Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... apparently new members can't post links. Boo. I created a Buzzfeed article I hope you can check out and provide suggestions for how to improve.

I would like it to be more in depth and awesome for a sequel. I was inspired by the recent Introverts one to create it and represent the rarest, best personality :)

A bit about me - I have taken tests many times over the years and always end up INFJ. I identify by it strongly, frequently attributing things to my "letters." One of my friends gets annoyed by this and doesn't like the idea of labeling things like that. Anybody else know someone similar?

Since I can't post a link I'm hoping you all can Google "31 INFJ Problems - Buzzfeed" because it's the first result.

Thanks! I look forward to meeting you all.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
31 INFJ Problems

#18. "I blame the F… and the J…"

Um, those are the same thing. The "J" in INFJ represents "Fe" which, as introverts, is our auxiliary Jungian Cognitive Function. It's what other people most immediately notice us externalizing and why we can be mistaken for extraverts. It's a Judgment function (F and T are) and because it's extraverted in our case we get a "J" just like ENTJ do for their dominant Extraverted Thinking (Te - Ni - Se - Fi) and ENFJ for their dominant Extraverted Feeling (Fe - Ni - Se - Ti).

It's entertaining and a quick read, thanks!

P.ost S.cript

#3. IS THAT AMANDA BYNES?! Saying, "Thaaaat's me!" ? o____O If so, that's frighteningly almost poetic, considering...

Reactions: Kizuna

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
#18. "I blame the F… and the J…"

Um, those are the same thing. The "J" in INFJ represents "Fe" which, as introverts, is our auxiliary Jungian Cognitive Function. It's what other people most immediately notice us externalizing and why we can be mistaken for extraverts. It's a Judgment function (F and T are) and because it's extraverted in our case we get a "J" just like ENTJ do for their dominant Extraverted Thinking (Te - Ni - Se - Fi) and ENFJ for their dominant Extraverted Feeling (Fe - Ni - Se - Ti).

It's entertaining and a quick read, thanks!

P.ost S.cript

#3. IS THAT AMANDA BYNES?! Saying, "Thaaaat's me!" ? o____O If so, that's frighteningly almost poetic, considering...
Thank you! Ah, I appreciate you explaining it in greater detail! They stopped offering it at the university I used to work at because it was too confusing and have started using "True Colors" instead.

and yes, poor, poor, Amanda. :(

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
So... apparently new members can't post links. Boo. I created a Buzzfeed article I hope you can check out and provide suggestions for how to improve.

I would like it to be more in depth and awesome for a sequel. I was inspired by the recent Introverts one to create it and represent the rarest, best personality :)

A bit about me - I have taken tests many times over the years and always end up INFJ. I identify by it strongly, frequently attributing things to my "letters." One of my friends gets annoyed by this and doesn't like the idea of labeling things like that. Anybody else know someone similar?

Since I can't post a link I'm hoping you all can Google "31 INFJ Problems - Buzzfeed" because it's the first result.

Thanks! I look forward to meeting you all.
To be honest most of the things on that list pretty much anyone would identify with in a given context. They're not really specific to INFJs per se. Certainly there are INFJs who might identify with those characteristics, but you certainly couldn't say 'only INFJs experience these things' or even "INFJs experience them more than another type.' You could have just easily typed up that list in the INFP forum and everyone would've gone "OMG that's me!"

Also, generally speaking, we don't type based on letter dichotomies it's not really I-N-F-J. INFJ is a code for Introverted Intuitive with an extraverted feeling auxiliary. INFJs are first and foremost intuitive types like their ENxP cousins. They lead with their hunches and intuitions and gut-notions about things. But unlike ENxPs whose intuitions are turned outward toward the objective world, INFJs tend to be more focused on the meta aspects of perception. Things like ontology, zeitgeist, spirit and so forth. Many great religious philosophers including people like Nietzsche were Introverted Intuitives. You sort of get a taste of it in the Biblical Book of John when he writes "in the beginning was the word, and the word was with God and the word was God..." This is really esoteric stuff, John is way off in the ether here. He's waxing poetically about stuff that has very little relationship to the tangible world.

In contrast, ENxP's intuitions, because they are extraverted are directed at the tangible outer world. The ENxP is more like the person who predicts how stocks will perform. A lot of Extraverted Intuitives find careers as agents, they are always sniffing out what's next, what's around the corner, what the next new thing is. You find them a plenty in journalism with a 'nose' for figuring out that a story might be unfolding. All forms of intuition operate largely without evidence, its just a hunch, but its a big difference between extraverted intuition where someone might be trying to ascertain whether or not an athlete will perform well in the pros, versus introverted intuition which might be more a notion about something like 'the underlying state of humanity.' Malcolm Gladwell is a self-proclaimed Introverted Intuitive (INTJ) and when you read his books you can really see that he's attempting to enlighten and explain what's really going on behind the scenes, not just articulate a surface value presentation of facts. Both Jung and Freud likely had preferences for Introverted Intuition (though neither was a Ni-dominant). Freud goes off about complexes and imagines the structure of psyche, all conceptual and all based on hunches about the way things work. Jung is a symbols expert and comes up with notions that there is a collective unconscious that ties us all together and he comes up with the notions of archetypes. These are all very Ni-ish concepts. Its why Introverted Intuitives are often mistaken for mystics (and some of them play off of it and call themselves psychics or ghost-hunters -- think John Edwards the guy who claims to communicate with the dead. Edwards is a clear Ni-dom).In primitive societies, the intuitive type would've likely been the 'medicine man' or spiritual leader of the group. Even in families you will often see functions divided up where one person is the more poetic spiritual type, one person is the action driven sensation type, another is the feeling type who tends to the group dynamic and the evaluative aspects and the other is the thinking strategist (obviously many homes aren't that neatly divided but that is a decent analogy).

INxJs, on some level, often just sort of understand what's going on at a basic level. When you pull the curtain back, stop paying attention to what's actually there tangibly at face value and begin to look at what the motivating factors are that is where you find many INxJs operating. And it is likely why you see so many of them in psychology, as teachers, preachers, educators, cult leaders, and occasionally artists. A famous Introverted Intuitive, Emanuel Swedenborg, the great religious philosopher would spend his time deep in thought about the nature of the Holy Trinity (much to the chagrin of his practical, down-to-earth sensation type wife who would've preferred he devoted his time to doing something that paid the bills).

There's a lot of stuff online about INFJs 'this' and INFJs "that" and quite honestly most of it is absolute garbage. I mean I've seen horoscopes with more accuracy. You'd be better off reading the chinese horoscopes off your plate at a restaurant than trusting half of what is online about MBTI types (especially if it comes from a source other than Myers-Briggs or Carl Jung or someone well versed in that literature). You get a lot of nonsense about INFJ 'doorslams' (as if this form of behavior could be universalized or was somehow inherent to a specific type of person) or INFJs being super sensitive and stuff. If you just read through the threads in this forum you'll see a lot of that kind of stuff like "can an INFJ be assertive?" type threads, which in most cases are people trying to codify their own personal experiences (which are probably not related to type) into a context. The tendency will be for people to say "Well because I'm shy, don't know how to get a date, and am misunderstood, that must mean all INFJs are like this." They are really trying to understand what is their own personal experience by trying to universalize and project those experiences as something that is endemic to all people who are INFJs and the results are sometimes really silly (unfortunately too few people are willing to come along and correct and so nonsense like INFJ doorslams are allowed to persist as these online phenomenon that a real psychologist would look at you like you were crazy for if you went in and started talking about).

Since you're obviously interested in this and self-development, before you post another thread on Buzzfeed (because it is an influential site and you don't want to mislead people I would imagine), I would do some homework. Read up on Introverted Intuitives in Psychological Types (the book upon which all this is built - Psychological Types - Wikisocion) and then you would really need to learn about Cognitive Functions and the theory behind Myers-Briggs (Gifts Differing, the book by Peter Myers is a good place to start). I also often send people to Peter Geyer's website because he does a good job of explaining the history of all this so you have some context (that alone is worth its weight in gold because as you keep going you will come across lots of different ideas relative to type like shadow functions and all this kind of stuff and you will need to know what is worth looking into and what is just someone's random idea that everyone has just run with). https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.petergeyer.com.au/library/Developing-type-history-Jung-today.pdf There are also a million books on the subject like Type Talk and Psychotherapy by Marie-Louise Von Franz, which are really I think required reading if you really want a good handle on it. Wish you well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hahaha! "Why are you making us feel this things?!"

For #26 (When peeps be all like, "You're too nice.") I would more likely to reply with a "Thank you" rather than "Whatevzz." Just saying, eheh :)

Awesome article though :) Thanks for sharing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts