Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Personal concepts

1. What is beauty? What is love?
I've not put much thought into the nature of beauty. The closest thing I can relate to is the idea that we find beautiful the things that we value but are absent in our lives.

Not that I'm completely committed to that.

My thoughts on love are rather negative. I don't really believe in it but only because I don't think I've ever experienced it in a pure way. By pure, I mean without the interference of dependence like with one's parents or guardians.

2. What are your most important values?
Self sufficiency. Relentless pursuit of one's ambitions. Appreciation of the absurd.

3. Do you have any sort of spiritual/religious beliefs, and why do you hold (or don't) those beliefs in the first place?
I'm not religious or spiritual. This life is the only one I can confidently count on experiencing so I want to make the most of it working on something that I will (hopefully) outlive me.

4. Opinion on war and militaries? What is power to you?
Purpose is almost always obscured by excessive patriotism and feel-good rhetoric. More destructive than constructive. Sometimes a necessary evil.

Power is mastery of the self and one's environment.

Interests

5. What have you had long conversations about? What are your interests? Why?
Long...conversations?

My interests outside of my area of study are rather mundane. Exercising, reading, cooking, contemplating my immaterial existence, organizing, sleeping, music, people watching. They either stimulate my creativity or simply bring me pleasure.

6. Interested in health/medicine as a conversation topic? Are you focused on your body?
Yes. I study molecular biology with a focus on regenerative medicine so that's always a fun topic to discuss. I'm focused on my body to the existent that I want to feel and look healthy. I go through phases of fashion consciousness but I focus more on clean food and exercise.

7. What do you think of daily chores?
Troublesome. I really dislike things without resolutions but I do them because I need external structure since my head is kind of a busy place.

8. Books or films you liked? Recently read/watched or otherwise. Examples welcome.
An interesting book I'm reading right now is Robert Greene's Mastery. It's sort of a biographical compilation of famous people and their individual processes of self-actualization. I'm not really up to date on TV and movies with the exception of House of Cards and Hannibal which are two shows I greatly enjoy. A couple of people have managed to get me into sports anime of all things. I never realized just how funny those shows were.

9. What has made you cry? What has made you smile? Why?
Cry: Frustration with being misunderstood and feeling abandoned.

Smile: Absurdity. Both the unexpected and the intentional kind. Offensively cute things.

10. Where do you feel: at one with the environment/a sense of belonging?
Alone at a park. On the edge of sleep. Secluded courtyard at night.

Pretty much anywhere I'm alone, it's quiet, and I'm not aware of at least four walls around me.

Evaluation & Behaviour

11. What have people seen as your weaknesses? What do you dislike about yourself?
Others: Over protective of my privacy. Sometimes too indifferent. I was told by someone who I used to be friends with that my biggest flaw is that I tend to see everything as an obstacle and assume everyone is an enemy until they prove themselves otherwise.

Me: Difficulty being vulnerable and a tendency to use people and then disappear. Difficulty staying motivated when there's no personal interest. Easily irritated. More moody than I'd care to admit.

12. What have people seen as your strengths? What do you like about yourself?
Others: The same person who told me the thing above also, in the same conversation, said that I can be witty and magnetic when I actually care enough to try. I've been told I'm a good problem solver because I'm immediately able to sort the relevant from the bullshit and get to the core of a problem.

Me: I like that I don't take too much too seriously. I'm not afraid of failure or confronting my own weaknesses, I just don't like broadcasting them to others. I like to think that I'm clever. To use a particularly memorable example, I had an assignment in an engineering class to estimate the height of a construction crane by sight. While everyone else was trying to measure by the length of it's shadow and the sun's position or use their thumb as a relative measurement, I decided to look up the company printed on the side of it and identified the crane visually from their online rental catalog where they listed it's specs. Unfortunately, the professor didn't like my solution.

13. In what areas of your life would you like help?
Wish I knew more about practical adult business like banking, the legal system, or filling taxes but that's what the internet is for.

14. Ever feel stuck in a rut? If yes, describe the causes and your reaction to it.
Losing sight of what motivates me. Extreme withdrawal coupled with increased restlessness and a lowered agitation threshold.

People & Interactions

15. What qualities do you most like and dislike in other people? What types do you get along with?
Honesty + good communication skills. In other words, someone who isn't afraid to tell it like it is. I need to know up front where I stand with people because I suck at judging those sorts of things on my own. In my day to day life, I notice that I tend to attract ExFPs. That would translate to IEE and SEE, I believe. And I couldn't possibly explain why.

16. How do you feel about romance/sex? What qualities do you want in a partner?
I completely separate the two. Sex is desirable and makes sense to me but the culture of "one true love" and "soul mates" is extremely unappealing. I appreciate honesty + good communication skills. I have a thing for people who know when to be silly and when to be serious.

17. If you were to raise a child, what would be your main concerns, what measures would you take, and why?
Oh that poor kid.

Well, I'd want them to understand the importance having their own mind and not just following the crowd or blindly obeying authority. I'd prefer to be the sort of parent who explains things to my kid honestly and not give them bad excuses. I wouldn't attempt to dumb down things like death or childbirth.

I'd also be a unrepentant dad joker.

18. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward and outward reaction?
Depends on the claim and how they made it. If it's malicious and obvious from their wording that they haven't put any real thought into it I may probe them about why they think that. I wouldn't try to forcibly change their mind but I'd definitely attempt to plant a seed of doubt and let it grow on its own. If it's benign I'd probably try to make a joke out of it.

19. Describe your relationship to society. How do you see people as a whole? What do you consider a prevalent social problem? Name one.
I gave up on trying to make sense of it long ago. People just are. Most aren't interesting enough to hold my attention for too long. I think the ego is the biggest barrier to social equality. People are too afraid to analyze things they've taken for granted or criticize things they hold dear. Too afraid of a pain and failure to see its potential as a growth mechanism.

20. How do you choose your friends and how do you behave around them?
They seem interesting and I want to know how they tick.
I'm more outgoing and joking. Sometimes flirty if they seem the type to be receptive to it. I look for people who don't completely break when I bend them. Someone who's also able to appreciate the absurd.

21. How do you behave around strangers?
I ignore them unless they're interesting or deliberately trying to get my attention.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm wondering if I'll need to suffer through the 40 or 80 for a proper response...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The lack of response here is depressing even in light of the relative "slowness" of this sub-board.

If non-responding viewers could explain their difficulties with my questionnaire, I'd be graaateful. I'd also, be able to clarify.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts