Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
25 Interesting INTP Statistics & Facts | astroligion.com

25 INTP statistics
The INTP is one of the rarest personality types in the Myers Briggs, especially among women. And as their minority status might suggest, their way of life is bound to run counter to the social norms of the majority. There are many studies out there that have tested various aspects of MBTI personality types. Here are 25 INTP statistics you might find interesting.

1 Among a test sample of combat veterans, INTPs and ISTPs were found to be more likely to have dropped out of school and to have been convicted of a crime unrelated to substance abuse than other veterans.

2 Compared to other veterans, ISTPs and INTPs were also found to score higher on a Rebelliousness factor derived from MMPI content scales, to score lower on a Phobic Symptoms scale, to be more likely to earn a diagnosis of combat-related post-traumatic stress disorder on DSM IIJ-R/IV Axis I, and to be labeled “antisocial” and “avoidant” on Axis II. [source]

3 People of Caucasian descent are more likely to be an INTP than any other racial demographic at 8.76%. [source]

4 The INTP is the personality type that registers the highest IQ scores of any other personality demographic.

5 Singapore has the smallest percentage of INTP-A in their population (1.08%). Tunisia has the highest (3.27%). Iran has the highest percentage of INTP-T (15.07%) while the United Arab Emirates has the least (1.3%). INTPs are 3.79% of the U.S. population.

6 A study testing for reading efficiency among the personality types found that the two which evidenced the most and the least efficiency were the INTP and its opposite type the ESTP.

7 In a study published in the Journal of Psychological Type, it was found that ISTPs and INTPs were the personality types significantly over-represented among professional inventors. [source]
8Seventy-three participants who scored as ESTJ, ESFJ, INTP,, and INFP were assessed for PIC (a measure of cognitive complexity). The results were consistent with the hypothesis that INTP/INFP groups have significantly higher PIC scores than do ESTJ/ESFJ groups.

9 Isabel Myers’ father was an INTP. He was a physicist who worked as the director of the National Bureau of Standards in Washington D.C.

10 In a survey determining the MBTI types for all participants in a chemical dependency program, INTPs were over-represented among females and ESFJ females were under-represented.

11 In a study that examined the response of high school students, teachers, and school psychologists to type behavior, 3 student types (ENFP, ISTP, INTP) were found significantly more likely to have difficulty in the classroom and 4 student types (ENFP, ISTJ, INTJ, INTP) significantly more likely to be referred for counseling than other types.

12ENTJs both found more businesses and fail more often, while INTJs and INTPs seem to be more successful in High-Tech firms. [source]

13INTP men were found to be the most “oblivious” romantic partners of all the types. [source]

14 Analysis of Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) information from the New Zealand database of MBTI records showed scientists tended to be INTJ or INTP. Managers tended to be ESTJ or ENTJ type.

15 The most common types reported in a sample of 931 gifted adolescents who attended a public residential academy were INTJ, INTP, INFP, ENFP, and ENTP. INTPs comprised 12.5% of the sample. [source]

16 A study measuring type and argumentativeness found that the four most argumentative types were ENTJ, INTJ, INTP, and ENTP. INTPs are therefore the 3rd most argumentative type. [source]

17 INTPs are the second most loyal customers (right after INTJs). A study tracked how long the people of each type had maintained a business relationship with an automobile dealership. It turned out that the average “customer organization relationship” length for INTPs was 13.0 years; for the INTJs, it was 18.0 years, five years longer. By comparison, the average customer relationship lasted only 5.7 years.

18 An actual scientific study has confirmed that cats are the INTP animal of choice. A Big Five study measured the personality preferences of 4,565 cat and dog lovers. Cat lovers, tended to have higher openness and higher neuroticism. Cat lovers, then, are more likely than average to be INPs. [source]

19INTPs may actually be better than average at detecting lies. One study found that the more ENTP preferences you have, the better you are at spotting when someone is lying. [source]

20 INTPs are only the 10th most likely type to develop heart disease and hypertension.

21 In a survey of coping mechanisms used by the types, INTPs are the 2nd least likely type to share their problems with someone close. They are also the least likely to rely on religious beliefs.

22One study found that INTPs were more likely than average to marry fellow INTPs. [source]

23 A study of workplace values found that although 61.5% of INTPs liked the work environment characteristic “Work as part of team,” they actually liked it the least of all types.

24 73.7% of INTPs indicated that they liked the work environment characteristic “Clear structures and responsibility,” this however was actually the lowest percentage of all types.

25It is a common misconception that INTPs are not religious. INTPs have a higher than average rate of agnosticism (16.2% are agnostic) and atheism (11.1% are atheistic). They are the type second most likely to be agnostic and the third most likely to be atheistic. But, 72.7% of INTPs do believe in a higher spiritual power whether that comes in the form of traditional orthodoxy or a general spirituality.

·
Registered
29,196 Posts
There are people who hate people and love animals. But I don't like people or animals. There's a very small intersection, 2% don't like either one.
Paraphrased from Larry David.
His character is highly anti-people and grumpy.

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can confirm. I'm a human lie detector. Most people are too easy to figure out.
Agreed. My friends would always talk about how amazed hey we're by my lie detecting abilities.

·
Registered
INTP
5,294 Posts
I agree with the lying thing.

Only problem is it gives me a propensity for being drawn straight into conspiracy theories, simply because they often make more sense than the supposed truth (even if the conspiracy theory is pretty much bollocks too).

For general everyday human interactions, however, yes I must say it's usually fucking obvious when person is bullshitting.

Regarding the points in the list, I don't really agree with this one:

16 A study measuring type and argumentativeness found that the four most argumentative types were ENTJ, INTJ, INTP, and ENTP. INTPs are therefore the 3rd most argumentative type
I always thought INTPs (including myself) were known for being incredibly laid back.

The only time I'll 'argue' is when a point needs to be made for the sake of clarification. It isn't at all argumentative though. At best it would be a logical point of discussion. Never would I do anything confrontational. I would rather keep my mouth shut instead of causing friction between people.

·
Banned
3,444 Posts
I think the whole "I'm a good lie detector" thing is Dunning-Kuger. INTPs are naïve and guileless as a species, so we just assume everyone else is, "except those damn bullshiters."

We're bathed in a world of bullshit all the time. The fact that we point to a few obvious lies is just probably a tragic case of, "no shit, Sherlock."

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I think the whole "I'm a good lie detector" thing is Dunning-Kuger. INTPs are naïve and guileless as a species, so we just assume everyone else is, "except those damn bullshiters."

We're bathed in a world of bullshit all the time. The fact that we point to a few obvious lies is just probably a tragic case of, "no shit, Sherlock."
What are you talking about? Everyone knows that "INTP" is synonymous with "skeptic". I think you're mixing INTPs with certain kinds of autists. Some of our social antennas may lack a screw or two, but I think a vast majority of us have enough self reflection to know it.

The INTP you're thinking of fits with the whole "obliviousness" part, which is connected to being super introspective, never minding our surroundings. "Yes, the components are as I imagined it. Proceeding to next phase. Small details in the environment? Shut up, irrelevant."

When we don't lock ourselves inside, however, we're pretty damn good lie detectors. Naturally it's all about expectations, so when comes down to credibility, the INTP takes the cake. An already skeptic INTP is a sphinx, I tell you.

·
Banned
5,683 Posts
I'm extremely argumentative, more so than normally would be expected, but the truth is the most important thing. I can't have people going around spreading incorrect information (my professors). I would of course agree with being a living BS detector.

Sent from my ASUS_A002A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
608 Posts
What are you talking about? Everyone knows that "INTP" is synonymous with "skeptic". I think you're mixing INTPs with certain kinds of autists. Some of our social antennas may lack a screw or two, but I think a vast majority of us have enough self reflection to know it.

The INTP you're thinking of fits with the whole "obliviousness" part, which is connected to being super introspective, never minding our surroundings. "Yes, the components are as I imagined it. Proceeding to next phase. Small details in the environment? Shut up, irrelevant."

