckons 4004 BC was the date the universe was created
there is however scientific evidence that about that time ie 3114BC there were a lot of human developments ; already people were doing things like :
using bronze and iron and discovering silver;l creating cities and sewage systems and canals; writing and using hieroglyphs; making wheels, pottery and potter's wheels; making beer ; using ploughs; tattooing themselves using acupuncture and getting frozen in glaciers; charting and observing the movements of the stars and beginning the earliest phase of stonehenge

if we then go back another 5200 years to about 8000BC

in europe the ice age was winding down so glaciers were receding leaving a far more temperate climate; agriculture really started to take off as people were able to set fishtraps in the new rivers and use bows and arrows made from the trees in the new forests; they cleared plots of land and started being able to plan for the future and live in one place, instead of hunting and gathering as they travelled and lived nomadically they planted seeds for next season then remained in one place in settled communities over the winter while the seeds germinated and were harvested the next spring

so this leads me to the conclusion that maybe we could say there were indeed distinct phases in development for humans across the planet but that 2012 is simply the beginning of the next

·
Registered
158 Posts
2012 is the end of the current cycle, the name of which (granted, it was coined by historians but still) escapes me but I believe it might be the Bak'tun.

The calendar doesn't end on 2012 it just starts the next cycle, like a Gregorian calendar going into another month or year. Not only that, but each cycle is progressively longer than the next: then "end" of the entire thing is thousands upon hundreds of thousands of years away.

Think of the calendar as a series of gears. Days are one of the gears. The current cycle lasts a few hundred years. I believe twelve of those equals the next cycle. The next cycle slots into an even higher gear, and so on.

·
Registered
652 Posts
2012 is the end of the current cycle, the name of which (granted, it was coined by historians but still) escapes me but I believe it might be the Bak'tun. The calendar doesn't end on 2012 it just starts the next cycle, like a Gregorian calendar going into another month or year. Not only that, but each cycle is progressively longer than the next: then "end" of the entire thing is thousands upon hundreds of thousands of years away. Think of the calendar as a series of gears. Days are one of the gears. The current cycle lasts a few hundred years. I believe twelve of those equals the next cycle. The next cycle slots into an even higher gear, and so on.
ooooh...

so i looked all that up and found this; the table seems to correlate with my earlier assumption that each era was the same length long ie about 5000 yrs give or take....a baktun, properly b'ak'tun, is 20 katun cycles of the the ancient maya 'long count' calendar and contains 144,000 days, we are just coming up to the end of the 13th baktun in 2012

"The tzolkin/haab dates for 0.0.0.0.0 of the current, next and previous Maya eras are given below together with (assuming the Thompson correlation) the corresponding Western dates in the Gregorian calendar:
next 4 Ahau 3 Kankin 2012-12-21
current 4 Ahau 8 Cumku -3113-08-11
previous 4 Ahau 8 Zodz -8238-04-01
previous 4 Ahau 13 Mol -13364-11-20
previous 4 Ahau 18 Ceh -18489-07-12
previous 4 Ahau 3 Kayab -23614-03-01
previous 4 Ahau 3 Zip -28740-10-19"

:confused:

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
Which is why scientific theory in itself is pure BS. For man to claim he is capable of knowing what will occur with any certainty in the name of science is pompous and egocentric. Will the world end, no one knows but I doubt it. Will there be a paradigm shift, of course. But I don't think it will occur all-of-a-sudden. I think it is starting now and will be so gradual a change that most will merely see it as a part of everyday life. The paradigm shift could consist of a change in our economic structure, super powers such as the USA and England having less a force in the world, possibly a nuclear bomb going off somewhere, etc. Only those that have lived long enough may see a difference. I am talking about people who may have lived during the "Great Depression".

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
.....I voted for the bunnies.

Reactions: Monkey Fritz

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think a big political and economic change will occur. Not as drastic as the New World Order hopefully.
I voted for the bunnies....

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
The Mayans were not actually predicting some kind of apocalypse at all. Dec 21, 2012 is just the end date of the last long-count calendar they created, before their civilization was destroyed.

The way people are reacting to it is absurd. It would be like if civilization today was wiped out, the next civilization discovers the last calendar we made before it happened, and assumes that the end date signifies the end of the world.

This isn't the Mayan's doing at all. Its just ignorance, and paranoia coupled with some people looking for their fifteen minutes of fame through publishing some fear mongering paranoid "prophecies."

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
What are your views on 2012? Is there a doomsday coming, some natural disaster? Or will 2013 come without a hitch?
Define your views on the subject and any compelling evidence you might know to suggest the possibility of some global occurrence. Or just rant about the scientific fallacies in the movie.
Great movie, great visual effects. BS ending though. (they´re really ships.)

2012 is going to be the year of lots of disasters. The cause is that the Incas and Nostradamos both saw the same thing (according to the discovery channel).

When the center of the galaxy and the earth and the sun line up, we´re going to be in deep trouble because the earth passes trough the place where the gravity of the sun and the gravity of the center of the galaxy are exactly opposite, resulting in a cancelation of gravity. This in turn causes things on earth to fly away up into the air for no apparent reaon. In other words, everything becomes lighter in that moment which causes water to rise and even land which will appear to us as floods and earthquakes.

Ofcourse, since the earth won't stop moving through space the time spent in that exact place where gravity is canceled, will be very small. So the scientists expect that we won't be noticing too much of it all. However, there is one doubt. If the earth really passes exactly with its center of mass through that gravity canceled point, there is a chance the earth won't continue in its orbit around the sun, but in stead will fly off in a straight line. That's not good because it will get really cold as the distance to the sun will get bigger that way and worse, we run the risk we bump into Mars or Jupiter.

The scientists found that if the earth would be slightly moved, even if it was just a tenth of an inch, the risk of this doom scenario happen can be reduced with 99%. Considering that only one half of the earth has land on it, the scientists advice that if at least 23% of the population of the earth, for 1 full minute, starts jumping up and down synchronously, the slight move can be achieved.

However, they also said it may not be more than 48% of the population or else the move may be permanent which may cause the earth to get closer to the sun which would make global warming even worse. Also, being closer to the sun speeds up earth's orbit which causes the year to get shorter by 3 to 6 days, depending on what percentage of the population decides to jump.

Because of these studies, scientists are now considering the possibility that global warming is caused by the world championship soccer that is held every 4 years when more than a billion people watch these games and in the finals, half of them jump every time there is a goal.

According to the scientists we´re lucky that soccer is played with only 1 ball so that it is not possible for both teams to score a goal at the same time. Global warming would be much worse if that would be possible.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Because of these studies, scientists are now considering the possibility that global warming is caused by the world championship soccer that is held every 4 years when more than a billion people watch these games and in the finals, half of them jump every time there is a goal.

According to the scientists we´re lucky that soccer is played with only 1 ball so that it is not possible for both teams to score a goal at the same time. Global warming would be much worse if that would be possible.
R....O....F....L
:crazy:

·
Registered
652 Posts
its not much different than people believing the world was going to end in the year 2000, just another point in an intricate calendar cycle which was based on the earths alignment with other celestial bodies and linked to a religion that lasted a long time

1 - 20 of 23 Posts