Personality Cafe banner

81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Banned
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #81 (Edited)
I'd like to take a moment to tip my cap to China, Australia, Italy, Japan and Russia for their incredible showings so far at this year's games.
I'm watching men's synchronized diving so far and it's a dead heat between America and China ... I think. I dunno anything about diving. Lord knows I'l watch it though. :tongue: I'm waiting for gymnastics and beach volley ball.

Notice to Everyone

The closing ceremony will be on August 21st. So you have until the 20th to enjoy yourselves. I hope you do. :happy:

Go whatever team you're rooting for!

(Holy shit the Chinese may have just broken a record!)

Reactions: ShatteredHeart

·
Banned
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #82 (Edited)
Chinese Won Gold in Men's Synchronized Diving

Diving is a great event because it's really short. But it's a bad event because I have no idea what's happening. Sounds like most of the Olympics ... Anyway! 'Merica took silver and the UK took bronze.

Is the UK one of those countries where multiple regions are represented? I know that Puerto Rico is a separate team from the US but I'm not aware if there's a Scottish or Welsh team. Probably not, I'd imagine.

Next Up: Women's 200 m Free Style Final - August 8th, 8:00 MT

·
Banned
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Women's and Men's 200 m Freestyle Finals

Nothing special happened in the women's event. 'Merica finished last. I think France took the gold?

BUT in the men's event, the South African guy nearly beat the world record! But he petered out towards the end and didn't break it, though. China took the gold and 'Merica took the bronze. The South African LeClos took silver. He was awesome.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
louis croenen qualified for finals of 200 m butterfly swimming. Tomorrow will pieter timmers try to qualify for 100 m free strike swimming and we also need to qualify for 4x200 metres free strike team swimmihg; It inspires me to swim as well actually, i want to swim (i also want to tennis). I want to do a lot of sports, with thanks to the olympic games.

·
Banned
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
The seven most chaotic things that have happened in only 36 hours of the Olympics | Olympic News | Sport | The Independent

LOL at the kayak hitting a sofa...also if you're squeamish of legs at a horizontal 90 degree angle stay away (it's right after the bike story).
Yeah, we covered the fractured femur already. Brutality.

I really hope no injury from the Olymics tops that one. They probably will though, at some point, if they haven't already. I love the Olympics :)

·
Registered
508 Posts
I watched some table tennis the other day.. My sister has a feature on her tv where you can watch basically anything happening at the Olympics at anytime.. We (u.s.) were getting our ass's kicked by Iran .. Fine afternoon fun lol..

·
Banned
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #89 (Edited)
Now I'm remembering exactly how hard it is to follow anything during the Olympics ...

ANYWAY, Phelps didn't take silver yesterday, he just finished 2nd. So he advanced to the finals tomorrow hopefully. I'd like the swimming events to conclude soon so they'll show other events late in the evening in America. Everyone's so obsessed over Phelps though. He did do good :)

BUT the beach volleyball was awesome! The American team handily beat the Chinese team in two sets. I think they won by almost a double deficit in the 2nd set, so I don't think the Chinese were contenders exactly. I cannot WAIT until the US female team plays Brazil. That's gonna be epic. Volleyball is a almost always a really fun event to watch, imo.

Note to Everyone

NBCSN's Olympics clip playlist is where I've been watching highlights. I'd love to know if you've heard of something better :)

Link: YouTube - 2016 Rio Olympic Games

And remember! At the NBCSN website you can watch the live stream and watch 30 min of an event the day after the event, I think. I'm using it to watch the men's gymnastics I couldn't stay up for last night.

Link: NBC Olympics site - Live Stream Schedule

Also it seems as though they throw up entire events on YouTube from past Olympics. Here's the London 2012 women's beach finals. USA v USA

Copy the video URL and past it into a new tab:

Or if you want more clothing for some reason, I guess regular volleyball is for you.

London 2012 - US v Brazil final

·
Banned
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Has anyone else heard of this 'cupping' sh1t?

I have no idea why, but I find this practice to be beyond gross. It's when they use suction cups on your skin for whatever reason. But they're HUGE, Frankenstein suction cups that make you bleed! WTF

Link: Some Hippie Website - Cupping Therapy

·
Banned
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #91 (Edited)
But of course the big story last night was all about Lily King beating Yulia Efimova! Efimova is a controversial figure because she's a Russian who was caught cheating but made it into this Olympics anyway at the very last minute. The best thing about the story is how all the athletes [email protected] with each other mentally. Like LeClos dancing around in front of Phelps yesterday. The was weeeird.

Link: Denver Post - Swimming Roundup: After all the bad blood, Lilly King beats Yulia Efimova at Rio Olympics

“I basically said what everybody’s thinking,” King said, adding that other swimmers “were glad I spoke out and had the guts to say that and I appreciate their support.”
King stole the finger wag from Efimova cause she was showboating.

You don't mess with the King.

Here's Phelps and LeClos being goofballs:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
the swimmers i now know by name after i barely knew something from the sport

adam peaty
michael phelps
ian thorpe (probably retired)
pieter van den hoogeband (retired)
kosuke hagino
sun yang
chad le clos
lazslo czes
pieter timmers
glenn surgeloose
louis croenen
fred deburghraeve (retired)

and woman
sarah sjostrom
inge de bruijn (retired)
katinka hosszu
yulia efimova
lilly king
ranomi kromowidjojo
fanny lecluyse
elise matthysen (retired)
ruta meilutyte
missy franklin
katie ledecky
emily seebohm

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Okay, no-one in Belgium is watching swimming, and now we're all talking about it, because our coaches and our swimmers from our team are argueing about who is going to swim for the estafette and who wants to rest to concentrate on individual disciplines. But yesterday one of the swimmers qualified for a final, and he wanted to concentrate on his final, and not on the estafette. But another guy also wanted to concentrate to qualify for a final (100 meter free strike), and he needed to qualify for semi-finals and the final. So he also didn't want to do the estafette. We were with three, and yesterday they told us that they decided not to swim the estafette, and the other 3 guys were of course furious. The coaches told us that the press didn't had to be involved in this. But of course, social media exploded and our commentators told us that they always should swim. "It's the Olympic Games, not an ordinary youth tournament in ghent", he said. So all our swimmers didn't had any sleep tonight and one of the swimmers told us that he wanted to go home: "fucking put me on a plane", he said. Than they decided to swim, but one of those guys didn't want to, but the one qualified for the 200 butterfly strike final, decided to swim. They said it would be difficult to qualify, but they just qualified. While most of them only had 1 or 2 hours of sleep. Most of them told us that they swam on adrenaline.

It was crazy.. it's the only thing i heard today swimming, swimming and again swimming... . But okay we are qualified for 4 x 200 metres strike with even having rest to our best swimmer and we can swim against usa, australia, japan, great-britain, germany, russia and the netherlands. It's quite amazing that both the low countries are qualified against the best countries in the world, and we also left nations behind like france.

:laughing:

it was a strong heat.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
YEEEEES

Surprise victory against Australia. What is happening. We are surprising everyday in a lot of sports. I thought we wouldn't win a medal in the Games. And we already won two medals and are on course to win even more medals and surprise the world. Good job!

Australia was third on 2012, third in 2008 and they were olympic champions in Athens! They won both the WC of 2010 and 2014. And they are the current number ones on the world ranking. AND WE BEAT THEM. WE WON!!!! This is such a surprise victory. Now we need to win against Spain and New Zealand and we will win our group, and than we are likely to met netherlands, india, germany or argentina. Probably Argentina, and if we win that match, we are in semi-finals and from that point, everything is possible. We are surprising the world. We actually have no chance for a medal, but you'll never know what's possible. :) I would say 5 percent MAX.

We also won against Great-Britain with 5-1. And we won against Brazil with 12-0 and they cried so they decided to hug the team :)

SO CUTE

Now back to swimming, because this is a historical day for Belgium. We never had so much Belgians in a final... :)

·
Registered
9,771 Posts
Yay for Olympics love watching all the nation's and teams compete. I cheer my country (go US). But I like to cheer and watch all the events I can. Wish I could see more coverage othet teams besides the anticipated top spots. Anyways I'm really looking forward to track, decathalon /heptathalon, and triathlon. I hope the new men's recorder holder for pole vault made it sense it was broke just back in February. Anyways enough rambling from me now for more Olympic stuff :D

·
MOTM June 2012
9,330 Posts
Phelps continues to be a champion. There was talk about him not suited to head the Americans in the opening ceremony as the flag bearer due to his DUIS, and marijuana charges, but I think that was all a bunch of bullshit. For one thing, he's clean now, he learned his lesson, and America and the world loves a comeback story. Secondly, even drinking and smoking weed, he was STILL a champion. Thirdly, he's the most decorated Olympic athlete of all time. And that stare down was pretty solid. Not only that, but he put a motherfucker in his place where it counts and beat him in the water. Champ status all around. Also very cool since he hails from my home state.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
WE HAVE A MEDAL. SILVER!!! Pieter Timmers finished second in 100 metres free strike for men. This is incredible and unbelievable. Again unexpected. ALL OUR MEDALS ARE SURPRISES. The media didn't anticipate any of them, didn't expect any of them. They are all outperforming. I can't believe it.

We already have more medals than people thought we would have. We have a gold, a silver and a bronze medal.

·
Banned
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #98 (Edited)
Phelps continues to be a champion. There was talk about him not suited to head the Americans in the opening ceremony as the flag bearer due to his DUIS, and marijuana charges, but I think that was all a bunch of bullshit. For one thing, he's clean now, he learned his lesson, and America and the world loves a comeback story. Secondly, even drinking and smoking weed, he was STILL a champion. Thirdly, he's the most decorated Olympic athlete of all time. And that stare down was pretty solid. Not only that, but he put a motherfucker in his place where it counts and beat him in the water. Champ status all around. Also very cool since he hails from my home state.
I agree especially because Phelps is only 31. There's probably NFL stars that've gone bankrupt multiple times and had 3 kids with 3 different women before they're 30. I don't buy into the idea that athletes need to be good role-models. Some of them just ain't so great. Although I did get tired of the American refrain, "I dunno 'bout all that queer gymnastics stuff. Allz I know is we got a boy what can swim like uh fish!" Meh. Good on Phelps. He kicked ass. End of story.

Reactions: Stable Genius

·
Registered
508 Posts
WE HAVE A MEDAL. SILVER!!! Pieter Timmers finished second in 100 metres free strike for men. This is incredible and unbelievable. Again unexpected. ALL OUR MEDALS ARE SURPRISES. The media didn't anticipate any of them, didn't expect any of them. They are all outperforming. I can't believe it.

We already have more medals than people thought we would have. We have a gold, a silver and a bronze medal.

I wish things like this were more exciting in the U.S. Basically we don't care if somebody loses because we know somebody else will just turn around and win.. It's really just a big yawn here.. ..

·
Banned
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
I think more Belgians are interested in the start of the English Premier League next week than the start of the Olympic Games this year.
5 days later ...

ALL OUR MEDALS ARE SURPRISES. The media didn't anticipate any of them, didn't expect any of them. They are all outperforming. I can't believe it.
Lol. Bet they're paying attention now ;)

81 - 100 of 110 Posts