When we don't lock ourselves inside, however, we're pretty damn good lie detectors. Naturally it's all about expectations, so when comes down to credibility, the INTP takes the cake. An already skeptic INTP is a sphinx, I tell you.

Yes INTPs are naïve and guileless as a species. But the INTP animal has been describe as a discrepancy machine. We live in our heads. We create a detailed model of the world in our heads. We are very sensitive to when something does not fit that model. Is the model broken or is the new information invalid? We go into over analysis to correct the problem. Hence the lie is revealed. Either that or we have created a complete but internally consistent fiction that is compatible with our mental model of the world.

·
Banned
3,444 Posts

Yes INTPs are naïve and guileless as a species. But the INTP animal has been describe as a discrepancy machine. We live in our heads. We create a detailed model of the world in our heads. We are very sensitive to when something does not fit that model. Is the model broken or is the new information invalid? We go into over analysis to correct the problem. Hence the lie is revealed. Either that or we have created a complete but internally consistent fiction that is compatible with our mental model of the world.
Naïve is not autistic. Naïve is just naïve.

And since it's seems true that "the more I learn the less I know," when people are waxing rhapsodically about how much they/we/I know or can discern...well. Remember I'm old. And have learned. Things. In the way that things over years will add up and change your mind.

Here's the proof: you might, in fact, even be right now. Maybe INTPs have this superpower and I'm wrong again. Which is part of why I say at this point in my life, I don't go around talking about my knowledge abilities. It's Si in action. (Do you really want to commit to always knowing that? Remember what happened before? Etc.)

It certainly seems like hubris to talk about all the lies you sniffed out, when of course, it's impossible to say how many you didn't unless they had a direct effect on your life. One day, one might, and then you might agree by logical extension. Or not.

I will say I have pointed out liars to people of other types who were not aware of the lying, yes. But that doesn't make me an expert. I also run faster than my mother, but I'm not a great runner. So maybe we've just hung out with people even more naïve than we are. There are so many possibilities other than "we're awesome at this." I pick that one last, because it just feels like a setup. Sometimes there just isn't enough information to say for sure who's telling the truth about anything. Fortunately, I trust those close to me, and everyone else, I don't really care.

·
Registered
608 Posts

And since it's seems true that "the more I learn the less I know," when people are waxing rhapsodically about how much they/we/I know or can discern...well. Remember I'm old. And have learned. Things. In the way that things over years will add up and change your mind.

Here's the proof: you might, in fact, even be right now. Maybe INTPs have this superpower and I'm wrong again. Which is part of why I say at this point in my life, I don't go around talking about my knowledge abilities. It's Si in action. (Do you really want to commit to always knowing that? Remember what happened before? Etc.)

It certainly seems like hubris to talk about all the lies you sniffed out, when of course, it's impossible to say how many you didn't unless they had a direct effect on your life. One day, one might, and then you might agree by logical extension. Or not.

I will say I have pointed out liars to people of other types who were not aware of the lying, yes. But that doesn't make me an expert. I also run faster than my mother, but I'm not a great runner. So maybe we've just hung out with people even more naïve than we are. There are so many possibilities other than "we're awesome at this." I pick that one last, because it just feels like a setup. Sometimes there just isn't enough information to say for sure who's telling the truth about anything. Fortunately, I trust those close to me, and everyone else, I don't really care.
Agreed the INTP polygraph is only as reliable as our mental model of the world is accurate. The more time we spend building and refining our mental model the better and more nuanced the filter becomes. And because of our detached nature we do not always take the time to run experiences through the discrepancy engine. But when we do we do so without the coloration of emotion and see patterns that most others miss. We do not have the near mystic INFJ insight into people. We just are not that interested in most other humans.

Reactions: s2theizay

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

I don't know about you, but I tend to absorb information about pretty much everything that I come into contact with, people included. Coupled with at least decent logic skills and not being autistic, and you can not only tell that someone is lying, you can tell exactly how and why. It's not a hunch thing, it's an assessment of someone's statements or behavior based on logic, previous statements and behavior, temperament, other people, prior knowledge, objective reality etc. It's essentially a pattern recognition thing.

I don't go around telling people that I know they're lying to me or somebody else. I don't care enough to do that. I make a note of it and I keep it to myself.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts

Be honest. Would you defer to someone else's judgment based on a "I'm older and more experienced" argument? Of course not. At least not when not only your own common sense, but the generalized MBTI description of INTP is telling you the exact opposite of what you're hearing.

I agree with you on the Si part, though, which is why I'm not bringing that in. I have a lot of personal experience to make for input here, but already knowing what you just wrote, it's better left out. Generalization is the most vague, and therefor the most accurate way to put it. It leaves room for everyone's experience and will still be more or less just as likely as before.

Speaking of Si. If there's a spectrum between cynicism and naivete, the INTP practically lies in bed with the former. Deep inside, he wants to move back with naivete, but it doesn't give him the security he needs, so he'll be bound to cynicism until death do them part. Like a jealous husband.

Also, you were the one that brought up the Dunning-Kruger effect. To have such bad metacognitive abilities, you'd have to be very unreceptive/narrow-minded towards external feedback. The link to autism is there, although not directly. "Certain kinds of autists", by the way.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
A liar must play on a listeners' emotions to be believed. IE, the listener wants to trust the liar, or does not want to feel like the only one who doesn't believe. Those are things that intps don't care too much about.
I don't know if that makes us any better at lie detection than other types.

·
Banned
3,444 Posts
Be honest. Would you defer to someone else's judgment based on a "I'm older and more experienced" argument?
1. "Be honest." :laughing:

The fact that you think I haven't been honest the whole time or need reminding doesn't exactly make the case for your awesome Ti Veracity rosetta stone. Or maybe it does. Maybe I'm still not being honest and you're right. In which case, please just let me know when I stop lying to everyone, will you? Use that superpower thing INTPs have.

2. The fact it apparently didn't occur to you that when I appealed to experience/Si, that someone like me would expect someone like you to reject an experience-based argument indignantly, and yet I made it anyway because I still thought it was accurate (given there's no other way to get Si except experience) also doesn't bode well for one's developing/developed interpersonal insight powers.

3. If I were making a case based just on this exchange, it would pretty much be made. So even though I have no interest in formally doing so, feel free to sock this bit away in your Si for use someday on the whippersnappers when you need to tell them how, "sometimes when you think you have someone figured out, you really don't." Expect them to say, "I figure out people like a boss, so get off my back!" even though you were, in truth, never on anyone's back at all. Expect them to not expect you to expect any of this.

4. My position, were I to make it, would be based in deterministic chaos. Saying, "but the (approximate) expected!" Doesn't exactly make a debate, then. I offered that position in case someone wanted to hold out space for being wrong. Feel free not to, and let me know how it goes. I expect it will be a good story, but there are those vulnerable expectations again.

5. Older people generally don't ask me to defer to them, so I'm unable to answer your query. Deference hierarchies are likely a young man's game. It's playing checkers, and my olds tend to play chess. (And hooray for that.)

·
Banned
3,444 Posts
Speaking of Si. If there's a spectrum between cynicism and naivete, the INTP practically lies in bed with the former. Deep inside, he wants to move back with naivete, but it doesn't give him the security he needs, so he'll be bound to cynicism until death do them part. Like a jealous husband.
Also, let's just examine that bed, shall we? Which is the more cynical statement?

A. "I am INTP and therefore have Plato's Ideal Forms and Archimedes's wet dreams inscribed on my gray matter, which makes me a goddamn super lie detector and thus protected from all the slings and arrows of all the liars in the world because every MBTI definition says so. No one will ever take me by surprise! Ah...cozy bed and pillows...goodnight!"

B. "If I ever had a clue about people's honestly at any given time, it only takes one time being wrong to make the whole business unreliable for application. So for all I know, the bus of corrupt humanity could blindside me at any moment. I'm a quivering gelatinous nerve ending in the visceral goo of life, just like everyone is. Whatever. I've learned to make the best of it, because this is all there is."

Fun fact: I was B.

I'd ask you to keep protesting because I actually find naïveté charming and adorable, but I expect you'd find that condescending.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Also, let's just examine that bed, shall we? Which is the more cynical statement?

A. "I am INTP and therefore have Plato's Ideal Forms and Archimedes's wet dreams inscribed on my gray matter, which makes me a goddamn super lie detector and thus protected from all the slings and arrows of all the liars in the world because every MBTI definition says so. No one will ever take me by surprise! Ah...cozy bed and pillows...goodnight!"

B. "If I ever had a clue about people's honestly at any given time, it only takes one time being wrong to make the whole business unreliable for application. So for all I know, the bus of corrupt humanity could blindside me at any moment. I'm a quivering gelatinous nerve ending in the visceral goo of life, just like everyone is. Whatever. I've learned to make the best of it, because this is all there is."

I'd ask you to keep protesting because I actually find naïveté charming and adorable, but I expect you'd find that condescending.
Definitely A is the more cynical statement.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts

Now you're just projecting.

1. "Be honest." :laughing:

The fact that you think I haven't been honest the whole time or need reminding doesn't exactly make the case for your awesome Ti Veracity rosetta stone. Or maybe it does. Maybe I'm still not being honest and you're right. In which case, please just let me know when I stop lying to everyone, will you? Use that superpower thing INTPs have.

2. The fact it apparently didn't occur to you that when I appealed to experience/Si, that someone like me would expect someone like you to reject an experience-based argument indignantly, and yet I made it anyway because I still thought it was accurate (given there's no other way to get Si except experience) also doesn't bode well for one's developing/developed interpersonal insight powers.

3. If I were making a case based just on this exchange, it would pretty much be made. So even though I have no interest in formally doing so, feel free to sock this bit away in your Si for use someday on the whippersnappers when you need to tell them how, "sometimes when you think you have someone figured out, you really don't." Expect them to say, "I figure out people like a boss, so get off my back!" even though you were, in truth, never on anyone's back at all. Expect them to not expect you to expect any of this.

4. My position, were I to make it, would be based in deterministic chaos. Saying, "but the (approximate) expected!" Doesn't exactly make a debate, then. I offered that position in case someone wanted to hold out space for being wrong. Feel free not to, and let me know how it goes. I expect it will be a good story, but there are those vulnerable expectations again.

5. Older people generally don't ask me to defer to them, so I'm unable to answer your query. Deference hierarchies are likely a young man's game. It's playing checkers, and my olds tend to play chess. (And hooray for that.)
1+5. When I say "Be honest" in cases such as this, it's not really about honesty, but more a polite way of saying "Please revisit that BS statement of yours." I wanted you to put yourself in my shoes for a second and repeat it if "my experience is not only more valuable than yours, but more valid than actual arguments" was what you actually meant. Being a "young man" may be something completely alien to you, but I didn't initially think it would be a problem for you to stretch your imagination a little bit.

2. Ah, you expected me to protest against a statement such as that... that's a relief. Perhaps you know how young men think, after all. Or not. Anyway, it doesn't change a thing. I congratulate you on your own interpersonal abilities, but I don't see how that's relevant except you making your case of how insightful you are. Not to mention that it sounds a whole lot like hindsight bias, so let's just say that I'll take it with a grain of salt.

3. I get what you're saying here, but I never disagreed with the whole "you think you know someone..." thing, which makes your projection of my response (A) just a strawman. Talking Si here, it's indeed a thing where a mentality like that will prove quite the opposite, but it's not like "INTP" in a generalized sense will have that mentality just because I say they're good. This all comes back to what I said about skepticism and how it's one of INTP's more central descriptions.

4. Deny generalization and you deny MBTI. Which is mighty fine and all that, but it seems pretty pointless to argue the nature of INTPs in which case. Sure, we can tweak it a bit to make interesting discussion, but if that was what you wanted then I wonder why you'd make master suppression arguments such as "I'm older than you" to begin with. Seems contradictory in terms.

Master suppression techniques also include ridicule. I think it's pretty clear that what you want isn't a debate, but submission.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts