Personality Cafe banner

61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
We could win a second medal. Dirk Van Tichelt - who had barely no chance to win - surprisingly advanced three rounds and is now in the semi-finals. He beated the top favourite and the number one of the world, and even our commentators said that it would impossible to beat the south korean world champion, but he did. :D

It's quite amazing that all olympians are outperforming expectations. It's crazy. I think the Williams sisters have also an allergy of belgian woman :p

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE.

We are already three days far, and we surpassed the amount of medals that everyone predicted we would receive... And the two persons that won a medal (gold & bronze) had no chance. If you would bet a euro on them, you would be 100 euros richer. It's just unbelievable. I don't know why everyone is outperforming expectactions. Our greatest chances for a medal weren't even in action so far. That's our attitude. That's why everyone is afraid of meeting a Belgian. Look to Williams that lost from Flipkens. She isn't famous. No-one knows her, and she is also outperforming expectations because she defeated another favourite. Our hockey mens are also performing well. We had a final on the gymnastics (for rings) and that was also unexpected. Our swimming team are sixth on 4x100 freestyle swimming for teams (after the four big countries (australia, us, france and russia) and home country brazil). It's just unbelievable.

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
Watching equestrian; is it normal for 50% of horses to majorly screw up? Not just making faults, but just going "nope!" and going around obstacles instead of jumping.

Also USA's first medal was in shooting... you can't make this shit up XD

·
Banned
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Van Avermaet also was going to win san sebastian 2015 but he was hit by a motorcycle but spain already proved that they are literally shit in organizing stuff. we are all complaining about rio, but imagine spain organizing the olympics, it would be even worse... Even france would be a disappointment, think tokyo 2020 was a good choice. That's a guarantee for quality. Londen was also well (although not really exotic, it's just london)
Yeah. I heard Denver is going to pass their bid for holding the Winter Olympics again. Apparently they just can't ever find the money. I wonder if the Olympics could stand to be downsized somewhat. Otherwise it's going to be restricted only to the most developed countries, which is so against the spirit of the games. I'd love to see the Olympics in places like Brazil, Mexico, or Greece ... jeez there's probably not going to be another Olympics in Athens. Wow.

·
Banned
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I'm also disappointed by one sport. I saw a bit of horseriding, but come on that's so boring, and why is performing with animals even a sport, and dressage is so boring. This shouldn't be an olympic sport. It's ridicilous. Who the fuck is watching that? Who the fuck is even interested in it? Who the fuck even invented it, it's just a sport for rich people that have the money to "own" a horse, and it's slavery and it's animal abuse. And worst of all: it's so boring.
My parents love the horse racing. They own three horses and usually watch the Kentucky Derby and stuff like that. I never saw the appeal either. I can ride horses, but to me they're just like 1,500 lb goldfish. Don't get me wrong, I love my horses. But this whole 'mystical' thing people feel around horses is a myth. In real life they're about as emotive as cats and smell like taint.

Rodeos are pretty fun, but I agree that it's animal abuse. Maybe it feels different because it's all Western riding whereas the Olympics is only English, I think. The European view of horses must be a lot different than in America. Here you don't really have to be rich to own a horse. They're stupidly expensive but I've known plenty of people that never earned anything in life but still owned and boarded their own horses.

I think you may be right. Maybe animals don't belong at the Olympics.

·
Banned
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #68

·
Banned
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
https://streamable.com/k2b8

Here the crash in good quality. One of the most terrible crashes i've ever seen, but she is okay, and gold still went to another dutch girl after an american lady was on lead until 500 metres for the finish (and she finished fourth, that would be so so so disappointing :( )
You wanna see something really crazy? ;)

Here's Patrick Roy (best ice hockey goaltender in history) in one of the worst goalie fights in history. Back in the day, the CO Avalanche HATED the Detroit Red Wings. It's one of the most famous sports rivalries in North America.

Roy steps in at about 0:56.

Here's Osgood interviewing Roy about the event years later. Roy is now the coach of the Avalanche and Osgood is working in sports media.

They address the fight at about 10:12

But this is in no way trying to paint hockey as a violent sport. In truth, it isn't, but that's detailed and lame so I won't go into it. lol. Roy is a lunatic. He's my celebrity model of a healthy, adult ESTP.

·
Banned
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Watching equestrian; is it normal for 50% of horses to majorly screw up? Not just making faults, but just going "nope!" and going around obstacles instead of jumping.
About a week ago I spent 4 hours with the vet hanging IV bags with a halter rope and stitching up a lacerated artery in my horse's leg. She did so by slipping in mud and running into a fence post and barb wire. Yes, horses are absolutely that stupid.

She's fine though. She's about ready to pasture again :) What a [email protected] chore that horse is.

Also USA's first medal was in shooting... you can't make this shit up XD
I heard about that! I also got a shotgun and a skeet shooter ... so yeah. There's lots of guns in America. Still not sure how I feel about that. :dry: (Course it doesn't really matter how I feel. Everybody I know is already afraid to leave there house. They can't ignore the problem forever.)

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Disagree on the animal abuse-I love and take care of animals, and fail to see the issue.

Horseridi g is HARDLY the only niche for the rich. Plus riches don't ma ke you a jerk- ot by necessity.

In short, don't be unfair on people you don't know by forcing your values and ideals on them, no matter how well intentioned they may be.

Best of luck to all of your respective Countries-I am rather neutral on the whole thing.

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
I heard about that! I also got a shotgun and a skeet shooter ... so yeah. There's lots of guns in America. Still not sure how I feel about that. :dry: (Course it doesn't really matter how I feel. Everybody I know is already afraid to leave there house. They can't ignore the problem forever.)
That's one of those debate topics where I have absolutely no idea where I stand.

I'll distract myself by hearing that Austria paid 10,000 Euros to first analyze a sand sample from Brazil then build an artificial beach area to practice for beach volleyball...

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
Disagree on the animal abuse-I love and take care of animals, and fail to see the issue.

Horseridi g is HARDLY the only niche for the rich. Plus riches don't ma ke you a jerk- ot by necessity.

In short, don't be unfair on people you don't know by forcing your values and ideals on them, no matter how well intentioned they may be.

Best of luck to all of your respective Countries-I am rather neutral on the whole thing.
Agree.

I guess I only get annoyed when I hear bad stories about the treatment of horses after they are done competing. One positive story I heard was about Food TV fixture Bobby Flay. He runs an organization that provides horses who are done with racing careers to prisons to help inmates rehabilitate.

·
Banned
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Why caring about the olympics when you can watch the ultimate douchesport instead :happy:

I thought for sure that was 'Merican football ;)

Here's John Cleese on the subject:

Not a single point was a bad point. I still like gridiron football though. :tongue:

Here's a highlight reel from last season. (Copy the URL and open it in a new tab. The NFL are d00sh-kind.)

Although it is hard to find an non-governmental institution that's as corrupt as the NFL. Oh well. Can't win everything.

Reactions: IDontThinkSo

·
Banned
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I'll show you crazy.

So I bursted into uncontrollable laughter just by reading the title "World's Fastest Dwarf." Then the video only got better from there. :laughing:

·
Banned
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
That's one of those debate topics where I have absolutely no idea where I stand.

I'll distract myself by hearing that Austria paid 10,000 Euros to first analyze a sand sample from Brazil then build an artificial beach area to practice for beach volleyball...
Allow me to evaporate your cool by reminding you of Russia's crazy, Stalin-esk blood doping scandal. :crazy:

For anyone interested.

Link: New York Times - In Russian Doping Scandal, Time for a Punishment to Fit the Crime

I'll say one thing about Russia. They really know how to repair their nation's image after over a century of being a complete thorn in the West's side.

(I'm not trying to coax you into a discussion though. I understand that nobody wants to get political. It's all good. :kitteh:)

Reactions: bigstupidgrin

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
Allow me to evaporate your cool by reminding you of Russia's crazy, Stalin-esk blood doping scandal. :crazy:

For anyone interested.

Link: New York Times - In Russian Doping Scandal, Time for a Punishment to Fit the Crime

I'll say one thing about Russia. They really know how to repair their nation's image after over a century of being a complete thorn in the West's side.

(I'm not trying to coax you into a discussion though. I understand that nobody wants to get political. It's all good. :kitteh:)
I'm watching a Russia vs Russia fencing match; the stadium is playing the Imperial March music from Star Wars XD. BECAUSE RUSSIA!

·
Banned
3,277 Posts
I'd like to take a moment to tip my cap to China, Australia, Italy, Japan and Russia for their incredible showings so far at this year's games.

Reactions: bigstupidgrin
61 - 80 of 110 Posts