Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been doing lot of studying, with the Enneagram system, and so far I've only managed to narrow it down to these three in particular. I am having problems narrowing it down. There was a point where I thought I was a 5, but I don't see myself as a five now at this rate. The more studying I do separately on 9, the closer it sounds to me. However, when I talk to others, they say 7 sounds the most like me. There seems to be a disconnect, where me and other people are not on the same page and it makes me curious.I could see how I could come off as image conscious to a degree, though I wouldn't say I like validation from others (Well maybe one or two people in particular.) though I believe it is possible there could be a point.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. What drives you in life? What do you look for?

What drives me in life is enjoying a variety of different things, and understanding others. To some extent, I can admit that I like being praised by others, despite how little it happens. Sad.

2. What do you hope to accomplish in your life?

I hope to find someone I care about and enjoy my life with them and be able to be true to myself.

3. What do you hope to avoid doing or being? What values are important to you?

I would hope never to become like the people I dislike; close-minded, unaccepting, and overly rigid or dogmatic. I believe in giving every person a chance, and prefer to understand others. Being open-minded, understanding, considerate, yet true to myself works for me.

4. What are your biggest fears (not including phobias)? Why?

Well, if I were to go off my dreams, in which I tend to imagine walking back to my home from a store nearby and before I get there, I find a fully grown male Lion waking up from a rest in front of my house and coming after me. I tend to dream of stumbling across random animals out of nowhere while I am unprepared. So I assume, my worst fear is being thrown into a situation I am unprepared for.

5. How do you want others to see you? How do you see yourself?

I would like others to see me as a kind, helpful, and not mean person merely because I can be considered strict as such, or I can appear to be trying to prevent a possible dangerous future, so in the present I could seem mean. I see myself as a distant observer of the world, constantly watching how people work while I interact with them. I don't necessarily see myself as a super intelligent person, but I don't believe I am completely dumb as well. I suppose, I seem like someone wrapped up in my own individuality to an extent, whom also worries a lot about others.

6. What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?

I enjoy working on something, or being engaged in doing something. Having nothing to do tends to make me feel very bored in general, and a sense of emptiness floods over me, a sort of discomfort.

7. Describe how you experience each of: a) anger; b) shame; c) anxiety.

Anger: I am very vocal, loud, and expressive of it. Anger for me, is like falling into a slippery ditch. Once I am in it, it becomes difficult to get out of it until I wait for the walls to somehow become dry when I can climb out of it.

Shame: It's a mixed bag. In some way, I find myself feeling at my worst.. I tend to think I'm not worthy of.. Well anything.

Anxiety: I am not really sure, because I am hardly ever anxious. Though, I suppose the closest I get to it, would be I essentially can't stop myself from talking because silence tends to make me the most anxious in a conversation.

8. Describe how you respond to each of: a) stress; b) unexpected change; c) conflict.

A: I either try to overthink a solution, yell and emit slight fits of rage or try to think about other topics outside of whatever is currently stressing.

B. I get frustrated whenever things don't go according to plans, especially after me and the other person work things out for it. Unexpected change can be highly frustrating for me in some ways, but slightly welcoming in others.

C. I either engage the conflict or avoid the potential conflict if I feel it's unneeded. Though, I can easily engage in a conflict if need be, I am not afraid to confront someone if something needs to be addressed at all, especially if other people are involved. If not, I would rather not waste my time.

9. Describe your orientation to: a) authority; b) power. How do you respond to these?

A. Authority I feel works well, and yet despite being fine on it's own, however people misuse their power on a continuous basis and thus it becomes diluted, rebelled against and ridiculed. Interestingly, I don't tend to like authority when it's being placed on me, but I do like it more when I am the authority. Mostly, because I trust myself with it more than anyone else.

B. Similar to what I spoke about Authority, with varying differences.

10. What is your overall outlook on life and humanity?

I view life as an experience in which we learn lessons through every moment we experience. The experiences we go through give us an opportunity to become more than who we are, and that despite what society tells us, one's life should not be dictated as being able to be lived in only one way. There are a variety of ways to enjoy life before we reach our end, as long as you live a life without regrets, a good life is achieved. Also, if you have a passion for something, pursue it with every inch of your strength. Humanity confuses and intrigues me, because of how they work. There are a lot of contradictions placed in places we don't notice. For an example, we are constantly told by the media not to do drugs, not to drink and drive, and to be upstanding moral citizens. Yet, one of the best ways to connect with others is through drinking with others, accepting you have flaws through your choices, and sometimes even doing drugs due to the fact that it is something a lot of people can relate to, despite this, I would never do it. However, this is only one of the many intriguing ways people are interesting. I can admit, my view of humanity is analytically idealistic, to say the least.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
9w8 is starting to look like a more viable option the more I look into it.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I don't know if I agree with 9w8. In my opinion, you sound more like a type 1w9. I don't have a specific reason to think this way, just a general feeling. You seem to be a highly idealistic and focused person, which I usually associate with type 1.

"Interestingly, I don't tend to like authority when it's being placed on me, but I do like it more when I am the authority. Mostly, because I trust myself with it more than anyone else."

Going by this line above, you seem to have high standards for other people, which is also a type 1 trait.

I don't think you're type 9 because you don't seem to be afraid or to actively avoid conflict, and, although you seem to be open-minded and accepting of others, I get the impression that you prefer to stand on your own (not relying on others, and not letting others taking control). Type 9s are usually more passive and don't like to take any particular position.

But, please, have in mind that I'm not that knowledgeable on the Enneagram, this is mostly just a guess.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know if I agree with 9w8. In my opinion, you sound more like a type 1w9. I don't have a specific reason to think this way, just a general feeling. You seem to be a highly idealistic and focused person, which I usually associate with type 1.

"Interestingly, I don't tend to like authority when it's being placed on me, but I do like it more when I am the authority. Mostly, because I trust myself with it more than anyone else."

Going by this line above, you seem to have high standards for other people, which is also a type 1 trait.

I don't think you're type 9 because you don't seem to be afraid or to actively avoid conflict, and, although you seem to be open-minded and accepting of others, I get the impression that you prefer to stand on your own (not relying on others, and not letting others taking control). Type 9s are usually more passive and don't like to take any particular position.

But, please, have in mind that I'm not that knowledgeable on the Enneagram, this is mostly just a guess.
I see.. It does match pretty well with the similar line of reasoning I have, certainly. I'll look more into 1w9. On a sidenote, is 5w4 a comfortable fit for you? Or have there ever been other ennegrams that you felt were closer to you?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Out of curiosity, @Turi can you tell me what you make of this? Mind you, I'm not sure how much you're into ennegrams.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I see.. It does match pretty well with the similar line of reasoning I have, certainly. I'll look more into 1w9. On a sidenote, is 5w4 a comfortable fit for you? Or have there ever been other ennegrams that you felt were closer to you?
I've been torn between 9w8 and 5w4 in the past, but I've come to the conclusion that 5w4 fits me better.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been torn between 9w8 and 5w4 in the past, but I've come to the conclusion that 5w4 fits me better.
I see, I wonder if 9w8 has the same effect on people as INFJ does? Where to some level, a variety of people can identify with it easier.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I see, I wonder if 9w8 has the same effect on people as INFJ does? Where to some level, a variety of people can identify with it easier.
I think so, the type itself seems able to "mimic" other types as it lacks a strong sense of self, and INFJs are also known for being "chameleon-like", so you can easily see yourself in them.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think so, the type itself seems able to "mimic" other types as it lacks a strong sense of self, and INFJs are also known for being "chameleon-like", so you can easily see yourself in them.
I did notice that about type 9 from the descriptions. Saying it could be similar to 7's, and other various ennegram types.. It made me think 9 was sort of like the fail-safe personality that you could fall back on in some ways.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I did notice that about type 9 from the descriptions. Saying it could be similar to 7's, and other various ennegram types.. It made me think 9 was sort of like the fail-safe personality that you could fall back on in some ways.
I thought I had replied to this yesterday, but that doesn't seem to be the case...

Anyway, I also thought the same, but high conflict-avoidance and repression of anger are traits almost exclusively attributed to type 9, and I think those help to distinguish it from the other types.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought I had replied to this yesterday, but that doesn't seem to be the case...

Anyway, I also thought the same, but high conflict-avoidance and repression of anger are traits almost exclusively attributed to type 9, and I think those help to distinguish it from the other types.
I do believe I have those to an extent.. At least as far as repression of anger and conflict-avoidance can go. Though, I believe you make a good point with 1. A lot of it does seem more fitting.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Don't fall into the 5w4 trap, whatever you do. lol.

I don't know much about Enneagram, but I'd consider type 8.
The way you deal with anger matches, as does your fear.

Reactions: Xcopy

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't fall into the 5w4 trap, whatever you do. lol.

I don't know much about Enneagram, but I'd consider type 8.
The way you deal with anger matches, as does your fear.
That is the one I can admit, I relate to the most.. But now I need to see what possible Wings I could be. Between 8w7 and 8w9.

Reactions: Turi
1 - 15 of 15 Posts